Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms Software
 Icewind Dale 1 " Heart of Winter" in Norway.
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Bookwyrm
Great Reader

USA
4740 Posts

Posted - 16 Mar 2004 :  08:01:06  Show Profile  Visit Bookwyrm's Homepage Send Bookwyrm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Highlight for mild spoiler (if you're the type who likes to hunt for things).

It's in one of the tombs behind where the lich is. As I recall, it was opposite the one with the phylactory and north some. I could be wrong on the exact tomb, though -- it's been a while.

It's a handy thing to stick on a strong fighter, who is then sent into melee while the rest of the party hangs back to pepper the enemy with arrows and spells. Especially since it stacks with the Wolf Talisman.

Hell hath no fury like all of Candlekeep rising in defense of one of its own.

Download the brickfilm masterpiece by Leftfield Studios! See this page for more.
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31722 Posts

Posted - 16 Mar 2004 :  09:45:13  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ah, thanks Bookwyrm. I remember that particular part of the game now, and you are right...once the Mail is stacked with the Wolf Talisman, it gives the PC nearly every advantage once the combat portion in that section of the tomb begins (or rather continues...)

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Ezindir the dark
Senior Scribe

Norway
603 Posts

Posted - 16 Mar 2004 :  14:34:09  Show Profile  Visit Ezindir the dark's Homepage Send Ezindir the dark a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I thinkI got it in Dorn's Deep, if you read the history you can see that it fits.

Learn about the Ways of Vhaeraun .
- Check out my bio, majore update
- The Wanderers Quest

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31722 Posts

Posted - 16 Mar 2004 :  14:41:59  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm not so sure Ezindir...What the Bookwyrm had said previously, about it being located in the tome, just sounded too familiar to me. I might run through that portion of the game tonight anyway, just to be sure.

Go to Top of Page

Ezindir the dark
Senior Scribe

Norway
603 Posts

Posted - 16 Mar 2004 :  17:11:17  Show Profile  Visit Ezindir the dark's Homepage Send Ezindir the dark a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Which tomb to you mean? Not the first area before you come to Kuldahar well?

I think it is in the tomb in Dorn's Deep. It is to powerful to be found in Shadowdale, or whatever it was named. Just look at a itemlist.

- The Wanderers Quest

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31722 Posts

Posted - 17 Mar 2004 :  00:47:07  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
...I think you mean 'Vale of Shadows'...and no, I wasn't talking about The Wolf's Tomb...

Go to Top of Page

Bookwyrm
Great Reader

USA
4740 Posts

Posted - 17 Mar 2004 :  08:17:40  Show Profile  Visit Bookwyrm's Homepage Send Bookwyrm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yes, it's in Dorn's Deep. I can't remember if it's "Upper" or "Lower," since I got the order confused even while playing the game. I mostly didn't pay attention to the names. Regardless, it was [highlight for rest]:

Behind the secret door to the puzzle room, which led to the spirit of the dwarven cleric who asks you to take care of the lich so that he can finish dying like a normal dwarf.

Download the brickfilm masterpiece by Leftfield Studios! See this page for more.
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31722 Posts

Posted - 17 Mar 2004 :  12:21:57  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
As far as I remember, the divide between 'Upper' and 'Lower' Dorn's Deep was not very well defined. However, I think the armor was found in the Lower portions...

Go to Top of Page

Ezindir the dark
Senior Scribe

Norway
603 Posts

Posted - 17 Mar 2004 :  14:12:04  Show Profile  Visit Ezindir the dark's Homepage Send Ezindir the dark a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm lacking of memory, but tell, where is the Wolf's Tomb. I can't remember it, is it in Dorn's Deep? Anyways, the lower Dorn's Deep is after Wyrms Tooth and the upper is before.

[Possible Spoilers from Heart of Winter, Highlight to se rest:]

I have now gotten to the Burial Isle, in shearch for the Barnarion Shaman. So far everything have been good. I have been doing some small tasks in Lonleywood, and I have reached lv 5-5 with my dwarf and my thief is lv 8. No lv ups with the other chracters. The only thing I did not like was the barbarien fight after the "chat" with Jerrod/Xbeartribeking. I didn't make it the first time and I had to try again. I have bought a hat of the Necromancer in Burial Isle wich I loved. More to come soon....

- The Wanderers Quest

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31722 Posts

Posted - 17 Mar 2004 :  14:24:41  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The Wolf's Tomb is in the Vale of Shadows...

Since I'm going to mention potential spoilers, please highlight the following -

The Wolf's Tomb was the portion of the game which had an undead creature (a Wolf-type named Kresinak, or something like that if IIRC) located in the depths of the tomb. He was threatened by the Aurilite priestess (who he wishes you to kill for information on the source of Kuldahar's troubles) who resides in the center cavern of the Vale of Shadows...

Go to Top of Page

Ezindir the dark
Senior Scribe

Norway
603 Posts

Posted - 17 Mar 2004 :  21:48:18  Show Profile  Visit Ezindir the dark's Homepage Send Ezindir the dark a Private Message  Reply with Quote
But Sage, the Wolf's Tomb is a part of the Vale of Shadows, so when I say that it is not located in the Vale of Shadows, that does kind of include the Wolf's Tomb.

Anyways, as I said, I don't think that the Mail of Armor is located in hte Wolf's Tomb, but I might of course be wrong. You are the Sage, I am only saying my opinion. But where do you mean the armor is located?

[Highlight, spoiler for HoW]
I killed the demon on Burial Isle, and I only got 12000 xp for it.I thinnk that it is to little. I mean I got 22000 for the odl Necromancer. But anyways, I do also think that it was much effort and story for very little with the demon. I did not even get the armor. Any opinions?

- The Wanderers Quest

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31722 Posts

Posted - 18 Mar 2004 :  03:39:17  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hasn't the Bookwyrm already cleared up the location of the 'Mail of Life'? As we had said, it was located in the Lower portions of 'Dorn's Deep'.

The Wolf-creature's tomb is located in the Vale of Shadows...to the east of the map IIRC. Yes, we agree on that...

Go to Top of Page

Bookwyrm
Great Reader

USA
4740 Posts

Posted - 18 Mar 2004 :  14:41:29  Show Profile  Visit Bookwyrm's Homepage Send Bookwyrm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
He's not a wolf. He just has a black wolf as his symbol.

Ezindir, if you want to know what you did wrong (not that you'd probably care fixing it):

I got killed in that fight too, but there are two tricks. One, the barbarians target one of your members and don't switch until the target is dead, so you should adjust tactics in the same way. Two, if the person in the lead has enough Charisma, the fight can be avoided.

Killing the "old necromancer" isn't such a good idea. I got a bunch of handy things out of him, and he offers a nice price for magic weapons and armor. Several items I only found useful later on can be bought from him. It's not plot-critical, and since you're evil you probably like killing old men.

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31722 Posts

Posted - 18 Mar 2004 :  14:47:11  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Bookwyrm

He's not a wolf. He just has a black wolf as his symbol.

And that's why I've always said it's been a while since I've played through this game. What was he anyway...?

Go to Top of Page

Bookwyrm
Great Reader

USA
4740 Posts

Posted - 18 Mar 2004 :  14:59:54  Show Profile  Visit Bookwyrm's Homepage Send Bookwyrm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
A minor king who wanted immortality. So a cleric of Myrkul gave it to him: undeath, as a mere ghost, neither here nor there. Doomed to haunt the halls of his tomb, while his followers shambled about as the undead minions you fight through to get to him. Not a nice guy, but a cruel fate even so.

Go to Top of Page

Ezindir the dark
Senior Scribe

Norway
603 Posts

Posted - 18 Mar 2004 :  15:28:31  Show Profile  Visit Ezindir the dark's Homepage Send Ezindir the dark a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ahhh, I see. We acctually agreed all the time. I am such a screwhead.Bangs his head against the nearest desk a few times.

And Bookwyrm. I amde the fight the second time. But thatnks anyway.

- The Wanderers Quest

Go to Top of Page

EcThelion
Learned Scribe

Norway
323 Posts

Posted - 21 Mar 2004 :  22:25:38  Show Profile  Visit EcThelion's Homepage Send EcThelion a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ezindir the dark
But anyway, I find Ranger just as useful as a fighter. They get a lot of HP and they do very much damage.

My Fighter/Mage (suprise, suprise) actualyl managed to take care of the demon singlehandedly. Ofcourse I had to cast a bucked-load of defensive spells upon myself before the fight, and waste alof ot charged summoning-items, but I still made it! (Just as long as I stayed in the center... damn dispel magic traps)

quote:
Very good. Just remember: missile weapons! It's pretty much the name of the game. Use missile weapons unless you absolutely have to switch to melee. And target enemy archers first as well.

Yeah... I found it to be interesting how the phantom (or whatever) goblins managed to kill-off my imported-badass-just-kicked-Bhelifet's-ass-Fighter/Mage...

Ec'Thelion, formerly known as Forgotten One, now known as Ec'Thelion the Overpowered.
Currently not all that active. I'm preoccupied with Warcraft III for the moment. Bite me :P
Go to Top of Page

Shadowlord
Master of Realmslore

USA
1298 Posts

Posted - 21 Mar 2004 :  22:35:47  Show Profile  Visit Shadowlord's Homepage Send Shadowlord a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ah, so Ec'thelion finally returns!

Glad to see you once more grace these Halls with your presence...

The Chosen of Vhaeraun
"Nature is governed by certain immutable rules. By virtue of claw and fang, the lion will always triumph over the goat.Given time, the pounding of the sea will wear away the stone. And when dark elves mingle with the lighter races, the offspring invariably take after the dark parent. It is all much the same. That which is greater shall prevail. Our numbers increase steadily, both through birth and conquest. The dark elves are the dominant race, so ordained by the gods." Ka'Narlist of the Ilythiiri.
Go to Top of Page

EcThelion
Learned Scribe

Norway
323 Posts

Posted - 21 Mar 2004 :  22:37:38  Show Profile  Visit EcThelion's Homepage Send EcThelion a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I don't think you'll all that glad when you see what a mess I've made of the inn.

Ec'Thelion, formerly known as Forgotten One, now known as Ec'Thelion the Overpowered.
Currently not all that active. I'm preoccupied with Warcraft III for the moment. Bite me :P
Go to Top of Page

Ezindir the dark
Senior Scribe

Norway
603 Posts

Posted - 23 Mar 2004 :  15:10:05  Show Profile  Visit Ezindir the dark's Homepage Send Ezindir the dark a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I am done with the Game now, I did not find [highlight]the returning throwing axe which Bookwyrm mencioned. I also think the game was very short, when I killed the dragon I wasen't even in chapter two, even thought the game was supposed to have six chapter according to my journal. Anyways, I loved teh game, but I found it a little easy and short, I know it was is an expansion, but I still think this,[highlight]and I never found that dude who set the traps after I cured the Ranger from being a werewolf, or rather trapped the sickness.

- The Wanderers Quest

Go to Top of Page

Bookwyrm
Great Reader

USA
4740 Posts

Posted - 24 Mar 2004 :  17:32:29  Show Profile  Visit Bookwyrm's Homepage Send Bookwyrm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Um, I think you're getting the main game and the expansion mixed up. The item I mentioned was in the main game.

Go to Top of Page

Ezindir the dark
Senior Scribe

Norway
603 Posts

Posted - 25 Mar 2004 :  07:52:12  Show Profile  Visit Ezindir the dark's Homepage Send Ezindir the dark a Private Message  Reply with Quote
ok then, but can anyone here remember how amany chapters the game contained? When I played it now it only was one chapterm, somthing I found weird since they could have dividet into 2-3 chapter.

Anyway, now when I am trought with HoW, and my heart still longs for Icewind Dale, have I began playing Icewind Dale 2, and this time am I going to make it to the end.

- The Wanderers Quest

Go to Top of Page

EcThelion
Learned Scribe

Norway
323 Posts

Posted - 25 Mar 2004 :  14:29:08  Show Profile  Visit EcThelion's Homepage Send EcThelion a Private Message  Reply with Quote
You do that!

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31722 Posts

Posted - 26 Mar 2004 :  15:22:55  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ezindir the dark

ok then, but can anyone here remember how amany chapters the game contained? When I played it now it only was one chapterm, somthing I found weird since they could have dividet into 2-3 chapter.

Anyway, now when I am trought with HoW, and my heart still longs for Icewind Dale, have I began playing Icewind Dale 2, and this time am I going to make it to the end.

Icewind Dale has six chapters, which are each broken down into narrated cinematic sequences which detail the game's events.

Now IIRC, Heart of Winter had three chapters...however I could be mistaken on that one...

Go to Top of Page

Ezindir the dark
Senior Scribe

Norway
603 Posts

Posted - 27 Mar 2004 :  18:27:40  Show Profile  Visit Ezindir the dark's Homepage Send Ezindir the dark a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Can anyonme please tell me how many chapters there is supposed to be in HoW? And were they are supposed to be?

Anyway, trials of the luremaster, or somthing, is that a game to?
It stands somthing about it in Icewind Dale 2's manual.

- The Wanderers Quest

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000