Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 Running the Realms
 4006 character names by Ed - updated 08Jun15
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Derulbaskul
Senior Scribe

Singapore
408 Posts

Posted - 07 Jun 2015 :  17:30:22  Show Profile Send Derulbaskul a Private Message  Reply with Quote
No luck with your downloads, eh?

I've actually added another 500 or so names - IIRC - so let me get that posted and a link put up. I'm heading off to bed shortly so I will have to do it tomorrow.

Cheers
D

NB: Please remember: A cannon is a big gun. Canon is what we discuss here.
Go to Top of Page

Caladan Brood
Senior Scribe

Norway
410 Posts

Posted - 07 Jun 2015 :  19:24:26  Show Profile  Visit Caladan Brood's Homepage Send Caladan Brood a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thank ye so very much :)
This dark elf appreciates.
Go to Top of Page

Derulbaskul
Senior Scribe

Singapore
408 Posts

Posted - 08 Jun 2015 :  11:01:16  Show Profile Send Derulbaskul a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Here's the latest version with 4,461 names: http://my-realms.blogspot.com/2015/06/4461-names-by-ed-greenwood.html

Cheers
D

Go to Top of Page

Caladan Brood
Senior Scribe

Norway
410 Posts

Posted - 08 Jun 2015 :  14:54:15  Show Profile  Visit Caladan Brood's Homepage Send Caladan Brood a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thank you so much for the effort!
Note to other downloaders: While the webpage reports "Whoops! There was a problem loading pages", hitting the download button allows you to get the whole shebang. Again, thank you.
C. Brood
Go to Top of Page

Derulbaskul
Senior Scribe

Singapore
408 Posts

Posted - 08 Jun 2015 :  16:35:36  Show Profile Send Derulbaskul a Private Message  Reply with Quote
You're most welcome. I just add to it on a piecemeal basis most of the time but occasionally tackle an entire book. It's amazing how long the list is!

Cheers
D

Go to Top of Page

Crai
Acolyte

USA
42 Posts

Posted - 12 Jun 2015 :  15:20:23  Show Profile Send Crai a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thank you for providing this excellent resource, Delrulbaskul. And thanks to all the others who are also helping compile more names for the list.

A while back, The Hooded One once stated that she could look at a given fictional name and tell right off the bat if it was an Ed creation. Kind of implying that there is a quasi-formula or pattern to Ed's "people naming" modus operandi. Based upon my own primitive observations, I would concur. Many times I look at a given Ed-created name and *know* it's one he created - without being able to explain my reason why. Lol. And that's taking into consideration the character's Torilian geographical and cultural origin, too.
Go to Top of Page

Derulbaskul
Senior Scribe

Singapore
408 Posts

Posted - 12 Jun 2015 :  18:06:22  Show Profile Send Derulbaskul a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Crai

Thank you for providing this excellent resource, Delrulbaskul. And thanks to all the others who are also helping compile more names for the list. (snip)

You're welcome. And it's all me: I've been at this list for a couple of years now adding to it from time time.

quote:
(snip) A while back, The Hooded One once stated that she could look at a given fictional name and tell right off the bat if it was an Ed creation. Kind of implying that there is a quasi-formula or pattern to Ed's "people naming" modus operandi. Based upon my own primitive observations, I would concur. Many times I look at a given Ed-created name and *know* it's one he created - without being able to explain my reason why. Lol. And that's taking into consideration the character's Torilian geographical and cultural origin, too.

I agree. One of the things I have always liked about FR - and thus the reason I started making this list - was the way Ed's names felt "right", in much the same way as JRRT came up with naming conventions that simply fit the world of LotR.

It also makes it really jarring when R A Salvatore comes out with such really crappy names in his novels. Of course, RAS is not alone in the crappy names department... but he's the king.

Cheers
D

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000