Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Chamber of Sages
 Questions for Elaine Cunningham
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 81

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 21 Apr 2008 :  03:01:11  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Rinonalyrna Fathomlin

Is that novel pretty easy to get into without knowing anything about the Everquest setting? I was thinking of trying it out, myself.

I'd say that it would be pretty easy to get into even if you don't know much about the setting. Yes, there are some references to the some of the places in the setting and some of the npcs, but the plot was easy enough to follow even if you don't have much knowledge about EQ.

Least thats my opinion.

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium

Edited by - Kuje on 21 Apr 2008 03:01:45
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 21 Apr 2008 :  03:44:42  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Kuje

I'd say that it would be pretty easy to get into even if you don't know much about the setting. Yes, there are some references to the some of the places in the setting and some of the npcs, but the plot was easy enough to follow even if you don't have much knowledge about EQ.

Least thats my opinion.

Thanks for giving me your opinion, I appreciate it.

"Instead of asking why we sleep, it might make sense to ask why we wake. Perchance we live to dream. From that perspective, the sea of troubles we navigate in the workaday world might be the price we pay for admission to another night in the world of dreams."
--Richard Greene (letter to Time)
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31716 Posts

Posted - 21 Apr 2008 :  03:50:17  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message
Indeed. I'm not sure whether I'll tackle Blood Red Harp before I read through the other EQ novels, but I do know a little about the setting itself, so there shouldn't be too much problem for me.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Zanan
Senior Scribe

Germany
942 Posts

Posted - 21 Apr 2008 :  10:08:18  Show Profile  Visit Zanan's Homepage Send Zanan a Private Message
SPeaking of Shakti above, has she actually been statted somewhere?

Cave quid dicis, quando et cui!

Gęš a wyrd swa hio scel!

In memory of Alura Durshavin.

Visit my "Homepage" to find A Guide to the Drow NPCs of Faerūn, Drow and non-Drow PrC and much more.
Go to Top of Page

ElaineCunningham
Forgotten Realms Author

2396 Posts

Posted - 21 Apr 2008 :  13:16:04  Show Profile  Visit ElaineCunningham's Homepage
quote:
Originally posted by Zanan

SPeaking of Shakti above, has she actually been statted somewhere?

To my knowledge, she has not been assigned stats.
Go to Top of Page

ElaineCunningham
Forgotten Realms Author

2396 Posts

Posted - 21 Apr 2008 :  15:55:57  Show Profile  Visit ElaineCunningham's Homepage
quote:
Originally posted by Kuje

quote:
Originally posted by Rinonalyrna Fathomlin

Is that novel pretty easy to get into without knowing anything about the Everquest setting? I was thinking of trying it out, myself.

My goal was to write a story that anyone could read, no prior knowledge necessary. For the most part, I think I hit the right note here. You really don't need to know anything about EverQuest to follow the story.

It helps, I think, that I knew nothing about EverQuest before I started writing the book. If you're very familiar with a topic and have been for a long time, it's easy to assume the readers share your familiarity. ((My older sister, for example, shares my interest in English history. She was amused by the two ladies sitting behind her during a showing of "The Other Bolyn Girl." They were shocked when Ann Bolyn was beheaded. "Huh. Never say THAT coming....") But when you start from the beginning, your experience in learning about the world can help you write a story that's accessible to newcomers.

Edited by - ElaineCunningham on 21 Apr 2008 15:57:35
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36793 Posts

Posted - 21 Apr 2008 :  16:32:34  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message
Aw, man, you just ruined the movie for me!

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!

Edited by - Wooly Rupert on 21 Apr 2008 16:33:02
Go to Top of Page

ElaineCunningham
Forgotten Realms Author

2396 Posts

Posted - 21 Apr 2008 :  16:40:13  Show Profile  Visit ElaineCunningham's Homepage
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

Oops--sorry. Should have posted spoilers for something that happened more than four hundred years ago.

On a less (playfully) sarcastic note, I just became aware of the discussion on the WotC forum about Reclamation. I am a little frustated--though not at all surprised--to see this treated as fodder for those inclined to bash WotC for creating 4e. And I really, really wish they wouldn't.

I'm sorry that some folks aren't happy about 4e, but please, leave me out of that discussion. I really, REALLY don't need to be painted as "yet another victim of 4e." Negativity begets negativity, and my karma is already fubar. Not needing any help in that regard, thanks.

Edited by - ElaineCunningham on 21 Apr 2008 16:40:45
Go to Top of Page

Hoondatha
Great Reader

USA
2449 Posts

Posted - 21 Apr 2008 :  16:56:31  Show Profile  Visit Hoondatha's Homepage Send Hoondatha a Private Message
I'm sure we'll let the other boards know. Unfortunately, there's enough hostility out there (and, let's be honest, a whole bunch of fans of yours, willing to take offense on your part even if there's none there) that it's spilling over into areas that, any other time, it might not affect. Speaking for me personally, I've been thinking so many nasty things at WotC lately it's hard not to dump this on them as well, especially when I was looking forward to your next/last FR book so much.

I'm trying, though. Really, I am.

Doggedly converting 3e back to what D&D should be...
Sigh... And now 4e as well.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36793 Posts

Posted - 21 Apr 2008 :  17:05:53  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by ElaineCunningham

quote:

Oops--sorry. Should have posted spoilers for something that happened more than four hundred years ago.

Years back, a friend's mother, in line to see Titanic, commented to her husband that she couldn't believe there was a line to see a movie about a boat that sank. The woman in line behind her immediately snarled "Oh, thanks for giving away the plot!" and then got out of line and walked away.

And when I was working in restaurants, I found someone who asked me why I knew about things like the attack on Pearl Harbor (the conversation was on December 7th). Minutes later, when I commented on it to someone else, he asked "Isn't Pearl Harbor a band?" (This was before the movie of the same name.)

And on yet another occasion... I live on the Space Coast of Florida, maybe an hour's drive from Cape Canaveral. You can see launches quite well from just about anywhere in the county. A few years ago, there was an on-air discussion by the DJs of a local station. They, and the first few callers to call in, could not remember the name of the mission that first landed man on the moon.

quote:

On a less (playfully) sarcastic note, I just became aware of the discussion on the WotC forum about Reclamation. I am a little frustated--though not at all surprised--to see this treated as fodder for those inclined to bash WotC for creating 4e. And I really, really wish they wouldn't.

I'm sorry that some folks aren't happy about 4e, but please, leave me out of that discussion. I really, REALLY don't need to be painted as "yet another victim of 4e." Negativity begets negativity, and my karma is already fubar. Not needing any help in that regard, thanks.

I've seen that discussion, at least in the one thread over there I sometimes eyeball. In that discussion, at least one person has already piped up and tried to correct the situation. I'd do the same thing myself, but I refuse to post anything over there until my long-ago wrongful banning is rescinded.

Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 21 Apr 2008 :  18:50:40  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message
quote:

My goal was to write a story that anyone could read, no prior knowledge necessary. For the most part, I think I hit the right note here. You really don't need to know anything about EverQuest to follow the story.

It helps, I think, that I knew nothing about EverQuest before I started writing the book. If you're very familiar with a topic and have been for a long time, it's easy to assume the readers share your familiarity. ((My older sister, for example, shares my interest in English history. She was amused by the two ladies sitting behind her during a showing of "The Other Bolyn Girl." They were shocked when Ann Bolyn was beheaded. "Huh. Never say THAT coming....") But when you start from the beginning, your experience in learning about the world can help you write a story that's accessible to newcomers.

Thanks for the information. And yes, it is reassuring to know that you knew nothing about the EverQuest setting, either.

"Instead of asking why we sleep, it might make sense to ask why we wake. Perchance we live to dream. From that perspective, the sea of troubles we navigate in the workaday world might be the price we pay for admission to another night in the world of dreams."
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 21 Apr 2008 :  18:52:31  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message
quote:

I'm sorry that some folks aren't happy about 4e, but please, leave me out of that discussion. I really, REALLY don't need to be painted as "yet another victim of 4e."

I agree, I've done my best to say what I know about the situation over there (ie. this time, WotC isn't in the wrong).

Go to Top of Page

ElaineCunningham
Forgotten Realms Author

2396 Posts

Posted - 21 Apr 2008 :  19:11:11  Show Profile  Visit ElaineCunningham's Homepage
Thanks. I'm hoping this will blow over soon.
Go to Top of Page

Ergdusch
Master of Realmslore

Germany
1720 Posts

Posted - 22 Apr 2008 :  15:59:30  Show Profile Send Ergdusch a Private Message
Dear Elaine!

I finished the C&K trilogy this afternoon! I have checked some sourcebooks about Halruaa (published prior to C&K) on what they about this place and the books plot. I have to say: to see what you made out of the existing lore is magnificant! I am stunned! Great work. The concept of Akhlaur, the Laraken, you said this was given lore from a sourcebook. But still, I love what you made out of this little lore that existed. All those connections you drew, the life and meaning and purpose you breathed into the vague information,... great work and I really have to tell you that I enjoyed the books very much, esp. the glimpse at Halruaan lore.

Other aspekts of the books that drew my special interest are:
1. The Unseelie folk - I don't recall having read anything about them in the Realms before. Hints on where to find more would be appreciated.
2. The subtly introduction of the presence of the shadow weave. Who would have thought that it would take such a turn in the end!
3. The hints on Elven History in Halruaa
4. The mage-duel between Procopio and Tzigone
5. What you made out of the laraken! Great!

All in all I thanks you for a great reading experience!

Ergdusch

"Das Gras weht im Wind, wenn der Wind weht."

Edited by - Ergdusch on 22 Apr 2008 16:01:26
Go to Top of Page

AlorinDawn
Learned Scribe

USA
313 Posts

Posted - 22 Apr 2008 :  17:38:41  Show Profile  Visit AlorinDawn's Homepage Send AlorinDawn a Private Message
Elaine,

How's the alignment change going?
Go to Top of Page

sfdragon
Great Reader

2285 Posts

Posted - 22 Apr 2008 :  18:19:40  Show Profile Send sfdragon a Private Message
quote:

quote:

what does fubar mean?

and i havent read that thread over there, so if there is bashing i wont bother with it.

I did have a question, but its just not worth asking

why is being a wizard like being a drow? both are likely to find a dagger in the back from a rival or one looking to further his own goals, fame and power

My FR fan fiction
Magister's GAmbit
http://steelfiredragon.deviantart.com/gallery/33539234
Go to Top of Page

Afetbinttuzani
Senior Scribe

Canada
434 Posts

Posted - 22 Apr 2008 :  18:38:49  Show Profile  Visit Afetbinttuzani's Homepage Send Afetbinttuzani a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by sfdragon
what does fubar mean?

To save Elaine from having to give a detailed response, thus spoiling the snowy white purity of this forum, see the following Wikipedia article:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fubar

Afet bint Tuzanķ

"As the good Archmage often admonishes me, I ought not to let my mind wander, as it's too small to go off by itself."
- Danilo Thann in Elfsong by Elaine Cunningham

Edited by - Afetbinttuzani on 22 Apr 2008 18:43:43
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36793 Posts

Posted - 22 Apr 2008 :  18:55:41  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Afetbinttuzani

quote:
Originally posted by sfdragon
what does fubar mean?

To save Elaine from having to give a detailed response, thus spoiling the snowy white purity of this forum, see the following Wikipedia article:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fubar

I learned a slightly different version from what's there... The version I learned, the AR stand for All Repair, not All Reason or All Recognition. Same basic thing, though.

Go to Top of Page

Red Marauder
Acolyte

United Kingdom
5 Posts

Posted - 22 Apr 2008 :  23:16:55  Show Profile  Visit Red Marauder's Homepage Send Red Marauder a Private Message
Truly gutted to hear that Reclamation has been cancelled, the book i was most looking forward to being released this year!!

You have stated that the book has been cancelled because you missed the deadline. Becuase a writer misses their deadline, does that mean WotC are now longer interested in pusblishing the story?? The fact that they commissioned you to write a further story about Danilo, Elaith etc after such a long time since the last novel, surely means they felt there was a strong market/demand out there for this novel?? Did they indicate whether they intend to perhaps "ressurect" it in the future??

You said that there were a number of changes you kept making to the manuscript. Do you think if you had the opportunity to write a longer novel in hardcover format, you might have been able to cover everything you really wanted to and thus got it out in time??

Apologies for the numerous questions!!
Go to Top of Page

ElaineCunningham
Forgotten Realms Author

2396 Posts

Posted - 22 Apr 2008 :  23:56:45  Show Profile  Visit ElaineCunningham's Homepage
quote:
Originally posted by Red Marauder

Becuase a writer misses their deadline, does that mean WotC are now longer interested in pusblishing the story??

No, I don't think that conclusion logically follows. You might want to go back and read some of the previous discussion to get a more complete picture.

quote:
Did they indicate whether they intend to perhaps "ressurect" it in the future??

No, I have heard nothing to indicate this.

quote:
You said that there were a number of changes you kept making to the manuscript. Do you think if you had the opportunity to write a longer novel in hardcover format, you might have been able to cover everything you really wanted to and thus got it out in time??

Again, I think this has been covered. WotC extended the deadline more than once, so it was not a matter of time. It certainly wasn't an issue of format; I assure you, this was not a brilliant ploy to upgrade the book to hardcover. And no, I wouldn't WANT this particular book in hardcover. It wouldn't make sense, since the previous Songs & Swords books were all paperback originals. Also, you go with a hardcover when you're building a series, not ending it.

Go to Top of Page

AlorinDawn
Learned Scribe

USA
313 Posts

Posted - 23 Apr 2008 :  00:25:08  Show Profile  Visit AlorinDawn's Homepage Send AlorinDawn a Private Message
Elaine,

Go to Top of Page

ElaineCunningham
Forgotten Realms Author

2396 Posts

Posted - 23 Apr 2008 :  01:01:00  Show Profile  Visit ElaineCunningham's Homepage
quote:
Originally posted by AlorinDawn

Elaine,

Working on it. I'm still leaning toward Chaotic Neutral, but these things take time.

Go to Top of Page

Charles Phipps
Master of Realmslore

1425 Posts

Posted - 23 Apr 2008 :  01:46:42  Show Profile  Visit Charles Phipps's Homepage Send Charles Phipps a Private Message
I'm not so sure that's the case, Elaine. Dragons of Summer Flame was the swan song for the Dragonlance series (paperback) and while the Songs and Swords Trilogy is SLIGHTLY less influential (hehe), its something that I think plenty of fans would be happy to buy in hardback.

:-)

My Blog: http://unitedfederationofcharles.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Charles Phipps
Master of Realmslore

1425 Posts

Posted - 23 Apr 2008 :  01:57:56  Show Profile  Visit Charles Phipps's Homepage Send Charles Phipps a Private Message
Oh and everyone.

I created a Elaine Cunningham tribute thread here.

http://forums.gleemax.com/showthread.php?p=15685519#post15685519

Go to Top of Page

ElaineCunningham
Forgotten Realms Author

2396 Posts

Posted - 23 Apr 2008 :  02:14:33  Show Profile  Visit ElaineCunningham's Homepage
quote:
Originally posted by Charles Phipps

Oh and everyone.

I created a Elaine Cunningham tribute thread here.

http://forums.gleemax.com/showthread.php?p=15685519#post15685519

Yikes. Uh, thanks for the thought, but is there any way you could delete this? In addition to the cognitive dissonance issue, a tribute thread makes me feel...dead.
Go to Top of Page

ElaineCunningham
Forgotten Realms Author

2396 Posts

Posted - 23 Apr 2008 :  02:19:35  Show Profile  Visit ElaineCunningham's Homepage
quote:
Originally posted by Charles Phipps

I'm not so sure that's the case, Elaine. Dragons of Summer Flame was the swan song for the Dragonlance series (paperback) and while the Songs and Swords Trilogy is SLIGHTLY less influential (hehe), its something that I think plenty of fans would be happy to buy in hardback.

:-)

I appreciate the thought, but it doesn't make sense to put the final book of a paperback series in hardcover. The Dragonlance example isn't a close analogy. Yes, most of the DL books are paperback, but I believe there were several hardcover books prior to DotSF. Songs & Swords has ONLY been published in hardcover.

But this is a completely moot point. :)
Go to Top of Page

Charles Phipps
Master of Realmslore

1425 Posts

Posted - 23 Apr 2008 :  02:28:42  Show Profile  Visit Charles Phipps's Homepage Send Charles Phipps a Private Message
okay dokey, Elaine.

I replaced the topic with another one.

I guess I was "mourning" the end of the Song and Swords series.

(I've saved the actual tribute though if you want to see it---It did express how much I really did love it)

Go to Top of Page

Cyria
Acolyte

20 Posts

Posted - 23 Apr 2008 :  09:13:40  Show Profile  Visit Cyria's Homepage Send Cyria a Private Message
Elaine,

I was very sorry to hear about the cancellation of Reclamation since your 90s books helped me get a good "feel" for storytelling in the Realms and especially the Waterdeep area. However, if you could not make Reclamation come together as you believe it should have, I understand this decision completely. While it is a shame I won't get to read a book I was looking forward to, I want to thank you for the enjoyment you've already provided me with your stories of Arilyn, Danilo and Elaith.
Go to Top of Page

Finglas Leaflock
Acolyte

USA
35 Posts

Posted - 23 Apr 2008 :  16:34:39  Show Profile Send Finglas Leaflock a Private Message
First a redundant reply to Rinonalyrna--I didn't know anything about Everquest, and thoroughly enjoyed The Blood Red Harp. So add me to the "thumbs up, recommend it" list.

My question for EC is a Songs and Swords one, but perhaps thankfully, not related to most of the recent questions and commentary (Cyria's post covers how I feel about it, and does so better than I would have). Anyway, how do you pronounce Amnestria? Over the years, I've gone back and forth between AM-neh-STREE-a and Am-NEES-tree-a, but realize that either or neither may be correct.

Thanks, and looking forward to reading your future work in or outside the Realms.

Edited by - Finglas Leaflock on 23 Apr 2008 16:40:34
Go to Top of Page

ElaineCunningham
Forgotten Realms Author

2396 Posts

Posted - 23 Apr 2008 :  16:43:24  Show Profile  Visit ElaineCunningham's Homepage
quote:
Originally posted by Finglas Leaflock

Anyway, how do you pronounce Amnestria? Over the years, I've gone back and forth between AM-neh-STREE-a and Am-NEES-tree-a, but realize that either or neither may be correct.

am-NESS-tree-ah.

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 81 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000