Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Chamber of Sages
 Questions for Elaine Cunningham
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 81

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 12 Jul 2006 :  02:48:45  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message
Ah, that makes sense. I never understood why Beatrix chose to pet a clockwork cat over a real one. Thanks for the answer.

"Instead of asking why we sleep, it might make sense to ask why we wake. Perchance we live to dream. From that perspective, the sea of troubles we navigate in the workaday world might be the price we pay for admission to another night in the world of dreams."
--Richard Greene (letter to Time)
Go to Top of Page

ElaineCunningham
Forgotten Realms Author

2396 Posts

Posted - 12 Jul 2006 :  14:11:56  Show Profile  Visit ElaineCunningham's Homepage
quote:
Originally posted by Rinonalyrna Fathomlin

Ah, that makes sense. I never understood why Beatrix chose to pet a clockwork cat over a real one. Thanks for the answer.

Once an obsession starts, it feeds upon itself and can end up in odd places.

I knew a woman once who hosted a outdoor party, then spent most of the time sitting in the kitchen so she could dash into the powder room after anyone used it to wipe up drips of water left on the sink after hand-washing. Between uses, she complained that people weren't wiping up said drips of water. This small household chore utterly consumed her thoughts and conversation for an entire summer afternoon. And this is a woman who would be considered sane. Beatrix had been shattered by torture and confounded by magic. When I think of the state of her mind, I get a mental image of an broken electrical device--still whole, but partially dismantled and with loose wires sparking and sputtering, unable to make connections. In a way, Beatrix's experiments with clockwork are a metaphor for her fervent desire to put HERSELF back together. But because her state of mind is unsound, these attempts turned into obsession.

Edited by - ElaineCunningham on 12 Jul 2006 14:13:03
Go to Top of Page

GothicDan
Master of Realmslore

USA
1103 Posts

Posted - 12 Jul 2006 :  22:28:13  Show Profile  Visit GothicDan's Homepage Send GothicDan a Private Message
Elaine, your characters are so thorough!

Planescape Fanatic

"Fiends and Undead are the peanut butter and jelly of evil." - Me
"That attitude should be stomped on, whenever and wherever it's encountered, because it makes people holding such views bad citizens, not just bad roleplayers (considering D&D was structured as a 'forced cooperation' game, and although successive editions are pointing it more and more towards a me-first, min-max game, the drift away from 'we all need each other to succeed' will at some point make it 'no longer' D&D)." - ED GREENWOOD
Go to Top of Page

ElaineCunningham
Forgotten Realms Author

2396 Posts

Posted - 12 Jul 2006 :  22:36:00  Show Profile  Visit ElaineCunningham's Homepage
quote:
Originally posted by GothicDan

Elaine, your characters are so thorough!

Sometimes I suspect that I spend far too much time thinking about these things. As a fellow writer once jokingly advised me, "Writers aren't supposed to think; they're supposed to TYPE!"

Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 13 Jul 2006 :  00:06:16  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by ElaineCunningham

I knew a woman once who hosted a outdoor party, then spent most of the time sitting in the kitchen so she could dash into the powder room after anyone used it to wipe up drips of water left on the sink after hand-washing. Between uses, she complained that people weren't wiping up said drips of water. This small household chore utterly consumed her thoughts and conversation for an entire summer afternoon. And this is a woman who would be considered sane.

That sounds rather like obsessive-compulsive disorder to me (obviously, that's a guess on my part)--and it's something I'm not entirely unfamiliar with.

quote:
Beatrix had been shattered by torture and confounded by magic. When I think of the state of her mind, I get a mental image of an broken electrical device--still whole, but partially dismantled and with loose wires sparking and sputtering, unable to make connections. In a way, Beatrix's experiments with clockwork are a metaphor for her fervent desire to put HERSELF back together. But because her state of mind is unsound, these attempts turned into obsession.

Wow, I never thought of it that way--that's a nice metaphor. Thank you for the detailed explanation.

"Instead of asking why we sleep, it might make sense to ask why we wake. Perchance we live to dream. From that perspective, the sea of troubles we navigate in the workaday world might be the price we pay for admission to another night in the world of dreams."
--Richard Greene (letter to Time)
Go to Top of Page

GothicDan
Master of Realmslore

USA
1103 Posts

Posted - 13 Jul 2006 :  00:15:58  Show Profile  Visit GothicDan's Homepage Send GothicDan a Private Message
quote:
Sometimes I suspect that I spend far too much time thinking about these things. As a fellow writer once jokingly advised me, "Writers aren't supposed to think; they're supposed to TYPE!"

I say to that - scoff! ;) I'd rather have a single, really well-thought out, nicely-sized novel every 2 years, myself. I wish more authors thought more!

Planescape Fanatic

"Fiends and Undead are the peanut butter and jelly of evil." - Me
"That attitude should be stomped on, whenever and wherever it's encountered, because it makes people holding such views bad citizens, not just bad roleplayers (considering D&D was structured as a 'forced cooperation' game, and although successive editions are pointing it more and more towards a me-first, min-max game, the drift away from 'we all need each other to succeed' will at some point make it 'no longer' D&D)." - ED GREENWOOD
Go to Top of Page

Winterfox
Senior Scribe

895 Posts

Posted - 13 Jul 2006 :  08:38:48  Show Profile  Visit Winterfox's Homepage Send Winterfox a Private Message
quote:

I knew a woman once who hosted a outdoor party, then spent most of the time sitting in the kitchen so she could dash into the powder room after anyone used it to wipe up drips of water left on the sink after hand-washing. Between uses, she complained that people weren't wiping up said drips of water. This small household chore utterly consumed her thoughts and conversation for an entire summer afternoon. And this is a woman who would be considered sane. Beatrix had been shattered by torture and confounded by magic. When I think of the state of her mind, I get a mental image of an broken electrical device--still whole, but partially dismantled and with loose wires sparking and sputtering, unable to make connections. In a way, Beatrix's experiments with clockwork are a metaphor for her fervent desire to put HERSELF back together. But because her state of mind is unsound, these attempts turned into obsession.

You remind me why Counselors & Kings is one of my favorite FR trilogies. :) Beatrix's insanity is dealt with in a way that's rare for fantasy characters -- it's genuinely quite creepy.

I couldn't help but feel that the restoration of her memories and sanity was a bit pat, though.
Go to Top of Page

Narwe
Acolyte

Slovenia
3 Posts

Posted - 15 Jul 2006 :  18:23:46  Show Profile Send Narwe a Private Message
I have a question about Kymil Nimesin. At the end of Evermeet he escapes, so he's now 'somewhere out there' and he knows about Amnestria's first child, a potential heir to Evermeet's throne. That's a piece of information that he could use with potentialy devastating results if he still has the necessery 'backup'. Did Lamruil later tell Amlaruil about this and warn her?
Go to Top of Page

Jamallo Kreen
Master of Realmslore

USA
1537 Posts

Posted - 15 Jul 2006 :  18:31:26  Show Profile  Visit Jamallo Kreen's Homepage Send Jamallo Kreen a Private Message
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by KnightErrantJR

You know Elaine . . . no one has ever done a gnomish epic in the Realms . . .

Indeed. They seem to appear mostly in (ahem) short stories. ::ducks::

Seriously, there WAS a gnome-intensive book in the Harper series--Soldiers of Ice, by David Cook. Not exactly an epic, but it did give considerable insight into a particular gnome culture. Interestingly, these gnomes were fighters, not tinkerers, and there wasn't a bit of comic relief in sight.

Now isn't this just a curious co-inky-dink? Just last Saturday I ran a session set in Ches 1360, in which the party had to face the first bit of flotsam tossed to the Sword Coast by the Tuigan Horde: short, ferocious, dirty creatures waving swords from ponyback and shrieking furiously beneath fur hats. They were, of course, gnome-mads.

I have a mouth, but I am in a library and must not scream.

Feed the poor and stroke your ego, too: http://www.freerice.com/index.php.

Go to Top of Page

ElaineCunningham
Forgotten Realms Author

2396 Posts

Posted - 15 Jul 2006 :  18:33:56  Show Profile  Visit ElaineCunningham's Homepage
quote:
Originally posted by Jamallo Kreen

quote:

quote:
Originally posted by KnightErrantJR

You know Elaine . . . no one has ever done a gnomish epic in the Realms . . .

Indeed. They seem to appear mostly in (ahem) short stories. ::ducks::

Seriously, there WAS a gnome-intensive book in the Harper series--Soldiers of Ice, by David Cook. Not exactly an epic, but it did give considerable insight into a particular gnome culture. Interestingly, these gnomes were fighters, not tinkerers, and there wasn't a bit of comic relief in sight.

Now isn't this just a curious co-inky-dink? Just last Saturday I ran a session set in Ches 1360, in which the party had to face the first bit of flotsam tossed to the Sword Coast by the Tuigan Horde: short, ferocious, dirty creatures waving swords from ponyback and shrieking furiously beneath fur hats. They were, of course, gnome-mads.

It could be argued that I had that coming.

Go to Top of Page

lowtech
Learned Scribe

USA
315 Posts

Posted - 16 Jul 2006 :  03:39:02  Show Profile  Visit lowtech's Homepage Send lowtech a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Rinonalyrna Fathomlin

quote:

I knew a woman once who hosted a outdoor party, then spent most of the time sitting in the kitchen so she could dash into the powder room after anyone used it to wipe up drips of water left on the sink after hand-washing. Between uses, she complained that people weren't wiping up said drips of water. This small household chore utterly consumed her thoughts and conversation for an entire summer afternoon. And this is a woman who would be considered sane.

That sounds rather like obsessive-compulsive disorder to me (obviously, that's a guess on my part)--and it's something I'm not entirely unfamiliar with.

More like obsessive-compulsive personality disorder; people with true OCD usually realize how irrational their obsessions are, and try to hide the symptons from others (something I am unfortunately very familier with).
Go to Top of Page

ElaineCunningham
Forgotten Realms Author

2396 Posts

Posted - 16 Jul 2006 :  11:57:33  Show Profile  Visit ElaineCunningham's Homepage
quote:
Originally posted by Narwe

I have a question about Kymil Nimesin. At the end of Evermeet he escapes, so he's now 'somewhere out there' and he knows about Amnestria's first child, a potential heir to Evermeet's throne. That's a piece of information that he could use with potentialy devastating results if he still has the necessery 'backup'. Did Lamruil later tell Amlaruil about this and warn her?

Amlaruil is aware of the situation, yes.
Go to Top of Page

Alaundo
Head Moderator
Admin

United Kingdom
5695 Posts

Posted - 27 Jul 2006 :  15:43:46  Show Profile  Visit Alaundo's Homepage Send Alaundo a Private Message
Well met

Elaine will be offline for a time, so at her request, i'm therefore locking this questions thread until her return.

Alaundo
Candlekeep Forums Head Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

An Introduction to Candlekeep - by Ed Greenwood
The Candlekeep Compendium - Tomes of Realmslore penned by Scribes of Candlekeep
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 12 Oct 2006 :  20:30:25  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message
At the request of Elaine, I unlocked this. :)

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium
Go to Top of Page

Beirnadri Magranth
Senior Scribe

USA
720 Posts

Posted - 12 Oct 2006 :  21:17:50  Show Profile  Visit Beirnadri Magranth's Homepage Send Beirnadri Magranth a Private Message
Elaine this is the first time asking you something so well met!
I read a long time ago the Magehound book. I recalled a short snippet in there where there is some one on stage telling a story about a man and woman who were chased by pirates. eventually she hikes up her skirt and then runs faster than the pirates with their pants down.
To be quite honest that is a hilarious part in the story. Did you make that story in a story up or did you read that somewhere?

"You came here to be a martyr in a great big bang of glory... instead you will die with a whimper."
::moussaoui tries to interrupt::
"You will never get a chance to speak again and that's an appropriate ending."

-Judge Brinkema
Go to Top of Page

ElaineCunningham
Forgotten Realms Author

2396 Posts

Posted - 12 Oct 2006 :  21:32:19  Show Profile  Visit ElaineCunningham's Homepage
quote:
Originally posted by Beirnadri Magranth

Elaine this is the first time asking you something so well met!
I read a long time ago the Magehound book. I recalled a short snippet in there where there is some one on stage telling a story about a man and woman who were chased by pirates. eventually she hikes up her skirt and then runs faster than the pirates with their pants down.
To be quite honest that is a hilarious part in the story. Did you make that story in a story up or did you read that somewhere?

In all candor, it's a "recycled story." The basic concept is that a woman threatened with unwanted sexual attention responds by pulling up her skirts. The man, assuming surrender or even interest, promptly drops his pants. The punchline (a woman with her skirts up can run faster than a man with his pants down) has been around for quite a while, so you'll probably run into various versions of it here and there.
Go to Top of Page

Beirnadri Magranth
Senior Scribe

USA
720 Posts

Posted - 12 Oct 2006 :  21:45:31  Show Profile  Visit Beirnadri Magranth's Homepage Send Beirnadri Magranth a Private Message
still was really funny

"You came here to be a martyr in a great big bang of glory... instead you will die with a whimper."
::moussaoui tries to interrupt::
"You will never get a chance to speak again and that's an appropriate ending."

-Judge Brinkema
Go to Top of Page

Corran Horn
Seeker

54 Posts

Posted - 13 Oct 2006 :  19:35:48  Show Profile  Visit Corran Horn's Homepage Send Corran Horn a Private Message
Firstly i want to say that it is a great pleasure to talk with you Ms. Cunningham.
I want to write article, for official polish dnd site, about wielders of moonblades. How many of moonblades is still active? Could you name some wielders? Do we know history of some moonblades? What they will do now, when Myth Drannor is retaken, when elves are returnig to Faerun?
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31716 Posts

Posted - 14 Oct 2006 :  01:24:14  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message
I know Elaine has said, in the past, that she would like to start shifting away from answering purely "moonblade" questions...

So in that regard, Corran, I would suggest you take a look through the rest of this particular scroll, since I'm fairly certain Elaine has already answered similar questions before about the history of moonblades.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

ElaineCunningham
Forgotten Realms Author

2396 Posts

Posted - 14 Oct 2006 :  02:34:35  Show Profile  Visit ElaineCunningham's Homepage
The history of moonblades will be addressed and the recent issues resolved in the upcoming Songs & Swords book. Unfortunately, I really can't talk about this before the book comes out.

BTW, I will be away from keyboard until late next week. I'm typing this at a family member's house, but after tonight, I won't be anywhere near a computer for several days. I'll stop by late next week.
Go to Top of Page

Red Marauder
Acolyte

United Kingdom
5 Posts

Posted - 20 Oct 2006 :  10:30:54  Show Profile  Visit Red Marauder's Homepage Send Red Marauder a Private Message
You have mentioned that you have plans in the future to write a short story about Elaith Craulnober for Dragon Magazine. Will this be focusing on the following subject matters you have previously hinted at:-
"Return to Craulnober Keep," in which Elaith visits Evermeet shortly after the events of the novel EVERMEET, and considers rebuilding his ancestral home
or
His relationship with Azariah's mother (think Otello, except Desdemona actually DOES fool around...)???

Thanks in advance to any response you can give.

Go to Top of Page

ElaineCunningham
Forgotten Realms Author

2396 Posts

Posted - 20 Oct 2006 :  11:08:22  Show Profile  Visit ElaineCunningham's Homepage
quote:
Originally posted by Red Marauder

You have mentioned that you have plans in the future to write a short story about Elaith Craulnober for Dragon Magazine. Will this be focusing on the following subject matters you have previously hinted at:-
"Return to Craulnober Keep," in which Elaith visits Evermeet shortly after the events of the novel EVERMEET, and considers rebuilding his ancestral home
or
His relationship with Azariah's mother (think Otello, except Desdemona actually DOES fool around...)???

Thanks in advance to any response you can give.

Neither. Given the audience for Dragon Magazine, it would probably be better to submit a story that's more adventure than lore. I haven't decided yet--I'm finishing up a few things first--but most likely it'll be something focusing on his criminal activities.

ec
Go to Top of Page

Corran Horn
Seeker

54 Posts

Posted - 20 Oct 2006 :  11:57:27  Show Profile  Visit Corran Horn's Homepage Send Corran Horn a Private Message
Hi Ms. Cunnigham. I have another question about elves.
Is Lady Ashakala Durothil still alive?
Go to Top of Page

ElaineCunningham
Forgotten Realms Author

2396 Posts

Posted - 20 Oct 2006 :  14:20:39  Show Profile  Visit ElaineCunningham's Homepage
quote:
Originally posted by Corran Horn

Hi Ms. Cunnigham. I have another question about elves.
Is Lady Ashakala Durothil still alive?

I can't give a definitive answer to this, as my last official foray into Evermeet was with the novel of that name, published back in 1999. This book ended in the year DR 1371. Quite a lot has happened to the elves since then.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36793 Posts

Posted - 20 Oct 2006 :  17:20:26  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message
quote:

I'm hoping to advertise the book with two or three new short stories scattered here and there. If you have a particular character, event, or location you'd like to see revisited in a short story, stop by my Q&A thread with suggestions. I'll be writing a story about Elaith to submit to Dragon Magazine, but I'd also like to do at least one more story as a free web download.

I can never get enough of Arilyn, Danilo, and Elaith!

Or...

As we've discussed before, a lot of Amlaruil and Zaor's children are, as far as the wider Realms is concerned, missing in action. We only know the final fates for a few of them, though you've said that Amlaruil knows where her kids are. I would love to read about one or more of those "lost" royal kids.

Oh, and it's almost a given that people want to know more about Elaith and Amnestria's son.

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!

Edited by - Wooly Rupert on 20 Oct 2006 17:57:47
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 20 Oct 2006 :  18:02:54  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message
I'd like to know more about Elaith's female moon elf apprentice that is mentioned, and short stated, in Lost Empires on page 145.

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Go to Top of Page

ElaineCunningham
Forgotten Realms Author

2396 Posts

Posted - 20 Oct 2006 :  18:37:45  Show Profile  Visit ElaineCunningham's Homepage
quote:
Originally posted by Kuje

I'd like to know more about Elaith's female moon elf apprentice that is mentioned, and short stated, in Lost Empires on page 145.

So would I. For starters, I should probably find out if she's the elf mentioned in City of Splendors, or whether someone assigned him an apprentice.
Go to Top of Page

ElaineCunningham
Forgotten Realms Author

2396 Posts

Posted - 20 Oct 2006 :  19:18:03  Show Profile  Visit ElaineCunningham's Homepage
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert
As we've discussed before, a lot of Amlaruil and Zaor's children are, as far as the wider Realms is concerned, missing in action. We only know the final fates for a few of them, though you've said that Amlaruil knows where her kids are. I would love to read about one or more of those "lost" royal kids.

Oh, and it's almost a given that people want to know more about Elaith and Amnestria's son.

Stay tuned for Reclamation, the sixth and final book of the Songs & Swords series. Many hitherto secret things will come into the light, and the cryptic will be made plain.
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 20 Oct 2006 :  19:34:46  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by Kuje

So would I. For starters, I should probably find out if she's the elf mentioned in City of Splendors, or whether someone assigned him an apprentice.

I was going to ask Ed about her but if you add her somewhere, then I'll wait. :)

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31716 Posts

Posted - 21 Oct 2006 :  01:42:24  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

Stay tuned for Reclamation, the sixth and final book of the Songs & Swords series. Many hitherto secret things will come into the light, and the cryptic will be made plain.

Just so long as "every" secret isn't given its time in the literary light!

And like Wooly, I'm also eager to learn more about Elaith and Amnestria's son, though, perhaps not as eager to know "everything." Part of Elaith's charm is the mystery that surrounds a great many things in his past.

I'll echo the request for more on the "lost" royal children though... they seem to garner a great deal of attention on FR message boards, though there's still very little written about their activities.

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 81 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000