Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 Running the Realms
 Minor Creation 3.5
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Saxmilian
Learned Scribe

USA
157 Posts

Posted - 07 Jun 2015 :  18:47:51  Show Profile  Visit Saxmilian's Homepage Send Saxmilian a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Can the spell Minor Creation be used to create Alchemical items?

nessus
Acolyte

13 Posts

Posted - 10 Jun 2015 :  17:30:09  Show Profile Send nessus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
as long as it is non magical plant matter you should be good

Before you judge a man, walk a mile in his shoes; after that who cares! he's a mile away and you've got his shoes!
Go to Top of Page

Crai
Acolyte

USA
42 Posts

Posted - 12 Jun 2015 :  15:11:33  Show Profile Send Crai a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Sax, I recommend you read this excellent article by Lokiyn:

http://community.wizards.com/forum/previous-editions-general/threads/1093126

It should help you better utilize your Minor Creation spell in more effective ways.
Go to Top of Page

Saxmilian
Learned Scribe

USA
157 Posts

Posted - 12 Jun 2015 :  15:31:32  Show Profile  Visit Saxmilian's Homepage Send Saxmilian a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the Link. Some useful ideas.
Go to Top of Page

SaMoCon
Senior Scribe

USA
403 Posts

Posted - 12 Jun 2015 :  21:47:18  Show Profile Send SaMoCon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Couple things. Alchemical items require magic as part of their construction which makes them non-mundane items (somewhere less than magic but more than extraordinary). Mr. Science at the other end of that link is using modern knowledge & understanding of substances to retroactively apply to a Dungeons & Dragons setting. Give consideration to the information at these links when making your determination: Craft Skill, FR Alchemical Items & Extraordinary Items, Minor Creation. I would rule that since magical power is required in the ordinary creation of alchemical items that the minor creation spell cannot duplicate any of those items because they require magic other than the minor creation spell which still takes the same amount of time as just crafting the items normally with the Craft Alchemy skill.

As for the more outlandish stuff Lokiyn was suggesting, quite simply, characters do not have that knowledge nor the basis for thinking in such ways. We are living in a world built upon centuries of the scientific method, trial & experimentation, and mass education of the discoveries. The Forgotten Realms is not this world and the 4th edition made that point clear by wiping out all the nations that had education for the masses (Lantan, Halruaa, Nimbral) in a contrived event. I have young players (24 and under) all excited about using their own science knowledge to create bombs and firearms and aircraft in my games and I have to shut them down because their fighters, thieves, and wizards do not have the appropriate skills at the levels necessary to understand even the most basic principles of such things let alone the testing required to make the foundational experiments to open those pathways of discovery. People spend their lives making a single advance, often with tremendous expenditures of resources and with rivals that threaten to steal their thunder. I give my players the option of their characters becoming researchers and laboratory scientists for the games but they always decline in favor of action & adventure. Go figure.

Now, if your players built characters with knowledge of chemistry (not alchemy), botany (not nature or survival), biology, poison crafting/distilling, medicine (not healing), and then healing & knowledge nature - only then would I allow such since the character is clearly built to do such things from the beginning. But without very specific and way off the game setting skills, most everything Lokiyn put up outside the volume charts is just a useful "what if" for having D&D magic in a modern world setting.

Make the best use of the system that's there, then modify the mechanics that don't allow you to have the fun you are looking for.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000