Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Chamber of Sages
 Questions for Ed Greenwood (2014)
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 29

The Hooded One
Lady Herald of Realmslore

5056 Posts

Posted - 13 Mar 2014 :  01:46:43  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hi again, all. Ed has been very busy these last few weeks (writing, dealing with severe winter weather where he dwells, and coping with the effects of a severe injury to his wife), and apologizes for his lengthy silences here at the Keep.
However, he HAS been reading all of your posts I've been ferrying him, when he can snatch the time, and has roused himself to make some replies.
Here's one of them:

dazzerdal and sleyvas, Tyr (known variously as "Achanatyr," "the Sword of Justice," "Arrtyr Judge Of All," and several other names (including Anachtyr), was indeed in the Jhaamdathi pantheon. And existed before that (so he's been around for at least FIVE thousand years). One small, secretive underground Tyrran cult that has existed down all those centuries (with some beholder worshippers as well as humans, and a sprinkling of elves who cleaved to rigid order) is veneration of Iltyr, the Blind But All-Seeing Eye (a huge weeping black [all pupil, no iris or sclera] eye that floats and flies about, trailing a small prehensile tail, and "speaks" boomingly in the minds of those near to it, discerning rights and intent and making judgements; very popular with individuals who desire a guide in life telling them precisely what the right thing to do is, whenever they seek moral guidance; there are secret worshippers of Iltyr among the nobility of Waterdeep and of Cormyr to this day, so if you ever find a curtained-off alcove in a nobles' mansion with a wall painting inside it that has any image that includes large, staring eyes that confront the viewer [or just one eye], you've found a private family chapel to Iltyr, something that's often explained away as "the only portrait we have of [[this or that illustrious ancestor]], but that very direct stare is disconcerting to everyone, so we keep it hidden away, just for us").

So saith Ed, illuminating a tiny glimpse of the dim past of the Realms.
love to all,
THO
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 13 Mar 2014 :  01:47:56  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
HardKano, I believe Ed is working with the gents who run theedverse.com on some means of providing signed books to those interested. I'll let you know more when I know more...
love,
THO
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 13 Mar 2014 :  01:53:09  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
And hi again, all.
createvmind, Ed says that yes, there is indeed cancer in the Realms, and Barastir, the Knights In Silver and the Spellguard are the elite "heavy hitters" of Silverymoon's defenders and expeditionary forces; the daily guards (of gates, walls, civic building entrances) and street police are in addition to the Knights, and beneath them in rank (not formally, but in terms of authority; any of the Silverwatch or the Moon Garrison who are given an order by a Knight or a member of the Spellguard will obey it unhesitatingly).
However, the Knights in Silver can and do "muck in" on mundane guarding work, on a regular rota; they're not haughty sorts. They do provide the fast cavalry, and patrol Everlund and the environs of Silverymoon on horseback regularly.
love,
THO
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 13 Mar 2014 :  02:03:27  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
And hello yet again, all (working my way through Ed's myriad small replies, here):

Eilserus, you've guessed right about Ombraldar and far Shanooth: they are indeed two cities that a Manshoon clone rules.
Both are walled port cities, beyond the Utter East (that is, south and east of what's been detailed on the maps). Ombraldar is a center for pottery and metal exports (i.e. the outlet and trading center for a region of mines), and there are many inhabited islands, large and small, near it. Shanooth is described as "far" because it's distant indeed (perhaps on another continent; Ed wouldn't say). What he did tell me of it was this:

Picture a city of high walls that often has clear night skies, and basks under the moon. Many of its inhabitants go about robed and cowled, and it is a city of learning and study of the stars and the world "outside" Toril (and spelljamming). All that most in Faerūn know of it is a phrase in an old poem: "The seers of Shanooth shun him, nor seek what he seeks." Those magically mighty of Shanooth at present dislike and work against chronomancy and attempts at time travel, preferring instead travel among worlds (worlds, not planes), and the energies that can be tapped across distances by those who know the right spells - - energies that are threatened by "reckless" attempts at movement through time.

So saith Ed. Sharing yet another glimpse of a hitherto-hidden facet of the Realms.
love,
THO

Edit: Kris the Grey, I quite forgot that this response unintentionally touches on your most recent question, too!

Edited by - The Hooded One on 13 Mar 2014 02:04:40
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 13 Mar 2014 :  02:11:43  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
And I'm back yet again, this time with an answer for Marco Volo, re. this: "I know Eilistraee has some worshippers dwelling in the surface of the Realms, but I was wandering if such followers "proselytize" or do things for the clergy of the Dark Maiden to be known?"
Ed responds:

Worshippers of the Dark Dancer vary just as the worshippers of all other deities do when considered en masse, but in general, no, those who venerate Eilistraee most (i.e. before all the other deities they believe in) do NOT proselytize. Theirs is a personal and private belief far more than it is a public, bold, involved-in-politics worship.

So saith Ed. Who also mentions that getting photos of Ed's prior writing lairs is impossible, Sage, because the rooms either no longer exist or look quite different now, and no photos were taken back then (Ed being a rather shy, always-very-busy kid who didn't own a camera most of the time and certainly didn't consider himself or his work worth recording).
love,
THO
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 13 Mar 2014 :  02:18:21  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
. . . And I'm back yet again, with ANOTHER reply from Ed, this one to Markustay, re. this: "In times of 'great distress', when large numbers of people are on the verge of dying (Titanic sinking, Vesuvius exploding, etc), has there ever been an occurrence of a deity (Earth, FR, or whatever) answering the pleas of the doomed and dying and shunting at least some of them into The Realms?"
Ed responds:

YES! This has indeed happened, and there are three or four paragraphs about this in some of the screeds I turned over to TSR back in 1986, describing various instances (who opened gates between Earth and the Realms, when, and why). This was, of course, due to the negative "Satanist/witchcraft/make your children disappear" publicity D&D was getting in some quarters at the time, was something firmly sat upon and left out of the published Realms, even as hints, and I'm fine with that decision. But yes, the notion you raise was part of my conception of the Realms (and its links with our real world) from the beginning (as were thoughts about murderers "escaping" into the Realms with the intent of frustrating Earth justice and popping back into our world to steal and then "vanish" into the Realms again, and so on).

So saith Ed. Who is snowed in right now, and taking a break from long hard creative hours at the keyboard to answer some lore requests here (at last!).
love,
THO
Edit: Oh, yes, Markustay: in the latest Forging The Realms column on the Wizards website, Ed revisits Kormul. So you DO have influence on the Creator of the Realms, scribes; keep posting, because he listens and heeds!

Edited by - The Hooded One on 13 Mar 2014 02:29:44
Go to Top of Page

HardKano
Learned Scribe

Canada
158 Posts

Posted - 13 Mar 2014 :  02:29:30  Show Profile  Visit HardKano's Homepage Send HardKano a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by The Hooded One

HardKano, I believe Ed is working with the gents who run theedverse.com on some means of providing signed books to those interested. I'll let you know more when I know more...
love,
THO

Yes I'm most interested. I have dealt with many authors of The Sundering to get the series autographed. Got great replies and its a work in progress.

Thanks for the answer

There is only one thing that will never change : Evolution

Edited by - HardKano on 13 Mar 2014 02:30:43
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 13 Mar 2014 :  02:31:56  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
HardKano, I notice you're from Canada. Do you ever attend Ad Astra or FanExpo (in the Toronto, Ontario area), or for that matter GenCon (Indianapolis)? If so, there might be a chance for meeting Ed in person for an autograph...
love,
THO
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 13 Mar 2014 :  02:34:41  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Oh, and one more thing from Ed.
Demzer, re. this: "A query slightly related to Markustay's musings: The Simbul's Gift takes place in 1368, the Spellplague hits in 1385, that's 17 years for the Simbul to get the Old Goat to finally give her a child, so, did she succeed? [I feel like any moment i can see an enormous block of granite with the words "NDA" etched on it falling on my head]"

. . . you would probably be wise to IMMEDIATELY take three running steps to one side. And then look up.
Because that NDA block is on its way down.
love,
THO
Go to Top of Page

HardKano
Learned Scribe

Canada
158 Posts

Posted - 13 Mar 2014 :  02:34:52  Show Profile  Visit HardKano's Homepage Send HardKano a Private Message
quote:

HardKano, I notice you're from Canada. Do you ever attend Ad Astra or FanExpo (in the Toronto, Ontario area), or for that matter GenCon (Indianapolis)? If so, there might be a chance for meeting Ed in person for an autograph...
love,
THO

Yeah Someday I'll go to FanExpo in Toronto. Not now because of some change in my life: good ones. And i'm also 9h from Toronto. I'll try to hit an airplane and be there a day or 2 with the cost and all :P I live in Sherbrooke, Quebec.

There is only one thing that will never change : Evolution

Edited by - HardKano on 13 Mar 2014 02:36:12
Go to Top of Page

Demzer
Senior Scribe

873 Posts

Posted - 13 Mar 2014 :  10:37:56  Show Profile Send Demzer a Private Message
Thanks for this barrage of Realmslore, Gracious Lady and Revered Master!

Now another query, let's start with the following 3 points for some context:
1 - Shaliim, Prince Royal of Lapaliiya (and later Overking of the same nation), went on an adventuring spree that started in Waterdeep and took him and his companions into another world, specifically a nation ruled by ancient and powerful black wyrms with human and dwarven slaves; [source: "current clack" in polyhedron 64]
2 - Arveiaturace had a day-long aerial battle with an airship and 12 young adult black dragons that popped out of a portal near her lair; [source: "Wyrms of the North" article on Arveiaturace]
3 - Raulothim witnessed the arrival of a spelljamming vessel through a portal near his lair; [source: "Wyrms of the North" article on Raulothim]
So, on to the questions:
Are 1, 2 and 3 related? Is the "veil between worlds" thinner in the Sword Coast North? Did one or all of the above mentioned events involve Abeiran beings (you know, all those dragons make me curious)? If yes on one or more counts, does this mean the "veil between Abeir and Toril" is/was thinner in the Sword Coast North? Can the reason be the pesky elven Sundering (that messed up Ao's fences dividing gods and primordials playgrounds?) Or maybe i should take off my tinfoil hat?
Go to Top of Page

Barastir
Master of Realmslore

Brazil
1600 Posts

Posted - 13 Mar 2014 :  13:55:40  Show Profile Send Barastir a Private Message
quote:

And hi again, all.
(...) Barastir, the Knights In Silver and the Spellguard are the elite "heavy hitters" of Silverymoon's defenders and expeditionary forces; the daily guards (...)

Thank you very very much, lovely Lady, and please extend my thanks to Ed, along with the best wishes for his wife's fast and complete recovery.

"Goodness is not a natural state, but must be
fought for to be attained and maintained.
Lead by example.
Let your deeds speak your intentions.
Goodness radiated from the heart."

The Paladin's Virtues, excerpt from the "Quentin's Monograph"
(by Ed Greenwood)
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 13 Mar 2014 :  14:38:36  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message
Oh, Markustay is doing 'the happy dance' right now (its not a pretty sight, trust me). Not only do I get a question answered - with a glimpse at Ed's 'FR secrets' - I also get not one but TWO new locations!!!

Sadly, I cannot add 'Far Shanooth' to any map (Osse, perhaps?), but a Ombraldar is near THE Utter East? Oh happy day!

I have the perfect spot for Ombraldar - the only, spot, really (tucked between the Ruined Kingdoms of Zakhara, and fallen Tempat Larang {Ronin Challenge, K-T 2e update}). I picture Shanooth being a place where there are laws against 'light escaping dwellings' at night (because that badly interferes with 'star-gazing').

As for Ed's busy schedule - please tell him to slow down... and he NEVER needs to apologize to any of us. I see his schedule on FB - he needs to learn to say no (to some projects). I don't even see how its humanly possible to do all that; they should rename Kicksarter 'Edstarter'.

Lastly, I was wondering if you (and through you, Ed) is aware of the discussion going on in this scroll, and was just curious about what thinks of all that. The thread is about a renewed Thay, but it has morphed into a 'bigger picture' type of thing concerning everything from Mysyryl through the ToT and the Spellplague, and what it all means (and who all the major players are). I realize just about any comment Ed could want to make would be NDA, but I do picture him making a face... is he smiling, or is he looking at that with consternation?

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Edited by - Markustay on 13 Mar 2014 14:40:29
Go to Top of Page

Eilserus
Master of Realmslore

USA
1446 Posts

Posted - 13 Mar 2014 :  15:07:30  Show Profile Send Eilserus a Private Message
quote:

And hello yet again, all (working my way through Ed's myriad small replies, here):

Eilserus, you've guessed right about Ombraldar and far Shanooth: they are indeed two cities that a Manshoon clone rules.
Both are walled port cities, beyond the Utter East (that is, south and east of what's been detailed on the maps). Ombraldar is a center for pottery and metal exports (i.e. the outlet and trading center for a region of mines), and there are many inhabited islands, large and small, near it. Shanooth is described as "far" because it's distant indeed (perhaps on another continent; Ed wouldn't say). What he did tell me of it was this:

Picture a city of high walls that often has clear night skies, and basks under the moon. Many of its inhabitants go about robed and cowled, and it is a city of learning and study of the stars and the world "outside" Toril (and spelljamming). All that most in Faerūn know of it is a phrase in an old poem: "The seers of Shanooth shun him, nor seek what he seeks." Those magically mighty of Shanooth at present dislike and work against chronomancy and attempts at time travel, preferring instead travel among worlds (worlds, not planes), and the energies that can be tapped across distances by those who know the right spells - - energies that are threatened by "reckless" attempts at movement through time.

So saith Ed. Sharing yet another glimpse of a hitherto-hidden facet of the Realms.
love,
THO

Edit: Kris the Grey, I quite forgot that this response unintentionally touches on your most recent question, too!

Thanks Ed and THO. I'm sorry to hear about your wife's injury Ed, prayers and well wishes to you both.
Go to Top of Page

Kris the Grey
Senior Scribe

USA
422 Posts

Posted - 13 Mar 2014 :  15:28:31  Show Profile Send Kris the Grey a Private Message
THO,

Thank you (and Ed) as always for the information!

I'd be curious about the contents of that 1986 screed (and other examples of specific Earth to Realms travel - particularly the 'who, when, and why' details) if Ed can in any way share them!

(I also hope his wife is doing better).

Kris the Grey - Member in Good Standing of the Watchful Order of Magists and Protectors, the Arcane Guild of Silverymoon, and the Connecticut Bar Association
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 13 Mar 2014 :  16:42:01  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Ed says thank you for your good wishes, Kris the Grey. (And he sends his sympathies for what Emma is going through right now.)
Sigh.

Markustay, Ed has indeed been following that thread and LOVING it. Your suspicion as to NDAs preventing him from saying much of anything is correct, but he did go this far:

Realms fans who pay attention to Larloch, and the colors of magic in my writings, and the notion that the details (or "storytelling tools," if you will) involved in all of this might just be planned are . . . wise. ;}
Some of the speculations posted in the thread are correct.
And finally, when writing a novel, the length and shape of the narrative must take precedence over the strong urge to "put every detail in." Dozens of skilled TSR and WotC editors over the years have gently kicked me into accepting this fact. So don't look to THE HERALD to explicitly answer everything raised in the thread - - but it WILL answer some crucial bits of what's been raised and hazarded.
Essential reading for all Realms fans, really. ;}
Our lovely Lady Hooded knows how deeply I've wanted to step into that thread and confirm this or deny that...but even if I had carte blanche to do so, it would ruin the fun. Every definite answer cuts down on speculation, and makes this or that DM FEEL restricted, even if they really aren't because it just takes a few sentences of dancing sideways to get around what's been carved in stone.
By way of giving you SOME sort of reward for putting so much together so brilliantly, let me say more about Ombraldar and Shanooth.
If you followed the coastline on south and east from the realms labeled "the Utter East," you would come to Ombraldar (and some other independent city-state ports dominating a forested interior). Shanooth is much farther off, and sea-separated from that coast - - and the original Manshoon discovered it by accident when exploring gates in the 1350s, loved its embrace of learning and study, and used it several times as a refuge. This irked Elminster and several fellow Harper mages, because they felt they could no longer use it as a refuge, for fear of encountering Manshoon in the streets and having him turn the city into one more battleground.
And let me just add that Manshoon has a deeper and richer story than we've yet seen, too.

So saith Ed. Who is hard at work - - but you knew that.
love to all,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Eltheron
Senior Scribe

740 Posts

Posted - 13 Mar 2014 :  18:01:10  Show Profile Send Eltheron a Private Message
quote:

Realms fans who pay attention to Larloch, and the colors of magic in my writings, and the notion that the details (or "storytelling tools," if you will) involved in all of this might just be planned are . . . wise. ;}

*Oooooooh*

quote:
If you followed the coastline on south and east from the realms labeled "the Utter East," you would come to Ombraldar (and some other independent city-state ports dominating a forested interior). Shanooth is much farther off, and sea-separated from that coast - - and the original Manshoon discovered it by accident when exploring gates in the 1350s, loved its embrace of learning and study, and used it several times as a refuge. This irked Elminster and several fellow Harper mages, because they felt they could no longer use it as a refuge, for fear of encountering Manshoon in the streets and having him turn the city into one more battleground.
And let me just add that Manshoon has a deeper and richer story than we've yet seen, too.

After reading this, is it weird that I suddenly had an image of the city of Logopolis from Dr. Who (last episode of the Tom Baker era) pop into my head?

Awesome and fun lore! Thank you Ed and THO for this, and the commentary on the other thread where we're debating magic types and Larloch's goals.

And I very much hope that Ed's wife feels better soon and fully recovers!

"The very best possible post-fourteenth-century Realms lets down those who love the specific, detailed social, political and magical situation, with its thousands of characters, developed over forty years, and want to learn more about it; and those who'd be open to a new one with equal depth, which there just isn't time to re-produce; and those repelled, some past the point of no return, by the bad-taste-and-plausibility gap of things done to the world when its guardianship was less careful."
--Faraer
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 13 Mar 2014 :  20:36:03  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message
Yes, Thank You, and our prayers are with you.

Hmmmmm... I keep forgetting Ed didn't have Zakhara. Those citystates must be close to the Yakirian empire, then (Dragon Magaazne #241... it had a map ) There is the little-known Yakmen citystate of Lipo there, where the Utter East meats Zakhara. Probably in Herne's Woods, just north of there (because you said they were in a forest, mostly).

Why is it answers from Ed always makes me want to revisit maps I have done.

EDIT: Damn... Ed can be so subtle sometimes! I just realized your/his answer implied the Harpers travel all over the world.

And Manshoon as well.

*Edited for errors

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Edited by - Markustay on 14 Mar 2014 20:16:48
Go to Top of Page

Eilserus
Master of Realmslore

USA
1446 Posts

Posted - 13 Mar 2014 :  21:46:10  Show Profile Send Eilserus a Private Message
Maybe in 5E after a bit they will be more open to Ed detailing some of these areas? Kind of like the Border Kingdoms? Ooh and with a Mike Schley map! ;)
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11686 Posts

Posted - 13 Mar 2014 :  23:34:36  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message
quote:

Hi again, all. Ed has been very busy these last few weeks (writing, dealing with severe winter weather where he dwells, and coping with the effects of a severe injury to his wife), and apologizes for his lengthy silences here at the Keep.
However, he HAS been reading all of your posts I've been ferrying him, when he can snatch the time, and has roused himself to make some replies.
Here's one of them:

dazzerdal and sleyvas, Tyr (known variously as "Achanatyr," "the Sword of Justice," "Arrtyr Judge Of All," and several other names (including Anachtyr), was indeed in the Jhaamdathi pantheon. And existed before that (so he's been around for at least FIVE thousand years). One small, secretive underground Tyrran cult that has existed down all those centuries (with some beholder worshippers as well as humans, and a sprinkling of elves who cleaved to rigid order) is veneration of Iltyr, the Blind But All-Seeing Eye (a huge weeping black [all pupil, no iris or sclera] eye that floats and flies about, trailing a small prehensile tail, and "speaks" boomingly in the minds of those near to it, discerning rights and intent and making judgements; very popular with individuals who desire a guide in life telling them precisely what the right thing to do is, whenever they seek moral guidance; there are secret worshippers of Iltyr among the nobility of Waterdeep and of Cormyr to this day, so if you ever find a curtained-off alcove in a nobles' mansion with a wall painting inside it that has any image that includes large, staring eyes that confront the viewer [or just one eye], you've found a private family chapel to Iltyr, something that's often explained away as "the only portrait we have of [[this or that illustrious ancestor]], but that very direct stare is disconcerting to everyone, so we keep it hidden away, just for us").

So saith Ed, illuminating a tiny glimpse of the dim past of the Realms.
love to all,
THO

I just gotta say.... that idea with a lawful minded floating blind eyeball with some kind of psychic/psionic ability..... wonderful.

Alavairthae, may your skill prevail

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

Eltheron
Senior Scribe

740 Posts

Posted - 14 Mar 2014 :  17:39:21  Show Profile Send Eltheron a Private Message
I am curious about Selūne's Tears, more specifically about the un-named castle in the center.

Can you tell us anything more about the castle, its name, or if anyone has managed to explore it? An older reference suggests that no one who has tried to explore it has ever returned. Is it still unexplored as of 1480 DR? Thanks!

"The very best possible post-fourteenth-century Realms lets down those who love the specific, detailed social, political and magical situation, with its thousands of characters, developed over forty years, and want to learn more about it; and those who'd be open to a new one with equal depth, which there just isn't time to re-produce; and those repelled, some past the point of no return, by the bad-taste-and-plausibility gap of things done to the world when its guardianship was less careful."
--Faraer
Go to Top of Page

Mapolq
Senior Scribe

Brazil
466 Posts

Posted - 14 Mar 2014 :  18:54:32  Show Profile Send Mapolq a Private Message
Thank you, THO and Ed, and my sympathies as well.

I'm one of the scribes speculating in that thread Markustay mentioned, so you've just made me more excited about the coming stories and other products.

Never sleep under the jackfruit tree.

Tales of Moonsea - A Neverwinter Nights 2 Persistent World. Check out our website at http://www.talesofmoonsea.com and our video trailer at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=am304WqOAAo&feature=youtu.be, as well as our thread here at Candlekeep: http://www.forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=12955

My campaign thread: http://www.forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=16447
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 14 Mar 2014 :  20:17:52  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Eilserus

Maybe in 5E after a bit they will be more open to Ed detailing some of these areas? Kind of like the Border Kingdoms? Ooh and with a Mike Schley map! ;)
YEAH....

I want them to Schley me.

Sorry... couldn't resist.

Go to Top of Page

Sunderstone
Learned Scribe

104 Posts

Posted - 14 Mar 2014 :  20:38:55  Show Profile Send Sunderstone a Private Message
Hi Ed and THO,

I just finished Death of the Dragon and had a couple of questions about the bannerguard Kolmin Stagblade. Was he part giant or have giant blood in his heritage or was he just a phenomenally big man.

Are bannerguard's typically chosen for their size? Was he from a prominent Cormyrian family?

Thanks
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 16 Mar 2014 :  21:33:21  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hello again, all.
Sunderstone, Ed tells me that Kolmin was a phenomenally large human (due to genetics, which MIGHT betoken giant blood in his heritage, way way back, or might not; is it does, it's so far back his family don't know about it). Many bannerguards are chosen for their large size and musculature, but they have to gain fighting skills and have the right temperment, too, to keep the position. Stagblade had the size, the disposition, and the skills.
No, he's not from a prominent Cormyrean family, he's one of the yeomen "just plain folks."
Who usually get overlooked in official histories and even in Realms fiction (though not, I've noticed, when the pen is in Ed's hands).
love,
THO
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 16 Mar 2014 :  21:34:18  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
And Markustay, dear, just keep those awful puns coming. We love them, Ed and I.
love,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Demzer
Senior Scribe

873 Posts

Posted - 16 Mar 2014 :  22:48:23  Show Profile Send Demzer a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Sunderstone
Are bannerguard's typically chosen for their size?

Just to reinforce what our gracious THO said, once i was speaking with an expert of medieval swordmanship and the subject of two handed swords (big claymores and the like) use in organized europeans armies came up, he told me bannerguards were usually the only one employing such massive swords (and were chosen to do it based on their size) because they didn't need to fight 1 on 1 with enemies in close quarter fights (where the weight, slowness and reach of the blades would be hindrances) but their role was to keep throngs of enemies away from them (and the banner) long enough to let their comrades come to their aid. Thus they were required to be massive men swinging massive pieces of iron/steel more to discourage the enemy from getting near than to actually slay a large number of them.
Go to Top of Page

xaeyruudh
Master of Realmslore

USA
1853 Posts

Posted - 17 Mar 2014 :  20:14:35  Show Profile  Visit xaeyruudh's Homepage Send xaeyruudh a Private Message
Hi Ed, hope your Lady is doing better and everything is going well!

This is a woefully elementary (and scattered) question, but when "Scribe of Cormyr" is used as a title or identifier --I'm looking at the list of books of the Realms-- is it referring to a class of professional and/or public-sector jobs (like "administrative assistant" in our world), or is it a completely informal way of identifying anyone who writes stuff and may or may not find a way to occasionally get paid for it (like our columnists or bloggers)?

In case you want to add anything specific about individuals, these are the "scribes of Cormyr" from the list:
Chelm Vandor
Kastor
Kirkabey
Lodevin Parkar
Magus Firewand (Is Magus his name or a job title? If it's a title, is that a rank in the War Wizards, or a generic honorific for non-enlisted casters?)

There's also Glasgert Himlothrith, Scribe of Iriaebor, and Glarthlyn, Scribe of Silverymoon, so the same question applies to scribes of those thrones too.

Thank you!
Go to Top of Page

Cards77
Senior Scribe

USA
745 Posts

Posted - 18 Mar 2014 :  16:44:31  Show Profile Send Cards77 a Private Message
quote:

And I'm back yet again, this time with an answer for Marco Volo, re. this: "I know Eilistraee has some worshippers dwelling in the surface of the Realms, but I was wandering if such followers "proselytize" or do things for the clergy of the Dark Maiden to be known?"
Ed responds:

Worshippers of the Dark Dancer vary just as the worshippers of all other deities do when considered en masse, but in general, no, those who venerate Eilistraee most (i.e. before all the other deities they believe in) do NOT proselytize. Theirs is a personal and private belief far more than it is a public, bold, involved-in-politics worship.

love,
THO

Interesting. I'm reading the War of the Spider Queen series atm. In book 5, the enclave of Eliastree that exists near House Jaerle in Cormanthor does indeed send priestesses back to the Underdark to "spread the word". Sounds like a suicide mission to me
Go to Top of Page

Sunderstone
Learned Scribe

104 Posts

Posted - 19 Mar 2014 :  19:54:10  Show Profile Send Sunderstone a Private Message
quote:

Hello again, all.
Sunderstone, Ed tells me that Kolmin was a phenomenally large human (due to genetics, which MIGHT betoken giant blood in his heritage, way way back, or might not; is it does, it's so far back his family don't know about it). Many bannerguards are chosen for their large size and musculature, but they have to gain fighting skills and have the right temperment, too, to keep the position. Stagblade had the size, the disposition, and the skills.
No, he's not from a prominent Cormyrean family, he's one of the yeomen "just plain folks."
Who usually get overlooked in official histories and even in Realms fiction (though not, I've noticed, when the pen is in Ed's hands).
love,
THO

Thank you Ed and THO. :-)
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 29 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000