Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms Novels
 Monk Novel for RAS set in Damara for 2005?
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Dargoth
Great Reader

Australia
4607 Posts

Posted - 20 Mar 2004 :  04:16:15  Show Profile  Visit Dargoth's Homepage Send Dargoth a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
I just began nreading the Cleric Quintet again only this time Im reading the "Collectors Edition" and RAS wrote a forward at the start telling how the series got started and it seems RAS orgional concept for was for the protagonist to be a Monk and story to be set in Damara. This however all fell through when TSR abolshed the Monk class with 2ed and decided that to much had been written about Damara (The H series and Bloodstone pass had just come out)so hence the the protagonist became a Cleric and the story was set in the Snowflak mountains.

Interestly enough he ends the forward with "Maybe Ill write that monk series I once planned."

So the latest Drizzt trilogy finishes in October and to the best of my knowledge RAS isnt signed up for anything else announced for WOTC. The Monk is now back in D&D, there ironically has not been anything on the Coldlands SINCE Bloodstone pass came out 10+ years ago, the area needs a fleshing out again and from marketing perspective doing a RAS novel set in Damara and a Coldland Source book would be great marketing (ie there doing the same thing with Ed and Elaine Waterdeep book next year)

Added to this the Monk Class isnt getting a series of books like the Fighter, Cleric, Rogue and Wizard are so a monk story will be fresh

Am I the only one who smells gold with this idea?

“I am the King of Rome, and above grammar”

Emperor Sigismund

"Its good to be the King!"

Mel Brooks

Edited by - Dargoth on 20 Mar 2004 05:08:43

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31727 Posts

Posted - 20 Mar 2004 :  04:58:22  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
No, and I had also been wondering when he'd finally get around to this 'Monk" idea. I also read through the forward of the "Collectors Edition" Cleric Quintet. While I enjoyed the series, I was at the time disappointed that such a class-based novel never came to pass. But as RAS stated, with the coming of 2e AD&D, and the phasing out of the earlier Monk class, it would have beeen that much more difficult to relate the novel to the gaming environment of the time.

I certainly hope this becomes a reality one day...

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Bookwyrm
Great Reader

USA
4740 Posts

Posted - 20 Mar 2004 :  08:09:14  Show Profile  Visit Bookwyrm's Homepage Send Bookwyrm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It would be an interesting topic. The monk is a hard class to mesh with the standard Realms, I think. (Not nearly as hard as the samurai, of course.)

Hell hath no fury like all of Candlekeep rising in defense of one of its own.

Download the brickfilm masterpiece by Leftfield Studios! See this page for more.
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31727 Posts

Posted - 20 Mar 2004 :  09:24:36  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Huh....I remember at one time several years ago, that some authors and fans thought the 'sorcerer' class would be difficult to bring into Realms fiction as well...

Go to Top of Page

Zacas
Learned Scribe

USA
261 Posts

Posted - 20 Mar 2004 :  19:11:54  Show Profile  Visit Zacas's Homepage Send Zacas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well i dunno if he'll get to it after The Hunters' Blades Trilogy, it's been said that he was going to start a trilogy based on Jarlaxle and Entreri afterwards, hence why there've been some short stories involving the duo.

I am like a superhero, with no powers or motivation.
I have gone to find myself. If I get back before I return, please keep me here.
People like you are the reason people like me are on medication.
Go to Top of Page

fiveways mike
Acolyte

5 Posts

Posted - 21 Mar 2004 :  00:16:17  Show Profile  Visit fiveways mike's Homepage Send fiveways mike a Private Message  Reply with Quote
to the best of my knowledge hes doin a jarlaxle entreri book or a jarlaxle zaknafein book next.
Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 21 Mar 2004 :  02:51:00  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by fiveways mike

to the best of my knowledge hes doin a jarlaxle entreri book or a jarlaxle zaknafein book next.

Where did you find out this was confirmed as Mr. Salvatore's next project for the FR? Last I heard in the mortality radio, he said that writing that would be something he'd be interested in, but nothing firm had been set.
Go to Top of Page

Lord Rad
Great Reader

United Kingdom
2080 Posts

Posted - 21 Mar 2004 :  09:47:51  Show Profile  Visit Lord Rad's Homepage Send Lord Rad a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by fiveways mike

I heard this news also in the latter half of last year. I hope its stil going ahead as I loved the novels from the Paths of Darkness series concentraing on other characters rather than the Companions of the Hall.

Lord Rad

"What? No, I wasn't reading your module. I was just looking at the pictures"
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31727 Posts

Posted - 21 Mar 2004 :  12:18:27  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I know I definitely wouldn't argue if RAS decided to shift his perspective onto Entreri, or Jarlaxle...In fact, up until what I've just learned in this scroll, this is only something I would dream about one day coming true...

I think a more interesting question would be, if you had to choose who to focus on, which character would it be...Artemis, or Jarlaxle?.

From my point of view at the moment, I would say Jarlaxle, mainly because we already know much about Artemis, through his interactions with the Companions of the Hall. And, in a strange way, knowing about Drizzt, is knowing about Artemis...only it's a much more twisted kind of knowledge...

Go to Top of Page

Narad Bladesinger
Learned Scribe

Finland
170 Posts

Posted - 21 Mar 2004 :  12:47:40  Show Profile  Visit Narad Bladesinger's Homepage Send Narad Bladesinger a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

I think a more interesting question would be, if you had to choose who to focus on, which character would it be...Artemis, or Jarlaxle?.

Jaralaxle definetly. He is a mystery left unsolved plus he has so many tricks up his sleeves. For example, how did he get a hold of that hat?
And he is a twisted personality and has a sense of humor.
(We could make a list, but that would be too long )
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31727 Posts

Posted - 21 Mar 2004 :  12:51:57  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Actually, I would be slightly more satisfied if I knew what type of bird feather Jarlaxle has sticking out of that hat...

Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 21 Mar 2004 :  16:16:00  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Rad
I heard this news also in the latter half of last year. I hope its stil going ahead as I loved the novels from the Paths of Darkness series concentraing on other characters rather than the Companions of the Hall.

What was the source? All I've ever seen is a great deal of enthusiastic speculation, but no official word.
Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 21 Mar 2004 :  16:17:51  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Narad Bladesinger
how did he get a hold of that hat?

Armani? Don't they have a portal to the Realms?
Go to Top of Page

Lord Rad
Great Reader

United Kingdom
2080 Posts

Posted - 21 Mar 2004 :  16:46:32  Show Profile  Visit Lord Rad's Homepage Send Lord Rad a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by SiriusBlack

What was the source? All I've ever seen is a great deal of enthusiastic speculation, but no official word.

I honestly dont remember Sirius, it was some time ago, id take a guess it was from the WotC boards last year. Maybe the man himself can give us some info?

Lord Rad

"What? No, I wasn't reading your module. I was just looking at the pictures"
Go to Top of Page

Zacas
Learned Scribe

USA
261 Posts

Posted - 21 Mar 2004 :  18:18:42  Show Profile  Visit Zacas's Homepage Send Zacas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

Actually, I would be slightly more satisfied if I knew what type of bird feather Jarlaxle has sticking out of that hat...

Hmm... i coulda sworn that in one of the novels or short stories it said the feather was from a Aarakocra and could summon one of the large birds to help him... but i couldn't find it when i skimmed through Servant of the Shard quickly... but i coulda sworn i saw it in one of the novels

Go to Top of Page

Shadowlord
Master of Realmslore

USA
1298 Posts

Posted - 21 Mar 2004 :  18:37:13  Show Profile  Visit Shadowlord's Homepage Send Shadowlord a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It was in a novel. Try Exile, 2nd in the Dark Elf Trilogy.

The Chosen of Vhaeraun
"Nature is governed by certain immutable rules. By virtue of claw and fang, the lion will always triumph over the goat.Given time, the pounding of the sea will wear away the stone. And when dark elves mingle with the lighter races, the offspring invariably take after the dark parent. It is all much the same. That which is greater shall prevail. Our numbers increase steadily, both through birth and conquest. The dark elves are the dominant race, so ordained by the gods." Ka'Narlist of the Ilythiiri.
Go to Top of Page

Zacas
Learned Scribe

USA
261 Posts

Posted - 22 Mar 2004 :  04:57:57  Show Profile  Visit Zacas's Homepage Send Zacas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
hmm... it's been a while... just don't recall Jarlaxle in that 'early'...

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31727 Posts

Posted - 22 Mar 2004 :  05:27:50  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Shadowlord

It was in a novel. Try Exile, 2nd in the Dark Elf Trilogy.

Ah yes, the plumed feathers of a diatryma. It's a kind of gigantic Underdark bird, which I believe, is detailed in one of the many 'Underdark' 2e sourcebooks.

Go to Top of Page

Shadowlord
Master of Realmslore

USA
1298 Posts

Posted - 22 Mar 2004 :  15:27:57  Show Profile  Visit Shadowlord's Homepage Send Shadowlord a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Zacas

hmm... it's been a while... just don't recall Jarlaxle in that 'early'...

It was that early. Matron Malice recruited him in her war against House Hun'ett.

The Chosen of Vhaeraun
"Nature is governed by certain immutable rules. By virtue of claw and fang, the lion will always triumph over the goat.Given time, the pounding of the sea will wear away the stone. And when dark elves mingle with the lighter races, the offspring invariably take after the dark parent. It is all much the same. That which is greater shall prevail. Our numbers increase steadily, both through birth and conquest. The dark elves are the dominant race, so ordained by the gods." Ka'Narlist of the Ilythiiri.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000