Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Unknown sources for Netheril
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Asharak
Learned Scribe

France
270 Posts

Posted - 15 Aug 2014 :  14:14:45  Show Profile Send Asharak a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
I found this three entries in many timeline but sources are obscure.

-3381/
Two of the Nether Scrolls are stolen during an excursion in the High Forest. The mages carrying the scrolls are slaughtered by a grove of treants. The Scrolls are never recovered.

-2436/
An apprentice working for the phaerimm steals seven of the Nether Scrolls. The mageling is killed as he leaves the city, but the Scrolls are never recovered.

-1896/
24 scrolls of the remaining Nether Scrolls are stolen. The thieves, fearful of Netherese retribution, destroy the golden scrolls, pounding them into gold chunks.

Anyone know more about sources?

"Soyez réalistes : demandez l'impossible"

Sorry for my English... it's not my native tongue.

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6361 Posts

Posted - 15 Aug 2014 :  14:56:46  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well ive never encountered -3381 before in any of the sourcebooks.

-2436 comes from GHoTR (although i dont know where it came from before GHoTR detailed it).

Dont know about -1896 .

Of course when i get home i could do a search on all my pdfs but that will have to wait a while

Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions Candlekeep Archive
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 1
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 2
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 3
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 4
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 5
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 6
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 7
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 8
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 9

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

sfdragon
Great Reader

2285 Posts

Posted - 15 Aug 2014 :  14:56:51  Show Profile Send sfdragon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
cant help you there

could be any of them

but ones dealing with teh arcane age would bea good start

why is being a wizard like being a drow? both are likely to find a dagger in the back from a rival or one looking to further his own goals, fame and power

My FR fan fiction
Magister's GAmbit
http://steelfiredragon.deviantart.com/gallery/33539234
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6662 Posts

Posted - 15 Aug 2014 :  18:07:40  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
At an earlier GENCON, TSR gave a 'Netheril Timeline' handout to the attendees of the FR seminar at the time. As I understand this was when the Netheril boxed set was in development and was intended to whet the appetite of the fans for the upcoming product. The timeline contained a series of entries which weren't picked up in the final product (another common reference that crops up on the internet is Delzoun coming under attack from a host of balors). I'm pretty sure the entries you cite come from that timeline. I've never actually seen a copy of the timeline. I'm having dinner with Steven Schend tonight so will ask him if he can remember anything about it.

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6361 Posts

Posted - 15 Aug 2014 :  18:21:50  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Even more jealous

Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions Candlekeep Archive
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 1
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 2
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 3
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 4
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 5
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 6
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 7
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 8
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 9

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

Hoondatha
Great Reader

USA
2449 Posts

Posted - 15 Aug 2014 :  21:21:12  Show Profile  Visit Hoondatha's Homepage Send Hoondatha a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The third reference actually comes from the Netheril boxed set. Well, the reference does; I'm less certain about the date. On page 8 of the Netheril book, it says:

"In the year 1963, Netheril bore witness to an internal menace: citizens who had little aptitude or respect for menace.

"Nine men broke into the "Most Holy and Magical Chamber of Ioulaum the Demidivine," killing nine guards in the process and losing seven of their numbers, to steal 24 parts of the nether scrolls. When the thieves escaped to the surface world, a manhunt began. The thieves, fearful of the archwizard's retribution, pounded the priceless golden scrolls into indiscernible baubles. They then sold these gold nuggets, receiving about 260 gp in coins."

Someone else will have to convert the Netherese calendar to Dalereckoning, to see if the dates match up.

Doggedly converting 3e back to what D&D should be...
Sigh... And now 4e as well.
Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7989 Posts

Posted - 16 Aug 2014 :  07:16:19  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The OPs entries appear to be quoted directly from my contributions to an old Candlekeep scroll about Nether Scrolls. (Which contains much more than just these three snippets.)

If so, they are my paraphrases (summarized for a little brevity) from the 2E Arcane Ages: Netheril Empire of Magic boxset material.

[/Ayrik]
Go to Top of Page

Asharak
Learned Scribe

France
270 Posts

Posted - 16 Aug 2014 :  12:15:04  Show Profile Send Asharak a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hoondatha,
Thanks for the third reference.

Georges,
Yes, I have this with balor & Delzoun:
-359/Year of Boiling Moats
The dwarven nation of Delzoun is attacked by balor and tanar'ri. The dwarves begin fighting a ceaseless battle that lasts night and day for 120 years.
The warrior Anoitus helps defend the dwarves of Delzoun.

Ayrik,
All this dates & events come from the site " forgotten realms the library ".

"Soyez réalistes : demandez l'impossible"

Sorry for my English... it's not my native tongue.
Go to Top of Page

hashimashadoo
Master of Realmslore

United Kingdom
1150 Posts

Posted - 16 Aug 2014 :  13:33:33  Show Profile  Visit hashimashadoo's Homepage Send hashimashadoo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yeah, the Netheril timeline was written by Dale Henson and conflicted with a bunch of other things. George once said that he and Ed just ignored it.

When life turns it's back on you...sneak attack for extra damage.

Head admin of the FR wiki:

https://forgottenrealms.fandom.com/
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000