Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Sages of Realmslore
 Undermountain & Halaster's Future
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

The Masked Mage
Great Reader

USA
2420 Posts

Posted - 22 Oct 2013 :  23:06:41  Show Profile Send The Masked Mage a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
I'm wondering if there has been any word about the future of Undermountain and Halaster in the new edition.

ksu_bond
Learned Scribe

New Zealand
214 Posts

Posted - 23 Oct 2013 :  02:33:57  Show Profile Send ksu_bond a Private Message  Reply with Quote
While I'm not sure how definitive it is or how it works with canon lore...Arena of War has some "adventures" in Undermountain and includes an image of Halaster...but as of yet I haven't unlocked any useful bits of information...
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31727 Posts

Posted - 23 Oct 2013 :  03:15:52  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Not directly.

But current and "recently" released 4e products [like Halls of Undermountain] definitely leave the door more than a little open for the possible return of Halaster in *some* form.

And besides, while Halaster WASN'T a Chosen a Mystra, Ed has, in the past, specifically noted that the Mad Mage is/was SOMETHING special. We just don't know exactly what that is. So we really can't say or know how his demise and the future of Undermountain... may still be linked.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

hashimashadoo
Master of Realmslore

United Kingdom
1150 Posts

Posted - 23 Oct 2013 :  16:57:52  Show Profile  Visit hashimashadoo's Homepage Send hashimashadoo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Brian James' non-canon Realms timeline included a snippet about Flamsterd being ordered to collect Halaster's Soul Shards in 1376 DR by the High One.

When life turns it's back on you...sneak attack for extra damage.

Head admin of the FR wiki:

https://forgottenrealms.fandom.com/
Go to Top of Page

The Masked Mage
Great Reader

USA
2420 Posts

Posted - 23 Oct 2013 :  18:57:04  Show Profile Send The Masked Mage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by hashimashadoo

Brian James' non-canon Realms timeline included a snippet about Flamsterd being ordered to collect Halaster's Soul Shards in 1376 DR by the High One.

Didn't Flamsterd die already as well?
Go to Top of Page

Brian R. James
Forgotten Realms Game Designer

USA
1098 Posts

Posted - 24 Oct 2013 :  16:02:15  Show Profile  Visit Brian R. James's Homepage Send Brian R. James a Private Message  Reply with Quote
As far as I'm aware Flamsterd's fate during the 4E era remains unknown. Azuth, on the other hand, suffered a painful death at the hands of Asmodeus at the start of the Spellplague. Of course, if it were up to me Flamsterd's quest to restore Halaster to the mortal realm would ultimately achieve success, perhaps during the events of the (3rd) Sundering.

Brian R. James - Freelance Game Designer

Follow me on Twitter @brianrjames
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 24 Oct 2013 :  17:06:47  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Actually, I'm think this as really the fifth Sundering (this way we have one for each edition - easier to keep track of that way). We are just unaware of the other two because everyone forgot about them after the 'world was changed forever' (until the next sundering, that is).

Fifth Sundering... that has a certain ring to it. Its like 'fifth column'.

Anyhow, I figure its like Ravenloft - when a world has a major 'reset', people tend to forget what it was like before history was altered (unless the knowledge was protected with some form of Chrono-shielding). Thats a great way to cover a lot of the weirdness (glitches) that creep-in between editions. "It used to be like this, but now its like this..." makes sense, because both pieces of lore are true at the time.

ANYWAY....

Yeah... Halaster... a must-have come 5e. Its just not FR without him.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Edited by - Markustay on 24 Oct 2013 17:09:00
Go to Top of Page

Lothlos
Learned Scribe

USA
111 Posts

Posted - 26 Oct 2013 :  16:50:47  Show Profile Send Lothlos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Yeah... Halaster... a must-have come 5e. Its just not FR without him.

I totally and completely agree with you Markustay.

I really do not care one way or another how they bring him back, but Undermountain is just not the same without him and neither are the Realms for that matter.

In my Realms he never died.

The Road goes ever on and on
Down from the door where it began.
Now far ahead the Road has gone,
And I must follow, if I can,
Pursuing it with eager feet,
Until it joins some larger way
Where many paths and errands meet.
And whither then? I cannot say.
-J.R.R. Tolkien

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36798 Posts

Posted - 26 Oct 2013 :  19:02:42  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Undermountain is not Undermountain without Halaster. The Realms was in print long before Halaster was ever mentioned.

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

The Masked Mage
Great Reader

USA
2420 Posts

Posted - 26 Oct 2013 :  23:11:47  Show Profile Send The Masked Mage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

Undermountain is not Undermountain without Halaster. The Realms was in print long before Halaster was ever mentioned.

Anyone remember the first time Halaster was mentioned? I know Undermountain was mentioned in Waterdeep & The North - that's 1987. Anyone go further back?
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36798 Posts

Posted - 26 Oct 2013 :  23:21:49  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I don't think he was named in print before the first Ruins of Undermountain boxed set, but I'll readily admit that I could have forgotten an earlier reference.

Go to Top of Page

Hawkins
Great Reader

USA
2131 Posts

Posted - 27 Oct 2013 :  00:22:03  Show Profile  Visit Hawkins's Homepage Send Hawkins a Private Message  Reply with Quote
IIRC, Mystra actually came out and said to Halaster the she had something special in mind for him at the end of Elminster in Hell.

Errant d20 Designer - My Blog (last updated January 06, 2016)

One, two! One, two! And through and through
The vorpal blade went snicker-snack!
He left it dead, and with its head
He went galumphing back. --Lewis Carroll, Through the Looking-Glass

"Mmm, not the darkness," Myrin murmured. "Don't cast it there." --Erik Scott de Bie, Shadowbane

* My character sheets (PFRPG, 3.5, and AE versions; not viewable in Internet Explorer)
* Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Reference Document (PFRPG OGL Rules)
* The Hypertext d20 SRD (3.5 OGL Rules)
* 3.5 D&D Archives

My game design work:
* Heroes of the Jade Oath (PFRPG, conversion; Rite Publishing)
* Compendium Arcanum Volume 1: Cantrips & Orisons (PFRPG, designer; d20pfsrd.com Publishing)
* Compendium Arcanum Volume 2: 1st-Level Spells (PFRPG, designer; d20pfsrd.com Publishing)
* Martial Arts Guidebook (forthcoming) (PFRPG, designer; Rite Publishing)
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11809 Posts

Posted - 27 Oct 2013 :  01:27:12  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Masked Mage

quote:

Anyone remember the first time Halaster was mentioned? I know Undermountain was mentioned in Waterdeep & The North - that's 1987. Anyone go further back?

Yeah, but that mention of undermountain in Waterdeep and the North had no mention of Halaster. I only state this because your statement can be misread if one isn't careful.

This was its extent, and then there were some additional references to individuals with links to undermountain like Durnan, but Halaster isn't mentioned at all:

At least three major networks of underground passages are known to exist beneath Waterdeep#145;s busy streets. Undermountain, a deep, many-leveled former dwarven city and implies, lies largely beneath Mount Waterdeep, is the largest and most famous (in tavern-talk) of these.

Alavairthae, may your skill prevail

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

Lothlos
Learned Scribe

USA
111 Posts

Posted - 27 Oct 2013 :  01:31:55  Show Profile Send Lothlos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

While the Realms was in print long before Halaster, my introduction to the Forgotten Realms was an Undermountain campaign as a player. Then I wanted to read everything about Halaster and Undermountain I could get my hands on. Then I became introduced to the rest of the Forgotten Realms.

-J.R.R. Tolkien

Go to Top of Page

The Masked Mage
Great Reader

USA
2420 Posts

Posted - 27 Oct 2013 :  08:34:08  Show Profile Send The Masked Mage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by sleyvas

quote:
Originally posted by The Masked Mage

quote:

Yeah, but that mention of undermountain in Waterdeep and the North had no mention of Halaster. I only state this because your statement can be misread if one isn't careful.

Good point.
Go to Top of Page

Nicolai Withander
Master of Realmslore

Denmark
1093 Posts

Posted - 31 Oct 2013 :  10:42:34  Show Profile Send Nicolai Withander a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Noob question comming up....

Didn't he die during his attemt to save Elminster in hell? While under some temporary chosen template thing? Or am I as I said... just an über noob?

Edited by - Nicolai Withander on 31 Oct 2013 10:43:19
Go to Top of Page

Demzer
Senior Scribe

877 Posts

Posted - 31 Oct 2013 :  11:38:44  Show Profile Send Demzer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Nicolai Withander

Didn't he die during his attemt to save Elminster in hell? While under some temporary chosen template thing? Or am I as I said... just an über noob?

Nope he died offstage when, while doing "something", "something else" went wrong with that "something" and "somehow" the situation got so out of hand that he died, his soul was shattered and pieces of it went all over Realmspace and Waterdeep was shaken by an earthquake.

This prior to the Spellplauge in the late 1370s or early 1380s, don't have GHotR to check at the moment.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36798 Posts

Posted - 31 Oct 2013 :  13:05:32  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Demzer

quote:
Originally posted by Nicolai Withander

Nope he died offstage when, while doing "something", "something else" went wrong with that "something" and "somehow" the situation got so out of hand that he died, his soul was shattered and pieces of it went all over Realmspace and Waterdeep was shaken by an earthquake.

This prior to the Spellplauge in the late 1370s or early 1380s, don't have GHotR to check at the moment.

Yup. And whatever he was doing was in reaction to the coming Spellplague, which Hally somehow knew about, despite the fact that he's never shown any prophetic tendencies in the past, and despite the fact that deities -- especially the deity of divination -- somehow didn't know it was coming.

And let's not forget that in the Expedition to Undermountain book, within a few pages of the listing of magic that doesn't work in Undermountain, we have an NPC successfully using some of that magic that won't work -- while he is in Undermountain.

Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 31 Oct 2013 :  14:57:51  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I once had a disagreement with a certain designer about the definition of something. I gave him the 'latest definition' (sigh... the Weave... what else?), and he told me that definition was incorrect, and that his was the correct one.

I then pointed out that this definition was in the latest published source - a sourcebook with HIS name on it! He explained to me that they don't read (all) the material the other guys write...

YUP - thats what he said. Take that and look at 4e - it explains EVERYTHING.

And BTW, he STILL insisted that that definition was incorrect, and HIS was correct. Makes you wonder why we bother buying material that is clearly wrong, eh?

So the Undermountain thing is easily explained by the fact that that tome had multiple authors... who didn't read what each other wrote.

You know whats weird? I've since come to understand this attitude. I find myself sometimes wanting to ask Ed (or someone else) a question about something, but then I have my own idea for it, and decide I'd rather NOT ask, because I can just move forward with my own stuff and not be bothered with whatever they had in-mind. I am not saying that the right way to go about things, but I at least understand it now.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Edited by - Markustay on 31 Oct 2013 14:59:41
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36798 Posts

Posted - 31 Oct 2013 :  15:04:04  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Markustay

I once had a disagreement with a certain designer about the definition of something. I gave him the 'latest definition' (sigh... the Weave... what else?), and he told me that definition was incorrect, and that his was the correct one.

I then pointed out that this definition was in the latest published source - a sourcebook with HIS name on it! He explained to me that they don't read (all) the material the other guys write...

YUP - thats what he said. Take that and look at 4e - it explains EVERYTHING.

And BTW, he STILL insisted that that definition was incorrect, and HIS was correct. Makes you wonder why we bother buying material that is clearly wrong, eh?

So the Undermountain thing is easily explained by the fact that that tome had multiple authors... who didn't read what each other wrote.

You know whats weird? I've since come to understand this attitude. I find myself sometimes wanting to ask Ed (or someone else) a question about something, but then I have my own idea for it, and decide I'd rather NOT ask, because I can just move forward with my own stuff and not be bothered with whatever they had in-mind. I am not saying that the right way to go about things, but I at least understand it now.

Yeah, I recall Rich Baker and the many versions of the Shadow Weave... It's one of the reasons I hated the Shadow Weave: it was being redefined every time it was mentioned. You'd think that at some point, folks would have sat down and hammered out a definition to stick with, but that obviously never happened -- or they didn't care about invalidating their own prior canon.

But the thing about spells in Undermountain was something that dated back to the original boxed set -- so whichever author wrote that section didn't read the restrictions of Undermountain from that book or from any previous source, and it wasn't caught by an editor, either... Or no one cared about discrepancies -- not just with prior lore, but within the same source.

Edited by - Wooly Rupert on 31 Oct 2013 15:05:24
Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 31 Oct 2013 :  16:55:43  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Brian R. James

As far as I'm aware Flamsterd's fate during the 4E era remains unknown. Azuth, on the other hand, suffered a painful death at the hands of Asmodeus at the start of the Spellplague. Of course, if it were up to me Flamsterd's quest to restore Halaster to the mortal realm would ultimately achieve success, perhaps during the events of the (3rd) Sundering.
I came up with a story to address this very issue, actually. I suppose we'll see if/when I get the chance to tell it.

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

'Tis easier to destroy than to create.

Author of a number of Realms novels (GHOSTWALKER, DEPTHS OF MADNESS, and the SHADOWBANE series), contributor to the NEVERWINTER CAMPAIGN GUIDE and SHADOWFELL: GLOOMWROUGHT AND BEYOND, Twitch DM of the Dungeon Scrawlers, currently playing "The Westgate Irregulars"
Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7989 Posts

Posted - 31 Oct 2013 :  23:19:12  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I can understand why Halaster was potentially deactivated/slain/removed from D&D ... Undermountain is a fearsome magical minefield which sort of promotes and perpetuates the antagonistic-DM-vs-victimized-PC playstyle, especially in the hands of novice gamers. WotC‘s post-Halaster products appear to generally cultivate a less confrontational mode of gameplay, and overall that‘s actually a good thing.

That being said, I agree wholeheartedly that Halaster‘s apparent death was a cheap and heavyhanded event, and Undermountain is just a gaping maw of lost potential without him pulling levers and plotting diabolically in the background. D&D should *never* dispose of NPCs who excel at such stylishly villainous monologue!

[/Ayrik]

Edited by - Ayrik on 31 Oct 2013 23:23:45
Go to Top of Page

Eilserus
Master of Realmslore

USA
1446 Posts

Posted - 01 Nov 2013 :  01:34:04  Show Profile Send Eilserus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Halaster needs to be in Undermountain. Did he not maintain the spells and wards that also kept the city of Waterdeep from collapsing into Undermountain?
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36798 Posts

Posted - 01 Nov 2013 :  02:31:16  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Eilserus

Halaster needs to be in Undermountain. Did he not maintain the spells and wards that also kept the city of Waterdeep from collapsing into Undermountain?

Nope. There was a mythal for that.

Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7989 Posts

Posted - 01 Nov 2013 :  21:51:15  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
and yet there has been at least one occurence of Waterdeep suffering earthquakes, flooding, burning, and similar disasters - for a short while - because Halaster wasn‘t manning his post. This implies that 1) Waterdeep‘s status is somewhat precarious, forcing the mythal to compensate, and 2) Halaster‘s presence has enough magical oomphf to effect the mythal ... a long-term or permanent absence might be more than the mythal can maintain.

[/Ayrik]
Go to Top of Page

Eilserus
Master of Realmslore

USA
1446 Posts

Posted - 01 Nov 2013 :  22:09:40  Show Profile Send Eilserus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Maybe Halaster got a copy of Manshoon's Statis Clone spell while one of the Manshoon's was staying with him. Though maybe we don't need a physical Halaster back. I could see multiple "Mythal Ghosts" or spirit things of him rolling around the old halls, or something like what happened to Sylune.
Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7989 Posts

Posted - 02 Nov 2013 :  03:07:04  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Halastral spectres?

[/Ayrik]
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36798 Posts

Posted - 02 Nov 2013 :  04:06:14  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Eilserus

Maybe Halaster got a copy of Manshoon's Statis Clone spell while one of the Manshoon's was staying with him. Though maybe we don't need a physical Halaster back. I could see multiple "Mythal Ghosts" or spirit things of him rolling around the old halls, or something like what happened to Sylune.

You know, that gives me kind of a nifty idea, albeit a derivative one: what about having Halaster reborn in a manner similar to the Skulls of Skullport? Not necessarily as skulls, obviously; the mythal ghost idea would work well, too. But either way, a collective conscious, split up between multiple bodies/bones/ghosts/whatever, able to pop up in multiple places at once...

Go to Top of Page

Eilserus
Master of Realmslore

USA
1446 Posts

Posted - 02 Nov 2013 :  14:17:11  Show Profile Send Eilserus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Now that's kind of interesting. Say some of his soul shards were embedded in things and places. A magical item with his personality. A statue. A door on level 2 that says: YOU SHALL NOT PASS! heheh, well maybe not that one but I could see having alot of fun with this.
Go to Top of Page

Lothlos
Learned Scribe

USA
111 Posts

Posted - 02 Nov 2013 :  16:17:33  Show Profile Send Lothlos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
"Further, it's a safe wager that Halaster has multiple
contingency spells upon his person to prevent injury
or death. ... Probability also leans heavily toward
Halaster maintaining clones of himself (with all the
above powers and abilities) deep within Undermountain.
Always bear in mind that Halaster is one
of the most powerful wizards in all of Faerûn" - Forgotten Realms Villains' Lorebook pg31

Halaster is known to have contingency
magics upon his person, and probably
maintains clones of himself deep within
the dungeon. PCs who attempt to destroy
him find him returning time and time
again from #147;certain death.#148; He is one of
the great mysteries and terrors of this
part of the Realms, - Campaign Guide to Undermountain - Ed Greenwood Pg 106

So Ed himself hints at Halaster having clones of himself back in The Ruins of Undermountain Boxed Set.

Edited for grammer

-J.R.R. Tolkien

Edited by - Lothlos on 02 Nov 2013 16:19:39
Go to Top of Page

hashimashadoo
Master of Realmslore

United Kingdom
1150 Posts

Posted - 02 Nov 2013 :  16:39:53  Show Profile  Visit hashimashadoo's Homepage Send hashimashadoo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
There's quite an entertaining discussion between Halaster and one of his clones who gets activated early in Hordes of the Underdark so the idea has merit enough for Bioware to run with it.

When life turns it's back on you...sneak attack for extra damage.

Head admin of the FR wiki:

https://forgottenrealms.fandom.com/
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000