Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Chamber of Sages
 Questions for Elaine Cunningham
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 81

ElaineCunningham
Forgotten Realms Author

2396 Posts

Posted - 22 May 2008 :  12:20:13  Show Profile  Visit ElaineCunningham's Homepage
quote:
Originally posted by Purple Dragon Knight

quote:
Originally posted by ElaineCunningham

Funny you should mention Pathfinder, though. I'm going to be doing some campaign-related serial fiction. It's just a small project--six episodes, novella length in total--but I'm really looking foward to it. There are elves in Golarion, and I get to write about them.

Please... DO go onnnnnnnnnnnn!!!

Folks, I think we have an all-time record for emoticon use! The judges are conferring and it's . . . it's . . . . YES! It's Purple Dragon Knight for the win!

There's not much to tell just yet. As things develop, I'll post info on my website, www.elainecunningham.com, and possibly also my LJ Journal. Probably won't go into much detail here, as it's not FR related.
Go to Top of Page

Purple Dragon Knight
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1796 Posts

Posted - 23 May 2008 :  01:06:14  Show Profile Send Purple Dragon Knight a Private Message
quote:
Probably won't go into much detail here, as it's not FR related.

Nonsense! anything you write about is welcomed in these humble halls Elaine!
Go to Top of Page

Purple Dragon Knight
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1796 Posts

Posted - 23 May 2008 :  23:52:37  Show Profile Send Purple Dragon Knight a Private Message
quote:
Probably won't go into much detail here, as it's not FR related.

Nonsense! anything you write about is welcomed in these humble halls Elaine!
Go to Top of Page

sfdragon
Great Reader

2285 Posts

Posted - 14 Jun 2008 :  00:00:21  Show Profile Send sfdragon a Private Message
there is a thread on the wotc board that asks if drizzt and lireal became dark elves after the ascendancy of the last novel, while you cant asnwer about drizzt, lireal was your creation and while her tale is over, I am curious about that and what happens to the lithari after Eilistraee's alledged death in your oppinion.

or is that still under NDA issues

why is being a wizard like being a drow? both are likely to find a dagger in the back from a rival or one looking to further his own goals, fame and power

My FR fan fiction
Magister's GAmbit
http://steelfiredragon.deviantart.com/gallery/33539234
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36793 Posts

Posted - 14 Jun 2008 :  00:32:10  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message
Elaine may not be able to answer that question. She refrains, as much as possible, from going beyond the events of her novels. The relevant quote:

quote:

Hello again!

First off, I should probably admit that I'm opening this thread with some misgivings. One of the reasons I had it closed six months ago was my reluctance to say over and over, “Sorry, but I can’t answer that.” So before going any further, it might be a good idea to set some parameters as to what I can and can't address.

• I cannot and will not answer questions about stories than have not yet been published. NDA restrictions apply.

• Ed Greenwood can add new lore and fill in blanks, but I am not able to speculate on matters not yet covered by published material. For one thing, I tend toward a conservative interpretation of the NDA clauses on my contracts; for another, I am not as fast or prolific a writer as Ed. There is no possible way I could answer such questions as, “How has the faith of Eilistraee changed over the past 4000 years, where have the main enclaves of Eilistraee followers been located, and how did the locals respond to these enclaves?” That’s a book, not a message board post.

• I will not comment on 4e, mostly because what isn’t covered by NDA is shrouded by my own ignorance. I’m a freelance writer, not a WotC insider, and I'm definitely on the outside of this issue. Which is fine. Since the events of RECLAMATION took place before the timeframe leading up to 4e, I haven’t needed to know much about it.

Finally, just because this is a Q&A thread, it doesn’t follow that all posts have to be questions. I'm open to a discussion of related ideas and themes, as long as it's relevant to the Realms.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

ElaineCunningham
Forgotten Realms Author

2396 Posts

Posted - 14 Jun 2008 :  01:18:27  Show Profile  Visit ElaineCunningham's Homepage
quote:
Originally posted by sfdragon

there is a thread on the wotc board that asks if drizzt and lireal became dark elves after the ascendancy of the last novel, while you cant asnwer about drizzt, lireal was your creation and while her tale is over, I am curious about that and what happens to the lithari after Eilistraee's alledged death in your oppinion.

Wooly's quote pretty much covers this. Also, I have no idea what WotC is planning for the lythari.

Sorry I couldn't shed more light.

Go to Top of Page

sfdragon
Great Reader

2285 Posts

Posted - 14 Jun 2008 :  20:43:40  Show Profile Send sfdragon a Private Message
quote:

quote:

Wooly's quote pretty much covers this. Also, I have no idea what WotC is planning for the lythari.

Sorry I couldn't shed more light.

meant that character that was identified as a champion of eilistraee.. not the race in general....

oh well back to original thought
they all died in the plague

why is being a wizard like being a drow? both are likely to find a dagger in the back from a rival or one looking to further his own goals, fame and power

My FR fan fiction
Magister's GAmbit
http://steelfiredragon.deviantart.com/gallery/33539234
Go to Top of Page

ElaineCunningham
Forgotten Realms Author

2396 Posts

Posted - 15 Jun 2008 :  11:05:50  Show Profile  Visit ElaineCunningham's Homepage
I'm sorry to have to sidestep your questions about the fate of my Forgotten Realms characters, but the truth is, I don't KNOW what happens to any of them. Since they are all the property of WotC, I cannot say what use might be made of them, or more likely, what fate might be casually assigned in a throw-away comment in some other novel or game product.

The hundred-year time jump will kill many of the familiar FR characters. It is possible that some will survive, particularly some of the younger elves, but I would assume that very few characters will be carried over into 4E, as that rather defeats the point.
Go to Top of Page

ACIS
Acolyte

USA
9 Posts

Posted - 26 Jun 2008 :  01:53:14  Show Profile  Visit ACIS's Homepage Send ACIS a Private Message
Elaine (and Steven if you read this), I have a question regarding FR elves. Essentially, thier hierachy and system of rank in society. I think I might be either real close or dead-on but I need the experts to set me rigth!

My Theory is here at this link:
http://forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=11135

Please scroll down to where it has in large bold "A Change of Gears".

The reason I ask you is because of your (can't say it enough) excellent novels on my favorite pointy-eared race (elves) would need a good understanding of them and how they do business. You and Steven, I think, would be the ringers for this one. Any confirmation, or condemnation and clarification, would just tickle me to death ;)

Thankyou!!

Edited by - ACIS on 26 Jun 2008 01:56:12
Go to Top of Page

Charles Phipps
Master of Realmslore

1425 Posts

Posted - 06 Jul 2008 :  09:23:11  Show Profile  Visit Charles Phipps's Homepage Send Charles Phipps a Private Message
Getting back to non-4E questions, Elaine.

Isabeau Thione is an interesting character and I wanted to compliment you on her underated story. You chose a nice story arc for her, essentially establishing that she's a selfish little witch whose more similiar to her mother than you might think (nicely removing the expectations of a scullery maid finding out she's royalty from the Cinderella theme it usually has).

Any particular reason you chose to portray her as such a gold digger? I am confused though, is there a reason why the Waterdeep folk wanted to dig up Lucia's child and plop her in Waterdeep high society? I never quite understood the reason.

My Blog: http://unitedfederationofcharles.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

ElaineCunningham
Forgotten Realms Author

2396 Posts

Posted - 06 Jul 2008 :  14:54:40  Show Profile  Visit ElaineCunningham's Homepage
quote:
Originally posted by Charles Phipps

Getting back to non-4E questions, Elaine.

Isabeau Thione is an interesting character and I wanted to compliment you on her underated story. You chose a nice story arc for her, essentially establishing that she's a selfish little witch whose more similiar to her mother than you might think (nicely removing the expectations of a scullery maid finding out she's royalty from the Cinderella theme it usually has).

Any particular reason you chose to portray her as such a gold digger? I am confused though, is there a reason why the Waterdeep folk wanted to dig up Lucia's child and plop her in Waterdeep high society? I never quite understood the reason.

She is related to the royal family of Tethyr, and as such, would be a valuable political pawn to many factions both inside and outside of Tethyr. Waterdeep is (was) deeply invested in Tethyr's politics, and the ruling powers wanted her kept close, safe, and out of trouble.
Go to Top of Page

ElaineCunningham
Forgotten Realms Author

2396 Posts

Posted - 06 Jul 2008 :  14:58:56  Show Profile  Visit ElaineCunningham's Homepage
quote:
Originally posted by ACIS

Elaine (and Steven if you read this), I have a question regarding FR elves. Essentially, thier hierachy and system of rank in society. I think I might be either real close or dead-on but I need the experts to set me rigth!

My Theory is here at this link:
http://forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=11135

Please scroll down to where it has in large bold "A Change of Gears".

The reason I ask you is because of your (can't say it enough) excellent novels on my favorite pointy-eared race (elves) would need a good understanding of them and how they do business. You and Steven, I think, would be the ringers for this one. Any confirmation, or condemnation and clarification, would just tickle me to death ;)

Thankyou!!

Hi, ACIS.

I'm flattered that you'd ask me to vet your elven culture project, but I'm going to have to pass because a) I try not to read "non-canon" Realms material, b) I'm really not up on the recent developments of elves in the Realms, and c) I'm under multiple deadlines at present.

You may also want to post this in Stephen's thread.

Best,
ec
Go to Top of Page

Jamallo Kreen
Master of Realmslore

USA
1537 Posts

Posted - 07 Jul 2008 :  00:36:56  Show Profile  Visit Jamallo Kreen's Homepage Send Jamallo Kreen a Private Message
Originally posted by Elaine Cunningham

quote:
GENERAL ANNOUNCEMENT

I rewrote the plot several times, changed the scope of the story, dropped characters and subplots and added new ones, changed Elaith Craulnober's role from a secondary character to a major character, wrote, revised, tossed out, lather-rinse-repeat. Despite all these efforts--and also because of them--I was unable to complete the book before the drop-deadline. After much consideration, the folks at WotC decided to cancel RECLAMATION.

Yes, I'm disappointed. This story dealt with several issues I would have liked to resolve: the final mystery behind the moonblades, the identity of the child Princess Amnestria bore to Elaith Craunober, the fate of Kymil Nimesin, the royal succession of Evermeet. Elaith needed to face his past and move beyond it one way or another. Danilo needed to move beyond what my friend and current co-writer calls "a walking romantic subplot" and come into his own. Arilyn had residual issues raised by events in the last part of Dream Spheres.

quote:

quote:

any chance that you can tell us what Elaith's son name was

Afraid not. All material in the story is under a NDA until publication. There is no provision for situations in which a story does NOT see publication, so I consider myself bound by the terms of the contract.

Elaine, am I reading your 18 April message correctly, that you regard the answers to all of these questions to be solely the property of WotC and not for you to post? I don't suppose that as Hasbro's profits take a hit this year, they would consider it prudent to allow popular authors to reveal the answers to hundred-year-old questions, eh? *sigh*

I have a mouth, but I am in a library and must not scream.

Feed the poor and stroke your ego, too: http://www.freerice.com/index.php.

Go to Top of Page

Purple Dragon Knight
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1796 Posts

Posted - 08 Jul 2008 :  21:52:22  Show Profile Send Purple Dragon Knight a Private Message
Salvatore, Stackpole, and Cunningham Come to Planet Stories in August

Paizo Publishing today announced the fast-approaching release of Worlds of Their Own, a short story anthology of shared-world fiction edited by James Lowder (The Book of All Flesh, Prince of Lies) that features many popular fantasy authors including R.A. Salvatore, Michael A. Stackpole, and Elaine Cunningham that releases this August.

"Shared-world authors sometimes live in a sort of literary ghetto in the minds of critics and their fellow authors," said Paizo's Publisher, Erik Mona. "This collection presents creator-owned stories by some of the best of today's shared-world authors, freeing their creativity from the shackles of corporate dictates and elaborate multi-author continuities. It's exciting to see what these authors do when they're playing with home field advantage."

Many of today's best (and best-selling) fantasists got their start writing shared-world fiction supporting roleplaying games. Worlds of Their Own collects more than a dozen thrilling tales,... [more]
Go to Top of Page

ElaineCunningham
Forgotten Realms Author

2396 Posts

Posted - 08 Jul 2008 :  22:54:36  Show Profile  Visit ElaineCunningham's Homepage
quote:
Originally posted by Jamallo Kreen

Originally posted by Elaine Cunningham
Elaine, am I reading your 18 April message correctly, that you regard the answers to all of these questions to be solely the property of WotC and not for you to post? I don't suppose that as Hasbro's profits take a hit this year, they would consider it prudent to allow popular authors to reveal the answers to hundred-year-old questions, eh? *sigh*

You're reading me correctly. Unanswered questions should, according to my contracts, be answered only in print. This makes sense to me. This way, if WotC decides to take another direction, there isn't contradictory and potentially confusing info floating around.
Go to Top of Page

ElaineCunningham
Forgotten Realms Author

2396 Posts

Posted - 08 Jul 2008 :  22:56:06  Show Profile  Visit ElaineCunningham's Homepage
quote:

Paizo Publishing today announced the fast-approaching release of Worlds of Their Own, a short story anthology of shared-world fiction edited by James Lowder (The Book of All Flesh, Prince of Lies) that features many popular fantasy authors including R.A. Salvatore, Michael A. Stackpole, and Elaine Cunningham that releases this August.

"Shared-world authors sometimes live in a sort of literary ghetto in the minds of critics and their fellow authors," said Paizo's Publisher, Erik Mona. "This collection presents creator-owned stories by some of the best of today's shared-world authors, freeing their creativity from the shackles of corporate dictates and elaborate multi-author continuities. It's exciting to see what these authors do when they're playing with home field advantage."

Many of today's best (and best-selling) fantasists got their start writing shared-world fiction supporting roleplaying games. Worlds of Their Own collects more than a dozen thrilling tales,... [more]

Thanks for posting this notice. I hope folks will consider taking a look at this collection. Jim Lowder always does a good job with anthologies, and the folks at Paizo seem to be happy with this one.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36793 Posts

Posted - 08 Jul 2008 :  23:53:41  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message
quote:

quote:

Thanks for posting this notice. I hope folks will consider taking a look at this collection. Jim Lowder always does a good job with anthologies, and the folks at Paizo seem to be happy with this one.

I certainly will. Elaine is now among that small circle of authors who can sell me a book by putting their name on it. Stackpole is another -- I loved his BattleTech stuff, I loved the one Star Wars novel by him that I've read, and I've loved or at the least thoroughly enjoyed almost all of his non-shared world stuff.

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31716 Posts

Posted - 09 Jul 2008 :  01:17:27  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message
Indeed, Wooly is definitely on the mark. I'm ecstatic over the prospect of a book that will contain fiction from both Elaine Cunningham and Michael "Davions always win" Stackpole.

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36793 Posts

Posted - 09 Jul 2008 :  01:45:57  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

Michael "Davions always win" Stackpole.

See, he understood one of the fundamental truths of that setting.

Go to Top of Page

The Red Walker
Great Reader

USA
3566 Posts

Posted - 09 Jul 2008 :  02:16:22  Show Profile Send The Red Walker a Private Message
The other authors all all extras as I would do anything for anything new from Elaine!

ed: Punctuation!

A little nonsense now and then, relished by the wisest men - Willy Wonka

"We need men who can dream of things that never were." -

John F. Kennedy, speech in Dublin, Ireland, June 28, 1963

Edited by - The Red Walker on 09 Jul 2008 02:17:08
Go to Top of Page

Kyrene
Senior Scribe

South Africa
757 Posts

Posted - 14 Aug 2008 :  06:40:54  Show Profile  Visit Kyrene's Homepage Send Kyrene a Private Message
Elaine,

If I can only get my hands on Evermeet, Elfshadow, Silver Shadows and Daughter of the Drow, which—if any—would you recommend?

Lost for words? Find them in the Glossary of Phrases, Sayings & Words of the Realms
Go to Top of Page

ElaineCunningham
Forgotten Realms Author

2396 Posts

Posted - 14 Aug 2008 :  11:44:20  Show Profile  Visit ElaineCunningham's Homepage
quote:
Originally posted by Kyrene

Elaine,

If I can only get my hands on Evermeet, Elfshadow, Silver Shadows and Daughter of the Drow, which—if any—would you recommend?

Daughter of the Drow is another story line. If you can't find the next two books in the trilogy, you might want to give this one a pass.

I'd start with Elfshadow, the Silver Shadows, then Evermeet.
Go to Top of Page

The Red Walker
Great Reader

USA
3566 Posts

Posted - 14 Aug 2008 :  15:54:51  Show Profile Send The Red Walker a Private Message
Elaine,

Am I suffering from memory lapse or was did you post a small exerpt from Reclamation in answer to another scroll? I skimmed it , but had to go to work and when I returned to read it in full could not find it?

Thanks!

Go to Top of Page

ElaineCunningham
Forgotten Realms Author

2396 Posts

Posted - 14 Aug 2008 :  16:03:06  Show Profile  Visit ElaineCunningham's Homepage
quote:
Originally posted by The Red Walker

Elaine,

Am I suffering from memory lapse or was did you post a small exerpt from Reclamation in answer to another scroll? I skimmed it , but had to go to work and when I returned to read it in full could not find it?

Thanks!

Tiny excerpt. Very small scene, and one that was already told in the short story "Redemption," albeit from another point of view.

http://forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=10482
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 14 Aug 2008 :  19:07:41  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message
I'd like to point out that one might have luck finding out-of-print books online, such as on nobleknight.com. It seems obvious, but I figured, "why not mention it?"

"Instead of asking why we sleep, it might make sense to ask why we wake. Perchance we live to dream. From that perspective, the sea of troubles we navigate in the workaday world might be the price we pay for admission to another night in the world of dreams."
--Richard Greene (letter to Time)
Go to Top of Page

ElaineCunningham
Forgotten Realms Author

2396 Posts

Posted - 14 Aug 2008 :  19:22:04  Show Profile  Visit ElaineCunningham's Homepage
None of the four books he mentioned are out of print. Hard to find, yes, but not OOP.

A small distinction, granted, and of little practical value.
Go to Top of Page

MerrikCale
Senior Scribe

USA
947 Posts

Posted - 14 Aug 2008 :  20:42:09  Show Profile  Visit MerrikCale's Homepage Send MerrikCale a Private Message
quote:

None of the four books he mentioned are out of print. Hard to find, yes, but not OOP.

Not when buying on amazon.com. If its in print it should be there

When hinges creak in doorless chambers and strange and frightening sounds echo through the halls, whenever candlelights flicker where the air is deathly still, that is the time when ghosts are present, practicing their terror with ghoulish delight.
Go to Top of Page

The Red Walker
Great Reader

USA
3566 Posts

Posted - 14 Aug 2008 :  21:34:22  Show Profile Send The Red Walker a Private Message
quote:

quote:

Elaine,

Thanks!

Tiny excerpt. Very small scene, and one that was already told in the short story "Redemption," albeit from another point of view.

http://forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=10482

Thank you Elaine!!

P.S. It is an absolute crime that we have not had a FR novel by you and you alone for 5 years now. I hope some little corner of 4e FR catches your eye and fires your imagination for something new and unexpected!

edit: fixed quote placements

Edited by - The Red Walker on 15 Aug 2008 01:07:12
Go to Top of Page

ElaineCunningham
Forgotten Realms Author

2396 Posts

Posted - 14 Aug 2008 :  22:19:34  Show Profile  Visit ElaineCunningham's Homepage
quote:
Originally posted by MerrikCale

quote:

Not when buying on amazon.com. If its in print it should be there

True. But amazon.com also sells some OOP books. Second-party sales, mostly.
Go to Top of Page

ElaineCunningham
Forgotten Realms Author

2396 Posts

Posted - 14 Aug 2008 :  22:22:32  Show Profile  Visit ElaineCunningham's Homepage
quote:
P.S. It is an absolute crime that we have not had a FR novel by you and you alone for 5 years now. I hope some little corner of 4e FR catches your eye and fires your imagination for something new and unexpected!

I wouldn't call it a crime, exactly. More along the lines of "been really busy with other things."

As for 4e stories, I'm not ruling out that possibility.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 81 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000