Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Chamber of Sages
 Questions for Paul S Kemp
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 28

The Red Walker
Great Reader

USA
3563 Posts

Posted - 27 Aug 2012 :  03:04:17  Show Profile Send The Red Walker a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Paul how do you province Egil? And just like myself, he is another example that bald guys as badass.....anyone who wants to gains at that can go Fak themselves.

Spoilers possible if you haven't read it....

I really like those guys and hope to read more about them. But I'd love to see them get to do their "own thing" without compulsion. I think Egil needs a dog though....a fluffy labradoodle
I enjoyed the story, but me being a bit impatient .....I was ready for them to get "there" and get on with the show. That's really my only complaint, the guys, the tunnel, the girls and the barkeep....enjoyed them all. And the turn of the tales on Rakon, l think he got what he deserved. The sisters, I'm on the fence with them.I'm sure you cold do a lot with them and their mind magic, but I really want to see Egil and Nix get to cut loose.

edit: I just realized I read through this in like two hours....so the wait to get on with the show couldn't have been that long, so you can take that comment with a grain of salt......if not a dram or two of 12 year Cardhu!

A little nonsense now and then, relished by the wisest men - Willy Wonka

"We need men who can dream of things that never were." -

John F. Kennedy, speech in Dublin, Ireland, June 28, 1963

Edited by - The Red Walker on 27 Aug 2012 16:32:43
Go to Top of Page

PaulSKemp
Forgotten Realms Author

808 Posts

Posted - 28 Aug 2012 :  02:10:53  Show Profile  Visit PaulSKemp's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Egil is pronounced EGG-el.
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 28 Aug 2012 :  02:18:58  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Is Egil and Nix a trilogy? I couldn't finish the first book, but I might give the sequel a try, depending on several things, like further character development, introduction of more captivating characters, specially the villains, and of course, the plot.

Every beginning has an end.
Go to Top of Page

PaulSKemp
Forgotten Realms Author

808 Posts

Posted - 28 Aug 2012 :  21:05:21  Show Profile  Visit PaulSKemp's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thanks, RW. Glad you enjoyed. :-)

Dennis, thanks for the chuckle.
Go to Top of Page

The Red Walker
Great Reader

USA
3563 Posts

Posted - 29 Aug 2012 :  01:55:51  Show Profile Send The Red Walker a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by PaulSKemp

Thanks, RW. Glad you enjoyed. :-)

Dennis, thanks for the chuckle.

Your welcome Paul. A Discourse In Steel, I have read early 2013 and also July 2013....what say you?

A little nonsense now and then, relished by the wisest men - Willy Wonka

"We need men who can dream of things that never were." -

John F. Kennedy, speech in Dublin, Ireland, June 28, 1963
Go to Top of Page

Arcanus
Senior Scribe

485 Posts

Posted - 31 Aug 2012 :  23:19:23  Show Profile  Visit Arcanus's Homepage Send Arcanus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Just started the hammer and the blade, love the handstand on the hammers lol.
Go to Top of Page

PaulSKemp
Forgotten Realms Author

808 Posts

Posted - 31 Aug 2012 :  23:55:56  Show Profile  Visit PaulSKemp's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Arcanus

Just started the hammer and the blade, love the handstand on the hammers lol.

Hope you enjoy, Arcanus. :-)
Go to Top of Page

strafer
Acolyte

15 Posts

Posted - 01 Sep 2012 :  10:56:05  Show Profile Send strafer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Just got a copy of Hammer and the Blade. Can't wait for the Godborn Trilogy. I catch myself rereading portions of the Shadowstorm Trilogy and I must say what a superb job creating such an ambitious plot while maintaining great pace and character development.

It seemed like almost every character could carry their own book. I used to like the Cale trilogy more but now that I look back it wasn't as intricate as the Shadowstorm arc. Although Vhostym is still king among villains .

Edited by - strafer on 01 Sep 2012 11:08:26
Go to Top of Page

PaulSKemp
Forgotten Realms Author

808 Posts

Posted - 01 Sep 2012 :  15:06:04  Show Profile  Visit PaulSKemp's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by strafer

Just got a copy of Hammer and the Blade. Can't wait for the Godborn Trilogy. I catch myself rereading portions of the Shadowstorm Trilogy and I must say what a superb job creating such an ambitious plot while maintaining great pace and character development.

It seemed like almost every character could carry their own book. I used to like the Cale trilogy more but now that I look back it wasn't as intricate as the Shadowstorm arc. Although Vhostym is still king among villains .

Thanks, Strafer. Much appreciated. Meanwhile, I hope you enjoy HAMMER, too. :-)
Go to Top of Page

Razz
Senior Scribe

USA
749 Posts

Posted - 07 Sep 2012 :  00:25:23  Show Profile Send Razz a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Rather than retype it, my question is here on this thread for you, Paul:

http://forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=16860
Go to Top of Page

PaulSKemp
Forgotten Realms Author

808 Posts

Posted - 07 Sep 2012 :  14:08:03  Show Profile  Visit PaulSKemp's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Razz

Rather than retype it, my question is here on this thread for you, Paul:

http://forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=16860

If memory serves, the Night Knives were mentioned in the series bible that the Sembia authors received.
Go to Top of Page

Razz
Senior Scribe

USA
749 Posts

Posted - 10 Sep 2012 :  05:00:57  Show Profile Send Razz a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I see. So is the answer that the Night Knives have been retconned to be based in Selgaunt instead of Saerloon? Or is there an active guild in Saerloon with the same name but different leaders? Or are they one and the same and the guild simply moved their activities from one city to the other?

Edited by - Razz on 10 Sep 2012 05:01:19
Go to Top of Page

Lilianviaten
Senior Scribe

489 Posts

Posted - 28 Sep 2012 :  16:28:11  Show Profile Send Lilianviaten a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Any chance that we will see Azriim in The Godborn?
Go to Top of Page

Firestorm
Senior Scribe

Canada
826 Posts

Posted - 07 Oct 2012 :  17:29:12  Show Profile Send Firestorm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Paul! Tomorrow I will be the proud father of twin girls. Any tips on raising twins in general? haha

Thank you for Ephemera. I did in fact spend a lot of time in the Computer room at work after I received that!
Go to Top of Page

RyanATX
Acolyte

USA
6 Posts

Posted - 15 Oct 2012 :  15:34:50  Show Profile Send RyanATX a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Lilianviaten

I would absolutely love this!
Go to Top of Page

PaulSKemp
Forgotten Realms Author

808 Posts

Posted - 18 Oct 2012 :  13:48:02  Show Profile  Visit PaulSKemp's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Firestorm

Paul! Tomorrow I will be the proud father of twin girls. Any tips on raising twins in general?

You will become unfamiliar with sleep for a while.
Go to Top of Page

PaulSKemp
Forgotten Realms Author

808 Posts

Posted - 18 Oct 2012 :  13:48:46  Show Profile  Visit PaulSKemp's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Lilianviaten

No Azriim, alas. Lots of other characters you know, though.
Go to Top of Page

Firestorm
Senior Scribe

Canada
826 Posts

Posted - 14 Nov 2012 :  03:01:37  Show Profile Send Firestorm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I finally got a chance to read that short story of Kesson Rel, Furlinastis and Avnon Des.

Awesome read :)
Go to Top of Page

9thChapter
Learned Scribe

Canada
110 Posts

Posted - 02 Jan 2013 :  08:18:55  Show Profile  Visit 9thChapter's Homepage Send 9thChapter a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by Lauzoril

Greetings, Paul.

I just read the Soulbound and I must say I liked how you described
the feelings of the servants of Mask who realized they had no hope to escape. The shadow dragon certainly had more personality here than in the Twilight Falling.
Was the Soulbound already written before you started the Cale trilogy or
did you quickly write it up for the Realms of Dragons?

Lauzoril,

I wrote "Soulbound" after the Cale books, but I had the rudiments of the story kicking around in my brain while I wrote the Cale books.

And I'm glad you enjoyed it.

Paul

Fantasy author of The Rithhek Cage series

http://darrentpatrick.com/the-rithhek-cage-trilogy/
Go to Top of Page

9thChapter
Learned Scribe

Canada
110 Posts

Posted - 02 Jan 2013 :  08:27:57  Show Profile  Visit 9thChapter's Homepage Send 9thChapter a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I am glad I read this when I did - right after Dawn of Night.

Paul, you did a wonderful job at expanding the backstory of Furlinastis' promise. In fact, I'd argue that it should be inserted into the official (if there is one) reading order for the Cale series; much like you did with the mention of the Dragon articles on your site.

Great puzzle piece...fits in perfectly. Dark :)

Darren

quote:
Originally posted by 9thChapter

quote:

quote:
Originally posted by Lauzoril

Greetings, Paul.

I just read the Soulbound and I must say I liked how you described
the feelings of the servants of Mask who realized they had no hope to escape. The shadow dragon certainly had more personality here than in the Twilight Falling.
Was the Soulbound already written before you started the Cale trilogy or
did you quickly write it up for the Realms of Dragons?

Lauzoril,

I wrote "Soulbound" after the Cale books, but I had the rudiments of the story kicking around in my brain while I wrote the Cale books.

And I'm glad you enjoyed it.

Paul

Fantasy author of The Rithhek Cage series

http://darrentpatrick.com/the-rithhek-cage-trilogy/
Go to Top of Page

Xar Zarath
Senior Scribe

Malaysia
552 Posts

Posted - 03 Jan 2013 :  04:40:32  Show Profile Send Xar Zarath a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hello Mr Kemp, err I mean Paul, uh okay Mr Kemp then...about the "dimensional hole" or "eye of nothingness" in Ordulin, are you going to use that in future novels or will it be a realms NDA?

Everything ends where it begins. Period.

Go to Top of Page

PaulSKemp
Forgotten Realms Author

808 Posts

Posted - 07 Jan 2013 :  14:12:22  Show Profile  Visit PaulSKemp's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Xar Zarath

Hello Mr Kemp, err I mean Paul, uh okay Mr Kemp then...about the "dimensional hole" or "eye of nothingness" in Ordulin, are you going to use that in future novels or will it be a realms NDA?

Xar, it has a role in The Godborn. I can't really say much more, though.

Paul
Go to Top of Page

skychrome
Senior Scribe

713 Posts

Posted - 08 Jan 2013 :  02:13:58  Show Profile  Visit skychrome's Homepage Send skychrome a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Xar, it has a role in The Godborn. I can't really say much more, though.

Paul

*drool*

"You make an intriguing offer, one that is very tempting. It would seem that I have little alternative than to answer thusly: DISINTEGRATE!" Vaarsuvius, Order of the Stick 625
Go to Top of Page

Entromancer
Senior Scribe

USA
388 Posts

Posted - 16 Jan 2013 :  22:15:14  Show Profile Send Entromancer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Paul, I noticed you dedicated your first Egil and Nix novel to a number of S&S authors, including Michael Moorcock. Which of his fantasy series or characters was your favorite and least favorite? Also, have you read any of his novels with the Jerry Cornelius character (The Final Programme, A Cure for Cancer, The English Assassin, The Condition of Muzak)?

"...the will is everything. The will to act."--Ra's Al Ghul

"Suffering builds character."--Talia Al Ghul
Go to Top of Page

PaulSKemp
Forgotten Realms Author

808 Posts

Posted - 18 Jan 2013 :  15:20:15  Show Profile  Visit PaulSKemp's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Entromancer

Paul, I noticed you dedicated your first Egil and Nix novel to a number of S&S authors, including Michael Moorcock. Which of his fantasy series or characters was your favorite and least favorite? Also, have you read any of his novels with the Jerry Cornelius character (The Final Programme, A Cure for Cancer, The English Assassin, The Condition of Muzak)?

I haven't read any of the Cornelius novels, just Elric and Corum. Of those Elric would be my favorite.

Paul
Go to Top of Page

Richard Lee Byers
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
1814 Posts

Posted - 18 Jan 2013 :  16:24:20  Show Profile  Visit Richard Lee Byers's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Elric, I suspect, is just about everyone's favorite Moorcock character where sword and sorcery is concerned.

As I imagine Entromancer knows, the Cornelius novels were part of SF's "New Wave," for which Moorcock was one of the standard bearers. Because I'm an old guy, I remember the New Wave when it was happening and all the lovers of traditional SF who were appalled by it. Looking back, I'd say that a lot of New Wave books were failed experiments that don't hold up well (I'm not referring to the Cornelius novels here), but the movement as a whole opened up the field and benefited it tremendously. I'm not sure we've had anything since that produced a comparable effect. To my mind, cyberpunk was nowhere near as big a deal.
Go to Top of Page

jornan
Learned Scribe

Canada
256 Posts

Posted - 08 Oct 2013 :  21:49:23  Show Profile Send jornan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Paul, a few qestions:

1.I would love to know how much of this book was already written and how much had to be reworked because of the Sundering, or if it was just tweaked to fit? Did you have a contingency plan in place to bring back Mask or Cale all along, like RAS did with Iruladoon?

2.Can you tell us ANYTHING about what your next Cale/Vasen story will be?

3. Will we find out more about Orsin's history? Is he a character that we, the readers, have met before or were his past lives off stage?

4. Someone else asked this somewhere else, but I never saw a response, Did you know Riven would become Mask all along or did you flip flop at all with Cale?
Go to Top of Page

PaulSKemp
Forgotten Realms Author

808 Posts

Posted - 09 Oct 2013 :  13:37:47  Show Profile  Visit PaulSKemp's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by jornan

Paul, a few qestions:

1.I would love to know how much of this book was already written and how much had to be reworked because of the Sundering, or if it was just tweaked to fit? Did you have a contingency plan in place to bring back Mask or Cale all along, like RAS did with Iruladoon?

2.Can you tell us ANYTHING about what your next Cale/Vasen story will be?

3. Will we find out more about Orsin's history? Is he a character that we, the readers, have met before or were his past lives off stage?

4. Someone else asked this somewhere else, but I never saw a response, Did you know Riven would become Mask all along or did you flip flop at all with Cale?

I'd say 60-70% was more or less written. I did plan to bring Mask back all along (hence his final thoughts in SHADOWREALM). It all just seemed to fit the vibe of The Sundering so well that I made a pitch to include this story as part of it, then just made a few tweaks and wrote the rest.

I can't say anything about the next Cale/Vasen books. I've outlined the next one and the outline is approved. Certainly I'll share more when I can.

I want to keep Orsin a bit mysterious at this point. Good questions, though!

I was uncertain about whether it would be Cale or Riven until I got to the scene. Then I knew it had to be Riven.
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 09 Oct 2013 :  16:35:05  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

I was uncertain about whether it would be Cale or Riven until I got to the scene. Then I knew it had to be Riven.

This seems amazing to me - its as if you aren't so much creating the story, as you are describing events you are witnessing unfold. It would appear you are just as much 'along for the ride' as the rest of us.

Cool.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Edited by - Markustay on 09 Oct 2013 16:35:25
Go to Top of Page

Alisttair
Great Reader

Canada
3054 Posts

Posted - 09 Oct 2013 :  22:47:51  Show Profile  Visit Alisttair's Homepage Send Alisttair a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by jornan

Paul, a few qestions:

I'd say 60-70% was more or less written. I did plan to bring Mask back all along (hence his final thoughts in SHADOWREALM). It all just seemed to fit the vibe of The Sundering so well that I made a pitch to include this story as part of it, then just made a few tweaks and wrote the rest.

I just finished the book today. Very good. I was wondering something similar to the above. Since the book was originally supposed to be the first in a trilogy, were the events mostly written for the Godborn as originally written or was much of it planned to be spread throughout the trilogy?

Karsite Arcanar (Most Holy Servant of Karsus)

Anauria - Survivor State of Netheril as penned by me:
http://www.dmsguild.com/m/product/172023
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 28 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000