Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Locations of Mythals & Weave tears
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

unseenmage
Seeker

61 Posts

Posted - 04 Dec 2013 :  03:54:34  Show Profile Send unseenmage a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
I'm trying to map all of the Mythals and tears in the Weave up to the end of D&D3.5.
Is there already a map of these things somewhere?

I have found a list of Mythals in Magic of Faerun. Is there a similar list of Weave tears somewhere?

Flying monkeys will eat your eyes.

The Arcanamach
Master of Realmslore

1847 Posts

Posted - 04 Dec 2013 :  04:31:05  Show Profile Send The Arcanamach a Private Message  Reply with Quote
There isn't a comprehensive list of either that I'm aware of at this time. Keep in mind that many locations had their wards upgraded to mythal status in 3e (which I did not agree with as it conflicted with some prior lore). I think many of the wild/dead magic zones have been repaired over the years (likely by the creatures known as shadowstaves or by the servants of Mystra known as weavespinners...both found in the Magister source book).

I have a dream that one day, all game worlds will exist as one.
Go to Top of Page

unseenmage
Seeker

61 Posts

Posted - 06 Dec 2013 :  06:28:23  Show Profile Send unseenmage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It is unfortunate that a truly comprehensive list isn't to be had.

Can anyone tell me how complete the list found in the 3.0 Magic of Faerun book is or isn't?

Go to Top of Page

hashimashadoo
Master of Realmslore

United Kingdom
1150 Posts

Posted - 06 Dec 2013 :  10:34:41  Show Profile  Visit hashimashadoo's Homepage Send hashimashadoo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Are you counting the so-called 'wizard mythals' that The Arcanamach mentioned? I don't think anyone has a truly comprehensive list so I'd need to research it (however the computer with my research materials on it needs to be fixed first so it'll take some time). All I can say for certain is that the list is NOT complete.

Edit: Fixed my computer. Managed to knock out a power cable while cleaning the thing.

When life turns it's back on you...sneak attack for extra damage.

Head admin of the FR wiki:

https://forgottenrealms.fandom.com/

Edited by - hashimashadoo on 06 Dec 2013 13:02:35
Go to Top of Page

unseenmage
Seeker

61 Posts

Posted - 07 Dec 2013 :  13:02:12  Show Profile Send unseenmage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
As I primarily play 3E with 3E books? Yeah they should probably be counted for my purposes.

Go to Top of Page

Alruane
Senior Scribe

USA
434 Posts

Posted - 07 Dec 2013 :  17:51:41  Show Profile Send Alruane a Private Message  Reply with Quote
If anyone did have a list, I'd be amazed really.

" I wonder if you are destined to be forgotten. Will your life fade in the shadow of greater beings?"
~Joneleth Irenicus

"Wisdom? My dear boy, wisdom is knowing that you do not know everything. Wisdom is realizing, a wise man ALWAYS has questions. Not answers."

~Alruane
Go to Top of Page

hashimashadoo
Master of Realmslore

United Kingdom
1150 Posts

Posted - 09 Dec 2013 :  13:18:46  Show Profile  Visit hashimashadoo's Homepage Send hashimashadoo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
This is almost certainly not a complete list but it's the best I could come up with in a short time. Apologies for how long it took me to post it.

* Wood of Sharp Teeth – See below
* Coryselmal – Failed entirely
* Dracorage Mythal - Destroyed (unless Sammaster comes back)
* Elven Court – Intact?
* Evereska - Intact
* Herald's Holdfast – Wizard mythal. Intact
* Myth Adofhaer - Unknown. Probably intact
* Myth Drannor – Restored after being corrupted
* Myth Dyraalis - Intact
* Myth Glaurach – Intact but possibly weakened
* Myth Iiscar – Destroyed?
* Myth Lharast – Divinely repurposed
* Myth Nantar - Intact
* Myth Ondath - Destroyed
* Myth Rhynn - Corrupted
* Myth Unnohyr – Corrupted
* Mythralan (on Arvandor) - Intact
* Shoonach – Wizard mythal. Corrupted?
* Silverymoon – Wizard mythal. Intact
* Undermountain – Near-mythal. Intact

Underneath the Wood of Sharp Teeth (known as Askalvar to the elves), is said to be a laboratory where the avatar of the little-known elven god of mythals, Mythrien Sarath, worked on an artefact that would increase his powers. Unfortunately, a surprise attack by Malar meant that the artefact was lost and Mythrien's avatar became trapped somewhere underneath the laboratory. The god of mythals' avatar likely has some sort of mythal-related magic about him.

There are supposed to be 4 known 'wizard mythals' but there is some debate as to what constitutes a wizard mythal so only 3 have been listed here.

Edited by - hashimashadoo on 09 Dec 2013 13:20:09
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11809 Posts

Posted - 09 Dec 2013 :  14:13:15  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
just wondering, because I'm not sure where all of these are, but would it be safe to say that anywhere there is a high concentration of elves... there's also a mythal?

Alavairthae, may your skill prevail

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

hashimashadoo
Master of Realmslore

United Kingdom
1150 Posts

Posted - 09 Dec 2013 :  14:31:33  Show Profile  Visit hashimashadoo's Homepage Send hashimashadoo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
That's a good rule of thumb

As for Weave tears:

* Anauroch Desert - see below
* Brynwood (in the Vast) - still there
* Helmlands (near Arabel) - still there
* Shadow Plane version of the Vast Swamp (known as Whispermere) - fixed
* Shadowdale - fixed
* Tantras - still there
* lots of insignificant ones I couldn't possibly list all over Faerun

The shadovar managed to use Shade's mythallar to make only the Shadow Weave function within the borders of the desert (above ground at least) in 1374 DR

Edited by - hashimashadoo on 09 Dec 2013 14:36:38
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36798 Posts

Posted - 09 Dec 2013 :  15:57:13  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by hashimashadoo

* Silverymoon – Wizard mythal. Intact

I want to note that in 1E and 2E, Silverymoon did not have a mythal. Silverymoon's mythal was one of the many retcons of 3E.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 09 Dec 2013 :  16:35:10  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
WHO was responsible for 3e?! They must be stopped!!!

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Go to Top of Page

hashimashadoo
Master of Realmslore

United Kingdom
1150 Posts

Posted - 09 Dec 2013 :  17:21:12  Show Profile  Visit hashimashadoo's Homepage Send hashimashadoo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, wizard mythals aren't actual mythals, they are just mythal-like effects. It's not called the Silverymoon Mythal, it's still called the Wards of Silverymoon. Much like Aghairon's Dragonward. That'd probably count as a wizard mythal, it's just never been referred to as such in a source.

Go to Top of Page

Eilserus
Master of Realmslore

USA
1446 Posts

Posted - 09 Dec 2013 :  17:34:39  Show Profile Send Eilserus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The list of mostly elven cities tells me we need to start seeing some Dwarven Rune Magic Mythal like places! ;)
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36798 Posts

Posted - 09 Dec 2013 :  17:45:49  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Well, wizard mythals aren't actual mythals, they are just mythal-like effects. It's not called the Silverymoon Mythal, it's still called the Wards of Silverymoon. Much like Aghairon's Dragonward. That'd probably count as a wizard mythal, it's just never been referred to as such in a source.

In 2E, the wards surrounding Silverymoon were explicitly referred to as wards, and not as a mythal. In 3E, it was explicitly called a mythal.

I've previously put forth ways that Silverymoon's wards could have been upgraded, but that was my own suggestions -- we never had a formal explanation.

Go to Top of Page

hashimashadoo
Master of Realmslore

United Kingdom
1150 Posts

Posted - 10 Dec 2013 :  13:47:56  Show Profile  Visit hashimashadoo's Homepage Send hashimashadoo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Actually, Silver Marches says that the Wards were "founded on a mythal" but I see where you're coming from.

Did any of your suggestions note that The North repeatedly refers to the Wards of Silverymoon as being similar to Myth Drannor's mythal and Silverymoon was intended by many to be a sister-city to Myth Drannor?

Those 50 Myth Drannan wizards who emigrated in 659 DR probably had something to do with it too as the Wards went up 35 years after their arrival.

Edited by - hashimashadoo on 10 Dec 2013 13:53:32
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36798 Posts

Posted - 10 Dec 2013 :  14:45:40  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Actually, Silver Marches says that the Wards were "founded on a mythal" but I see where you're coming from.

Did any of your suggestions note that The North repeatedly refers to the Wards of Silverymoon as being similar to Myth Drannor's mythal and Silverymoon was intended by many to be a sister-city to Myth Drannor?

Those 50 Myth Drannan wizards who emigrated in 659 DR probably had something to do with it too as the Wards went up 35 years after their arrival.

My suggestions were that at some point the wards were upgraded (or morphed to) to a full-on mythal, or that there was a dormant one onsite that, and after years of being saturated with magic from the wards, re-awoke.

The upgrade would work better from a continuity standpoint, I think.

Edited by - Wooly Rupert on 10 Dec 2013 14:49:43
Go to Top of Page

hashimashadoo
Master of Realmslore

United Kingdom
1150 Posts

Posted - 10 Dec 2013 :  14:51:57  Show Profile  Visit hashimashadoo's Homepage Send hashimashadoo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I suppose the site of Silverymoon could have once been a splinter-colony of Earlann or Siluvanede.

Go to Top of Page

hashimashadoo
Master of Realmslore

United Kingdom
1150 Posts

Posted - 16 Dec 2013 :  20:54:09  Show Profile  Visit hashimashadoo's Homepage Send hashimashadoo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Dungeon #121 also says there's a mythal over the Keleidsa Estate in a particularly dense part of the Arch Wood.

Go to Top of Page

unseenmage
Seeker

61 Posts

Posted - 19 Dec 2013 :  23:23:20  Show Profile Send unseenmage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Wow thank you all very very much.
I went ahead with my project simply using what info I could glean from the 3rd ed. Magic of Faerun book which still gave me a serviceable amount of data points.

I'll likekly still go ahead and plot these mythals and tears at some point though. For me they're just to important not to have their own map.

Thank you all again. My apologies for not responding and thanking you all sooner.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000