Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Chamber of Sages
 Questions for Elaine Cunningham
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 81

The Red Walker
Great Reader

USA
3566 Posts

Posted - 21 Oct 2006 :  23:57:57  Show Profile Send The Red Walker a Private Message
Welcome back Elaine! It is a much richer Realms when you are active here.

I am just glad to have anything Realms related from Elaine!! I will glady read anything she wishes to write, but since she said " at least one more story for a free web download",

I will hold out hope for at least two!!

A little nonsense now and then, relished by the wisest men - Willy Wonka

"We need men who can dream of things that never were." -

John F. Kennedy, speech in Dublin, Ireland, June 28, 1963
Go to Top of Page

Reefy
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
892 Posts

Posted - 22 Oct 2006 :  01:01:48  Show Profile  Visit Reefy's Homepage Send Reefy a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:
Originally posted by ElaineCunningham

I'm hoping to advertise the book with two or three new short stories scattered here and there. If you have a particular character, event, or location you'd like to see revisited in a short story, stop by my Q&A thread with suggestions. I'll be writing a story about Elaith to submit to Dragon Magazine, but I'd also like to do at least one more story as a free web download.

I can never get enough of Arilyn, Danilo, and Elaith!

Me neither. Though I'd also like to see what going on with Isabeau or Bronwyn currently.

Life is either daring adventure or nothing.
Go to Top of Page

ElaineCunningham
Forgotten Realms Author

2396 Posts

Posted - 23 Oct 2006 :  13:44:22  Show Profile  Visit ElaineCunningham's Homepage
Isabeau's story will be continued in the upcoming S&S book. Bronwyn might be a good prospect for a stand-alone story, possibly an artifact aquisition caper, a la Indiana Jones/Lara Cross.
Go to Top of Page

Mace Hammerhand
Great Reader

Germany
2296 Posts

Posted - 23 Oct 2006 :  16:27:48  Show Profile  Visit Mace Hammerhand's Homepage Send Mace Hammerhand a Private Message
quote:

Isabeau's story will be continued in the upcoming S&S book. Bronwyn might be a good prospect for a stand-alone story, possibly an artifact aquisition caper, a la Indiana Jones/Lara Cross.

Lara Croft...

But hell yeah! An Indy-like caper with Bronwyn would be awesome!

Mace's not so gentle gamer's journal My rants were harmless compared to this, beware!
Go to Top of Page

Lord Karsus
Great Reader

USA
3740 Posts

Posted - 23 Oct 2006 :  23:19:35  Show Profile Send Lord Karsus a Private Message
-At first I didn't like Bronwyn, but she kinda grew on me. It'd be cool to see her in another novel, or short story, or something along those lines. Anyway, Elaine, I can't wait for Reclamation...I do have a suggestion though...Actually, I'm just going to be begging, but close enough. Anyway, could you maybe throw in a couple more Elven words/phrases here and there, and include translations somewhere along the way? It sure would be nice...:)

(A Tri-Partite Arcanist Who Has Forgotten More Than Most Will Ever Know)

Elves of Faerūn
Vol I- The Elves of Faerūn
Vol. III- Spells of the Elves
Vol. VI- Mechanical Compendium
Go to Top of Page

Kajehase
Great Reader

Sweden
2104 Posts

Posted - 25 Oct 2006 :  12:48:52  Show Profile Send Kajehase a Private Message
This question might seem a bit odd, but when planning your own settng, have you considered doing what Megan Lindholm/Robin Hobb did (at least partly as an attempt to lift hersef out of the midlist) and use a different name for those books?

(Oh, and good on ya for mixing up the name of that endangered species-killing maniac).

There is a rumour going around that I have found god. I think is unlikely because I have enough difficulty finding my keys, and there is empirical evidence that they exist.
Terry Pratchett
Go to Top of Page

ElaineCunningham
Forgotten Realms Author

2396 Posts

Posted - 25 Oct 2006 :  13:07:24  Show Profile  Visit ElaineCunningham's Homepage
quote:
Originally posted by Kajehase

This question might seem a bit odd, but when planning your own settng, have you considered doing what Megan Lindholm/Robin Hobb did (at least partly as an attempt to lift hersef out of the midlist) and use a different name for those books?

I've never used a pen name, but I'm considering doing so for my historical novels. I prefer to use my real name; the problem is, "Elaine Cunningham," the name I assumed when I married a Scots-Irish Canadian, sounds better for historical fiction set in Scotland than my birth name, which is Polish. If you write very different kinds of fiction, I think a name change can be useful in signifying "brands." Nora Roberts does this with her futeristic police procedural series. Everyone knows that J.D. Robb is Nora Roberts (both of which are pen names), but people ALSO know that they're getting something slightly different. Some female writers who write fantasy and romance go with different names. These days, however, with so much crossover between genres, it seems less necessary to do so.

quote:
(Oh, and good on ya for mixing up the name of that endangered species-killing maniac).

Maybe it's because I'm very very tired from doing household renovations (involving hammers, chisles, and crowbars, many many ceramic tiles, and fifty-pound bags of cement mortars that you're supposed to mix by hand in a five-gallon pail "until fluffy." FLUFFY! What kind of beast can beat fifty pounds of freaking CEMENT to a light, fluffy texture?), but I couldn't place the reference to an "endangered species-killing maniac." Enlightenment?

Sorry for the parenthetical rant, btw. I desperately need Motrin and coffee. And perhaps a professional contractor.

Edited by - ElaineCunningham on 25 Oct 2006 13:12:21
Go to Top of Page

Uzzy
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
618 Posts

Posted - 25 Oct 2006 :  13:37:35  Show Profile  Visit Uzzy's Homepage Send Uzzy a Private Message
Hi Elaine.

Now, I love playing Bards. However, I have trouble creating my own songs for the setting. After reading your books (and the lovely songs in them) I was wondering if you had any advice on creating your own songs for the setting?

Thanks in advance for any help.
Go to Top of Page

Kajehase
Great Reader

Sweden
2104 Posts

Posted - 25 Oct 2006 :  13:58:59  Show Profile Send Kajehase a Private Message
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by Kajehase

Maybe it's because I'm very very tired from doing household renovations (involving hammers, chisles, and crowbars, many many ceramic tiles, and fifty-pound bags of cement mortars that you're supposed to mix by hand in a five-gallon pail "until fluffy." FLUFFY! What kind of beast can beat fifty pounds of freaking CEMENT to a light, fluffy texture?), but I couldn't place the reference to an "endangered species-killing maniac." Enlightenment?

Sorry for the parenthetical rant, btw. I desperately need Motrin and coffee. And perhaps a professional contractor.

I'm probably strange, but I like paranthetical rants (don't get me started on Swedish road-workers taking two of the only three months it's easy to lay asphalt in this climate off, though). And the reference to the e.s.k.m. is based on a friend of mine pretending to be riled up about the amount of tigers and the like that is supposedly killed in the Tomb Raider games (never played on myself, so boo me for dissing them).

There is a rumour going around that I have found god. I think is unlikely because I have enough difficulty finding my keys, and there is empirical evidence that they exist.
Terry Pratchett
Go to Top of Page

Delzounblood
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
578 Posts

Posted - 25 Oct 2006 :  14:37:22  Show Profile Send Delzounblood a Private Message
Elaine,

Just a quick question.

Where did the inspiration for Jill the Dwarf with his mothers name in Silver Shadows come from ?

Is he one of your own Char or taken from another player, he seems to be a bit of a paradox in dwarf terms as he not only "cares" about other people being subject to slavery but he also befriends an elf (Kendal Leafblower) and further more he has taken a shine to Ferret a Wood Elf no less!!

Any dwarf who can spend a fist full o'silvers at the Foaming Sands is a Legend in his own Lunchtime.

Don't get me wrong I'm very pro dwarf, stereotypes an all though I am trying to expand on the Ale swillin', Orc bashing Battle Tank everyone views dwarves.

keep up the good work!

I'm Back!

Edited by - Delzounblood on 25 Oct 2006 14:41:30
Go to Top of Page

Kalin Agrivar
Senior Scribe

Canada
956 Posts

Posted - 25 Oct 2006 :  14:43:20  Show Profile  Visit Kalin Agrivar's Homepage Send Kalin Agrivar a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Delzounblood

Elaine,

Just a quick question.

Where did the inspiration for Jill the Dwarf with his mothers name in Silver Shadows come from ?

I'm having a pre-senior's moment...isn't Jill a female dwarf?

Kalin Xorell El'Agrivar

- High Mage of the Arcane Assembly
- Lore Keeper of the Vault of Ancestors
- 3rd Son of the Lord of the Stand
Go to Top of Page

Delzounblood
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
578 Posts

Posted - 25 Oct 2006 :  14:48:45  Show Profile Send Delzounblood a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Kalin Agrivar

quote:

Elaine,

Just a quick question.

I'm having a pre-senior's moment...isn't Jill a female dwarf?

No he was given this name as it was handed down through the family male and female alike

HE was def a male dwarf!!!

I'm Back!
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36793 Posts

Posted - 25 Oct 2006 :  15:41:55  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message
Jill was definitely a male. And here's a bit of prior commentary on him:

quote:

quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

Elaine, a quick question... I just picked up a Johnny Cash CD. One of the tunes on there was "A Boy Named Sue". I was wondering: Does this song have anything to do with how Jill the dwarf got his name?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Funny you should ask that today, as just yesterday I attended a wedding reception at which this particular ballad was played. The DJ's play list was, to say the least, ecclectic.

But yes, this song did inspire, if I may use the term loosely, the character Jill. My father was a big country and western fan--traditional, not pop crossover--and I grew up with Johnny Cash, Tennessee Ernie Ford, Chet Atkins, and the rest.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!

Edited by - Wooly Rupert on 25 Oct 2006 15:42:13
Go to Top of Page

Delzounblood
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
578 Posts

Posted - 25 Oct 2006 :  15:43:24  Show Profile Send Delzounblood a Private Message
Thanks Wooly

I'm Back!
Go to Top of Page

Purple Dragon Knight
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1796 Posts

Posted - 26 Oct 2006 :  03:25:43  Show Profile Send Purple Dragon Knight a Private Message
quote:
Maybe it's because I'm very very tired from doing household renovations (involving hammers, chisles, and crowbars, many many ceramic tiles, and fifty-pound bags of cement mortars that you're supposed to mix by hand in a five-gallon pail "until fluffy." FLUFFY! What kind of beast can beat fifty pounds of freaking CEMENT to a light, fluffy texture?)

LOL! some Large Giant with many levels in War Hulk(tm)? ha ha ha!
Read more about the War Hulk(tm) in the Miniatures Handbook(tm), another fun WotC(tm) product, brought to you by the Battlesystem(tm) melancholics anonymous!
I hear ya sister! home owner since April 2005... and not loving it! :P (so many chores, but I had to somehow get into that mad real estate grab! my house has appreciated $100K in 14 months alone! muhahahahah! --> a word to potential home owners out there: development of high-rise/high-density residences are VERY good for your single-detached neighbourhood! muhahahahah!)

quote:

Well, if you are, don't necessarily hire someone from the "Holmes on Homes" show... as I found out, that's not necessarily a proof of competence... <rushes to plug yet another roof leak... no wait, it's coming from somewhere in the basement now... sigh...>
Go to Top of Page

ElaineCunningham
Forgotten Realms Author

2396 Posts

Posted - 26 Oct 2006 :  12:21:52  Show Profile  Visit ElaineCunningham's Homepage
quote:
Originally posted by Uzzy

Now, I love playing Bards. However, I have trouble creating my own songs for the setting. After reading your books (and the lovely songs in them) I was wondering if you had any advice on creating your own songs for the setting?

Hi, Uzzy.

It seems to me that music is so integral to the culture that you need to answer a bunch of questions before you can start humming the first notes of a melody.

I think the first and most important thing is to have an idea in mind of what sort of music you envision in your setting. If it's a pseudo-medieval setting, such as the Realms, it's probably a good idea to get familiar with early music (Renaissance and medieval) as well as roots/folk music. You might find a more approachable and familiar sound in the plethora of medieval/rock bands out there--Blackmore Nights, Dead Can Dance, Corvas, and so on. Also familiarize yourself with ballads, both sung and spoken. Then develop a notion of what sort of music your bard might like, and what sort of music is heard/played in the particular culture in which he finds himself, and in the various venues within that culture; for example, what sort of music might he hear in a rowdy tavern, an elegant party, a nobleman's castle. Styles would vary from place to place, as well as with the audience. I would imagine that the music played in Silverymoon would be much different than than played in Calimshan, that dwarves and elves and drow would have different musical preferences.

I know that's very general, but it's difficult to describe music with words rather than sounds. Also, I suspect we have rather different musical backgrounds. I started piano lessons at age seven, have studied several other instruments, and pursued an undergraduate degree in music with emphasis in vocal and choral music. The degree included five semesters of music history and eight semesters of music theory and composition, and it's difficult to condense all of that down into a message board post. Not knowing what sort of music you listen to makes the question even more difficult to answer, because the sounds I have in mind might be quite different from your preferred musical notions.

For quite a while, I had a particular interest in medieval and Renaissance music. I've sung in Renaissance ensembles, and studied lute for about a year. Over the past several years I've become interested in folk and roots music, particularly Celtic music, and have come to spend most of the time I can allot to music playing the harp. I also attend "world music" concerts with artists playing traditional instruments, such as the Indian sitar, and listen to a rather wide variety. All of this informs my idea of what the songs in my books sound like.

I also am fond of silly ballads, such as you might hear at Renaissance faires. Check out the website of the Brogdignagian Bards (not sure I spelled that right, but Google is forgiving to the dyslexic...) They have a lot of fun, silly ballads, both traditional and newly composed, that might give you some inspiration for tavern tunes, as well as songs your bard might sing when he stops at a village or is given hospitality on the road at a farmhouse or cottage--or even a nobleman's house, for that matter, once the ale starts flowing and people are in the mood to laugh.

Go to Top of Page

ElaineCunningham
Forgotten Realms Author

2396 Posts

Posted - 26 Oct 2006 :  12:37:23  Show Profile  Visit ElaineCunningham's Homepage
quote:

Is he (Jill) one of your own Char or taken from another player, he seems to be a bit of a paradox in dwarf terms as he not only "cares" about other people being subject to slavery but he also befriends an elf (Kendal Leafblower) and further more he has taken a shine to Ferret a Wood Elf no less!!

Any dwarf who can spend a fist full o'silvers at the Foaming Sands is a Legend in his own Lunchtime.

Don't get me wrong I'm very pro dwarf, stereotypes an all though I am trying to expand on the Ale swillin', Orc bashing Battle Tank everyone views dwarves.

I think the question regarding Jill's name has been answered in full--thank you to the scribes who pitched in. Yes, Jill is one of "my" characters. He's a colorful sort with an appreciative eye for the female form, in all of its many forms. In short, he likes women. A lot. He would probably tell you that dwarf women are the most beautiful and the most fun to tumble and tussle with, but he's willing to vary his tastes (and techniques) as needed. He can see much to appreciate in a willowy elf or a curvy human, and, sexual gormand that he is, he's also willing to sample more exotic fare. This appreciation for females of just about all sorts has led him to a broader tolerance than is common for his kind. Sometimes he forgets that other people think differently, such as when he suggested that his new elven buddy accompany him to the Earthfast Mountains. He fully anticipated a welcome for his new friend, and saw no reason why Kendal might not want to court his pretty little cousin.
Go to Top of Page

Delzounblood
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
578 Posts

Posted - 26 Oct 2006 :  13:02:53  Show Profile Send Delzounblood a Private Message
quote:

quote:

Is he (Jill) one of your own Char or taken from another player, he seems to be a bit of a paradox in dwarf terms as he not only "cares" about other people being subject to slavery but he also befriends an elf (Kendal Leafblower) and further more he has taken a shine to Ferret a Wood Elf no less!!

I think the question regarding Jill's name has been answered in full--thank you to the scribes who pitched in. Yes, Jill is one of "my" characters. He's a colorful sort with an appreciative eye for the female form, in all of its many forms. In short, he likes women. A lot. He would probably tell you that dwarf women are the most beautiful and the most fun to tumble and tussle with, but he's willing to vary his tastes (and techniques) as needed. He can see much to appreciate in a willowy elf or a curvy human, and, sexual gormand that he is, he's also willing to sample more exotic fare. This appreciation for females of just about all sorts has led him to a broader tolerance than is common for his kind. Sometimes he forgets that other people think differently, such as when he suggested that his new elven buddy accompany him to the Earthfast Mountains. He fully anticipated a welcome for his new friend, and saw no reason why Kendal might not want to court his pretty little cousin.

Thanks elaine by the way Damn good book, I am reading it again, it must be the 20th time sofar.

I'm Back!
Go to Top of Page

Uzzy
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
618 Posts

Posted - 26 Oct 2006 :  13:18:50  Show Profile  Visit Uzzy's Homepage Send Uzzy a Private Message
Thanks Elaine.

Yep, its the Realms I am playing in at the moment. Your quite right to suspect I have a very different musical background, only had the basic teaching I got in Music Class back at school. Really, when I started playing my Bard, I aimed towards a more adventuring bard type, rather then a Minstrel. But eventually, after much persuasion from the people I play with, I decided to try to start making up my own songs to sing. Heh.

My own musical tastes tend to be more modern stuff, rock and pop, making it a bit difficult to imagine medieval tunes.

I've actually had a look at Blackmore Nights website before, and found some good tunes there. I'll search for the other bands you mentioned too.

Many thanks for the advice.
Go to Top of Page

Skeptic
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1273 Posts

Posted - 28 Oct 2006 :  01:31:13  Show Profile Send Skeptic a Private Message

In Elfsong, a monster named as a Lorelei charms with a song a powerful paladin (Texter). I don't recall this monster from any "monster manual", do you created it (from the real-word myths as showed in another topic) or it's stated somewhere?
Go to Top of Page

Kentinal
Great Reader

4687 Posts

Posted - 28 Oct 2006 :  01:58:37  Show Profile Send Kentinal a Private Message
Hmm, http://www.pantheon.org/articles/l/lorelei.html offers this

quote:
According to German legend, there was once a beautiful young maiden, named Lorelei, who threw herself headlong into the river in despair over a faithless lover. Upon her death she was transformed into a siren and could from that time on be heard singing on a rock along the Rhine River, near St. Goar. Her hypnotic music lured sailors to their death. The legend is based on an echoing rock with that name near Sankt Goarshausen, Germany.

I can not find any direct D&D reference to the creature stated out.

"Small beings can have small wisdom," the dragon said. "And small wise beings are better than small fools. Listen: Wisdom is caring for afterwards."
"Caring for afterwards ...? Ker repeated this without understanding.
"After action, afterwards," the dragon said. "Choose the afterwards first, then the action. Fools choose action first."
"Judgement" copyright 2003 by Elizabeth Moon
Go to Top of Page

ElaineCunningham
Forgotten Realms Author

2396 Posts

Posted - 28 Oct 2006 :  01:59:48  Show Profile  Visit ElaineCunningham's Homepage
quote:
Originally posted by Skeptic

In Elfsong, a monster named as a Lorelei charms with a song a powerful paladin (Texter). I don't recall this monster from any "monster manual", do you created it (from the real-word myths as showed in another topic) or it's stated somewhere?

Elfsong was published in 1993, and in all candor I don't recall whether the lorelei had stats in any of the second edition Monster Manuals and/or supplements. The lorelei comes from Germanic folklore. She's a type of land-bound mermaid (albeit without the tail), one that lives in rivers or lakes and can enchant the listener with her song.

Does anyone know if there are lorelei stats in 3.5?
Go to Top of Page

Reefy
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
892 Posts

Posted - 29 Oct 2006 :  01:33:12  Show Profile  Visit Reefy's Homepage Send Reefy a Private Message
The question was also asked in this scroll, Elaine: http://forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=8088
To the best of anyone's knowledge, there are no 3.5 stats, or seemingly any from any edition. Personally I agree that it sounds like a freshwater sirine.

Go to Top of Page

Reefy
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
892 Posts

Posted - 29 Oct 2006 :  01:40:11  Show Profile  Visit Reefy's Homepage Send Reefy a Private Message
Hi Elaine,

I'm trying to find out some more about the elven pantheon temple in Waterdeep and the only place I can find reference to it is in Elfsong. Any further information would be great, but for a specific question, what sort of care facilities do they have? Azariah is being looked after there, and the elven hermit Ingrival was taken in, so I was wondering if you can expand on that aspect.
I have asked Ed in his scroll what he can reveal about the temple, so I understand if you don't want to tread on his toes or if this isn't the sort of question you want to answer. But I thought I'd ask you anyway, just in case. Thanks for anything you can offer.

Go to Top of Page

ElaineCunningham
Forgotten Realms Author

2396 Posts

Posted - 29 Oct 2006 :  13:37:37  Show Profile  Visit ElaineCunningham's Homepage
quote:
Originally posted by Reefy

I'm trying to find out some more about the elven pantheon temple in Waterdeep and the only place I can find reference to it is in Elfsong. Any further information would be great, but for a specific question, what sort of care facilities do they have? Azariah is being looked after there, and the elven hermit Ingrival was taken in, so I was wondering if you can expand on that aspect.
I have asked Ed in his scroll what he can reveal about the temple, so I understand if you don't want to tread on his toes or if this isn't the sort of question you want to answer. But I thought I'd ask you anyway, just in case. Thanks for anything you can offer.

Since creation/expansion of Realmslore is subject to WotC approval (except by Ed), I think I'll defer to the Creator on this one.
Go to Top of Page

Reefy
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
892 Posts

Posted - 30 Oct 2006 :  00:06:05  Show Profile  Visit Reefy's Homepage Send Reefy a Private Message
quote:

Since creation/expansion of Realmslore is subject to WotC approval (except by Ed), I think I'll defer to the Creator on this one.

Understood, and thanks.

Go to Top of Page

Lord Karsus
Great Reader

USA
3740 Posts

Posted - 31 Oct 2006 :  01:57:54  Show Profile Send Lord Karsus a Private Message
Hmm...Elaine, I was wondering. What is Elven currency on Evermeet like? What is it called (I doubt Elves would simply have Copper, Silver, Gold, Electrum, and so on)? What does it look like? Anything would be much appreciated! Don't forget we all love you for everything you do!

(A Tri-Partite Arcanist Who Has Forgotten More Than Most Will Ever Know)

Elves of Faerūn
Vol I- The Elves of Faerūn
Vol. III- Spells of the Elves
Vol. VI- Mechanical Compendium
Go to Top of Page

Kaladorm
Master of Realmslore

United Kingdom
1176 Posts

Posted - 31 Oct 2006 :  08:27:34  Show Profile  Visit Kaladorm's Homepage Send Kaladorm a Private Message
I don't remember where the information for this is but I know its in one of the sourcebooks.

One part I do remember is that the elves of evermeet place the value of the coin in it's metal value, so they will take foreign coins and even ancient currency so long as it is pure and weighs correctly

edit: and I believe most of the trade is done by barter rather than settling on currency. Though I forget if this is all of evermeet or just leuthilspar (sp?)

Edited by - Kaladorm on 31 Oct 2006 08:28:22
Go to Top of Page

ElaineCunningham
Forgotten Realms Author

2396 Posts

Posted - 31 Oct 2006 :  14:25:22  Show Profile  Visit ElaineCunningham's Homepage
quote:
Originally posted by Kaladorm

I don't remember where the information for this is but I know its in one of the sourcebooks.

One part I do remember is that the elves of evermeet place the value of the coin in it's metal value, so they will take foreign coins and even ancient currency so long as it is pure and weighs correctly

edit: and I believe most of the trade is done by barter rather than settling on currency. Though I forget if this is all of evermeet or just leuthilspar (sp?)

I'm in a rather awkward position where FR elf lore is concerned. Yes, I have written several elf-focused novels over the past 15 years or so, but those were written under second edition rules. Many of the assumptions and details have changed since then. Just yesterday, I was reading the copyedited manuscript of the upcoming "best of ec" anthology, and noted quite a few anachronistic references--such as the mention of elven "infravision" which allowed elves, even surface elves, to perceive a heat signature.

Richard Baker's Last Mythal trilogy was advertised as "reinventing the elves of Faerun." I suspect that still more changes are coming. Since I'm not in the loop on these, and since the second edition elves are really a sort of footnote in Realms history, I don't feel comfortable commenting on elven lore.

I really hate to keep deflecting questions, but unless something is specifically related to one of my books, it's better addressed to Ed Greenwood or to game designers currently employed by WotC. Sorry!
Go to Top of Page

Kalin Agrivar
Senior Scribe

Canada
956 Posts

Posted - 31 Oct 2006 :  14:30:53  Show Profile  Visit Kalin Agrivar's Homepage Send Kalin Agrivar a Private Message
quote:
I'm in a rather awkward position where FR elf lore is concerned. Yes, I have written several elf-focused novels over the past 15 years or so, but those were written under second edition rules. Many of the assumptions and details have changed since then. Just yesterday, I was reading the copyedited manuscript of the upcoming "best of ec" anthology, and noted quite a few anachronistic references--such as the mention of elven "infravision" which allowed elves, even surface elves, to perceive a heat signature.

Richard Baker's Last Mythal trilogy was advertised as "reinventing the elves of Faerun." I suspect that still more changes are coming. Since I'm not in the loop on these, and since the second edition elves are really a sort of footnote in Realms history, I don't feel comfortable commenting on elven lore.

that is saddening

Kalin Xorell El'Agrivar

- High Mage of the Arcane Assembly
- Lore Keeper of the Vault of Ancestors
- 3rd Son of the Lord of the Stand
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 81 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page