Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Chamber of Sages
 Questions for Elaine Cunningham
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 81

Foxhelm
Senior Scribe

Canada
592 Posts

Posted - 06 Nov 2006 :  20:02:54  Show Profile Send Foxhelm a Private Message
With Stephen and Eric, they make sure that you know that it isn't offical realms lore they are telling. They make sure that you know it's their opinion from their experience writting up FR accessories, adventures and novel.

An example with Elaine would be her telling us where she see Danilo and Arilyn at the current date of 1375. She could do it if she wanted, but one would have to know that this is only her opinion of what they would be doing if she had control. She doesn't know what the company would be planning which could effect them. (An example would be Blackstaff, which took readers by surprise and likely Elaine. That would have changed her answer if she gave it.)

The fact is that Elaine seems not to want to speculate about the future at this time. Perhaps this is due to the major geist change at Wizards for the realms, or perhaps not.

We will just have to wait, see and hope. (Like I am hoping that Wizards might suggest a short story for Danilo's reaction to the events of Blackstaff. Perhaps if they could do a Realms of the Blackstaff. That has a nice ring to it. ^_^)

Ed Greenwood! The Solution... and Cause of all the Realms Problems!
Go to Top of Page

Lord Karsus
Great Reader

USA
3740 Posts

Posted - 06 Nov 2006 :  20:09:58  Show Profile Send Lord Karsus a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Foxhelm
(Like I am hoping that Wizards might suggest a short story for Danilo's reaction to the events of Blackstaff. Perhaps if they could do a Realms of the Blackstaff. That has a nice ring to it. ^_^)

-I was surprised that he wasn't even mentioned in the novel. I'm sure Danillo is taking it hard, though. Khelben was such a driving force in his life.

(A Tri-Partite Arcanist Who Has Forgotten More Than Most Will Ever Know)

Elves of Faerūn
Vol I- The Elves of Faerūn
Vol. III- Spells of the Elves
Vol. VI- Mechanical Compendium
Go to Top of Page

ElaineCunningham
Forgotten Realms Author

2396 Posts

Posted - 06 Nov 2006 :  20:23:05  Show Profile  Visit ElaineCunningham's Homepage
quote:
Originally posted by Foxhelm

An example with Elaine would be her telling us where she see Danilo and Arilyn at the current date of 1375. She could do it if she wanted, but one would have to know that this is only her opinion of what they would be doing if she had control. She doesn't know what the company would be planning which could effect them.

Exactly. And if the company decides to go in a different direction, this puts the speculating author in a potentially awkward position. Online communication being what it is, people tend to see differences in creative direction as differences of opinion, and since "differences of opinion" is a common euphemism for "argument," the next step is to infer emotional reactions where none may, in fact, exist.

quote:
The fact is that Elaine seems not to want to speculate about the future at this time. Perhaps this is due to the major geist change at Wizards for the realms, or perhaps not.

Obviously, Foxhelm isn't adverse to a little speculation!

quote:
Like I am hoping that Wizards might suggest a short story for Danilo's reaction to the events of Blackstaff. Perhaps if they could do a Realms of the Blackstaff.

SPOILERS FOR "BLACKSTAFF" (Written in beige text. Highlight to read response.)

While that could certainly be an interesting collection, I have no intention of writing a story about Danilo's reaction to Khelben's death. Reclamation will be the final story in the Songs& Swords series, and it will end in D.R. 1370, several years before the archmage's demise.

Edited by - ElaineCunningham on 06 Nov 2006 20:24:17
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36793 Posts

Posted - 06 Nov 2006 :  20:50:15  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message
I think the simplest point to be made is that while some authors and designers are comfortable with creating and sharing unofficial lore, not everyone is. We need to respect that Elaine falls into the latter category.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

ElaineCunningham
Forgotten Realms Author

2396 Posts

Posted - 06 Nov 2006 :  22:37:40  Show Profile  Visit ElaineCunningham's Homepage
quote:
Originally posted by Faraer

Steven Schend and Eric Boyd have posted a lot of unofficial lore (especially to REALMS-L). I don't know how they or TSR or Wizards feel about that, but for the readers and DMs I see little confusion and much benefit from their insight. I don't think they're short-sighted.

I wasn't aware they were doing this; as such, my comment on the short-sightedness of publishing unofficial lore was a personal observation, and not aimed at the gentlemen you named or any other person.

It is my opinion that it's not a good idea to post unofficial lore. Chances are, an official change will suggest new directions that might not jive with those in your unofficial stuff. There's also the possibility that I might come up with a better idea than something I published online as unofficial lore, so I'm leery of painting myself into a corner. I like to keep options open for possible future tales, either my own or those of others.

quote:
You don't read as angry, but it doesn't hurt to remind you we respect what you had or have to say about these things.

Thanks for that--very graciously put.

ec

Edited by - ElaineCunningham on 06 Nov 2006 22:40:55
Go to Top of Page

ElaineCunningham
Forgotten Realms Author

2396 Posts

Posted - 06 Nov 2006 :  22:38:41  Show Profile  Visit ElaineCunningham's Homepage
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

I think the simplest point to be made is that while some authors and designers are comfortable with creating and sharing unofficial lore, not everyone is. We need to respect that Elaine falls into the latter category.

Well summarized.
Go to Top of Page

Zimme
Learned Scribe

Denmark
209 Posts

Posted - 07 Nov 2006 :  10:29:06  Show Profile Send Zimme a Private Message
Hello Elaine.
I would like to ask you if there are any books with Elaith Craulnober as the main potagonist? And if there is not, will there be at some point?
Sune Hansen.

P.s
Keep up the good work, this fan eagerly await new publications =)
sorry for the poor spelling. =/

Sometimes I feel like Beshaba is sitting on my back, devoting her entire attention to me!

Rannek.

Go to Top of Page

ElaineCunningham
Forgotten Realms Author

2396 Posts

Posted - 07 Nov 2006 :  14:53:10  Show Profile  Visit ElaineCunningham's Homepage
quote:
Originally posted by Zimme

Hello Elaine.
I would like to ask you if there are any books with Elaith Craulnober as the main potagonist? And if there is not, will there be at some point?

Hi, Zimme. Elaith has been a secondary character in several novels, and the focus of several short stories. There's a full bibliography on his character page on my website. Here's a link:

http://elainecunningham.com/elaith_craulnober.htm

Elaith will be one of the primary characters in the upcoming Songs & Swords book. To the best of my knowledge, there are no other books about Elaith in the planning stages.

Best,
ec
Go to Top of Page

KnightErrantJR
Great Reader

USA
5402 Posts

Posted - 07 Nov 2006 :  14:55:41  Show Profile  Visit KnightErrantJR's Homepage Send KnightErrantJR a Private Message
I must admit I was pleasantly surprised at how prominent Elaith was in City of Splendors, though he wasn't specifically one of the main characters.
Go to Top of Page

ElaineCunningham
Forgotten Realms Author

2396 Posts

Posted - 07 Nov 2006 :  17:33:13  Show Profile  Visit ElaineCunningham's Homepage
quote:
Originally posted by KnightErrantJR

I must admit I was pleasantly surprised at how prominent Elaith was in City of Splendors, though he wasn't specifically one of the main characters.

He'll get even more "on stage" time in Reclamation.
Go to Top of Page

ElaineCunningham
Forgotten Realms Author

2396 Posts

Posted - 07 Nov 2006 :  17:35:58  Show Profile  Visit ElaineCunningham's Homepage
One of the benefits of writing a variety of fiction, creator-owned as well as shared-world, is that you can experiment with different stories and styles. I've posted the first chapter of a historical novel on my LiveJournal blog. It's probably not appropriate to discuss this project on an FR forum, but I just wanted to give a heads-up to folk who might be interested.

http://e-cunningham.livejournal.com

Edited by - ElaineCunningham on 08 Nov 2006 14:14:07
Go to Top of Page

Skeptic
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1273 Posts

Posted - 07 Nov 2006 :  17:50:59  Show Profile Send Skeptic a Private Message
First thanks to have make many things clear in your last messages. Now I think that both the scribes and you will understand better the issues related to unofficial lore questions.

Second, what's the story behind the change of Elaith last name ? (Sorry it was already asked)

Edited by - Skeptic on 07 Nov 2006 17:52:24
Go to Top of Page

ElaineCunningham
Forgotten Realms Author

2396 Posts

Posted - 07 Nov 2006 :  18:07:56  Show Profile  Visit ElaineCunningham's Homepage
quote:
Originally posted by Skeptic

Second, what's the story behind the change of Elaith last name?

I wasn't aware that his name HAD been changed. There have been variant spellings within the lore, but that's the sort of thing that happens from time to time when High Elvish is translated to Common, and from there to English.

Go to Top of Page

Zimme
Learned Scribe

Denmark
209 Posts

Posted - 08 Nov 2006 :  09:34:41  Show Profile Send Zimme a Private Message
Thank you for your answer, it was very helpfull.

Sometimes I feel like Beshaba is sitting on my back, devoting her entire attention to me!

Rannek.

Go to Top of Page

Penknight
Senior Scribe

USA
538 Posts

Posted - 08 Nov 2006 :  10:41:56  Show Profile Send Penknight a Private Message
Hello, Mrs. Cunningham. I would first off like to say that you are my favorite Realms author. You truly seem to breathe life into your characters like no other author that I can think of and that makes reading (or re-reading in my case) your novels a true pleasure.

My question is kinda odd, but I have wondered about this for some time: when you wrote about moonblades in the novels and then they (TSR and Wizards respectfully) put them into creatable items in such books as Elves of Evermeet and Magic of Faerun, did you assist the writers and designers at all? And if not, may I ask what you think about how they are portrayed in the sourcebooks? Thank you for your time, and all my best to you, ma'am.

Telethian Phoenix
Pathfinder Reference Document
Go to Top of Page

ElaineCunningham
Forgotten Realms Author

2396 Posts

Posted - 08 Nov 2006 :  13:48:28  Show Profile  Visit ElaineCunningham's Homepage
quote:
Originally posted by Penknight

My question is kinda odd, but I have wondered about this for some time: when you wrote about moonblades in the novels and then they (TSR and Wizards) put them into creatable items in such books as Elves of Evermeet and Magic of Faerun, did you assist the writers and designers at all? And if not, may I ask what you think about how they are portrayed in the sourcebooks?

Hi, Penknight. Welcome to Candlekeep, and thanks for the kind words.

I've often been surprised by the popularity of moonblades. Gamers wanted to include them in their campaigns, so game designers obliged with game stats and some game designers invented additional lore. In addition to various game products, moonblades have appeared in the Baldur's Gate video game, and some authors have included them in other short stories and novels. I did not assist any of these writers and designers; in fact, I usually found out about their use of moonblades when I read the already-published material. I used to read everything TSR/WotC published, novels and game products, in every setting. These days I have to pick and choose, so sometimes I miss a new bit. On occasion, I've heard about new moonblade lore on the Candlekeep message boards.

The Forgotten Realms is a shared-world setting. All the characters, concepts, and artifacts that writers create are the property of WotC, and as such, WotC can do whatever they like with them. That's the way it works. Some writers and game designers touch base with their colleagues before using one of their creations to make sure the use THEY intend to make of that creation will not conflict with another work-in-progress or work-in-planning. Others do not. They are not obligated to do so. WotC editors evaluate submitted material for, among other things, lore continuity. If they approve it, no other opinion or coordination effort is strictly necessary.

There have been times when this practice has necessitated some unplanned revision on my part. The book I'm currently writing is one such example. Admittedly I WAS a little frustrated when I had to completely redo Arilyn's character arc and come up with a completely different resolution to the moonblade issue, not to mention a significantly different ending to a story that has been in my mind for almost seventeen years. But as my son Sean observed, "Hey, it's their world; they can do anything they want. If you can't deal with that, you should get out." And he's right. There is little sense in getting territorial when you don't, in fact, have any claim on the territory.

My husband is a BBC addict, and from time to time he's had on (usually briefly) a show featuring a troupe of improv comedians. This kind of performance can't work if they start contradicting or second-guessing a direction that one of their partners take. It's always, "Yes, and then..." Sometimes there's a split second when one of the commedian's facial expression suggests that he's thinking something along the lines of, "What the bloody hell do you expect me to do with THAT?" but the moment passes quickly and the show goes on. There's a lot to be said for that approach.

Edited by - ElaineCunningham on 08 Nov 2006 15:27:32
Go to Top of Page

Uzzy
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
618 Posts

Posted - 08 Nov 2006 :  23:57:42  Show Profile  Visit Uzzy's Homepage Send Uzzy a Private Message
Hello again Elaine.

I just finished Thornhold, great book, and really enjoyable.

Anyway, my question is a bit simple. What are the ages of Bronwyn, Danilo and Arilyn? Ive looked around my sourcebooks with no luck, so any help would be great.

Many thanks in advance.
Go to Top of Page

ElaineCunningham
Forgotten Realms Author

2396 Posts

Posted - 09 Nov 2006 :  00:10:30  Show Profile  Visit ElaineCunningham's Homepage
quote:
Originally posted by Uzzy

I just finished Thornhold, great book, and really enjoyable.

Anyway, my question is a bit simple. What are the ages of Bronwyn, Danilo and Arilyn? Ive looked around my sourcebooks with no luck, so any help would be great.

Hi, Uzzy. Glad to hear you enjoyed Thornhold.

When Danilo and Arilyn were introduced in Elfshadow, he was in his early twenties, and she was closing in on forty. Of course, being a half-elf, that would make them near contemporaries as far as appearances go. That book was set in D.R. 1361. The final book, Reclamation, will take place in D.R. 1368-1369. That'd make Dan around 30, and Arilyn will appear to be about 25, in human years.

If that sounds old to some of the younger readers, consider this: That's younger than Jennifer Anniston during her years on "Friends."

Bronwyn is a year or so younger than Dan.

Here's a link of a chronology of my FR stories. It's based on a table once published on the WotC site, and although it needs updating, it'll give an idea of the general passage of time within the various series.

http://elainecunningham.com/chronology_of_fr_stories.htm
Go to Top of Page

Penknight
Senior Scribe

USA
538 Posts

Posted - 09 Nov 2006 :  00:29:17  Show Profile Send Penknight a Private Message
Thank you for taking the time to reply, Mrs. Cunningham. I greatly appreciate it. Best of luck to you on your current projects, and I look forward to reading more stories about Elaith, Arilyn, and Danilo.

Telethian Phoenix
Pathfinder Reference Document
Go to Top of Page

Skeptic
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1273 Posts

Posted - 09 Nov 2006 :  19:13:42  Show Profile Send Skeptic a Private Message

Hi Elaine, I would like to know if you have heard anything about a possible reprint of Counselors and Kings Trilogy ?
Go to Top of Page

ElaineCunningham
Forgotten Realms Author

2396 Posts

Posted - 09 Nov 2006 :  21:23:33  Show Profile  Visit ElaineCunningham's Homepage
quote:

Hi Elaine, I would like to know if you have heard anything about a possible reprint of Counselors and Kings Trilogy ?

There were some rumblings a while back, but I'm not sure what, if anything, came of it. Next time I talk to my editor, I'll ask about this and pass the news (if any) along.
Go to Top of Page

Uzzy
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
618 Posts

Posted - 10 Nov 2006 :  00:15:56  Show Profile  Visit Uzzy's Homepage Send Uzzy a Private Message
Skeptic, you could write into WOTC Customer Service, asking for one. It might not do much, but you can but try. I did it for the Songs and Swords series.
Go to Top of Page

Kaladorm
Master of Realmslore

United Kingdom
1176 Posts

Posted - 13 Nov 2006 :  23:52:27  Show Profile  Visit Kaladorm's Homepage Send Kaladorm a Private Message
Elaine, I had so many comments and questions for you after reading Starlight and Shadows (and the same after Waterdeep) but by the time I got around to writing I have of course forgotten them. Another scroll reminded me of one of my comments and I'd just like to requote it here to say thanks

quote:
The first book of Starlight and Shadows utterly delighted me when reading about the battle sequences. Normally I find battle scenes fairly standard procedure but Fyodor in his beserker rage was so magnificently described by Elaine it thrilled me every time I read the battles. I even reread one of them as it was so good
Go to Top of Page

ElaineCunningham
Forgotten Realms Author

2396 Posts

Posted - 14 Nov 2006 :  12:27:24  Show Profile  Visit ElaineCunningham's Homepage
quote:
Originally posted by ElaineCunningham

quote:

Hi Elaine, I would like to know if you have heard anything about a possible reprint of Counselors and Kings Trilogy?

There were some rumblings a while back, but I'm not sure what, if anything, came of it. Next time I talk to my editor, I'll ask about this and pass the news (if any) along.

I received an email from Phil Athans yesterday. He's pretty sure that C&K is going out of print, but he's going to double-check. If it is OOP, I'll see if there are any warehoused copies still in existance. It might be a good idea to keep some on hand for folks who can't find the books elsewhere.

Go to Top of Page

ElaineCunningham
Forgotten Realms Author

2396 Posts

Posted - 14 Nov 2006 :  12:31:42  Show Profile  Visit ElaineCunningham's Homepage
quote:
Originally posted by Kaladorm

Elaine, I had so many comments and questions for you after reading Starlight and Shadows (and the same after Waterdeep) but by the time I got around to writing I have of course forgotten them. Another scroll reminded me of one of my comments and I'd just like to requote it here to say thanks.

Hi, Kaladorm. Thanks--I'm glad you enjoyed Liriel's tale. [:)
Go to Top of Page

ElaineCunningham
Forgotten Realms Author

2396 Posts

Posted - 14 Nov 2006 :  21:51:46  Show Profile  Visit ElaineCunningham's Homepage
I got a definitive answer this afternoon regarding the Counselors & Kings trilogy, and it is indeed going out of print. Here's a link to the page on the WotC web site that lists all OOP books:

http://ww2.wizards.com/books/Wizards/default.aspx?doc=main_outofprint
Go to Top of Page

Gellion
Learned Scribe

140 Posts

Posted - 15 Nov 2006 :  01:53:07  Show Profile  Visit Gellion's Homepage Send Gellion a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by ElaineCunningham

I got a definitive answer this afternoon regarding the Counselors & Kings trilogy, and it is indeed going out of print. Here's a link to the page on the WotC web site that lists all OOP books:

http://ww2.wizards.com/books/Wizards/default.aspx?doc=main_outofprint

OH NOES!!!!!!*Puts paper bag with face drawn on it on his head and lights it on fire*

"Paladine, you see the evil that surrounds me! You have been witness to the calamities that have been the scourge of Krynn... You must see now that this doctrine of balance will not work! I can sweep evil from this land. Destroy the ogre races. Bring the wayward humans into line! Find new homelands far away for the dwarves and the kender and the gnomes, those races not of your creation... I demand that you give me, too, the power to drive away the shadows of evil that darken the land!"- THE REIGN OF ISTAR, Tales IV
Go to Top of Page

RodOdom
Senior Scribe

USA
509 Posts

Posted - 15 Nov 2006 :  03:57:48  Show Profile  Visit RodOdom's Homepage Send RodOdom a Private Message
Two months ago I looked all over town for The Floodgate. I resorted to e-bay, paying twice the cover price for what turned out to be a blackened, library-retired copy. Then later at a Half-Price books I find a near perfect copy. Argh !
Go to Top of Page

Lord Karsus
Great Reader

USA
3740 Posts

Posted - 15 Nov 2006 :  05:01:24  Show Profile Send Lord Karsus a Private Message
-Elaine, is Reclamation going to be your final FR tale, or just your final tale concerning Arilyn, Danillo, Elaith and Co.?

(A Tri-Partite Arcanist Who Has Forgotten More Than Most Will Ever Know)

Elves of Faerūn
Vol I- The Elves of Faerūn
Vol. III- Spells of the Elves
Vol. VI- Mechanical Compendium

Edited by - Lord Karsus on 15 Nov 2006 05:02:27
Go to Top of Page

ElaineCunningham
Forgotten Realms Author

2396 Posts

Posted - 15 Nov 2006 :  06:32:00  Show Profile  Visit ElaineCunningham's Homepage
quote:
Originally posted by Dagnirion

-Elaine, is Reclamation going to be your final FR tale, or just your final tale concerning Arilyn, Danillo, Elaith and Co.?

It will conclude the Songs & Swords series. That's as far as my FR plans go at this point in time, but I like to keep my options open.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 81 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000