Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms Novels
 Lolth's weakness
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Xander Fang
Acolyte

USA
11 Posts

Posted - 11 Mar 2004 :  19:47:52  Show Profile  Visit Xander Fang's Homepage Send Xander Fang a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
SPOILER!!!!!!!!

In the war of the spider queen series, vhaeraun makes an attempt to break into lolths temple only to be beaten back by the champion of lolth, selvetarm. My question is, why arent any of the other gods making a direct attempt to kill lolth or even to take over her worshipers, such as when waukeen disappeared. I mean i would think that Corellon Larethain would jump at the attempt to get rid of Lolth and bring back the drow to his fold, or even Eilistraee. either one of these gods could take on a wounded selvetarm and win. Or even a god that doesnt have anything to do with elves. I mean im surprised cyric hasnt even thrown his hat in, seeing that hes used to usurping deities followers and dominions, i would think he would love to have a race as powerful as the drow worshiping him.

Lord Rad
Great Reader

United Kingdom
2080 Posts

Posted - 11 Mar 2004 :  23:09:15  Show Profile  Visit Lord Rad's Homepage Send Lord Rad a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Good point, Xander!

Im not too up on the planes and deity rules, but are non-chaotic\evil deities permitted to approach Lolth in the Demonweb Pits? I wouldnt have thought they would be too comfortable in the Abyss and such even if they are able to enter

That said, I would expect other evil deties to at least toy with the idea of killing Lolth and taking over her portfolio. Maybe some already have, but have had no success!?

Lord Rad

"What? No, I wasn't reading your module. I was just looking at the pictures"
Go to Top of Page

Lameth
Learned Scribe

Germany
196 Posts

Posted - 11 Mar 2004 :  23:33:05  Show Profile  Visit Lameth's Homepage Send Lameth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Rad

Good point, Xander!

That said, I would expect other evil deties to at least toy with the idea of killing Lolth and taking over her portfolio. Maybe some already have, but have had no success!?

Maybe it`s too much work and too many new worshippers with the new domain.
Go to Top of Page

Shadowlord
Master of Realmslore

USA
1298 Posts

Posted - 12 Mar 2004 :  02:03:26  Show Profile  Visit Shadowlord's Homepage Send Shadowlord a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Deities are most powerful within their own realms. It would not be an easy task to kill Lolth, and the only reason Vhaeraun tried was because he owns a domain within the Demonweb. Also, what would happen should Lolth decide to reawaken at that time? No, things would be best if they were played out in full.

The Chosen of Vhaeraun
"Nature is governed by certain immutable rules. By virtue of claw and fang, the lion will always triumph over the goat.Given time, the pounding of the sea will wear away the stone. And when dark elves mingle with the lighter races, the offspring invariably take after the dark parent. It is all much the same. That which is greater shall prevail. Our numbers increase steadily, both through birth and conquest. The dark elves are the dominant race, so ordained by the gods." Ka'Narlist of the Ilythiiri.
Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 12 Mar 2004 :  04:54:56  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Shadowlord
No, things would be best if they were played out in full.

Not to mention we wouldn't have a novel series otherwise.
Go to Top of Page

Freakboy
Seeker

USA
63 Posts

Posted - 12 Mar 2004 :  05:49:55  Show Profile  Visit Freakboy's Homepage Send Freakboy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
First problem is that Lolth has barred her domain from all outside influences including divine ones. The only way Vhaerun was able to enter her domain was by getting his priest to go there and gate him in. On the issue of Eilistraee taking advantage of Lolths weakness to kill her, she is. In extinction, she charges Halisstra with killing lolth with the crescent sword. Overall, the weakest plot element in extinction. The idea of a mortal being charged with slaying a god is a bit much. In any case, as has been pointed out, Lolth has absolute control over her domain and can bar entry to anyone. Time will tell how they decide to end this, but I hope it isn't with Halisstra killing Lolth.
Go to Top of Page

Lord Rad
Great Reader

United Kingdom
2080 Posts

Posted - 12 Mar 2004 :  08:38:01  Show Profile  Visit Lord Rad's Homepage Send Lord Rad a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I think Freakboy and Shadowlord have hit the nail on the head

Lord Rad

Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 12 Mar 2004 :  14:28:44  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Freakboy

On the issue of Eilistraee taking advantage of Lolths weakness to kill her, she is. In extinction, she charges Halisstra with killing lolth with the crescent sword. Overall, the weakest plot element in extinction. The idea of a mortal being charged with slaying a god is a bit much. In any case, as has been pointed out, Lolth has absolute control over her domain and can bar entry to anyone. Time will tell how they decide to end this, but I hope it isn't with Halisstra killing Lolth.

Am I the only one that is really suspicious of Halisstra's new mission that was detailed above? I know it may be the case of reading too many books with dark elves, but I think it's some type of set up.
Go to Top of Page

Lord Rad
Great Reader

United Kingdom
2080 Posts

Posted - 12 Mar 2004 :  16:54:20  Show Profile  Visit Lord Rad's Homepage Send Lord Rad a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I must say im also concerned as well by what Freakboy says about Halisstra being given the task of killing Lloth. I was a little wary when I heard of Lisa Smedman writing Extinction after having read Heirs of Prophecy where there is a big deity-aids-mortal overload and a love-conquers-all type feel. I prefered the double-crossing Halisstra from Condemnation fooling the Eillistrae drow into believing she had converted However, I believe that this time, despite me hoping that it was all another sinister ploy, that she has indeed turned

Lord Rad

Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 13 Mar 2004 :  04:29:17  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Rad
I prefered the double-crossing Halisstra from Condemnation fooling the Eillistrae drow into believing she had converted However, I believe that this time, despite me hoping that it was all another sinister ploy, that she has indeed turned

No, she's definitely turned. What was the prophecy Pharaun had? All the party would betray the mission save for one? Or something like that? How many have remained true so far in this series?

Halisstra's change should make for an interesting group reunion.
Go to Top of Page

lowtech
Learned Scribe

USA
315 Posts

Posted - 22 Mar 2004 :  17:22:13  Show Profile  Visit lowtech's Homepage Send lowtech a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I think the Draegloth will end up being the only one who dosn't betray somebody.
Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 23 Mar 2004 :  03:55:36  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by lowtech

I think the Draegloth will end up being the only one who dosn't betray somebody.

Yeah, I've heard that theory advanced as well and have to admit, it might prove true. I thought for sure when a certain scene was unfolding in the last novel that the Draegloth might make a move to betray the party. But, alas, it didn't happen.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000