Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Chamber of Sages
 Questions for Ed Greenwood (2014)
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 29

Sunderstone
Learned Scribe

104 Posts

Posted - 19 Mar 2014 :  20:00:12  Show Profile Send Sunderstone a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Demzer

quote:
Originally posted by Sunderstone
Are bannerguard's typically chosen for their size?

Just to reinforce what our gracious THO said, once i was speaking with an expert of medieval swordmanship and the subject of two handed swords (big claymores and the like) use in organized europeans armies came up, he told me bannerguards were usually the only one employing such massive swords (and were chosen to do it based on their size) because they didn't need to fight 1 on 1 with enemies in close quarter fights (where the weight, slowness and reach of the blades would be hindrances) but their role was to keep throngs of enemies away from them (and the banner) long enough to let their comrades come to their aid. Thus they were required to be massive men swinging massive pieces of iron/steel more to discourage the enemy from getting near than to actually slay a large number of them.

Thanks Demzer. That actually sounds like one of the scenes from the book. I think a noble was addressing Azoun in an excitable manner but he had his bannerguard present who was so large that the noble who was on horseback still had to look upwards to Kolmin who on foot towered even higher and was wielding huge battle axe. In this instance it seems his presence was used in keeping space between nobles and the personal space of the King.
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One
Lady Herald of Realmslore

5056 Posts

Posted - 20 Mar 2014 :  17:53:42  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hello again, all.
xaeyruudh, when "Scribe of Cormyr" is used as a title or identifier, Ed tells me it refers to "a class of professional and/or public-sector jobs (like "administrative assistant" in our world" who have managed to write and publish works that have been "accepted" by the Court (Cormyr's civil servants) as accurate enough to be kept on record - - usually because the writer is a Court scribe, and because they reference clashing opinions, not just "one side" of any dispute.
And we'll have to wait for Ed to say more about your list of individuals, but I can say that "Magus" in "Magus Firewand" is his name.
love,
THO
Go to Top of Page

xaeyruudh
Master of Realmslore

USA
1853 Posts

Posted - 21 Mar 2014 :  14:42:37  Show Profile  Visit xaeyruudh's Homepage Send xaeyruudh a Private Message
Thank you! And I have another.

"Zatan Arrowswift, Herald of Athkatla" is the author of Magics of the South, circa 1038 DR. Was he one of the Heralds, and thus a Harper, or was the Herald of Athkatla a separate office at that time?

Regarding the title of Athkatla's Herald, which stars are being referenced?
Go to Top of Page

Seravin
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1265 Posts

Posted - 21 Mar 2014 :  15:38:27  Show Profile Send Seravin a Private Message
Hi THO,

Maybe this has been dealt with many times before, but a common topic at the Keep is the nature of goblinoids and whether they are inherently evil beings or just misunderstood products of their culture. With the latest RAS book "Night of the Hunter" the characters weigh in heavily on this question in relation to the Kingdom of Many-Arrows, and conclude that gobliniods and orcs are evil and need to be slaughtered pretty much on sight. This is the Mielikki's vision in any case presented through Catti-Brie and Bruenor. Does Ed's vision of the Realms believe that goblinoids are truly inherently evil, incapable of peaceful trading or laws/justice, deserving no quarter from "good" folk, or would he have peaceful orc or goblin kingdoms somewhere in his Realms?

Apologies if this has been answered before.

Edited by - Seravin on 21 Mar 2014 15:38:51
Go to Top of Page

Infamous
Acolyte

42 Posts

Posted - 21 Mar 2014 :  23:16:31  Show Profile Send Infamous a Private Message
My birthday came and went without presents of any kind -- bummer -- but I thought I could ask for another kind of gift:

Maybe Ed can delight us all with some shocking Realmslore bit he has been waiting to tell everyone but we, clueless mortals, never figured to ask? Some non-NDA stuff? It does not hurt to ask.
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 22 Mar 2014 :  01:38:00  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Heh. Infamous, I turned around and e-prodded Ed to answer your request, and he came back with this:

Whew. So much I'd love to share is NDA. So how about this?

Before she married Azoun IV and became Queen of Cormyr, Filfaeril spent almost a month, one summer, as an adventurer, under an assumed name, to "see the world." With the full though covert approval of her family elders (though they sent along a hired adventurer-mage to try to see that she came to no harm).
Harpers also watched over her, unbeknownst to her, and as it happened, she didn't come to any harm. Though for the rest of her life she had a deep terror of beholders and illithids, for very good reasons . . . not to mention a tendency to blush whenever she saw Elminster.
This escapade caused Vangey a few moments of consternation later, because he assumed that when a young and beautiful unwed female noble drops out of a sight for a month, she's quietly having a baby - - and if it survived, such a child would be very much an "unwanted complication" for a Queen of Cormyr.
Filfaeril also had more than a few moments of adventure after she became Queen, of the scrambling along eavesdropping on Suzailan rooftops with a knife in her teeth and a backup knife in her garters . . . moments that enraged Vangerdahast but delighted Azoun. And then there was the duel between two noble matriarchs that she interrupted, stopped, and then had to best (at arms) BOTH mortified and infuriated matriarchs to truly put an end to . . . oh, there's much more about our Queen Fee I could tell, but won't yet, because it would be SO much better to tell at the right place, time, and manner.
So mayhap I should tell you instead about some of Manshoon's hidden offspring? (Nothing to do with Fee, I hasten to add.)
Or perhaps not. ;}

So saith Ed. Hoping that helps by way of a present, Infamous. Ed is frantically busy right now, but hopefully he'll have time to share more, eventually...
love,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Infamous
Acolyte

42 Posts

Posted - 22 Mar 2014 :  02:05:50  Show Profile Send Infamous a Private Message
Gasp!

I must say ED is one of the MOST GENEROUS human beings I have ever come across. I'm sure THO will agree.

Much love.

Infamous.
Go to Top of Page

xaeyruudh
Master of Realmslore

USA
1853 Posts

Posted - 22 Mar 2014 :  02:28:41  Show Profile  Visit xaeyruudh's Homepage Send xaeyruudh a Private Message
Happy belated birthday Infamous!

And I agree that Ed is extraordinarily generous. Evidenced by his presence and elucidations here over the last 10 years, and on a mailing list for some time.

I'm curious about this hired mage. Was he/she already a family friend, or did they become one? Any later involvement with the Court?
Go to Top of Page

Infamous
Acolyte

42 Posts

Posted - 22 Mar 2014 :  02:48:25  Show Profile Send Infamous a Private Message

I should add that Ed's generosity extends to people he obviously has no reason to like. I have seen him being extremely courteous toward other people (or other people's ideas even) when he had no reason to other than genuine kindness.

Great man, this Ed. So saith I.
Go to Top of Page

xaeyruudh
Master of Realmslore

USA
1853 Posts

Posted - 22 Mar 2014 :  23:59:59  Show Profile  Visit xaeyruudh's Homepage Send xaeyruudh a Private Message
In the old and wonderful 2e Drow of the Underdark, there's a list of drow cities. Erelhei-Cinlu is on the list, which implies that the list is not entirely limited to Toril. I'm hoping that as many as possible are in the Realms, though.

As far as I can tell, the following cities haven't been mentioned in Realmslore to date. I poked the scribes in this other thread, and George says I'm not missing anything. I'm hoping that you can confirm that they are, or are not, in our Underdark.

Abaethaggar, Abburth, Baereghel, Charrvhel'raugaust, Cheth Rrhinn, Faneadar, Haundrauth, Ithilaughym, Luihaulen'tar, Orlytlar, Sshanntynlan, Szithlin, Tyrybblyn, Uluitur, Undraeth, Waethe Hlammachar, Yuethindrynn

Edit: An addendum, regarding the FOR2 list. Is Llurth Dreier or Llurth Dreir the correct spelling?

Edit: Asharak pointed me to Undraeth.

Edited by - xaeyruudh on 23 Mar 2014 15:49:00
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 23 Mar 2014 :  01:09:04  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by xaeyruudh

Edit: An addendum, regarding the FOR2 list. Is Llurth Dreier or Llurth Dreir the correct spelling?

I think it's actually Lurlth Dreir.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6641 Posts

Posted - 25 Mar 2014 :  00:15:05  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message
Having just bought a mint, shrink-wrapped copy of the 'Endless Stair' module for an exorbitant amount of money, I was wondering whether Ed could "Realmsify" it? If it was set in the Realms, where would it be located and can he tell us more about the mages mentioned in it - is the Ulthorn any relation to the Ulthorn mentioned in one of Ed's Pages From the Mages articles? The Book of Daimos as I recall. Any information would be great.

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 25 Mar 2014 :  03:44:40  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:
Originally posted by xaeyruudh

I think it's actually Lurlth Dreir.

And confirmed by Eric Boyd, too, in a rather humorous discussion back in '06.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Jeremy Grenemyer
Great Reader

USA
2717 Posts

Posted - 25 Mar 2014 :  07:43:51  Show Profile Send Jeremy Grenemyer a Private Message
Well Again, THO and Ed,

Today a friend sent me a link on Facebook to an article about a book that opens six different ways.

It was a variant of the dos-a-dos binding method, and was made in Germany in the 1600s.

I have to admit to never having seen anything quite like this.

Ed can you please talk a little about dos-à-dos, tête-bêche and other forms of bookbinding in the Realms?

I'm also curios to know if there are books in the Realms that alone are their own book, but that can be attached at the spine to one or more other books and then magically transform into a whole and complete other book? If yes, is there a common name for these kinds of books?

Thank you both, as always.

Look for me and my content at EN World (user name: sanishiver).
Go to Top of Page

xaeyruudh
Master of Realmslore

USA
1853 Posts

Posted - 25 Mar 2014 :  22:24:30  Show Profile  Visit xaeyruudh's Homepage Send xaeyruudh a Private Message
In Elminster's Everwinking Eye of Polyhedron 140, concerning Ondeeme, Ghuldribrand Mroster spoke to Volo in the Year of the Arch -- 1353 DR.

The "realm" of Phaeradur fell with the slaying of Athalric by one Ondeeme, who then created his own realm and oh-so-humbly named it after himself... in 1360.

How is it that Ghuldribrand talks about Ondeemans before the realm was founded?

I stand equally prepared to humbly admit my misunderstanding or enjoy a goodnatured ribbing.

Regarding this quote, in issue 143:

"Swords are sent racing across the land as if invasions are imminent, the Slee seem driven as if by a dark and onrushing fate only they can see..."

Would I be missing the mark if I reinterpreted the bolded parts to "preparations are underway" and "guiding will"?

(On a lighter note, that book sounds crazyawesome, Jeremy!)
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 26 Mar 2014 :  02:23:25  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Heh. That 1360 DR date was a mistaken editorial "fix" (it should read 1260 DR). For everything else, we must await Ed's response. (And boy, is he busy just now.)
love,
THO
Go to Top of Page

xaeyruudh
Master of Realmslore

USA
1853 Posts

Posted - 26 Mar 2014 :  05:41:51  Show Profile  Visit xaeyruudh's Homepage Send xaeyruudh a Private Message
Ohh. That dashes my ribbing hopes doesn't it. Much eager anticipation of everything he's working on.
Go to Top of Page

althen artren
Senior Scribe

USA
780 Posts

Posted - 27 Mar 2014 :  22:33:01  Show Profile Send althen artren a Private Message
Been a long time folks, nice to speak to all you again.

This might be a outside your strike zone Ed, but you have a rep of being
generous with the little ones so I thought I would ask you a couple things.

My daughter (age 8) is fascinated with the idea of being a kids book author, to that
end she would like to speak to a real author. Some of her questions:
1)How do little kids like her find a good publisher, or one that will actually take her serious?

2) What are the best subjects kid authors can write about and have a shot of getting a publisher's
attention?

3)She is stuck in a rut, what would you suggest to get her out?

4)What kind of illustrator should I look for for her?

5) Do you know any children's authors that might be willing to correspond with her?

And a question for me to the folks in general, has anybody seen Ed answer one of my questions in the last 2 years? I've been so focused on RW things that appear dangerous to me that Realms stuff has taken a distant back seat.
Go to Top of Page

crazedventurers
Master of Realmslore

United Kingdom
1073 Posts

Posted - 29 Mar 2014 :  17:00:27  Show Profile  Visit crazedventurers's Homepage Send crazedventurers a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by The Hooded One

Heh. Infamous, I turned around and e-prodded Ed to answer your request, and he came back with this:

Whew. So much I'd love to share is NDA. So how about this?

Before she married Azoun IV and became Queen of Cormyr, Filfaeril spent almost a month, one summer, as an adventurer, under an assumed name, to "see the world." With the full though covert approval of her family elders (though they sent along a hired adventurer-mage to try to see that she came to no harm).

WOW many many thanks for the Fee lore.

I would like to know more about what happened after Fee's death. We know that Azoun had a mighty send off and the public (generally) mourned the loss of their King (to the point of taking it out on an unfortunate Sembite merchant) - would Fee's death have had the same effect on the general populace?

Similarly what did the nobles think? good riddance? weeping and sobbing, or lets start to get our hooks into the new Azoun? (I suspect a bit of all three). Am wondering how the court carried on with Fee to keep them all in check etc

My questions are quite expansive as the ongoing campaign has finally hit the year Fee passes away and I would like to add a bit more colour to her funeral and the aftermath of her passing for my excellent players whose characters are shocked and saddened by her passing and somewhat apprehensive about how their positions will change in the 'pecking order' now their patron/protector/mentor has gone.

Many thanks

Damian

So saith Ed. I've never said he was sane, have I?
Gods, all this writing and he's running a constant fantasy version of Coronation Street in his head, too. .
shudder,
love to all,
THO
Candlekeep Forum 7 May 2005
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 01 Apr 2014 :  00:03:56  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hi again, all.
crazedventurers, Ed would LOVE to give you a long, newsy, richly detailed answer on the passing of Queen Fee, but sadly, NDAs are standing sternly in the way of that. So for now, about all he can manage is this:

Hi, Damian. Your suspicion as to "a bit of all three" is correct, but I can say the genuine mourning was stronger than other reactions, because Filfaeril represented calm stability and was beloved of the commoners, so she made the royal house and nobility look good, and "set the rules" so to speak. So courtiers, nobles, and just plain citizens all worried about what sort of powder keg might immediately erupt re. the cohesiveness of the Realm without her presence on the scene.
However, in the interests of buying time for your campaign, I can tell you that after the state funeral (and genuine widespread grief, of the "profound sadness" sort), there followed a period of quiet, wherein everyone wondered when the realm would erupt in strife...and nothing happened.
I WISH I could tell you more, but not yet. Definitely not yet. Sigh.

So saith Ed. Who fully understands why there have to be NDAs, but sometimes profoundly regrets their necessity. This is one of those times.
love to all,
THO
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 01 Apr 2014 :  00:07:13  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hi AGAIN, all.
George, Ed tells me there's actually a super-secret (and of course NDA) file, dating from BC times (Before [[personal]] Computers), that details exactly how to "Realmsify" CM8. He'll have to hunt for it, to rephrase it so he can share without blowing up any NDAs, but yes, he can confirm that the two mentions of Ulthorn refer to one and the same wizard.
More as soon as he can manage it.
love,
THO
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 01 Apr 2014 :  00:16:28  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
And it's Public Service Announcement time again!
Ed is, as usual, attending Ad Astra, Canada's longest running sf convention (also contains fantasy, horror, gaming, steampunk, cosplay, anime, and all the related fandoms, from Trek and Star Wars and Marvel movies and Game of Thrones to furry).
This year, it's at the Sheraton Parkway North in Markham, Ontario (N side of Hwy 7 between Leslie and West Beaver Creek Dr, two long block west of the interchange of Hwy 404 (the northern extension of the Don Valley Parkway) and Hwy 7, north of Toronto, Ontario, Canada - - starting mid-day-ish Friday, April 4th and ending late Sunday April 6th. (Details at AdAstra.org or "Ad Astra 2014" on Facebook)
Want to hear noted bibliophile Peter Halasz, bestselling fantasy author Steven Erikson, and Ed discuss epic fantasy? (midday Saturday) Want to have brunch with Ed (Guest of Honour brunch 10-noon Sunday)? Or attend all sorts of panels or just hang out with Ed? This is your chance...WITHOUT the lineups of GenCon! :}
Ed also hopes to attend GenCon, FanExpo in Toronto (end of August), GrandCon in Grand Rapids Michigan in September, Phantasm in Peterborough, Gamehole in Madison, Wisconsin Novemeber 7-9th, and some other cons, too, but his wife's health dictates everything these days...
love to all,
THO

Edited by - The Hooded One on 01 Apr 2014 00:17:20
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 01 Apr 2014 :  00:44:44  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
And it seems I'm not done yet!
This just popped up in my inbox, for althen artren, and BTW, I recall Ed answering several of your queries in the last few years):

Heh. To your daughter: Well met! I'm a real author, though some days I feel more real than others.
I'll have a stab at answering your questions, and please feel free to ask more (and ask me about these answers, too).
1)"How do little kids like her find a good publisher, or one that will actually take her serious?"
I honestly don't know. There are good publishers of books for children, notably Candlewick in the USA and Kids Can Press and Annick Press in Canada, but I've never known any secrets to making publishers take ME seriously. I DO know that anyone under the legal age of majority in the jurisdiction where the publisher's head office is located will have to have a parent or guardian sign contracts on their behalf. I started publishing when I was six, but my parents were both involved in Canada's book industry...and both my parents are dead now, and so are almost all the people they dealt with, so the industry has changed so much that the connections that helped me back then no longer exist.
Anonymous submissions are a no-no, but nowhere do you have to advertise your age on the submission (though many people do, if they think being really young or really old is a selling point). Unless you are already a celebrity, your STORY is what will make the publisher interested, anyway; if they love it and want to publish it, THEN you can tell them you're eight years old.

2)"What are the best subjects kid authors can write about and have a shot of getting a publisher's attention?"
Not non-fiction, because unless it's a "what it feels like to be a kid" story, publishers generally figure someone who's young can't be an expert yet, and they like to publish "experts."
As for made-up stories: all sorts of short, gripping stories can get published, and the trick is to make them interesting to read. A funny story is always a winner, if it's human-nature funny and not nasty funny (put downs), but look at RECENT childrens' books to see what publishers have decided to publish. If you can do a story like those BUT not too close to any of those, you stand a good chance.

3)"She is stuck in a rut, what would you suggest to get her out?"
Do something different. Go on an outing, try something you've never tried before (met a horse up close and personal? examined a toilet to see HOW it works?) And go to the local library and pick three completely unfamiliar books by three different authors, and read them. Read, read, read. The next time you're out shopping or somewhere else (besides school) that has lots of different people together in one place, listen to them, especially older people, without stopping and staring or obviously eavesdropping. Look and listen, and try to imagine what they did in their lives to get them to be the way they are today. And then try to imagine something completely weird, like one of your teachers sticking a lightbulb against their ear and it suddenly lighting up, and just try to imagine what would happen next, and write it down.
Write different things. Read, read, read, and then write, write, write. You can get better at almost everything by doing it over and over again.
And take a story you've already written and write it over again, only this time with pirates!

4)"What kind of illustrator should I look for for her?"
Finding them can be a toughie, though websites like deviant art allow you a chance to see peoples' artwork more easily than ever before. Any writer should be friends with their illustrator, though that doesn't mean they have to work closely together or the artist has to do what the writer tells them to do. I really mean: you should think the artist could be your friend, and that you can trust them.
It helps if you love their work, too!

5)"Do you know any children's authors that might be willing to correspond with her?"
Well, there's me. ;} (I'll have an ebook of seven childrens' stories, most of them fantasy tales, out by the end of the year.) Most authors who write for children I knew well enough to ask are dead now, because I was most interested in their work when I was young, and I'm over fifty now, and they were older than me, so the inevitable march of time has taken their pens and airbrushes away from us. Dean Morressey, who did a few DRAGON covers, went on to do some kids' picture books, and of course Tony DiTerlizzi illustrated the Spiderwick Chronicles with Holly Black. Ted Naifeh and several other comic book artists have done recent kids' books.
However, I'll ask around!

So saith Ed. Who wants you to know that this is just a first stab at answering these questions; you and your daughter should feel free to ask more!
love,
THO
Go to Top of Page

xaeyruudh
Master of Realmslore

USA
1853 Posts

Posted - 01 Apr 2014 :  05:17:16  Show Profile  Visit xaeyruudh's Homepage Send xaeyruudh a Private Message
I love it when Ed responds to authors, and to kids, and both at the same time is even better! Best of luck to your daughter althen artren, and welcome back.

The Lost Tharkul of Thar, which Wooly has already sent us to read, has much to love. Lore I haven't seen before, and adventure leads! There's one space that's confusing me:

quote:
many believe he vanished with them because he heard and obeyed the voices of the ancestors, and so should be blamed for what he did.

That read "should not be blamed" right? Seems to make sense that way.
Go to Top of Page

crazedventurers
Master of Realmslore

United Kingdom
1073 Posts

Posted - 01 Apr 2014 :  18:45:55  Show Profile  Visit crazedventurers's Homepage Send crazedventurers a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by The Hooded One

Hi again, all.
Hi, Damian. Your suspicion as to "a bit of all three" is correct, but I can say the genuine mourning was stronger than other reactions, because Filfaeril represented calm stability and was beloved of the commoners, so she made the royal house and nobility look good, and "set the rules" so to speak.

Ed, many thanks for carefully dancing around the NDA to give us all a snippet of Fee and what her passing meant to Cormyr and its people.

Its a great place to start with and fits nicely into what I have planned, lots of gossip and rumour-mongering and false start 'rebellions' after her death (as no one is quite sure whether they actually have enough personal power and/or backing to make a bid for the throne/ random title / that piece of nice farmland 'over there' etc)

Of course, being clever and inquisitive players, my group might just set a small spark to one of the small powder kegs to see who the real enemies of the Crown are and 'ahem' deal with them appropriately (that's what happens when you are known in Court as the "Crowns Hatchet Men")

Best to all

Damian

So saith Ed. I've never said he was sane, have I?
Gods, all this writing and he's running a constant fantasy version of Coronation Street in his head, too. .
shudder,
love to all,
THO
Candlekeep Forum 7 May 2005
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 01 Apr 2014 :  21:58:39  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Heh. LOVE that, Damian.
And xaeyruudh, you're correct. It should read "should not be blamed." Gremlins working overtime again, I see...
love,
THO

Edited by - The Hooded One on 01 Apr 2014 21:59:51
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 01 Apr 2014 :  23:38:20  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message
This is sort-of a self-plug. The question I will ask may have been better-suited to PMs, but this is one of those 'bask in the moment' things for me, so I want to share it with the world. Right now I am involved in three different professional game projects, one of which I am doing all the maps for (including many of a type no-one has really seen me do before). Its really Dalor Darden's 'baby', but I do have some input on the lore side as well (more of a 'brain-storming' aspect). Here's the thing - I just found out Jeff Easley is going to be the other artist on the project. Needless to say, I am both floored and intimidated. Thats like finding out the 'other guy' on a setting-project is Ed Greenwood....

And then it struck me. What could possibly be better then a Jeff Easley cover? A Jeff Easley cover with a Forward by Ed Greenwood! Could I possibly persuade you to say a few kind words (only if you feel its true) if and when its time to publish? I understand how busy your schedule is, which is why I won't ask for more then that, and you'll have plenty of time before its ready (and hopefully a tiny bit of free time to do so, which I am actually loathe to ask you for, knowing how little you have).

And thank you for all the great lore, both in this thread & others, and over the years. I know I am not the only one you've inspired to create their own worlds.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 02 Apr 2014 :  18:33:28  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Heh. A "forward" or a "foreword"?
I relayed your post to Ed, and he fired right back:

Of course! I'd be delighted! I've seen hints of this thanks to the Facebook groups I'm a part of (the big Jeff Easley announcement certainly caught my eye). I am proud to have a tiny (monster illo) Jeff original hanging on my walls at home, and I love your maps, Markustay (yes, Mike Schley's, too, of course, but I have long admired your patient stitching and fixing of the constantly-morphing Realms maps).
So hit me via the lovely Lady Hooded whenever...

So saith Ed!
love,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Dalor Darden
Great Reader

USA
4211 Posts

Posted - 02 Apr 2014 :  18:44:29  Show Profile Send Dalor Darden a Private Message
That is AMAZING Ed! Thanks THO for relaying that.

I'm simply floored and think it is awesome...not sure what to say or even how to say it!

The Old Grey Box and AD&D for me!
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 02 Apr 2014 :  18:51:41  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message
"Squeeeeeeeeee"

FOREWORD:
I used to be good at spelling - I think spell-checker has ruined me, If I don't 'see red', I just assume everything is correct.
I am also a 2-finger typist, which doesn't help. Thats what I get for cheating in typing class back in HS (I'd switch to 2-finger whenever the teacher wasn't looking, because I was faster at it).

As for the world itself, Dalor knows more (of course) but its a flat world, a'la diskworld, and is very 'mythic' in nature (so more 'folk-lorish', and gods are real, and INVOLVED).

Kinda like FR.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Edited by - Markustay on 02 Apr 2014 18:54:54
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 29 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000