Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 Running the Realms
 Elves of Evermeet Campaign
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

AnthonyRTDB
Acolyte

2 Posts

Posted - 12 Jun 2015 :  15:28:34  Show Profile Send AnthonyRTDB a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
I am currently in the early stages of planning a new campaign. I am a long time DM, but Ihave a group of new players who love D&D 5E, and I would like to introduce them to the breadth and scope of the Realms rather than run another of WotC's adventure paths. I will be wrapping up Rise of Tiamat soon, and although it's been a blast, I'd like to try something new and run my own game.

The Goal of this Campaign is to explore the intrigues and infighting amongst the noble houses of Evermeet as their queen begins a campaign to end the Elven Retreat, establish strong diplomatic relations with the city states along the Sword Coast, build an alliance with the remaining Elves in Cormanthor, and reclaim lost Elven treasures and lands throughout Faerun, most especially Myth Drannor.

The PCs will all be Elves, but I will allow a Drow and Half Elves to give some more options. Drow are allowed because Queen Amlauril is hoping to broker some kind of agreement between the Elves of Evermeet and the Church of Eilistraee. Half-Elves make sense as well, as it allows some minor discrimination and racism that the PCs must overcome.

The themes of my campaign will include familial obligations, overcoming prejudices, exploring the

I will be using the 5E rules, but relying on the sourcebooks from AD&D for setting information such as Elves of Evermeet, Code of the Harpers, Ruins of Myth Drannor, and others.

As I am researching element of this campaign, I realized that I would like to include various ranks for the Churches, Military, and Mages. I've worked out some ranks based on guessing and research on the Forgotten Realms Wiki and my own readings.

However, I am not able to come up with good military ranks for the Elven Army of Evermeet. Can anyone offer some suggestions. I'm mostly interested in the "officer" ranks. So far I've worked our the following:

Clerics
1. Initiate
2. Acolyte
3. Disciple
4. Priest/ess
5. High Priest/ess
Mages
1. Apprentice
2. Novice
3. Mage
4. Grand Mage
5. Archmage
Military
1. X
2. X
3. Knight
4. X
5. High Marshall

Any help with filling in the gaps or any alternate ideas would be greatly appreciated. I want Evermeet to feel as Elven and different as possible so that when the characters eventually arrive in other locales such as Waterdeep, they are struck by the alien nature of the nobles and courts.

Any other ideas, suggestions or general information would be of great help too!

Many thanks in advance!

Hoondatha
Great Reader

USA
2449 Posts

Posted - 12 Jun 2015 :  20:01:27  Show Profile  Visit Hoondatha's Homepage Send Hoondatha a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I would go with the army organization from Cormanthyr/Fall of Myth Drannor.

Myth Drannor (and Cormanthyr before it) had two separate militaries. One was the Army of Might (Akh'Velahr) and the other was the Army of Art (Akh'Faer). The Akh'Faer was mostly wizards of various stripes. More militant priests were probably spread between both armies to provide on-site healing and anti-undead support.

The ranks were as follows:

Akh'Faer:
Rank                 Group Commanded       Min Troops (no officer)
Faerniir             Ring                              4 troops
Faernil                                                2 rings
Faernaa              Circle                            4 rings
Faernos                                                2 circles
Faerne               Sphere                            4 circles
Faernae                                                2 spheres
Arfaern              Wing                              4 spheres
Spell-Captain        Flight                            2 wings
Spell-Major          Akh'Faer                          4 flights

Akh'Velahr:
Rank                 Group Commanded       Min Troops (no officer)
Nilaa                 Detachment                     3 troops
Iolaa                 Section                        2 detachments
Nikym                 Platoon                        3 sections
Shaalth               Unit                           2 platoons
Nikerym               Company                        3 units
Kerym                 Battalion                      2 companies
Penaal                Brigade                        3 battalions
Arykerym              Regiment                       2 brigades
Arkerym               Legion                         3 regiments
Arms-Captain          All troops                     4 legions
Arms-Major            All armies                   All armies

Like modern navies, Akh'Faer ranks were higher than their equivalent in the Akh'Velahr. A Faerniir was the equivalent of a Nikym; there were no Akh'Faer versions of the Nilaa or Iolaa.

Anyway, I hope this helps. If you can get them, both Cormanthyr and Fall of Myth Drannor will be of great help for an elf-centric campaign.

edit: Hmm. I added some spaces in between the three columns to help make it readable, but I guess those got wiped out. So it's a bit harder to read that I hoped, but hopefully still helpful.

Doggedly converting 3e back to what D&D should be...
Sigh... And now 4e as well.

Edited by - Hoondatha on 12 Jun 2015 20:39:17
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36793 Posts

Posted - 12 Jun 2015 :  20:10:33  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Hoondatha

edit: Hmm. I added some spaces in between the three columns to help make it readable, but I guess those got wiped out. So it's a bit harder to read that I hoped, but hopefully still helpful.

Unless you use the code tag (which results in a funky font), the forum code removes extra spaces.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Cyrinishad
Learned Scribe

300 Posts

Posted - 12 Jun 2015 :  20:30:06  Show Profile Send Cyrinishad a Private Message  Reply with Quote
You could try and model the ranks of the various classes after things in Art/Music, or Nature, or Seasons. Here some names for the stuff listed off the top of my head:

Clerics
1. Initiate = Whisperer
2. Acolyte = Messenger
3. Disciple = Singer
4. Priest/ess = Solar
5. High Priest/ess = Lunar
Mages
1. Apprentice = Observer
2. Novice = Reader
3. Mage = Writer
4. Grand Mage = Raven
5. Archmage = Owl
Military
1. Skirmisher(Archer) = Sparrow (kinda like Arrow...)
2. Soldier = Talon
3. Champion = Sun Blade
4. Commander = Moon Knight
5. High Marshall = Coronal Equinox

To know, is to know that you know nothing. That is the meaning of true knowledge. -Socrates

Don't cry because it's over. Smile because it happened. -Dr. Seuss
Go to Top of Page

Hoondatha
Great Reader

USA
2449 Posts

Posted - 12 Jun 2015 :  20:39:57  Show Profile  Visit Hoondatha's Homepage Send Hoondatha a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Code! That was the tag I was looking for. I couldn't remember what it was to save my life. Thanks Wooly.

Okay, the table is looking much more user-friendly now.

Doggedly converting 3e back to what D&D should be...
Sigh... And now 4e as well.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000