Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Chamber of Sages
 Questions for Paul S Kemp
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 28

PaulSKemp
Forgotten Realms Author

808 Posts

Posted - 02 Feb 2012 :  20:22:55  Show Profile  Visit PaulSKemp's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Markustay

"Great!" to the first (I know what I am doing this weekend), and "oh darn!" to the second.

May I ask why?

I think part of it is that the individual titles of the Twilight War are still selling very well, and part of it is that Omnibus editions were pushed by Borders (which apparently shelved a lot of them), and Borders is, alas, no more.
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 03 Feb 2012 :  01:02:48  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by PaulSKemp

I think part of it is that the individual titles of the Twilight War are still selling very well...[snip]

Where I'm at right now, that's true.

Every beginning has an end.
Go to Top of Page

Jakk
Great Reader

Canada
2165 Posts

Posted - 19 Feb 2012 :  06:47:38  Show Profile Send Jakk a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Jakk

Thank you, good sir... I'll resist the temptation to ask you when you can tell us how long we have to wait.

Normally, I don't like quoting myself, but in this instance it seemed appropriate. So... now that I've seen the preorder release date for Godborn, can you tell us what the approximate dates will be for the next two books? You're not going to make us wait a whole year between them, are you?

Edit: And yes, I realize it's WotC who's really making us wait, as much as your human ability to only write so many words in a day. I'd rather wait longer for better final products, after all... to a point.

Playing in the Realms since the Old Grey Box (1987)... and *still* having fun with material published before 2008, despite the NDA'd lore.

If it's comparable in power with non-magical abilities, it's not magic.

Edited by - Jakk on 19 Feb 2012 06:50:33
Go to Top of Page

Fellfire
Master of Realmslore

1965 Posts

Posted - 19 Feb 2012 :  08:05:06  Show Profile Send Fellfire a Private Message  Reply with Quote
What is the release date? (say it's March, say it's March)

Misanthorpe

Love is a lie. Only hate endures. Light is blinding. Only in darkness do we see clearly.

"Oh, you think darkness is your ally? You merely adopted the dark. I was born in it, molded by it. I didn't see the light until I was already a man, by then it was nothing to me but.. blinding. The shadows betray you because they belong to me." - Bane The Dark Knight Rises

Green Dragonscale Dice Bag by Crystalsidyll - check it out

Go to Top of Page

PaulSKemp
Forgotten Realms Author

808 Posts

Posted - 19 Feb 2012 :  18:42:07  Show Profile  Visit PaulSKemp's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:

So... now that I've seen the preorder release date for Godborn

Let me know where you saw the date, will you? I'm more than a little curious.
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 19 Feb 2012 :  20:13:12  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

can you tell us what the approximate dates will be for the next two books? You're not going to make us wait a whole year between them, are you?

I really wish they'd release it the way they did Richard's Brotherhood of the Griffon trilogy: 6 months interval. Or if they stick to one year, they should make it in hardcover.

Go to Top of Page

ZeshinX
Learned Scribe

Canada
210 Posts

Posted - 20 Feb 2012 :  05:06:01  Show Profile  Visit ZeshinX's Homepage Send ZeshinX a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

So... now that I've seen the preorder release date for Godborn

Not sure where Jakk saw a release date, but the one I'm seeing for it is here:

http://www.amazon.ca/Godborn-Cycle-Night-Book-I/dp/0786954973/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1329714160&sr=1-1

"...because despite the best advice of those who know what they are talking about, other people insist on doing the most massively stupid things."
-Galen, technomage
Go to Top of Page

Jakk
Great Reader

Canada
2165 Posts

Posted - 02 Mar 2012 :  02:11:05  Show Profile Send Jakk a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ZeshinX

quote:

Not sure where Jakk saw a release date, but the one I'm seeing for it is here:

http://www.amazon.ca/Godborn-Cycle-Night-Book-I/dp/0786954973/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1329714160&sr=1-1

That's the one I saw.

Playing in the Realms since the Old Grey Box (1987)... and *still* having fun with material published before 2008, despite the NDA'd lore.

Go to Top of Page

Jakk
Great Reader

Canada
2165 Posts

Posted - 02 Mar 2012 :  02:12:52  Show Profile Send Jakk a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Dennis

quote:

can you tell us what the approximate dates will be for the next two books? You're not going to make us wait a whole year between them, are you?

I really wish they'd release it the way they did Richard's Brotherhood of the Griffon trilogy: 6 months interval. Or if they stick to one year, they should make it in hardcover.

I agree... I'd buy this trilogy in hardcover, too... if I had the spare cash.

Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 08 Mar 2012 :  04:46:18  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Hi Paul,

Is Mask some sort of a demi-human? Discussion in a certain thread made me look for the passage (below) from Shadowrealm, p. 332. (Highlight is mine.)

quote:

The frailties endemic to his one-time humanity resurfaced. His body shook. He did not wish to end.

[.....]

He could not bring himself to name her his mother. She had possessed a vessel to birth a herald, nothing more.

Go to Top of Page

Firestorm
Senior Scribe

Canada
826 Posts

Posted - 11 Mar 2012 :  22:27:42  Show Profile Send Firestorm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have a couple of questions that are more for my nerdy curiosity than anything.

At the start of the book Midnight Mask, when the Sojourner is sizing Riven up, he comments "you remind me of Azrrim". Was the scene in question supposed to be "Serrin" since he was shown to be the most like Riven over the 2 books?

The other question is in regards to Shadowbred, when Cale and Riven are fighting on Sakkors. 3 Shadovar with Metallic eyes appear while Cale and Riven are engaged with common shade troops. Rivalen was one, Yder's shadow, as the frost greatsword and his battle prowess would indicate. The third I assumed at first was Brennus until I realized he was carrying the Darkstaff. Hadrhune's Darkstaff.

Or so i assume. Was it in fact Hadrhune?
Go to Top of Page

Firestorm
Senior Scribe

Canada
826 Posts

Posted - 11 Mar 2012 :  22:29:33  Show Profile Send Firestorm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Hi Paul,

Is Mask some sort of a demi-human? Discussion in a certain thread made me look for the passage (below) from Shadowrealm, p. 332. (Highlight is mine.)

quote:

The frailties endemic to his one-time humanity resurfaced. His body shook. He did not wish to end.

[.....]

He could not bring himself to name her his mother. She had possessed a vessel to birth a herald, nothing more.

Well, a good deal of Gods used to be human, but infused with Divine essence. I assumed Mask was like the 7 Sisters. Born of the union of an avatar and another, just infused with more divine power.
Go to Top of Page

PaulSKemp
Forgotten Realms Author

808 Posts

Posted - 12 Mar 2012 :  15:07:16  Show Profile  Visit PaulSKemp's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Dennis,

At that point, Mask was fully divine (though he was once human). What I meant by "frailties" in that passage is human psychological frailties -- i.e., he feared death.

Edited by - PaulSKemp on 12 Mar 2012 15:08:04
Go to Top of Page

PaulSKemp
Forgotten Realms Author

808 Posts

Posted - 12 Mar 2012 :  15:08:50  Show Profile  Visit PaulSKemp's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Firestorm

I have a couple of questions that are more for my nerdy curiosity than anything.

At the start of the book Midnight Mask, when the Sojourner is sizing Riven up, he comments "you remind me of Azrrim". Was the scene in question supposed to be "Serrin" since he was shown to be the most like Riven over the 2 books?

The other question is in regards to Shadowbred, when Cale and Riven are fighting on Sakkors. 3 Shadovar with Metallic eyes appear while Cale and Riven are engaged with common shade troops. Rivalen was one, Yder's shadow, as the frost greatsword and his battle prowess would indicate. The third I assumed at first was Brennus until I realized he was carrying the Darkstaff. Hadrhune's Darkstaff.

Or so i assume. Was it in fact Hadrhune?

FS,

I'd have to go back and look at the context. Off hand, I don't know the answers.
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 12 Mar 2012 :  22:51:54  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Dennis,

At that point, Mask was fully divine (though he was once human). What I meant by "frailties" in that passage is human psychological frailties -- i.e., he feared death.

Can you tell us who his father was? What was he like?

Also, is Shar really her 'biological' mother? [Shar's avatar coupling with a human.] Or was the mother reference only 'symbolic,' since she gave Mask a new life, that of a deity, giving him a tiny divine spark at a certain point of his mortal existence?

Edited by - Dennis on 12 Mar 2012 22:53:21
Go to Top of Page

Jakk
Great Reader

Canada
2165 Posts

Posted - 21 Mar 2012 :  17:58:51  Show Profile Send Jakk a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

Dennis,

Also, is Shar really her 'biological' mother? [Shar's avatar coupling with a human.] Or was the mother reference only 'symbolic,' since she gave Mask a new life, that of a deity, giving him a tiny divine spark at a certain point of his mortal existence?

I'm interested in these questions too... I suspect that Mask was originally conceived in a manner similar to that of the Seven Sisters (who were essentially daughters of Mystra); Shar possessed a willing (or maybe unwilling; she is evil, after all) mortal servant, and the resulting offspring is imbued with a tiny fragment of her essence.

That's my take on it; Paul will correct me if I'm wrong. As to the identity of Mask's father, wouldn't it be a kicker if it's Hadrhune? Beyond that, I have no ideas.

Go to Top of Page

Veritas
Learned Scribe

209 Posts

Posted - 07 May 2012 :  20:38:56  Show Profile  Visit Veritas's Homepage Send Veritas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
This is all a deception! Paul is just a mask that Mask wears when cavorting with mortals. For that matter Ao, Shar, Mystra, divinities et al. are all Mask! It was Mask all along! Don't be taken in by his intrigues!
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 08 May 2012 :  05:13:50  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Shar as a mommy...

Talk about your dysfunctional families.

Poor little Mask - he probably got dumped on Loviatar (or some other neighbor) when Shar wanted to go out clubbing. Now I'm picturing Mask as 'B-Rabbit' in the movie 8 Mile (Kim Basinger could still play a sexy Shar if we ever got a movie).

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 09 May 2012 :  02:07:31  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Markustay

Shar as a mommy...

Talk about your dysfunctional families.

Go to Top of Page

skychrome
Senior Scribe

713 Posts

Posted - 04 Jul 2012 :  04:07:37  Show Profile  Visit skychrome's Homepage Send skychrome a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Paul, I finished "The Hammer and the Blade" yesterday and it's been a while since a novel captured me like this one. In fact it has not happened since Erevis Cale.

I think Egil and Nix are the best team I have read in a novel ever. Great and interesting characters (and not only the main ones) and fantastic dialogues. Also you got this not too fast paced writing style which gives space for atmospheric setting descriptions like details of the city, tombs, rooms in general, characters, spells. Same pace and detail that I loved in the Erevis Cale trilogy and missed a little bit in the Twilight War trilogy. Great stuff!

If there is anything that I did not dig in, then it was from *spoiler* after the silph takes off with Rakon and the demon until to the end. I felt that there was quite a change in style, pace and overall flavor. Difficult to explain this in more depth, without writing half a page.*end spoiler*

In any case awesome novel! In fact I will have to take a break from other novels for a few days as the benchmark with Egil and Nix is just too tough for the others to keep up with.

Also congrats again for choosing a publisher who has done his homework and published the eBook worldwide, not just in the states.

Now, as I am already craving for more: what are your plans on when you will start writing the second novel and when may we expect it to be published? Please write more, this is absolutely fantastic and has so much potential for being a complete series of Egil and Nix stories!

"You make an intriguing offer, one that is very tempting. It would seem that I have little alternative than to answer thusly: DISINTEGRATE!" Vaarsuvius, Order of the Stick 625
Go to Top of Page

Brimstone
Great Reader

USA
3285 Posts

Posted - 13 Aug 2012 :  08:45:35  Show Profile Send Brimstone a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

Dennis,

It was probably Elminster!

"These things also I have observed: that knowledge of our world is
to be nurtured like a precious flower, for it is the most precious
thing we have. Wherefore guard the word written and heed
words unwritten and set them down ere they fade . . . Learn
then, well, the arts of reading, writing, and listening true, and they
will lead you to the greatest art of all: understanding."
Alaundo of Candlekeep
Go to Top of Page

The Red Walker
Great Reader

USA
3563 Posts

Posted - 18 Aug 2012 :  05:25:23  Show Profile Send The Red Walker a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Paul, thank you for coming to the Candlekeep seminar. It was a pleasure to meet you. It's always nice to put a face to a name. Just cool to get a chance to shake you hand and tell you how i enjoy your characters and stories. And don't forget you promise not to exploit Riven's "weakness" for dogs and use dogs to off him!

A little nonsense now and then, relished by the wisest men - Willy Wonka

"We need men who can dream of things that never were." -

John F. Kennedy, speech in Dublin, Ireland, June 28, 1963

Edited by - The Red Walker on 18 Aug 2012 05:26:09
Go to Top of Page

PaulSKemp
Forgotten Realms Author

808 Posts

Posted - 19 Aug 2012 :  20:47:00  Show Profile  Visit PaulSKemp's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Red Walker

Paul, thank you for coming to the Candlekeep seminar. It was a pleasure to meet you. It's always nice to put a face to a name. Just cool to get a chance to shake you hand and tell you how i enjoy your characters and stories. And don't forget you promise not to exploit Riven's "weakness" for dogs and use dogs to off him!

Likewise, RW. As for Riven, I'll see what I can do. :-)
Go to Top of Page

The Red Walker
Great Reader

USA
3563 Posts

Posted - 20 Aug 2012 :  01:05:43  Show Profile Send The Red Walker a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Paul, I just wanted to make sure I got it right as far as what I heard about The Godborn, I've shared it on here, but with my lack of sleep this weekend I want to be sure I represented your words correctly.

Would it be possibly for you to just quickly tell us ow you approached and asked if you wanted to participate in The Sundering and what you subsequently said and did with Godborn.

Thanks again!

Go to Top of Page

Tyrant
Senior Scribe

USA
586 Posts

Posted - 20 Aug 2012 :  03:14:52  Show Profile  Visit Tyrant's Homepage Send Tyrant a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks for coming to the Candlekeep get together Paul. And thanks for humoring me while I asked a few questions after the get together. Sorry my downtown Indy directions are a little lacking, I hope you found where you were trying to go Thursday night.

Peace is a lie, there is only passion. Through passion, I gain strength. Through strength, I gain power. Through power, I gain victory. Through victory, my chains are broken. The Force shall free me.
-The Sith Code

Teenage Sith zombies, Tulkh thought-how in the moons of Bogden had it all started? Every so often, the universe must just get bored and decide to really cut loose. -Star Wars: Red Harvest
Go to Top of Page

PaulSKemp
Forgotten Realms Author

808 Posts

Posted - 20 Aug 2012 :  20:26:11  Show Profile  Visit PaulSKemp's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:

Paul, I just wanted to make sure I got it right as far as what I heard about The Godborn, I've shared it on here, but with my lack of sleep this weekend I want to be sure I represented your words correctly.

Would it be possibly for you to just quickly tell us ow you approached and asked if you wanted to participate in The Sundering and what you subsequently said and did with Godborn.

Thanks again!

Red Walker,

I just posted a long blog about the Sundering/Godborn/et al, which I think squares with everything you've written so far. Here's the link:

http://paulskemp.com/blog/the-sundering/
Go to Top of Page

The Red Walker
Great Reader

USA
3563 Posts

Posted - 20 Aug 2012 :  20:48:51  Show Profile Send The Red Walker a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

Thanks again!

Red Walker,

I just posted a long blog about the Sundering/Godborn/et al, which I think squares with everything you've written so far. Here's the link:

http://paulskemp.com/blog/the-sundering/

Thanks Paul, I wanted to be sure and not mis-represent your words. If you ever need anything here in central Indiana, I'm your man.

Any chance of a short story to tide us over until next fall?? (if you dont ask, it never can happen right?)

Go to Top of Page

The Red Walker
Great Reader

USA
3563 Posts

Posted - 20 Aug 2012 :  23:56:58  Show Profile Send The Red Walker a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Paul, I just read your blog and the thing I notice about The Godborn when you talk about it is that's it's a bigger book than Godborn ould have been, I'm guessing you wouldn't even mention it if we were talking 10 or 15 pages. Any ideas how it were talking here? An additional 50or 100 pages?

Ok you win, I'm buying The Hammer and The Blade......I just read your top ten reasons why and two of them struck a chord with me and if you'll recall I was the bald guy in the second row, it's easy to see why I particularly appreciate one of your reasons to buy it.

9. Egil is bald and bald dudes are badass. This cannot be gainsaid.

3. Hipsters hate it. ‘Nuff said.

When your right , your right

Edited by - The Red Walker on 21 Aug 2012 00:44:05
Go to Top of Page

PaulSKemp
Forgotten Realms Author

808 Posts

Posted - 21 Aug 2012 :  16:20:17  Show Profile  Visit PaulSKemp's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:

Paul, I just read your blog and the thing I notice about The Godborn when you talk about it is that's it's a bigger book than Godborn ould have been, I'm guessing you wouldn't even mention it if we were talking 10 or 15 pages. Any ideas how it were talking here? An additional 50or 100 pages?

Ok you win, I'm buying The Hammer and The Blade......I just read your top ten reasons why and two of them struck a chord with me and if you'll recall I was the bald guy in the second row, it's easy to see why I particularly appreciate one of your reasons to buy it.

RW, if a typical novel of mine in FR is, say 90K words or so, I expect The Godborn to land somewhere around 130-40K words (page count is not helpful here, as layout can fit a wide range of word counts into a predetermined set of pages).

As for HAMMER: I think you will dig. Be sure and let me know.
Go to Top of Page

The Red Walker
Great Reader

USA
3563 Posts

Posted - 21 Aug 2012 :  17:33:01  Show Profile Send The Red Walker a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

RW, if a typical novel of mine in FR is, say 90K words or so, I expect The Godborn to land somewhere around 130-40K words (page count is not helpful here, as layout can fit a wide range of word counts into a predetermined set of pages).

As for HAMMER: I think you will dig. Be sure and let me know.

Thanks..I will start Hammer as soon as I wrap up Skeleton Men of Jupiter to finish off John Carter. I will let you know what I think.

And I cant help but ask...do you know if this "bigger" applies to on your entry, or is it series wide?

thanks!

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 28 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000