Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Chamber of Sages
 Questions for Elaine Cunningham
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 81

Lord Karsus
Great Reader

USA
3740 Posts

Posted - 15 Nov 2006 :  07:11:59  Show Profile Send Lord Karsus a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by ElaineCunningham
It will conclude the Songs & Swords series. That's as far as my FR plans go at this point in time, but I like to keep my options open.

-That's good to hear. Things just wouldn't be the same without you...

(A Tri-Partite Arcanist Who Has Forgotten More Than Most Will Ever Know)

Elves of Faerūn
Vol I- The Elves of Faerūn
Vol. III- Spells of the Elves
Vol. VI- Mechanical Compendium
Go to Top of Page

Aglaranna
Learned Scribe

166 Posts

Posted - 16 Nov 2006 :  00:02:25  Show Profile  Visit Aglaranna's Homepage Send Aglaranna a Private Message
Hm, I can't remember if I actually asked this or not yet, and since I couldn't find a post made by me, I'm asking this anyway: There's an Elaine Cunningham who writes children's "Beka" books. I picked up one awhile ago and vaguely recognized the name. (I wasn't well acquainted with the various Realms authors at the time.) Considering that it was good writing for a children's book, I wondered if it was yours, or is there more than one Elaine Cunningham?

"You can choose a ready guide
In some celestial voice
If you choose not to decide
You still have made a choice

You can choose from phantom fears
And kindness that can kill
I will choose the path that's clear
I will choose freewill." -'Freewill' by Rush
Go to Top of Page

ElaineCunningham
Forgotten Realms Author

2396 Posts

Posted - 16 Nov 2006 :  00:09:23  Show Profile  Visit ElaineCunningham's Homepage
quote:
Originally posted by Aglaranna

Hm, I can't remember if I actually asked this or not yet, and since I couldn't find a post made by me, I'm asking this anyway: There's an Elaine Cunningham who writes children's "Beka" books. I picked up one awhile ago and vaguely recognized the name. (I wasn't well acquainted with the various Realms authors at the time.) Considering that it was good writing for a children's book, I wondered if it was yours, or is there more than one Elaine Cunningham?

I know of at least two other writers by this name. The "Beka" books are not my work.
Go to Top of Page

Aglaranna
Learned Scribe

166 Posts

Posted - 16 Nov 2006 :  23:31:57  Show Profile  Visit Aglaranna's Homepage Send Aglaranna a Private Message
Well then, thanks. I'll try to remember whether or not I've asked this question in the future. I have a terrible memory.

In some celestial voice

Go to Top of Page

turox
Learned Scribe

USA
145 Posts

Posted - 28 Nov 2006 :  19:01:18  Show Profile  Visit turox's Homepage Send turox a Private Message
Mrs. Cunningham, I sent you an email through the site as I was trying to keep this as quiet as possible. But as the only way I could send a note to Mr. Greenwood was by posting right on the Questions of Ed Greenwood I thought I would post here as well to let everyone that wants to see for their amusment.

To the most esteemed Mrs. Cunningham and Mr. Greenwood, I hope this note finds you in excellent health and spirits. I am writing you to show my appreciation of the both of you penning the City of Splendors Novel. I just finished it up last night and I do have to say that it has been a long time since reading a book brought a tear to my eye. Thank you so much for penning such a wonderful novel! I look forward to reading about more adventures the two of you have penned. Also I loved the dedication to candlekeep.com! It made me stand a little taller in the store reading that. This Thanksgiving Day for me was to be thankful I found such a wonderful site to learn more about my favorite setting and after ALOT more reading a place where I will be able to help pass on info to others with similar interest.

Turox Antas Dragonslayer -
"People will believe anything they want to believe, or fear to believe."
Wizard's First Rule: Chapter 36, Page #397, US Hard Cover (revealed by Zeddicus Zu'l Zorander).
Explanation by Zeddicus Zu'l Zorander: "People are stupid; given proper motivation, almost anyone will believe almost anything. Because people are stupid, they will believe a lie because they want to believe it's true, or because they are afraid it might be true. People’s heads are full of knowledge, facts, and beliefs, and most of it is false, yet they think it all true. People are stupid; they can only rarely tell the difference between a lie and the truth, and yet they are confident they can, and so are all the easier to fool."
Go to Top of Page

Kaladorm
Master of Realmslore

United Kingdom
1176 Posts

Posted - 28 Nov 2006 :  19:23:58  Show Profile  Visit Kaladorm's Homepage Send Kaladorm a Private Message
Oh now I remember one of the comments I wanted to make about Waterdeep. I forget the characters name exactly (I think Starrager or similar?) but about his new ladyfriend that ended up accompanying the group for a while.

Despite not knowing the character at all, I found it quite sad when she was killed. Very well written. Was this character created for the purposes of the CoS story, or does she have any other adventures/mentions?

Thanks
Go to Top of Page

ElaineCunningham
Forgotten Realms Author

2396 Posts

Posted - 28 Nov 2006 :  20:28:22  Show Profile  Visit ElaineCunningham's Homepage
quote:
Originally posted by turox

Mrs. Cunningham, I sent you an email through the site as I was trying to keep this as quiet as possible. But as the only way I could send a note to Mr. Greenwood was by posting right on the Questions of Ed Greenwood I thought I would post here as well to let everyone that wants to see for their amusment.

To the most esteemed Mrs. Cunningham and Mr. Greenwood, I hope this note finds you in excellent health and spirits. I am writing you to show my appreciation of the both of you penning the City of Splendors Novel. I just finished it up last night and I do have to say that it has been a long time since reading a book brought a tear to my eye. Thank you so much for penning such a wonderful novel! I look forward to reading about more adventures the two of you have penned. Also I loved the dedication to candlekeep.com! It made me stand a little taller in the store reading that. This Thanksgiving Day for me was to be thankful I found such a wonderful site to learn more about my favorite setting and after ALOT more reading a place where I will be able to help pass on info to others with similar interest.

Thanks for the kind words. I'm glad to hear you enjoyed the book.
Go to Top of Page

ElaineCunningham
Forgotten Realms Author

2396 Posts

Posted - 28 Nov 2006 :  20:33:06  Show Profile  Visit ElaineCunningham's Homepage
quote:
Originally posted by Kaladorm

Oh now I remember one of the comments I wanted to make about Waterdeep. I forget the characters name exactly (I think Starrager or similar?) but about his new ladyfriend that ended up accompanying the group for a while.

Despite not knowing the character at all, I found it quite sad when she was killed. Very well written. Was this character created for the purposes of the CoS story, or does she have any other adventures/mentions?

Starragar's lady friend, Pendelope, was Ed's creation. (But then, you probably figured that out, given her personality, wardrobe, and lack of undergarments... ) I met her when the rest of the gang did, and I really don't know whether or not Ed has detailed her previous adventures.
Go to Top of Page

Aglaranna
Learned Scribe

166 Posts

Posted - 28 Nov 2006 :  22:23:04  Show Profile  Visit Aglaranna's Homepage Send Aglaranna a Private Message
I just remembered something I was going to say if I ever met you, O Great Lady! *Ahem* Um, what was it, again? Oh, right...I always enjoy reading the dedications of your books. That's one of my favorite parts! Of course, I'm not the most mentally stable person in Candlekeep, so this might not be very relevent...Sorry to interrupt, O High One.

In some celestial voice

Go to Top of Page

Kaladorm
Master of Realmslore

United Kingdom
1176 Posts

Posted - 28 Nov 2006 :  22:24:41  Show Profile  Visit Kaladorm's Homepage Send Kaladorm a Private Message
quote:
Starragar's lady friend, Pendelope, was Ed's creation. (But then, you probably figured that out, given her personality, wardrobe, and lack of undergarments...

It was a bit of a give away yes hehe. It's funny, I definitely noticed which bits were very 'Ed' and other bits that clearly had your mark on them.

Edited by - Kaladorm on 28 Nov 2006 22:24:57
Go to Top of Page

Kaladorm
Master of Realmslore

United Kingdom
1176 Posts

Posted - 28 Nov 2006 :  22:29:58  Show Profile  Visit Kaladorm's Homepage Send Kaladorm a Private Message
Oh and whilst not strictly Realmsian, I noticed that you've worked on an Everquest novel. I played both EQ1 and EQ2 (like a number of scribes here I imagine) and I'm curious, is your novel set in the old word Everquest, i.e. before the shattering of Luclin.
I noticed reference to Castle Mistmoore, which I remember was in EQ1 just off from one of the forests, but in EQ2 it was quite a different place.
Go to Top of Page

ElaineCunningham
Forgotten Realms Author

2396 Posts

Posted - 29 Nov 2006 :  00:34:38  Show Profile  Visit ElaineCunningham's Homepage
quote:
Originally posted by Kaladorm

Oh and whilst not strictly Realmsian, I noticed that you've worked on an Everquest novel. I played both EQ1 and EQ2 (like a number of scribes here I imagine) and I'm curious, is your novel set in the old word Everquest, i.e. before the shattering of Luclin.
I noticed reference to Castle Mistmoore, which I remember was in EQ1 just off from one of the forests, but in EQ2 it was quite a different place.

My EverQuest novel, The Blood Red Harp, could be viewed as part of either version of EQ. There is no reference made to Luclin, shattered or otherwise, and Castle Mistmoore is mentioned but not visited.
Go to Top of Page

ElaineCunningham
Forgotten Realms Author

2396 Posts

Posted - 30 Nov 2006 :  18:52:32  Show Profile  Visit ElaineCunningham's Homepage
Scholars, scribes, and gentle readers,

I think I raised this question before in some other thread, so please pardon the repetition. Provided I can get approval from the folks at WotC, I'd like to promote the upcoming "best of ec" anthology with a new short story, available for free download. Is there a particular character you'd like to see revisited, or a particular story told?

Although many of the people here are hardcore FR fans who enjoy discussing minute details of Realmslore, it would make more sense in this particular circumstance to offer a story which does not require previous knowlege--a tale that's complete in and of itself. With this in mind, I should probably steer clear of moonblades. Any story dealing with Prince Lamruil and the Tree of Souls would be too long for this purpose. Oh, and I can't write about other people's characters. No Drizzt/Liriel stories, no tales about Tzigone and Elminster conning nubile Kara Tur geishas into performing butt-neckid mud wrestling in a gladatorial arena, 20 copper pieces for general admission. Other than that, I'm open to suggestion.

Edited by - ElaineCunningham on 30 Nov 2006 18:53:42
Go to Top of Page

Uzzy
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
618 Posts

Posted - 30 Nov 2006 :  19:09:06  Show Profile  Visit Uzzy's Homepage Send Uzzy a Private Message
Bronwyn and Alice showing Bronwyn's niece, Cara Doon around Waterdeep. Seeing Waterdeep through the eyes of a rather curious child would be interesting, and be a good introductory story to your work, seeing as lots of it is set in Waterdeep.

Edited by - Uzzy on 30 Nov 2006 22:55:23
Go to Top of Page

Alediran
Acolyte

Argentina
36 Posts

Posted - 30 Nov 2006 :  19:18:23  Show Profile  Visit Alediran's Homepage Send Alediran a Private Message
That one is good Uzzy.

Something I've always wanted to read was about an elf genasi (air is my favourite ^^) or Avariels, since one of the characters in the campaign I master is an Avariel I would love to know more about them. I'm completely positive that it needs to be something that we don't see too much. The air elf genasi could be an undercover agent in Dambrath, looking for a way to start weakening the government.

Alediran of House Tir'ent from Evermeet, the most knowledgeable elven family about Faerūn.

- Member of the Elven Netbook proyect

Edited by - Alediran on 30 Nov 2006 19:21:56
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 30 Nov 2006 :  19:26:55  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message
Write a story about the little dwarven bard who drew political cartoons from Elfsong.

"Instead of asking why we sleep, it might make sense to ask why we wake. Perchance we live to dream. From that perspective, the sea of troubles we navigate in the workaday world might be the price we pay for admission to another night in the world of dreams."
--Richard Greene (letter to Time)
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36793 Posts

Posted - 30 Nov 2006 :  19:34:43  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message
quote:

no tales about Tzigone and Elminster conning nubile Kara Tur geishas into performing butt-neckid mud wrestling in a gladatorial arena, 20 copper pieces for general admission.

Well, there goes my first request...

You actually asked this question several pages back, so I'll just repeat my earlier response.

quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

I can never get enough of Arilyn, Danilo, and Elaith!

Or...

As we've discussed before, a lot of Amlaruil and Zaor's children are, as far as the wider Realms is concerned, missing in action. We only know the final fates for a few of them, though you've said that Amlaruil knows where her kids are. I would love to read about one or more of those "lost" royal kids.

Oh, and it's almost a given that people want to know more about Elaith and Amnestria's son.

And I should like to say that I really appreciate you taking the time and effort to ask us. It's nice to feel respected by favorite authors.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36793 Posts

Posted - 30 Nov 2006 :  19:36:42  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Rinonalyrna Fathomlin

Write a story about the little dwarven bard who drew political cartoons from Elfsong.

Morgala the Mirthful. Good call.

Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 30 Nov 2006 :  20:01:23  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message
Since Wooly repeated his request, I shall do so again: Elaith's apprentice in Lost Empires. I know, you said you were going to check up who that NPC was. :)

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium
Go to Top of Page

TomCosta
Forgotten Realms Designer

USA
969 Posts

Posted - 30 Nov 2006 :  20:41:02  Show Profile Send TomCosta a Private Message
I wouldn't mind seeing a short story that discussed the aftermath of the Halruaa novels on the Jordain or perhaps a story on the lythari and their various portals.
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31716 Posts

Posted - 01 Dec 2006 :  00:24:05  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message
quote:

quote:

Something may be closer than you think.

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31716 Posts

Posted - 01 Dec 2006 :  00:24:51  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message
Like Wooly, I'll repeat my earlier request as well...

quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

And like Wooly, I'm also eager to learn more about Elaith and Amnestria's son, though, perhaps not as eager to know "everything." Part of Elaith's charm is the mystery that surrounds a great many things in his past.

I'll echo the request for more on the "lost" royal children though... they seem to garner a great deal of attention on FR message boards, though there's still very little written about their activities.

Go to Top of Page

Kazzaroth
Learned Scribe

Finland
104 Posts

Posted - 01 Dec 2006 :  00:26:23  Show Profile  Visit Kazzaroth's Homepage Send Kazzaroth a Private Message
Would be intrested to novel detailing Elaith Craulnober or his daughter (not neccesary as adult, perhaps teenager or younger). Also I am intrested too hear more about Avariels and their culture or novel detailing about Browyn's brother's past (or near future after) before the events of 'Family Secret' (hopefully gived correct title of the book).

Also book detailing about average comnoner-turned-to-be-adventurer can be intresting new view to Waterdeep or some other specific part of the realms.
Go to Top of Page

ElaineCunningham
Forgotten Realms Author

2396 Posts

Posted - 01 Dec 2006 :  00:37:12  Show Profile  Visit ElaineCunningham's Homepage
quote:
Originally posted by Kazzaroth

Would be intrested to novel detailing Elaith Craulnober or his daughter (not neccesary as adult, perhaps teenager or younger). Also I am intrested too hear more about Avariels and their culture or novel detailing about Browyn's brother's past (or near future after) before the events of 'Family Secret' (hopefully gived correct title of the book).

Also book detailing about average comnoner-turned-to-be-adventurer can be intresting new view to Waterdeep or some other specific part of the realms.

Kazzaroth, I've heard before that THORNHOLD's Finnish title was "Family Secret." Not even close to the original, but I rather like it.

I'm not contemplating new novels at present--just topics for a short story, around 5000-7500 words. A story featuring either avarial or Dag Zoreth (Bronwyn's brother) would work in this format.
Go to Top of Page

ElaineCunningham
Forgotten Realms Author

2396 Posts

Posted - 01 Dec 2006 :  00:39:24  Show Profile  Visit ElaineCunningham's Homepage
quote:
Originally posted by Uzzy

Bronwyn and Alice showing Bronwyn's niece, Cara Doon around Waterdeep. Seeing Waterdeep through the eyes of a rather curious child would be interesting, and be a good introductory story to your work, seeing as lots of it is set in Waterdeep.

I actually wrote a couple of scenes that fit that description for THORNHOLD, but they were ended up on the cutting room floor. It'd be interesting to see how children of various classes experience Waterdeep.
Go to Top of Page

ElaineCunningham
Forgotten Realms Author

2396 Posts

Posted - 01 Dec 2006 :  00:41:43  Show Profile  Visit ElaineCunningham's Homepage
quote:

quote:

quote:

Interesting. If you know something I don't know, Sage, would you drop me a PM or email? It's always good to get a heads-up if someone's including one of "my" characters in a story or game product.
Go to Top of Page

ElaineCunningham
Forgotten Realms Author

2396 Posts

Posted - 01 Dec 2006 :  00:50:46  Show Profile  Visit ElaineCunningham's Homepage
Thanks for the suggestions so far. I hear you on the "lost children" of Evermeet, and I'm on it. That issue will be addressed in the upcoming Songs & Swords book.

For reasons I can't get into, I'm going to stay away from Elaith and his son, the hidden prince. Sorry--I'd love to tell that tale, but that isn't in the cards.

I like the idea of revisiting Halruaa, but the Counselors & Kings books have gone out of print and are becoming increasingly difficult to find. While my primary marketing goal with this new story will be to promote the anthology, it would probably make more sense to deal with characters and/or settings that tie to available backlist books.

New reader: "I kinda like these characters. Where can I read more about them?"
Me: "Uh.... you CAN'T. Sorry about that..."
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31716 Posts

Posted - 01 Dec 2006 :  01:26:52  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message
quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Interesting. If you know something I don't know, Sage, would you drop me a PM or email? It's always good to get a heads-up if someone's including one of "my" characters in a story or game product.

I know nothing specific, though I will explain further in my email.

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36793 Posts

Posted - 01 Dec 2006 :  11:25:48  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message
quote:

Thanks for the suggestions so far. I hear you on the "lost children" of Evermeet, and I'm on it. That issue will be addressed in the upcoming Songs & Swords book.

I'm glad to hear it!

Go to Top of Page

Kazzaroth
Learned Scribe

Finland
104 Posts

Posted - 01 Dec 2006 :  11:56:15  Show Profile  Visit Kazzaroth's Homepage Send Kazzaroth a Private Message
quote:
Kazzaroth, I've heard before that THORNHOLD's Finnish title was "Family Secret." Not even close to the original, but I rather like it.

Hehe, nice that you like it :). It kinda still fits as title to the novel which details quite bit of Browyn's family past. Anycase it seems Finnish editors like re-invent often new titles to the books just confuse those finnish folk who go discuss whit writers in these boards :P.

Anycase enlightening short story about avariels or Dag Zoreth would be in my wish list :). Also it would be intresting insight also to Cyric church life methinks (I personally do not know novels who specifically detail Cyric church and it's operations trough eye of worshipper as main topic).

It was rather (intrestingly) shocking to notice that the small girl (Dag's daughter) was raised by Cyric worshipping farmer who was near defenceless against the knight (so worshippers of Cyric all are not some mass murdering maniacs or lunatics or clerics).
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 81 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000