Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Eye of the deep
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Pluddon
Seeker

57 Posts

Posted - 13 Apr 2014 :  14:22:22  Show Profile Send Pluddon a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
I've been looking through some of the older editions and once again stumbled upon one of my favorite beholder kin, the eye of the deep. As I read I have been trying to think of a way for one to be a major or recurring villain in an above ground campaign. Any ideas to help make this work would be greatly appreciated.

Edited by - Pluddon on 13 Apr 2014 15:57:27

Eilserus
Master of Realmslore

USA
1446 Posts

Posted - 13 Apr 2014 :  16:13:54  Show Profile Send Eilserus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
A deep lake or pond that has connections to a deeper subterranean, large body of water from which he came. You can pretty much stick him anywhere on a map that way.
Go to Top of Page

Pluddon
Seeker

57 Posts

Posted - 13 Apr 2014 :  18:31:38  Show Profile Send Pluddon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I was thinking something more mobile. Like it could move about and act out if water
Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6353 Posts

Posted - 13 Apr 2014 :  18:33:21  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Sewers under waterdeep or any major settlement would give it access to the entire settlement.

Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions Candlekeep Archive
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 1
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 2
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 3
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 4
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 5
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 6
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 7
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 8
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 9

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

xaeyruudh
Master of Realmslore

USA
1853 Posts

Posted - 13 Apr 2014 :  18:55:01  Show Profile  Visit xaeyruudh's Homepage Send xaeyruudh a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Okay, I admit this is wild, but I would do it in my own game so I don't feel bad suggesting it.

At the end of the Underdark book, there's a description of the Shape of Water. Basically it's a ball of water, with no outer membrane holding it in, with an aboleth in it. The water being held together by some combination of psionics and magic, depending on your campaign.

We know that beholders have a high occurrence of genetic mutations... it's the basis for their hatred for each other; every beholder thinks it and its own spawn are the pinnacle of beholderdom. Therefore it's easy to declare that an individual eye of the deep has a mutation which gives him the psionic or magical ability to make a globe of water defy gravity and surround his body even when he levitates out of the surrounding pool/lake/ocean.

Presto, an eye of the deep which can fly anywhere.
Go to Top of Page

Eilserus
Master of Realmslore

USA
1446 Posts

Posted - 13 Apr 2014 :  19:17:01  Show Profile Send Eilserus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Mobile, you could have him inhabit an enslaved water elemental. Or possess a beholder-variant spell that allows it to breathe air, maybe with the side effect that it expels water every time it breathes out or something. The Shape of Water idea is a good idea too.

You could go construct mode on it. Like a golem shell on the outside, perhaps with glasteel see through parts that is part water elemental on the inside, always leaking seawater.
Go to Top of Page

xaeyruudh
Master of Realmslore

USA
1853 Posts

Posted - 13 Apr 2014 :  20:05:55  Show Profile  Visit xaeyruudh's Homepage Send xaeyruudh a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I like the water elemental idea. An aballin might be interesting too, or even a large ghaunadan. The elemental/ooze becomes a weapon that can fight separately. The ghaunadan could even serve as a spy with its humanoid appearance.
Go to Top of Page

Shadowsoul
Senior Scribe

Ireland
705 Posts

Posted - 13 Apr 2014 :  20:13:31  Show Profile Send Shadowsoul a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I love the Eye of the Deep.

“Fantasy is escapist, and that is its glory. If a soldier is imprisioned by the enemy, don't we consider it his duty to escape?. . .If we value the freedom of mind and soul, if we're partisans of liberty, then it's our plain duty to escape, and to take as many people with us as we can!”
#8213; J.R.R. Tolkien

*I endorse everything Dark Wizard says*.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000