Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Thornhold - Info on it in 1371-74?
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Kris the Grey
Senior Scribe

USA
422 Posts

Posted - 17 Nov 2013 :  01:47:55  Show Profile Send Kris the Grey a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Fellow Scribes,

What year (DR) did Bronwyn Caradoon and shield dwarves of Clan Stoneshaft take over Thornhold and what are they using it for in the years 1371-74? It sits along the High Road at the start of the Mere of Dead Men, so it would make an ideal way stop for caravans entering the Mere (as the edge of civilization so to speak).

Does anyone know of a map with its layout and a general idea of how many dwarves inhabit it?

Kris the Grey - Member in Good Standing of the Watchful Order of Magists and Protectors, the Arcane Guild of Silverymoon, and the Connecticut Bar Association

Kris the Grey
Senior Scribe

USA
422 Posts

Posted - 17 Nov 2013 :  02:27:46  Show Profile Send Kris the Grey a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It would seem I've answered some of my own questions...

1368/69 was the year the Zhents took over and then the Stoneshaft dwarves liberated Thornhold.

According to the 3E supplement, City of Splendors Thornhold is being used in 1372 as:
"Clan Stoneshaft continues to operate the formidable redoubt to this day
as a merchant stopover—the last along the High Road before the
dangerous dash past the Mere of Dead Men."

Still no map (but I did get a rough description) nor any idea how many dwarves make up Clan Stoneshaft.

Kris the Grey - Member in Good Standing of the Watchful Order of Magists and Protectors, the Arcane Guild of Silverymoon, and the Connecticut Bar Association
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 17 Nov 2013 :  12:43:30  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I thought there was a novel centered around the place, but I could be thinking of another hold. The one I am thinking of is now a monastery for paladins, or some such.

Just checked... thats even the title, and it is by Elaine Cunningham.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Go to Top of Page

Kris the Grey
Senior Scribe

USA
422 Posts

Posted - 17 Nov 2013 :  17:50:11  Show Profile Send Kris the Grey a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yep, read that one. That's where I got the general description. Didn't know if there were any informational updates about it after CoS's brief 3E treatment of it.

Markustay - do you have a good close detail map of the area between Leilon and Waterdeep?

Go to Top of Page

hashimashadoo
Master of Realmslore

United Kingdom
1150 Posts

Posted - 19 Dec 2013 :  16:35:56  Show Profile  Visit hashimashadoo's Homepage Send hashimashadoo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The only map I've seen which includes Thornhold is the Interactive Atlas which places it in the closest point between the Mere and the Sword Mountains. I believe however, that Sam Wood made a map that was included within the novel itself (I can't confirm this having never owned the novel).

When life turns it's back on you...sneak attack for extra damage.

Head admin of the FR wiki:

https://forgottenrealms.fandom.com/
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 19 Dec 2013 :  17:27:10  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I must have missed your last reply.

I have... a map. Its actually not complete in that region, mostly because it was central to something south of that. However, it has more detail then any other map I've ever done.

I can't share THAT map (unfortunately), but I may be able to share the portion of it that fell north of what I... ummm... 'turned-in'. Do you still need it?

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Edited by - Markustay on 19 Dec 2013 17:28:07
Go to Top of Page

Kris the Grey
Senior Scribe

USA
422 Posts

Posted - 20 Dec 2013 :  03:43:12  Show Profile Send Kris the Grey a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Markustay,

I'd love it if you've got it!

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000