Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Sages of Realmslore
 Corellon VS Mystra - Gods of Magic
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Yuukale
Acolyte

Brazil
9 Posts

Posted - 10 Sep 2013 :  18:45:56  Show Profile  Visit Yuukale's Homepage Send Yuukale a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Hello folks!

Something that always confused me was how Corellon has Magic in his portfolio.

To what extent can he influence magic if Mystra controls the Weave?

Magic of Faerun doesn't quite add much, except that he opposes the shadow weave and defends/promotes elven magic.

Yuukale Narmo ~ The Hunter, The Trigger

Dalor Darden
Great Reader

USA
4211 Posts

Posted - 10 Sep 2013 :  21:20:33  Show Profile Send Dalor Darden a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Most specifically, he is the God of Elven Magic...just as the Mulhorandi had three gods of magic!

It is also worth noting that he is a God on MANY worlds...and so is somewhat outside of the human rankings of divine portfolios perhaps.

The Old Grey Box and AD&D for me!
Go to Top of Page

Yuukale
Acolyte

Brazil
9 Posts

Posted - 10 Sep 2013 :  22:06:29  Show Profile  Visit Yuukale's Homepage Send Yuukale a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ok, he's the god of elven magic, so, in theory, elves don't need to tap into the weave to cast arcane magic?

I would even argue the use of 10th circle spells and up, but this I concede that Corellon might have agreed with Mystra's ban and chose to respect it. It's a bit confusing :/

Go to Top of Page

Drustan Dwnhaedan
Learned Scribe

USA
324 Posts

Posted - 10 Sep 2013 :  22:34:42  Show Profile Send Drustan Dwnhaedan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The way I understood this, Corellon does tap into the Weave, with Mystra's permission. Since the Weave is the source of all magic on Toril, and Mystra is essentially the Keeper of the Weave (as well as being the Weave), Corellon would have to abide by whatever rules Mystra had set regarding the use of magic (on Toril, anyways). I'm sorry if this didn't help, as I'm only reiterating my DM's attempt to explain things to me (hence the reason why I'm not sure of how accurate my information is; my DM may have veered of how things work in canon).
Go to Top of Page

Yuukale
Acolyte

Brazil
9 Posts

Posted - 10 Sep 2013 :  22:40:08  Show Profile  Visit Yuukale's Homepage Send Yuukale a Private Message  Reply with Quote
If he has to tap into the Weave, why in the 9 hells does he have Magic in his portfolio. It's not like he couldn't interfere in elven magic by just being the creator of elves, right?

Go to Top of Page

Therise
Master of Realmslore

1272 Posts

Posted - 10 Sep 2013 :  23:44:36  Show Profile Send Therise a Private Message  Reply with Quote
There are many deities of magic, and there are also many forms of magic (rune magic, elvish magic, table magic, spellsong, etc.).

First, remember that the elves are interlopers to Faerun, and the Elvish gods are interlopers. They've been on Faerun for a very long time, so they are "naturalized" natives, but they were not originally native. They brought with them their own traditions of magic (including high elvish magic), which have their own peculiarities.

On Faerun, Mystra and the Weave -are- magic. When the elves came to Faerun, they taught humans their form of magic. Over time, humans further developed and took steps away from what would be considered elvish magic. And also, many elves started to study the differences that humans and others came up with. So when you look at a player's handbook and see lists of spells, that's a commonly accepted or modern magic. But it's not the only magic.

Mystra fosters development of all magic, and oversees magic on Toril. Corellon in essence has an agreement of sorts with Mystra (and as mortals, good luck figuring out the particulars of that), but he oversees elvish magic under her rather large umbrella.

Some sages believe that Corellon helped hold magic together or lend it some stability (just like Deneir helped stabilize the Weave during 4E) while Mystra had her "rough patch" during the 4E era. But even when Mystra was fully a goddess in 1E-3E, there were other gods of magic that operated under her umbrella as well... Azuth, Savras, Velsharoon, and other deities from other cultures.

Female, 40-year DM of a homebrew-evolved 1E Realms, including a few added tidbits of 2E and 3E lore; played originally in AD&D, then in Rolemaster. Be a DM for your kids and grandkids, gaming is excellent for families!

Edited by - Therise on 10 Sep 2013 23:46:19
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 11 Sep 2013 :  00:00:04  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I see Corellon as being the Mystra of some Elvish homeworld, that has since interloped onto many worlds.

So its like this - when you are on someone else's turf, you have to pay them some lip-service.

Note that I think 'The Weave' as we know it is just an extension of something much larger - Elvish lore hints at this (IIRC, when they first came to Faerūn, one of them said, "the Weave is strong on this world", which infers there are other Weaves... or one great big weave which extends into different spheres). Unfortunately, that would mean Mystra would have to be far more important (on a multispheric scale) then we thought - and there isn't much evidence of that - or she is far less powerful then she lets on (because she is just one local 'caretaker' in a company of thousands).

We do know there are certain aspects of magic she has no control over - for example, The Shadow Weave - so I would lean toward her not being as great as we've been lead to believe (by the spin-doctors that work for her church).

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Edited by - Markustay on 11 Sep 2013 00:01:48
Go to Top of Page

Yuukale
Acolyte

Brazil
9 Posts

Posted - 11 Sep 2013 :  00:35:23  Show Profile  Visit Yuukale's Homepage Send Yuukale a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yeah, I can see Corellon being the ruler of all magic in Faerie/Feywild.
In Faerun, perhaps he can only interfere with elven high magic (given that any other form of magic wouldn't fall on his purview)

Do you have any idea where did you read this quote? Was it in Evermeet (dang, that's about the only book on non-moonshae elves that I haven't read :/)

Is it possible that the term "weave" was used as an incorrect substitute for "magic energy" ?

I can't help but think if both things came to a disagreement between these gods (likely possible, but a thought exercise nonetheless), would Mystra be able to shut down all magic but Elven High Magic ?

Go to Top of Page

CorellonsDevout
Great Reader

USA
2708 Posts

Posted - 11 Sep 2013 :  03:41:12  Show Profile Send CorellonsDevout a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It's been so long since I've read Evermeet, so there is a lot I've forgotten, but it is a great book!

Anyway, building off what others have said. I've always thought Mystra as the goddess of "general" magic. She governs the Weave, but as Markustay said, she doesn't control the Shadow Weave. I don't think High Elven Magic is drawn from a different Weave, per se, but it is still a different variation of magic, probably only the kind the fey can tap into, based on their own ties to it. I seem to remember a young Elminster commenting to an elf that they don't worship Mystra as their goddess of magic, and the reply was that they have their own gods (thus Corellon). Being a magical race, (the last line in Evermeet is "where there is magic, there will always be elves"), it stands to reason their patron god has magic under his portfolio. Racial pantheons are going to share portfolios with each other.

It is highly unlikely Corellon and Mystra would ever be at odds with each other, but if Mystra did "shut down" the Weave, Elven High Magic might be somewhat affected, but not to the point where elves couldn't draw on it. For instance, I don't think it was affected by the Spellplague, at least not that I know of.

Sweet water and light laughter
Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7989 Posts

Posted - 11 Sep 2013 :  04:34:46  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The way I understand it, elven High Magic is a magical system entirely separate from Mystra's Weave. Permanent constructs made with High Magic - such as elven mythals and moonblades - continue to function and seem generally unaffected by Weave-failures. Perhaps these things are Seldarine magic outside of the Weave, or perhaps they are sustained by Corellon regardless of Mystra's (in)competence.

Corellon might need to be invoked by elves when attempting to cast 10th level and various unique spells, where a human would invoke Mystra. Indeed, any invocation of Mystra's/Azuth's name might instead invoke Corellon whenever elven mages and magics are involved. Remember that Corellon draws much power from the Feywild, which intersects every world where fey may be found.

[Edit]

Prior to D&D 4E, Mystra really only governed magic in the Realms, Toril and the other worlds of Realmspace. Perhaps, if one is open-minded, also our own world of Earth. While Corellon governed the magic of elves spanning every world of the D&D cosmos where elves (or elven spells and items) could be found, making him perhaps less influential over magic in the Realms but overwhelmingly more powerful in overall stature.

D&D 4E is based on the premise that Mystra governed magic on every world and Mystra's Weave somehow failed on all of them simultaneously. In this system, Corellon's dominion over magic appears dependant upon Mystra's Weave, and thus the dominoes fall.

[/Ayrik]

Edited by - Ayrik on 11 Sep 2013 05:16:51
Go to Top of Page

CorellonsDevout
Great Reader

USA
2708 Posts

Posted - 11 Sep 2013 :  05:35:12  Show Profile Send CorellonsDevout a Private Message  Reply with Quote
That's a good point, Ayrik, though I wasn't aware Corellon's dominion of magic was dependent on Mystra in 4E, or that he was affected by the Spellplague affected him at all. Well, okay, all the gods were affected by the Spellplague to a point. I guess one could say magic just went haywire in general during the Spellplague, but things like elemenatl or druidic magic didn't seem affected, but perhaps that is because they are drawn more from the earth than the Weave.

The "science", if you will, of magic in the Realms is not my area of expertise. I've always thought of High Elven Magic as different from "general" magic, whether or not it is separate from the Weave.

Go to Top of Page

ksu_bond
Learned Scribe

New Zealand
214 Posts

Posted - 11 Sep 2013 :  05:52:55  Show Profile Send ksu_bond a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I also vaguely recall that elves had a slightly different relationship to the Weave than Humans. Something to the effect that when elves draw power from the Weave to create some magical effect that was more akin to harnessing the power from the various threads of magic around them. Whereas Human access was far more abrupt, more akin to yanking the power from the various threads of magic.

I also seem to recall something about the elven revelry somehow being connected to the Weave.
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11809 Posts

Posted - 11 Sep 2013 :  12:02:43  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I know some folk will say what I'm about to say is heresy, but frankly it makes more sense than what's been published. Most of the gods can lay claim to SOME kind of magic sub-section. Sune - love magic, Deneir- symbol magic, Kossuth - fire magic, Talos - destructive magic, etc..... This idea that certain gods have ABSOLUTE control over their portfolio needs to be gotten rid of. The idea that there can't be multiple gods of magic, possibly even with duplicated portfolios, should be left in the dirt. Kossuth may be the great god of fire, but shouldn't Talos be a "fire god" as well. It doesn't hurt a thing and it gets rid of a lot of arguments. The only thing it hurts is the deux ex machina novel plot lines where "Waukeen was upset that her coffee was cold, so she stopped all mercantile traffic from occurring.... all beings of Toril forgot how to bargain with one another".

Alavairthae, may your skill prevail

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 11 Sep 2013 :  14:05:02  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Yuukale

In Faerun, perhaps he can only interfere with elven high magic (given that any other form of magic wouldn't fall on his purview)

Do you have any idea where did you read this quote? Was it in Evermeet (dang, that's about the only book on non-moonshae elves that I haven't read.
Its in Evermeet: Island of Elves by Elaine Cunniungham. IIRC, its when the elves first arrived in Faerūn after the destruction of Tintageer.

quote:

Is it possible that the term "weave" was used as an incorrect substitute for "magic energy" ?
Yes, its entirely possible - Elaine may have just been using an in-setting term (somewhat incorrectly). There is at at least one other terminology error (due to the differences between FR's elves and core), and there is also a MAJOR continuity snafu as well.

Anyhow, I think the term 'The Weave' is FR-specific (I don't think Ed even called it that - he described it as a 'web of magical energy' that the TSR guys ran with), and it is just the local portion of a greater (planer) magical web - sort of like one of those 'fundamental forces of the universe'. If we take this one step further (and blend the RW occurrence of the term with the lore), we could say that thats what the Elves called magical energy, and after 37K+ years, thats what everyone else on Toril calls it now too.

Thus, 'The Weave' could be a Faerie term, and Mystra controls the local (Realmspace) portion of it, which is just a single 'web' within the greater 'Weave'. Her giving divine sentience to the Realms magical web leads to it being more powerful, through worship and other things. The Sarrukh (who predated the Elves by quite a bit) referred to magical lore as 'scales of the world serpent', which also indicates the 'The Weave' may have been a fey/Elven concept (since every ancient/creator race would have their own term for that energy).

And since the theory is that the Fey originated on Toril (as a creator race), and they created the Elves (who later returned to Toril), it really all comes full circle, and it could be that 'The Weave' has always bean Toril's Weave, which got extended into Faerie by the Fey. In fact, Faerie may be a physical manifestation of The Weave itself (thus the Fey fled into The Weave, and created their world whole-cloth).

That makes perfect sense in regards to the quote - Faerie/The Feywild now bleeds into almost every plane/sphere, but it would be strongest where it originated from. Its 'roots' would be there.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Edited by - Markustay on 11 Sep 2013 14:10:12
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 11 Sep 2013 :  14:24:52  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Ed said Mystra is the Weave. So where does Corellon fit in?

Every beginning has an end.
Go to Top of Page

Kentinal
Great Reader

4687 Posts

Posted - 11 Sep 2013 :  16:53:52  Show Profile Send Kentinal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well as far is it goes, the Weave is not the source of all magic of the Realms, it is just the easiest to tap into.

In some ways, editions what is Eleven magic has changed.

"Small beings can have small wisdom," the dragon said. "And small wise beings are better than small fools. Listen: Wisdom is caring for afterwards."
"Caring for afterwards ...? Ker repeated this without understanding.
"After action, afterwards," the dragon said. "Choose the afterwards first, then the action. Fools choose action first."
"Judgement" copyright 2003 by Elizabeth Moon
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 11 Sep 2013 :  16:59:17  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kentinal

Well as far is it goes, the Weave is not the source of all magic of the Realms, it is just the easiest to tap into.

And yet in RotA, it was mentioned and showed pretty clearly that, after the war, the High Mages of Evareska drew magic from the Weave to repair their broken mythal, with the exception of Galaeron, who drew from the SW instead.

Every beginning has an end.
Go to Top of Page

hashimashadoo
Master of Realmslore

United Kingdom
1150 Posts

Posted - 11 Sep 2013 :  17:05:04  Show Profile  Visit hashimashadoo's Homepage Send hashimashadoo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
After reading Dragon #251 where the minor elven FR gods of magic (Mythrien Sarath, Sarula Iliene, etc) that aren't mentioned anywhere else are described, I decided that elven magic in my campaign would be slightly different from the 'standard' magic everyone is always going on about.

Mythals, water magic, time travel and the magic that's used by the fey or emulates it is counted as elf magic in my book. Though it uses the Weave to fuel it, it is regulated by the Seldarine magic deities who are all ultimately answerable to Corellon.

When life turns it's back on you...sneak attack for extra damage.

Head admin of the FR wiki:

https://forgottenrealms.fandom.com/
Go to Top of Page

Demzer
Senior Scribe

877 Posts

Posted - 11 Sep 2013 :  18:06:17  Show Profile Send Demzer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, if the Seldarine don't behave following Mystra's rules she may threaten to kick them out of using magic within Realmspace.

Than Corellon will calmly remind her that while she died 3 times and all her servant deities (Savras, Azuth and Velsharoon) are gone, he has taken an eye off of Gruumsh and kicked Lolth underground, Labelas Enoreth has battled and won against Clangeddin and at this point Mystra will probably fake an emergency call from her Chosens and disappear.

Jokes aside, in theory anyone and anything in Realmspace has to abide Mystra's Laws regarding any type of magic (unless she's dead ... again).
Go to Top of Page

Yuukale
Acolyte

Brazil
9 Posts

Posted - 11 Sep 2013 :  18:31:52  Show Profile  Visit Yuukale's Homepage Send Yuukale a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Markustay

quote:

Yes, its entirely possible - Elaine may have just been using an in-setting term (somewhat incorrectly). There is at at least one other terminology error (due to the differences between FR's elves and core), and there is also a MAJOR continuity snafu as well.

Anyhow, I think the term 'The Weave' is FR-specific (I don't think Ed even called it that - he described it as a 'web of magical energy' that the TSR guys ran with), and it is just the local portion of a greater (planer) magical web - sort of like one of those 'fundamental forces of the universe'. If we take this one step further (and blend the RW occurrence of the term with the lore), we could say that thats what the Elves called magical energy, and after 37K+ years, thats what everyone else on Toril calls it now too.

Thus, 'The Weave' could be a Faerie term, and Mystra controls the local (Realmspace) portion of it, which is just a single 'web' within the greater 'Weave'. Her giving divine sentience to the Realms magical web leads to it being more powerful, through worship and other things. The Sarrukh (who predated the Elves by quite a bit) referred to magical lore as 'scales of the world serpent', which also indicates the 'The Weave' may have been a fey/Elven concept (since every ancient/creator race would have their own term for that energy).

And since the theory is that the Fey originated on Toril (as a creator race), and they created the Elves (who later returned to Toril), it really all comes full circle, and it could be that 'The Weave' has always bean Toril's Weave, which got extended into Faerie by the Fey. In fact, Faerie may be a physical manifestation of The Weave itself (thus the Fey fled into The Weave, and created their world whole-cloth).

That makes perfect sense in regards to the quote - Faerie/The Feywild now bleeds into almost every plane/sphere, but it would be strongest where it originated from. Its 'roots' would be there.

Markus, that's a quite interesting theory, but I do have some doubts regarding it:

What are the evidences for the elves being created by the fey in Toril? Didn't they all come with Durothil and Sharlario? (Though I didn't find evidence that the Sylvan Elves (Sy'tel'quess) were with the Sun and Moon escaping from Tintageer)

Besides, when you say "the fey created the elves", do you mean the Seldarine?

Edit:
quote:
Originally posted by Dennis

quote:
Originally posted by Kentinal

And yet in RotA, it was mentioned and showed pretty clearly that, after the war, the High Mages of Evareska drew magic from the Weave to repair their broken mythal, with the exception of Galaeron, who drew from the SW instead.

Araevin Teshurr himself in the Last Mythal uses the Weave to tamper with the Drannan mythal.

Edited by - Yuukale on 11 Sep 2013 18:44:22
Go to Top of Page

CorellonsDevout
Great Reader

USA
2708 Posts

Posted - 11 Sep 2013 :  22:21:13  Show Profile Send CorellonsDevout a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Demzer

Well, if the Seldarine don't behave following Mystra's rules she may threaten to kick them out of using magic within Realmspace.

Than Corellon will calmly remind her that while she died 3 times and all her servant deities (Savras, Azuth and Velsharoon) are gone, he has taken an eye off of Gruumsh and kicked Lolth underground, Labelas Enoreth has battled and won against Clangeddin and at this point Mystra will probably fake an emergency call from her Chosens and disappear.

Jokes aside, in theory anyone and anything in Realmspace has to abide Mystra's Laws regarding any type of magic (unless she's dead ... again).

I can't help but be amused by this

Go to Top of Page

Dreamstalker
Acolyte

USA
47 Posts

Posted - 11 Sep 2013 :  23:40:03  Show Profile Send Dreamstalker a Private Message  Reply with Quote
In second and third edition at least, divine portfolio's were limited but only within a single pantheon. Mystra in addition to being the Weave (the skin over the field of magical energy permeating Toril) is the God of Magic in the Faerunian Pantheon. Correllon on the other hand is the God of Magic in the Elven Pantheon. This limitation on portfolio ownership allowed fine distinctions. So the Elemental Gods could hold dominion over their specific elemental magics. There can be gods of particular schools. And so on. In a sense, the Seldarine are generally all considered to be gods of magic, but just Correllon is the God of Magic in a general sense.
Go to Top of Page

Dalor Darden
Great Reader

USA
4211 Posts

Posted - 12 Sep 2013 :  00:00:22  Show Profile Send Dalor Darden a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It isn't hard to imagine an Elf God being a God OF Magic...as in he is made of magic.

I would hazard a guess that ol' pointy ears is just as much a part of magic as Mystra is...but being Multi-Spheric makes him less concretely connected to the Magic of Faerun.

The Old Grey Box and AD&D for me!
Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7989 Posts

Posted - 12 Sep 2013 :  00:58:56  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Elves are supposed to be organically or naturally attuned to magic in ways that humans cannot fathom. I don‘t recall elves losing this intangible distinction, nor losing any of the racial abilities, during any of the weave-failure interregna.

Drow possess natural magics as well, once gifted by Lolth (or by somebody; although not Corellon or Mystra) which never eemed to have suffered from absent/malfunctioning Weave ... not in the Realms, not in any other world.

[/Ayrik]
Go to Top of Page

Therise
Master of Realmslore

1272 Posts

Posted - 12 Sep 2013 :  01:05:10  Show Profile Send Therise a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Its in Evermeet: Island of Elves by Elaine Cunniungham. IIRC, its when the elves first arrived in Faerūn after the destruction of Tintageer.

It is that novel, but technically it's the goddess Araushnee (aka Lolth) who first calls it the "Weave" and refers to it as strong. And as the goddess of weavers, how could she see magic in any other way?

I suspect that the elves generally probably thought of magic as a Weave, and this concept transferred to humans when the elves first taught them (i.e. the early Netherese) elvish magic. Elvish magic often relies on cooperative effort, pulling energy threads this way and that, and working in harmony to create a whole. To pull one thread too heavily can unravel a weaving, and the cooperative nature meant that spirit and life were an inherent component in casting. Where humans see power to use, elves see fey lines, patterns, swirling energy nodes, colors, holes, thin spots, and are concerned with consequences.

Compare this with what the Netherese evolved for their spells: Magic is seen as a "field" that can be tapped into, energy to be used until it's depleted (e.g. mythallar). For the Netherese, magic became about utilizing a resource, like stone or wood, with no real thought given to consequences or balance.

Then think about how magic must have changed down the centuries, with places like Myth Drannor where theories and beliefs about magic would blend and evolve. The spells used in contemporary Faerun are a result of mixed ideaologies and theories, and the users' intentions and goals. It's why mages like Elminster argue that magic is an Art, that it has moods and feelings, and that it's intimately tied to life and the multiverse on many levels.

But yeah, the concept of magic as a "Weave" may have been because of the elves, and Lolth's interest in using that power.

Female, 40-year DM of a homebrew-evolved 1E Realms, including a few added tidbits of 2E and 3E lore; played originally in AD&D, then in Rolemaster. Be a DM for your kids and grandkids, gaming is excellent for families!

Edited by - Therise on 12 Sep 2013 01:09:02
Go to Top of Page

_Jarlaxle_
Senior Scribe

Germany
584 Posts

Posted - 13 Sep 2013 :  12:28:56  Show Profile Send _Jarlaxle_ a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

Do you have any idea where did you read this quote? Was it in Evermeet (dang, that's about the only book on non-moonshae elves that I haven't read.

Its Araushnee who notices this when she visits the world where she finds Malar to help her in her plan to take over the seldarine. Shortly after Malar too notices that the weave is strong there. But I am not 100% sure if the world they are on is Toril or another one.
Go to Top of Page

Quale
Master of Realmslore

1757 Posts

Posted - 14 Sep 2013 :  14:29:02  Show Profile Send Quale a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The Weave is information about how to harness natural forces and energies of Realmspace. It is sentient and it changes/evolves/reboots when it needs to. In the beginning, possibly when Mystra was Lurue, magic was rawer, and fey/elves could sense a bit more truth about the Weave. But now it appears infinitely more difficult. Other races that use magic have added their own information, from their unique perspectives. Mystra could be like the sharnstuff, made of all of them. Elven magic uses parts of the Weave, and other magical knowledge that is not the Weave (from outdated versions of the Weave, from arcane traditions that never were the Weave, and from other crystal spheres/planes).
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 14 Sep 2013 :  14:54:30  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
LOL - so Lolth named it the Weave? Interesting....

As for the connections between the Fey and the elves, most of that is in the GhotR now. Fey were a Creator Race, then they left for Faerie (and its unknown if it was already there, or they created it at that point), and then (much later)the Fey send Elves to Toril to battle dragons (which I always found odd, but someone must have had ideas in that regard). We know from Elaine's novel that Tintageer was IN Faerie - the place where the Fey went. The blurbs in GHotR seem to intimate that the Fey somehow 'ruled' the Elves, which shows a relationship. The Fey are called a 'creator race' because of all the races that have been spawned by them (magically, evolution, cross-breeding, whatever). Nothing says the fey created the Elves, but everything points to that, on some level.

Now, in my own Homebrew musings, I have it where the seldarine were actually Archfey and S'Eladrin (Noble/Royal Eladrin), which explains the relationship between the Seldarine and Fey. As for the Elves, I believe they are the 'lessened' ('the dwindling') versions of Fey - those fey created after death came into the world (because death did not exist before the War of Light & Darkness, which lead to the 1st Sundering, which the Fey avoided when they left Toril). All fey born after the exodus would be Elves instead. El'ves means "loyal children", and El'adrin means "wayard children" (also part of my homebrew etymology musings). The El'Adrin left the Fey court and created their own holdings in Faerie (like Tintageer), and the El'ves stayed with the Fey... until sent out into the multiverse to stop the dragon epidemic (or wherever they were going with that storyline).

The separation of the fey from their cynosure (see Goodman Games The Complete Guide to the Fey - its basically their 'anchor') results in dwindling - a lessening of what they are. Thus, the Eladrin are stronger (especially planer Eladrin) because they have stayed closer to the source of their power (Faerie itself), but the Elves have dwelt on the mortal worlds longer, so are far less powerful (think less 'angelic', or 'saintly', whatever.)

Thus, Elves and Eladrin are the same thing, but at the same time, a bit different because of their histories (which blends ALL of the earlier lore with 4e lore... thank you, thank you... I'll be here all week... try the veal...)

Edited by - Markustay on 14 Sep 2013 14:57:57
Go to Top of Page

Drustan Dwnhaedan
Learned Scribe

USA
324 Posts

Posted - 14 Sep 2013 :  18:00:39  Show Profile Send Drustan Dwnhaedan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by _Jarlaxle_

quote:

quote:

Its Araushnee who notices this when she visits the world where she finds Malar to help her in her plan to take over the seldarine. Shortly after Malar too notices that the weave is strong there. But I am not 100% sure if the world they are on is Toril or another one.

I'm pretty sure it's supposed to be Toril.
Go to Top of Page

ksu_bond
Learned Scribe

New Zealand
214 Posts

Posted - 14 Sep 2013 :  21:40:27  Show Profile Send ksu_bond a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

LOL - so Lolth named it the Weave? Interesting....

Now, in my own Homebrew musings, I have it where the seldarine were actually Archfey and S'Eladrin (Noble/Royal Eladrin)...

I love this idea!!!
Go to Top of Page

Nicolai Withander
Master of Realmslore

Denmark
1093 Posts

Posted - 15 Sep 2013 :  23:15:13  Show Profile Send Nicolai Withander a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Therise

There are many deities of magic, and there are also many forms of magic (rune magic, elvish magic, table magic, spellsong, etc.).

Does this mean that these forms of magic work in Dead-magic zones?
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000