Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Chamber of Sages
 Questions for Paul S Kemp
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 28

skychrome
Senior Scribe

713 Posts

Posted - 16 Aug 2011 :  03:59:51  Show Profile  Visit skychrome's Homepage Send skychrome a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hello Paul, I just read "Conan: Phoenix On The Sword" and it somehow reminded me of Shadow's Wittness in a positive way. Did you have the possibility to read it by chance? Did Robert E Howard's rather dark writing style have an influence on you and the flavor that you wanted to give to your realms stories? Just curious... there are some elements in your writings that I really love and that I also see in Robert Howard.

"You make an intriguing offer, one that is very tempting. It would seem that I have little alternative than to answer thusly: DISINTEGRATE!" Vaarsuvius, Order of the Stick 625
Go to Top of Page

PaulSKemp
Forgotten Realms Author

808 Posts

Posted - 16 Aug 2011 :  13:37:14  Show Profile  Visit PaulSKemp's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by skychrome

Hello Paul, I just read "Conan: Phoenix On The Sword" and it somehow reminded me of Shadow's Wittness in a positive way. Did you have the possibility to read it by chance? Did Robert E Howard's rather dark writing style have an influence on you and the flavor that you wanted to give to your realms stories? Just curious... there are some elements in your writings that I really love and that I also see in Robert Howard.

SC,

Very much so, and thank you.

I like to think my most direct influences are Moorcock's Elric Work, Leiber's Fafhrd and the Gray Mouser stories, Howard's Conan work, and RAS's Drizz't novels.
Go to Top of Page

Fellfire
Master of Realmslore

1965 Posts

Posted - 22 Aug 2011 :  01:48:32  Show Profile Send Fellfire a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Tell me, please, the 13 truths of Shar. Did you invent them or is there a source? I want to formalize my worship.

Misanthorpe

Love is a lie. Only hate endures. Light is blinding. Only in darkness do we see clearly.

"Oh, you think darkness is your ally? You merely adopted the dark. I was born in it, molded by it. I didn't see the light until I was already a man, by then it was nothing to me but.. blinding. The shadows betray you because they belong to me." - Bane The Dark Knight Rises

Green Dragonscale Dice Bag by Crystalsidyll - check it out

Go to Top of Page

PaulSKemp
Forgotten Realms Author

808 Posts

Posted - 29 Aug 2011 :  16:45:28  Show Profile  Visit PaulSKemp's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Fellfire

Tell me, please, the 13 truths of Shar. Did you invent them or is there a source? I want to formalize my worship.

Fellfire,

I invented them, but never set forth all 13. Just the first couple.
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 29 Aug 2011 :  16:54:56  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote

I once posted "Love is a lie. Only hate endures." on my FB wall. What a commotion it caused!

Every beginning has an end.
Go to Top of Page

Artemas Entreri
Great Reader

USA
3131 Posts

Posted - 26 Oct 2011 :  15:27:08  Show Profile Send Artemas Entreri a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Fellfire

Please tell me you mean your in-game worship

Some people have a way with words, and other people...oh, uh, not have way. -Steve Martin

Amazon "KindleUnlimited" Free Trial: http://amzn.to/2AJ4yD2

Try Audible and Get 2 Free Audio Books! https://amzn.to/2IgBede
Go to Top of Page

Mandarb Carai an Caldazar
Acolyte

17 Posts

Posted - 31 Oct 2011 :  22:15:14  Show Profile Send Mandarb Carai an Caldazar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well met,

First I'd like to thank you for giving us one of my favourite characters of all time, let alone favourite Realms characters - Erevis Cale.

While I wait anxiously for a year (!) for Godborn I'd like to thank you for the little tidbits you've been posting on your blog, it gives me many possibilities to ponder while I wait and I love intellectual quandries . The idea that the god of thieves (possibly) stole his death from Shar during her supposed moment of triumph had me grinning like a fool. Also, teasing that Erevis might still be rescuable dispelled some of my disappointment from the end of the last trilogy. What ever ends up in the final product, I'm sure I'll thoroughly enjoy the read.

In addition to Vasen Cale's arc as a main piece of the plot, I'm left wondering if you'll be getting the rest of the band back together for the trilogy? Will we be seeing as much of the Netherese as we did previously? Will revelations of the death of the Princes' mother have consequences for The Most High's power-base in his sons? I realize that you wont be able to say much about any of those questions(and I could go on), all I'm hoping for are yes, no, or maybe for they'll get the mental gears grinding and keep me entertained while I wait.

-Blade

For Manetheren!
Go to Top of Page

PaulSKemp
Forgotten Realms Author

808 Posts

Posted - 02 Nov 2011 :  14:49:15  Show Profile  Visit PaulSKemp's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Mandarb,

First, I'm delighted that you've enjoyed the Cale stories.

Second, Brennus, Rivalen, and Riven will all appear in Godborn. As for Mags and the others, well, I'm not allowed to speak about it yet. Likewise, I can't say anything about how the various threads introduced in other books will play out. Sorry about that. :-)

Paul

Go to Top of Page

Mandarb Carai an Caldazar
Acolyte

17 Posts

Posted - 03 Nov 2011 :  00:14:12  Show Profile Send Mandarb Carai an Caldazar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by PaulSKemp

Mandarb,

First, I'm delighted that you've enjoyed the Cale stories.

Second, Brennus, Rivalen, and Riven will all appear in Godborn. As for Mags and the others, well, I'm not allowed to speak about it yet. Likewise, I can't say anything about how the various threads introduced in other books will play out. Sorry about that. :-)

Paul

Thanks very much!

For Manetheren!
Go to Top of Page

Pazuzu
Seeker

Germany
61 Posts

Posted - 02 Jan 2012 :  13:55:55  Show Profile Send Pazuzu a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Do you think we can complete the 13 truths? I just recall "Love is a lie. Only hate endures" and something like "Light blinds. Only in darkness we can see." I could really use these lines in my campaign and it would be nice, if Mr. Kemp himself gives me some input or maybe even ideas you had, but that did not make it into the books. Thanks!

May your dice obey your will. - Gary Gygax (*1938 - †2008)
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 02 Jan 2012 :  14:50:10  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Pazuzu

Do you think we can complete the 13 truths? I just recall "Love is a lie. Only hate endures" and something like "Light blinds. Only in darkness we can see." I could really use these lines in my campaign and it would be nice, if Mr. Kemp himself gives me some input or maybe even ideas you had, but that did not make it into the books. Thanks!

I would have to second this, Paul. I am also interested in what else you can come up with to complete the 13 Truths.

Every beginning has an end.
Go to Top of Page

Brimstone
Great Reader

USA
3285 Posts

Posted - 03 Jan 2012 :  13:44:57  Show Profile Send Brimstone a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I just finished reading Riptide. Great book.

Do you have any plans to write more about Jaden and his clones?

"These things also I have observed: that knowledge of our world is
to be nurtured like a precious flower, for it is the most precious
thing we have. Wherefore guard the word written and heed
words unwritten and set them down ere they fade . . . Learn
then, well, the arts of reading, writing, and listening true, and they
will lead you to the greatest art of all: understanding."
Alaundo of Candlekeep
Go to Top of Page

PaulSKemp
Forgotten Realms Author

808 Posts

Posted - 03 Jan 2012 :  14:40:26  Show Profile  Visit PaulSKemp's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Brimstone

I just finished reading Riptide. Great book.

Do you have any plans to write more about Jaden and his clones?

Brimstone,

Delighted that you enjoyed. I'm contracted to write at least two more SW novels for Del Rey, but I'm not yet allowed to discuss subject matter. I will say that I'd LIKE to revisit with Jaden and crew at some point.

Paul
Go to Top of Page

Entromancer
Senior Scribe

USA
388 Posts

Posted - 06 Jan 2012 :  20:21:45  Show Profile Send Entromancer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Paul, I really enjoyed your Erevis Cale and Twiight War trilogies. Shadowstorm's ending left me feeling as if Sembia was hopeless. In Tamlin's scenes in Shadowrealm, I kept thinking to myself, "No...no, please don't do that..."

I look forward to seeing where his story goes from here. In another thread I noticed that you believe Shadow's Witness to be the weakest of the Cale novels. The horror feel that the second half of the book took on, especially the scene where the ghouls were seated in the pews of the Righteous Man's chapel to mask, were quite chilling. Will there be any passages in Godborn with a similar feel?

"...the will is everything. The will to act."--Ra's Al Ghul

"Suffering builds character."--Talia Al Ghul
Go to Top of Page

edappel
Learned Scribe

Brazil
211 Posts

Posted - 13 Jan 2012 :  12:21:38  Show Profile Send edappel a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hello Paul.

Does your books changes anything with the new D&D itineration? Or they are part of the new look they are trying to bring to Forgotten Realms? And could you tell us how long did you know of this changes?

Thanks!

--- Ed Appel

*** I'm a brazilian FR fan. So, feel free to correct my writing mistakes to improve my english.
Go to Top of Page

PaulSKemp
Forgotten Realms Author

808 Posts

Posted - 15 Jan 2012 :  12:25:48  Show Profile  Visit PaulSKemp's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Entromancer

Paul, I really enjoyed your Erevis Cale and Twiight War trilogies. Shadowstorm's ending left me feeling as if Sembia was hopeless. In Tamlin's scenes in Shadowrealm, I kept thinking to myself, "No...no, please don't do that..."

I look forward to seeing where his story goes from here. In another thread I noticed that you believe Shadow's Witness to be the weakest of the Cale novels. The horror feel that the second half of the book took on, especially the scene where the ghouls were seated in the pews of the Righteous Man's chapel to mask, were quite chilling. Will there be any passages in Godborn with a similar feel?

Entromancer,

Elements of horror tend to creep into all my novels, whether FR, Star Wars, or my original work. You can expect that to continue with Godborn (at least to some degree).
Go to Top of Page

Jakk
Great Reader

Canada
2165 Posts

Posted - 18 Jan 2012 :  03:15:50  Show Profile Send Jakk a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Back after a long absence... the 5e announcement had a lot to do with that. Paul, will that announcement have any effect on the new trilogy, or is it something that simply fits well together? If, as I assume, we see the return of Mask or the ascension of a successor, or something along those lines, I suppose it just fits in with a new edition. I did have an interesting thought regarding all of this, that I should probably put in spoiler tags due to its reference to the end of Shadowrealm:
If Mask had prepared in advance for his death, which seems likely given that he surrendered himself to Shar apparently willingly, might this whole thing be another one of Mask's deceptions? I mean, if he can fool a greater deity (Shar), who's to say he can't deceive reality itself? Perhaps, with the ascension of a new trickster god with the divine spark of the old, everything done by those deceived by Mask is undone, or simply never was done in the first place.

Playing in the Realms since the Old Grey Box (1987)... and *still* having fun with material published before 2008, despite the NDA'd lore.

If it's comparable in power with non-magical abilities, it's not magic.
Go to Top of Page

PaulSKemp
Forgotten Realms Author

808 Posts

Posted - 18 Jan 2012 :  19:41:55  Show Profile  Visit PaulSKemp's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Jakk

Back after a long absence... the 5e announcement had a lot to do with that. Paul, will that announcement have any effect on the new trilogy, or is it something that simply fits well together? If, as I assume, we see the return of Mask or the ascension of a successor, or something along those lines, I suppose it just fits in with a new edition. I did have an interesting thought regarding all of this, that I should probably put in spoiler tags due to its reference to the end of Shadowrealm:
If Mask had prepared in advance for his death, which seems likely given that he surrendered himself to Shar apparently willingly, might this whole thing be another one of Mask's deceptions? I mean, if he can fool a greater deity (Shar), who's to say he can't deceive reality itself? Perhaps, with the ascension of a new trickster god with the divine spark of the old, everything done by those deceived by Mask is undone, or simply never was done in the first place.

I am intrigued by what you've said and would like to subscribe to your newsletter. :-)

Seriously, I can't discuss anything yet. Wish I could. Fit to burst and all that, but I've got to wait.
Go to Top of Page

Jakk
Great Reader

Canada
2165 Posts

Posted - 18 Jan 2012 :  20:36:06  Show Profile Send Jakk a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

I am intrigued by what you've said and would like to subscribe to your newsletter. :-)

Seriously, I can't discuss anything yet. Wish I could. Fit to burst and all that, but I've got to wait.

Newsletter? Wish I had one... does this mean I'm on to something? Never mind... even if I were, you wouldn't be able to tell me.

So... you can't even tell us how long you (and we) have to wait?

Playing in the Realms since the Old Grey Box (1987)... and *still* having fun with material published before 2008, despite the NDA'd lore.

Go to Top of Page

PaulSKemp
Forgotten Realms Author

808 Posts

Posted - 19 Jan 2012 :  14:05:02  Show Profile  Visit PaulSKemp's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Jakk

quote:

Newsletter? Wish I had one... does this mean I'm on to something? Never mind... even if I were, you wouldn't be able to tell me.

So... you can't even tell us how long you (and we) have to wait?

Alas, no. I will when I can, though.
Go to Top of Page

Jakk
Great Reader

Canada
2165 Posts

Posted - 20 Jan 2012 :  06:07:18  Show Profile Send Jakk a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thank you, good sir... I'll resist the temptation to ask you when you can tell us how long we have to wait.

Go to Top of Page

Tyrant
Senior Scribe

USA
586 Posts

Posted - 31 Jan 2012 :  01:53:46  Show Profile  Visit Tyrant's Homepage Send Tyrant a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hello Paul. I just finished Crosscurrent and Riptide. I really enjoyed both (and Deceived when I read it a while ago). Riptide left some interesting story possibilities and it's nice to see characters who do grow as characters as the 3 core characters in these two books seem to. With the way Riptide ended, I would love to see where things go from there.

I do have 3 questions about them if you don't mind. 1) Who decided to tie the "past" portions of Crosscurrent into the eventual fate of the Omen, which itself is important to the Fate of the Jedi series? As a general follow up/expansion to that, who decides how interconnected the SW books are?

2) Was the destroyed "structure" that made up the asteroid field from the finale of Riptide meant to be a certain super structure from the distant past that SW fans would know of or was it just a random super structure from the past?

3) Was the use of the shadowy villain a choice that you made? Your Realms novels center around shadowy characters so it seemed like more than a coincidence.

Hopefully one of your next SW projects will be a follow up to Riptide and in the mean time I can't wait for Godborn.

Peace is a lie, there is only passion. Through passion, I gain strength. Through strength, I gain power. Through power, I gain victory. Through victory, my chains are broken. The Force shall free me.
-The Sith Code

Teenage Sith zombies, Tulkh thought-how in the moons of Bogden had it all started? Every so often, the universe must just get bored and decide to really cut loose. -Star Wars: Red Harvest
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 01 Feb 2012 :  16:11:35  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I no longer own any of my books (not by any choice of my own), and I need to know the name of that 'mathematical sage' from Sembia, that Erevis (and others) went to see.

Anyone?

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Go to Top of Page

Cronje
Seeker

56 Posts

Posted - 01 Feb 2012 :  18:09:32  Show Profile Send Cronje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I believe it was Sephris Dwendon from the first of the Erevis Cale novels.
Go to Top of Page

PaulSKemp
Forgotten Realms Author

808 Posts

Posted - 02 Feb 2012 :  15:23:47  Show Profile  Visit PaulSKemp's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Tyrant

Hello Paul. I just finished Crosscurrent and Riptide. I really enjoyed both (and Deceived when I read it a while ago). Riptide left some interesting story possibilities and it's nice to see characters who do grow as characters as the 3 core characters in these two books seem to. With the way Riptide ended, I would love to see where things go from there.

I do have 3 questions about them if you don't mind. 1) Who decided to tie the "past" portions of Crosscurrent into the eventual fate of the Omen, which itself is important to the Fate of the Jedi series? As a general follow up/expansion to that, who decides how interconnected the SW books are?

2) Was the destroyed "structure" that made up the asteroid field from the finale of Riptide meant to be a certain super structure from the distant past that SW fans would know of or was it just a random super structure from the past?

3) Was the use of the shadowy villain a choice that you made? Your Realms novels center around shadowy characters so it seemed like more than a coincidence.

Hopefully one of your next SW projects will be a follow up to Riptide and in the mean time I can't wait for Godborn.

1. After reading my proposed outline for CC, and knowing the direction FotJ was going, my editor suggested we make a connection between Harbinger and Omen.

2. It was not a structure that I'd identified specifically.

3. Yes. I really like Umbarans. :-)

Paul
Go to Top of Page

Tyrant
Senior Scribe

USA
586 Posts

Posted - 02 Feb 2012 :  15:57:35  Show Profile  Visit Tyrant's Homepage Send Tyrant a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by Tyrant

1. After reading my proposed outline for CC, and knowing the direction FotJ was going, my editor suggested we make a connection between Harbinger and Omen.

2. It was not a structure that I'd identified specifically.

3. Yes. I really like Umbarans. :-)

Paul

Thanks Paul. For number 2, I was thinking it was something from Knights of the Old Republic 1 given who made it. But, I didn't think the star it was orbiting in the game was a pulsar and the planet it was nearest was not dead so I had my doubts and figured I would ask.

One other two part question if you don't mind. Crosscurrent and Riptide take place before the Fate of the Jedi series right? If so, roughly how long before?

Peace is a lie, there is only passion. Through passion, I gain strength. Through strength, I gain power. Through power, I gain victory. Through victory, my chains are broken. The Force shall free me.
-The Sith Code

Teenage Sith zombies, Tulkh thought-how in the moons of Bogden had it all started? Every so often, the universe must just get bored and decide to really cut loose. -Star Wars: Red Harvest
Go to Top of Page

PaulSKemp
Forgotten Realms Author

808 Posts

Posted - 02 Feb 2012 :  16:13:13  Show Profile  Visit PaulSKemp's Homepage  Reply with Quote
If memory serves, CC was dated at 41.5 years ABY (tail end of the Legacy Era, I think). Not sure where that puts it in relation to FotJ (because I don't know the dates of those novels), but that should give you a starting point.
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 02 Feb 2012 :  17:00:42  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks Cronje.

And now visiting this thread makes me want to read SW novels (but I'm a ST fan).

Edit: Can anyone just give me a quick run-down of what happened with the character? {I don't want to put spoilers in here, so you can PM me). I remember a certain 'bad' thing, but then I think that thing got 'undone'... I really can't remember the details (I should just buy the whole series again.. I will, some day).

Which reminds me: @Paul - any chance we will be seeing any of your trilogies in one of those anthology collections (like they did with Ed's books, or the Drizzt ones)?

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Edited by - Markustay on 02 Feb 2012 17:09:53
Go to Top of Page

PaulSKemp
Forgotten Realms Author

808 Posts

Posted - 02 Feb 2012 :  18:50:27  Show Profile  Visit PaulSKemp's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Markustay

Which reminds me: @Paul - any chance we will be seeing any of your trilogies in one of those anthology collections (like they did with Ed's books, or the Drizzt ones)?

Markus,

The Erevis Cale Trilogy is available in an Omnibus edition (came out June last year, IIRC). The Twilight War is unlikely to get Omnibus treatment.
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 02 Feb 2012 :  19:09:26  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
"Great!" to the first (I know what I am doing this weekend), and "oh darn!" to the second.

May I ask why?

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 28 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000