Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Gildenglade, Turmish. Information request.
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Akantor
Acolyte

France
24 Posts

Posted - 16 Aug 2014 :  00:06:06  Show Profile  Visit Akantor's Homepage Send Akantor a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Hi,

My character is building a business in Gildenglade, second biggest city of Turmish. So I'm looking for canon information about it.

I've found information in FRCS and volo's. But it s only a few lines each time. We know it's a elf/dwarf/halfelf/human city, and that Llirra has a big wealthy temple. But that's almost all.

Does anyone having canon informations? If not, non-canon would be appreciated too.

I'm playing 1374. (so not interested in discovering it has been smashed by a volcano during spellplague :) )

English is not my primary language so forgive me for any mistake, I do my best (and spend skill point at my next level)

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6662 Posts

Posted - 16 Aug 2014 :  02:43:10  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Get the Vilhon Reach accessory by Jim Butler.

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus

Edited by - George Krashos on 16 Aug 2014 02:43:28
Go to Top of Page

eeorey
Seeker

Bulgaria
96 Posts

Posted - 16 Aug 2014 :  03:35:59  Show Profile Send eeorey a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The 2e Vilhon Reach book says that it's a city populated primarily by elves, dwarves and half-elves, the elves rule and negotiate with the Emerald Enclave, being themselves skiled in forestry, the dwarves mine the rich gold veins there and the half-elves work as lumberers but are appreciated and seen as equals. It says that it is a very wealthy place, with a lot of rumors for "lost wealth" there, ready to be found by adventurers.

In the 3.5 Campaign Setting, Gildenglade is a metropolis with 48.384 inhabitants.The economy is based on woodcutting, woodworking and mining. The Elves that negotiate with the Emerald Enclave there have the best relations with it than any other city in the reach.

That's pretty much it. I don't know of any other info on that city in 4e, though I could be wrong.
Go to Top of Page

Akantor
Acolyte

France
24 Posts

Posted - 16 Aug 2014 :  16:26:44  Show Profile  Visit Akantor's Homepage Send Akantor a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks Georges I mistake, it was Jim Butler's not marco volo's.
Thanks Eeorey. I found most of these info. In 4th, it is indeed destroyed by the volcano nearby.

Here are the datas I have:
FRCS :
- Metropolis, 48 384
- second-largest within Turmish, composed of dwarves, elves, and half-elves living together in harmony.
The Vilhon reach p15 :
- (Lliira) Lady Morintar, rules the temple at Gildenglade in Turmish (...) temple in Gildenglade is one of the wealthiest in the region.

BUT On the other hand, about Turmish we know (FRCS) that:
- Population is 1 693 440 with 78% Human, 9% Dwarf, 3% elf, 1% half elf
- Main cities are Alaghon 88704, Gildenglade 48684, Nonthal 12902
- Main gods are Chauntea, Eldath, Helm, Llirra, Loviatar, Nobanion, Silvanus, Selune, Tempus, Tyr.
- Since 1248, Turmish is a Republic.

Which make
the three main cities totalized less than 10% of the pop.
Dwarf 152 409 But we know most of them are in Ironfang Deep.
Elf 50 803 But we know there are many in Xorhun.
Half-elf 16934.

These are Canon intel.

About NUMBERS
So my feeling is that it has to be a significant number of human.

About RELIGION
We know for sure there is a temple (and a big) of Lliira but what about the others?

About POLITICS
We know, Turmish is a republic, and Elves are leaders of Gildenglade. Is there an elven politician cast or is Gildenglade some kind of free city with elven king?

Does anyone have heard of something elsewhere (novel, other gamebook, or fandom)?

English is not my primary language so forgive me for any mistake, I do my best (and spend skill point at my next level)

Edited by - Akantor on 16 Aug 2014 16:35:30
Go to Top of Page

eeorey
Seeker

Bulgaria
96 Posts

Posted - 16 Aug 2014 :  17:55:01  Show Profile Send eeorey a Private Message  Reply with Quote
http://www.wizards.com/dnd/article.asp?x=fr/fx20020508rt,0
This article states that Xorhun's population is 10.000 so its very much possible for a lot of elves to live in Gildenglade. And while there are humans everywhere and there are almost always non-humans living in human territories, humans usually don't live in places where they are the minority (I'm sure there are some but not a lot in Gildenglade).

Now the elves of Gildenglade would probably have a local council of elders or something similar to that, and be the local authority but they are in the end beholden to the republic of Turmish as one of it's cities. The turami people having respect for the land and the like would likely get along quite well with the elves and half-elves there.

Of course as most others in the reach the people of Gildenglade would be wary of Chondath and Hlondeth. The former being the strongest and most ambitious military power in the Vilhon reach, and the latter being ruled by the yuan-ti.

In on of the novels in "The Cities" series "The jewel of Turmish" I belive during an attack on Alaghon, and on one such that had taken place previously the troops that fought for Turmish were human, elven and dwarven, which means that Alaghon haves a diverse population as well. And that all these different people get along quite well, except for that one time that a human ruler attacked the dwarven stronghold a few centuries back.

That's all I have, it's not much but Turmish was one of those places that didn't get a lot of love, only two novels take place in it so far as I know the one mentioned above and the new "The Reaver" sundering novel.
Go to Top of Page

Akantor
Acolyte

France
24 Posts

Posted - 16 Aug 2014 :  21:10:07  Show Profile  Visit Akantor's Homepage Send Akantor a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Wonderful! Thank you for all of that. Yet I knew the link, your point of view is consistant. More than mine. Sadly, I thought there was a majority of human. So Ordulin human refugees wont fit that good for my business. I intended to give work to fellow npc who just escaped Ordulin's destruction, by launching a business in the area.

Still, I'm a little confused about Major Temple of Lliira (a human deity) in Gildenglade.

After re-reading the entry. It seams that Elves are found of Lliira in the neighborhood and the great Priestess is an elf.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000