Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Chamber of Sages
 Questions for Elaine Cunningham
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 81

Finglas Leaflock
Acolyte

USA
35 Posts

Posted - 23 Apr 2008 :  16:48:39  Show Profile Send Finglas Leaflock a Private Message
Wow, that was fast! Thanks!

Go to Top of Page

BARDOBARBAROS
Senior Scribe

Greece
581 Posts

Posted - 23 Apr 2008 :  19:12:37  Show Profile  Visit BARDOBARBAROS's Homepage Send BARDOBARBAROS a Private Message
The cancellation of Reclamation is a terrible event.. Let's see what follows from WoTc..
Keep writing Elaine .. I'm with you!!

BARDOBARBAROS DOES NOT KILL.
HE DECAPITATES!!!

"The city changes, but the fools within it remain always the same" (Edwin Odesseiron- Baldur's gate 2)
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 23 Apr 2008 :  20:48:37  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Finglas Leaflock

First a redundant reply to Rinonalyrna--I didn't know anything about Everquest, and thoroughly enjoyed The Blood Red Harp. So add me to the "thumbs up, recommend it" list.

Thanks for the recommendation.

"Instead of asking why we sleep, it might make sense to ask why we wake. Perchance we live to dream. From that perspective, the sea of troubles we navigate in the workaday world might be the price we pay for admission to another night in the world of dreams."
--Richard Greene (letter to Time)
Go to Top of Page

Charles Phipps
Master of Realmslore

1425 Posts

Posted - 23 Apr 2008 :  21:21:36  Show Profile  Visit Charles Phipps's Homepage Send Charles Phipps a Private Message
Again, sorry for the REALLY awful title for my "Show how much the S&S books mean to you" thread.

;-)

My Blog: http://unitedfederationofcharles.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

ElaineCunningham
Forgotten Realms Author

2396 Posts

Posted - 23 Apr 2008 :  21:58:04  Show Profile  Visit ElaineCunningham's Homepage
quote:
Originally posted by Charles Phipps

Again, sorry for the REALLY awful title for my "Show how much the S&S books mean to you" thread.

;-)

No worries. You must have taken it down very quickly--I didn't see it.
Go to Top of Page

Zanan
Senior Scribe

Germany
942 Posts

Posted - 24 Apr 2008 :  09:32:54  Show Profile  Visit Zanan's Homepage Send Zanan a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by ElaineCunningham

quote:
Originally posted by Zanan

SPeaking of Shakti above, has she actually been statted somewhere?

To my knowledge, she has not been assigned stats.

Looks like something should be done about this then.

Don't know how this is handled: once you handed in the character (i.e. Shakti) and it was used in material beyond the novel (Drizzt do'Urden's Guide to the Underdark, methinks), do you have any copyrights on her or has this all gone into WotC property? As in: if we would create a character statblock and a bit of chara history and add a current status (somewhat like we did with Liriel), would the Wizards object or send the lawyers after us?

Cave quid dicis, quando et cui!

Gæð a wyrd swa hio scel!

In memory of Alura Durshavin.

Visit my "Homepage" to find A Guide to the Drow NPCs of Faerûn, Drow and non-Drow PrC and much more.

Edited by - Zanan on 24 Apr 2008 09:34:02
Go to Top of Page

ElaineCunningham
Forgotten Realms Author

2396 Posts

Posted - 24 Apr 2008 :  12:10:38  Show Profile  Visit ElaineCunningham's Homepage
quote:
Originally posted by Zanan

Don't know how this is handled: once you handed in the character (i.e. Shakti) and it was used in material beyond the novel (Drizzt do'Urden's Guide to the Underdark, methinks), do you have any copyrights on her or has this all gone into WotC property? As in: if we would create a character statblock and a bit of chara history and add a current status (somewhat like we did with Liriel), would the Wizards object or send the lawyers after us?

To answer your last question first, I don't know how WotC would react to this.

All characters created for Forgotten Realms novels and games are the sole property of WotC. Even if a newly-created character is NOT used in any other WotC publication, and appears only in the original work, the creators have no claim to copyright. This is standard for work-for-hire projects.

Go to Top of Page

Zanan
Senior Scribe

Germany
942 Posts

Posted - 24 Apr 2008 :  13:42:14  Show Profile  Visit Zanan's Homepage Send Zanan a Private Message
Thanks for that bit of info. So I'/we'll have to take the long-route then and a) asking the Wizards and/or b ) using a character that "could-be-viewed as" Shakti. In case of the former, I wonder whether any "Wizard" has any time right now to spend on such an issue, but anyway. First ideas* will arrive at your doorstep shortly ... well, literally that is, of course.

Though we could very easily make it another project like the Liriel one, if anyone is interested. Coming to think of it, Arilyn and Elaith have made appearances already in the lorebooks (AD&D and possibly 3E too). If people don't want to participate with near-sighted Shakti, there are many more heroes and heroines out there in Mrs. Cunningham's novels.

Uh ... sorry for filling your thread with my bout of enthusiasm.

Gæð a wyrd swa hio scel!

Visit my "Homepage" to find A Guide to the Drow NPCs of Faerûn, Drow and non-Drow PrC and much more.

Edited by - Zanan on 24 Apr 2008 13:44:50
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 24 Apr 2008 :  15:36:37  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message
Zanan and Elaine, Shakti did have some stats in Drizzt's Guide to the Underdark. It said she was a 9th level cleric.

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium
Go to Top of Page

Charles Phipps
Master of Realmslore

1425 Posts

Posted - 24 Apr 2008 :  19:15:42  Show Profile  Visit Charles Phipps's Homepage Send Charles Phipps a Private Message
Well you asked me to take it down but with a new title, here it is. Something SLIGHTLY less creepy sounding than "tribute to Elaine Cunningham." Hehe.

http://forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=10925

I moved it here.

My Blog: http://unitedfederationofcharles.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Zanan
Senior Scribe

Germany
942 Posts

Posted - 24 Apr 2008 :  19:41:40  Show Profile  Visit Zanan's Homepage Send Zanan a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Kuje

Zanan and Elaine, Shakti did have some stats in Drizzt's Guide to the Underdark. It said she was a 9th level cleric.

Hey, it was me who collected my very own "Guide to the Drow NPCs of the Forgotten Realms" and listed her as ...

Shakti Hunrzin (fd, P9 of Lolth/Vhaeraun)*

... . That was in the good old times, when we had powerful priestesses listed as matrons of the various Houses of Menzo. Then, 3E came up and the level-chopping and downgrading began.

Gæð a wyrd swa hio scel!

Go to Top of Page

Agnitio Veridicus
Acolyte

13 Posts

Posted - 25 Apr 2008 :  22:23:01  Show Profile  Visit Agnitio Veridicus's Homepage Send Agnitio Veridicus a Private Message
I have an idea for those of you who are sad at missing out on the now cancelled "Reclamation" book.

Try Elaine's "Changeling Detective Agency" novels! :)
Go to Top of Page

monknwildcat
Learned Scribe

USA
285 Posts

Posted - 27 Apr 2008 :  23:09:18  Show Profile  Visit monknwildcat's Homepage Send monknwildcat a Private Message
Well met!

Thanks for writing such great novels, Elaine. I love to laugh, and I’ve laughed out loud so many times reading your work. Thank you!

Thanks also for making yourself accessible to your reading public, soliciting opinions here and affording opportunities (like the Lilith compilation and Elaith’s-baby’s-mama naming contest).

Re: Missing Moonflowers. After reading Evermeet, I figured that, if they survived, they were all safer believed dead.

Re: Moonblade Mania. Imitation’s the highest form of flattery, right? Everyone with whom I gamed at that time wanted moonblades until, in a fit of pique, we ruled that, after the Kingblade was chosen, the other blades released their heroic bearers to Arvandor and became “regular” magic swords, albeit priceless to their respective houses. Oh, it’s so *not* canon and some of us still B&M about it, but it was that or a party full of bladebearers.

Re: Reclamation. Buggering Beshaba! (lovely phrase) If it’s any consolation, I appreciated loose-threads and unfinished subplots in novels like Thornhold; they increased the sophistication of the book and left us fodder for campaigns. And artistic integrity’s to be lauded.

Question. Catching the limitations on what’s available for discussion, I’m unsure if it’ll be answerable; I hope so, but I understand professional boundaries and littering the canon and what not.

Elfshadow Spoiler Alert

Filauria Ni’Tessine, a character from Elfshadow, the interesting lass with the divisive fate. Was she, you know, *with* Kymil? It’s been a while, but that’s something I remember wondering about the novel.

Also, what was the circlesinging thing she did? If it’s talked about somewhere else here in the Forums, sages and scribes, fill me in. It was really quite nifty in the novel.

And a publishing related question!

Now the Swords&Songs may be complete, any chance they'll make a nifty box set of your books? I have this thing for collector's editions/boxed sets, and I figured they waited for the last book before considering it.

Thanks, and keep scribing!
Go to Top of Page

ElaineCunningham
Forgotten Realms Author

2396 Posts

Posted - 01 May 2008 :  01:38:18  Show Profile  Visit ElaineCunningham's Homepage
quote:
Originally posted by monknwildcat

Thanks also for making yourself accessible to your reading public, soliciting opinions here and affording opportunities (like the Lilith compilation and Elaith’s-baby’s-mama naming contest).

Thanks, mwc. I hope to have some news on the Lilith anthology soon--it has stalled at the publishers. When you're working with a micro-press, the reality is that everyone involved has day jobs and a highly flexible schedule. :) But I'm pleased with the collection, and looking forward to its (eventual) release.

quote:
Re: Missing Moonflowers. After reading Evermeet, I figured that, if they survived, they were all safer believed dead.

Yeah, that was that plan. Sneaky elves.

quote:
Filauria Ni’Tessine, a character from Elfshadow, the interesting lass with the divisive fate. Was she, you know, *with* Kymil? It’s been a while, but that’s something I remember wondering about the novel.

That she was. Not "onstage," mind you, but the implication was certainly there.

quote:
Also, what was the circlesinging thing she did? If it’s talked about somewhere else here in the Forums, sages and scribes, fill me in. It was really quite nifty in the novel.

If memory serves, circlesinging was a type of elven high magic, in which the individual spells of several wizards could be combined into a single spell of great power. This is very similar to the (2nd edition) magic available to the Witches of Rashemen. I haven't been following recent lore developments, so I can't tell you whether or not this sort of magic still reflects canon elf lore. I strongly suspect it does not.

quote:
And a publishing related question!

Now the Swords&Songs may be complete, any chance they'll make a nifty box set of your books? I have this thing for collector's editions/boxed sets, and I figured they waited for the last book before considering it.

I haven't heard of plans along these lines, but I rather doubt it. It seems unlikely that WotC will continue to support products that predate 4e.

Thanks for the kind words and good wishes. I'm still writing--there's a book outline due Monday that has been taking much of my attention over the past two or three weeks. More info on that coming soon.
Go to Top of Page

monknwildcat
Learned Scribe

USA
285 Posts

Posted - 01 May 2008 :  03:52:35  Show Profile  Visit monknwildcat's Homepage Send monknwildcat a Private Message
Thanks for responding!

When Filauria picked up those shards I thought "That's devotion."

Keep us posted!
Go to Top of Page

Sebastrd
Acolyte

28 Posts

Posted - 15 May 2008 :  19:49:21  Show Profile  Visit Sebastrd's Homepage Send Sebastrd a Private Message
quote:

Upcoming 4th edition changes to the Realms will render many of the themes and concerns of this book irrelevant, just as the destruction of Halruaa pretty much guaranteed the irrelevance of the Counselors & Kings trilogy.

Elaine, I am a huge fan of the 4E changes and really look forward to seeing some new life breathed into the Realms. I think that the 4E changes will make such storylines even more relevant. It's that rich and storied history that gives the Realms its charm, and that history is chock full of wonderful stories that have no bearing on the present. That doesn't make them any less exciting or relevant. We're about to greet a bright new age of Realms history; and without the irrelevant stories of the past, we wouldn't have the perspective to appreciate it.

I sincerely hope you find what was broken, if not to salvage the story, to at least learn from the experience. That's what history is for in the first place.
Go to Top of Page

ElaineCunningham
Forgotten Realms Author

2396 Posts

Posted - 15 May 2008 :  20:56:54  Show Profile  Visit ElaineCunningham's Homepage
quote:
Originally posted by Sebastrd

quote:

Upcoming 4th edition changes to the Realms will render many of the themes and concerns of this book irrelevant, just as the destruction of Halruaa pretty much guaranteed the irrelevance of the Counselors & Kings trilogy.

Elaine, I am a huge fan of the 4E changes and really look forward to seeing some new life breathed into the Realms. I think that the 4E changes will make such storylines even more relevant. It's that rich and storied history that gives the Realms its charm, and that history is chock full of wonderful stories that have no bearing on the present. That doesn't make them any less exciting or relevant. We're about to greet a bright new age of Realms history; and without the irrelevant stories of the past, we wouldn't have the perspective to appreciate it.

I sincerely hope you find what was broken, if not to salvage the story, to at least learn from the experience. That's what history is for in the first place.

Thanks for the encouraging word. I think I did figure out what the problem was with the story. And yes, I did learn lessons from this experience, which I plan to apply to future projects.

When it comes to the importance of history, you're preaching to the choir. I'm a former history teacher, current history buff, and-- god/dess willing an' the creek don't rise--a future author of historical fiction. When I use the word "irrelevant" to apply to my Halruaa novels, I'm speaking in certain specific, pragmatic terms: publishing, editorial direction, and game design. It seems unlikely to me that they'll be reprinted any time soon, since they're set in a land that no longer exists, a land that was destroyed because, in the opinions of the 4e designers, it did not fit the "core Realms." By those measures, the trilogy is no longer relevant.
Go to Top of Page

Purple Dragon Knight
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1796 Posts

Posted - 16 May 2008 :  07:30:05  Show Profile Send Purple Dragon Knight a Private Message
Sigh.

May Erk Mona mastermind the hiring of all GOOD Realmslore freelancers, authors, currently-shackled-at-WotC staffers, and resurrect the Realms with a big "Pre-Spellplague" subtitle, a-la-Pathfinder in terms of vibrancy and quality... [rambles on into the night...]
Go to Top of Page

ElaineCunningham
Forgotten Realms Author

2396 Posts

Posted - 16 May 2008 :  12:49:05  Show Profile  Visit ElaineCunningham's Homepage
quote:
Originally posted by Purple Dragon Knight

Sigh.

May Erk Mona mastermind the hiring of all GOOD Realmslore freelancers, authors, currently-shackled-at-WotC staffers, and resurrect the Realms with a big "Pre-Spellplague" subtitle, a-la-Pathfinder in terms of vibrancy and quality... [rambles on into the night...]

The situation with the Realms is what it is. I'm taking a pragmatic view of it all. Fourth edition wouldn't be the first time, or even the second, I've taken a deep breath, then reassessed and readjusted.

Funny you should mention Pathfinder, though. I'm going to be doing some campaign-related serial fiction. It's just a small project--six episodes, novella length in total--but I'm really looking foward to it. There are elves in Golarion, and I get to write about them.
Go to Top of Page

Sebastrd
Acolyte

28 Posts

Posted - 16 May 2008 :  17:45:17  Show Profile  Visit Sebastrd's Homepage Send Sebastrd a Private Message
quote:
When it comes to the importance of history, you're preaching to the choir. I'm a former history teacher, current history buff, and-- god/dess willing an' the creek don't rise--a future author of historical fiction. When I use the word "irrelevant" to apply to my Halruaa novels, I'm speaking in certain specific, pragmatic terms: publishing, editorial direction, and game design. It seems unlikely to me that they'll be reprinted any time soon, since they're set in a land that no longer exists, a land that was destroyed because, in the opinions of the 4e designers, it did not fit the "core Realms." By those measures, the trilogy is no longer relevant.

You know, James Jacobs mentioned something about 4E making a lot of his previous work irrelevant, and I get the impression you may be feeling some of that, too. As I told him, no matter what changes WotC need to make in the 4E Realms, your previous work will always have value. A great story never goes out of style. Someday, a kid will find a copy of The Magehound while rummaging at a garage sale or in a used book store, and Kiva, Matteo, and Tzigone will be born again to live on in the imagination of a new fan.
Go to Top of Page

Sebastrd
Acolyte

28 Posts

Posted - 16 May 2008 :  17:46:08  Show Profile  Visit Sebastrd's Homepage Send Sebastrd a Private Message
quote:

Out of curiosity, any particular era or region of history that interests you?

Edited by - Sebastrd on 16 May 2008 17:48:27
Go to Top of Page

capnvan
Senior Scribe

USA
592 Posts

Posted - 18 May 2008 :  14:24:06  Show Profile  Visit capnvan's Homepage Send capnvan a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by ElaineCunninghamThe situation with the Realms is what it is.

Can that be taken as a sign of Patriots fandom, or simply as a sign of pop culture and its pervasiveness?

"Saving a life, though regrettable, is a small price to pay for a whole lifetime of unfettered killing."
Go to Top of Page

ElaineCunningham
Forgotten Realms Author

2396 Posts

Posted - 18 May 2008 :  15:07:54  Show Profile  Visit ElaineCunningham's Homepage
quote:
Originally posted by capnvan

quote:
Originally posted by ElaineCunninghamThe situation with the Realms is what it is.

Can that be taken as a sign of Patriots fandom, or simply as a sign of pop culture and its pervasiveness?

Not a football fan, no. I wasn't aware that "it is what it is" is a pop cultural idiom. It's just a change from my usual expression of pragmatism, which is quoting Jimmy Durante's observation, "Them's the conditions that prevails."
Go to Top of Page

ElaineCunningham
Forgotten Realms Author

2396 Posts

Posted - 18 May 2008 :  15:09:57  Show Profile  Visit ElaineCunningham's Homepage
quote:

Most recently, I've been immersed in 16th century Scotland.
Go to Top of Page

Sebastrd
Acolyte

28 Posts

Posted - 18 May 2008 :  17:24:07  Show Profile  Visit Sebastrd's Homepage Send Sebastrd a Private Message
quote:

quote:

Most recently, I've been immersed in 16th century Scotland.

Awesome. I don't syle myself as anything approaching a historian, but history in that area of the world has always been a favorite of mine.
Go to Top of Page

ElaineCunningham
Forgotten Realms Author

2396 Posts

Posted - 19 May 2008 :  12:03:23  Show Profile  Visit ElaineCunningham's Homepage
quote:
Awesome. I don't syle myself as anything approaching a historian, but history in that area of the world has always been a favorite of mine.

Tell me about it. As families go, the Stuarts and Tudors were so disfunctional they make the Sopranos look like the Brady Bunch.

Go to Top of Page

Steven Schend
Forgotten Realms Designer & Author

USA
1714 Posts

Posted - 19 May 2008 :  14:30:36  Show Profile  Visit Steven Schend's Homepage Send Steven Schend a Private Message
quote:

quote:

Tell me about it. As families go, the Stuarts and Tudors were so disfunctional they make the Sopranos look like the Brady Bunch.

Very true. It's my theory that HBO's entire programming strategy is this: We'll give you families and groups So Disfunctional you can't help but feel better about your own lives.

Sopranos--Disfunctional family in the mob

Six Feet Under--Disfunctional family in a funeral home

Tudors--Disfunctional family in Merrie Olde England

Rome--Disfunctional families in Ancient Rome

L Word--Disfunctional families of lesbians

Queer as Folk--Disfunctional families of gay men

Two or even three times is happenstance; this is a trend.

Steven
whose favorite disfunctional family is still the Thanns of Waterdeep

For current projects and general natter, see www.steveneschend.com
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31716 Posts

Posted - 19 May 2008 :  14:50:22  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Steven Schend

Steven
whose favorite disfunctional family is still the Thanns of Waterdeep
Whether you'd intended it or not, I had a feeling you were going to say that.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Purple Dragon Knight
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1796 Posts

Posted - 22 May 2008 :  06:15:01  Show Profile Send Purple Dragon Knight a Private Message
quote:

Funny you should mention Pathfinder, though. I'm going to be doing some campaign-related serial fiction. It's just a small project--six episodes, novella length in total--but I'm really looking foward to it. There are elves in Golarion, and I get to write about them.

Please... DO go onnnnnnnnnnnn!!!
Go to Top of Page

Zanan
Senior Scribe

Germany
942 Posts

Posted - 22 May 2008 :  09:19:53  Show Profile  Visit Zanan's Homepage Send Zanan a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Steven Schend
Rome--Disfunctional families in Ancient Rome

Well ... they kept their republic and empire running for the better part of 1,100 years.

Functional families ... House Baenre and House Nasadra of MEnzoberranzan and Ched Nasad respectively. They make even the Roman folk look like amateurs (with a little help from the designers, of course).

Gæð a wyrd swa hio scel!

Edited by - Zanan on 22 May 2008 09:22:48
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 81 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000