Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Sages of Realmslore
 Night Masks lore: Regalia of the Night King
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 19 Apr 2011 :  18:54:18  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
So I'm running a campaign set in Westgate (pre-4e) and also writing a novel set in Westgate (post-4e), and this question came up:

What became of the Argraal and Flying Fangs of the Night King, which were the items Orbakh/Orlak II/Manshoon "inherited" upon taking over the Night Masks?

They're described at length in C&D page 50-52, then mentioned again in Lords of Darkness p 40, where they're discussed in the past tense. It says on p 42 that one of the Dukes was "the last victim to fall beneath the Night King's Flying Fangs before that magic weapon was destroyed."

What I can't for the life of me find is a clear reference to what became of the items--how and when they were destroyed, whether the argraal still exists, etc., etc.

Note that this is me asking for canonical realsmlore only. If you'd like to share a speculation with me, please mark it as such. If anyone has a reference to share, I would be very much in your debt.

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

'Tis easier to destroy than to create.

Author of a number of Realms novels (GHOSTWALKER, DEPTHS OF MADNESS, and the SHADOWBANE series), contributor to the NEVERWINTER CAMPAIGN GUIDE and SHADOWFELL: GLOOMWROUGHT AND BEYOND, Twitch DM of the Dungeon Scrawlers, currently playing "The Westgate Irregulars"

Hoondatha
Great Reader

USA
2449 Posts

Posted - 19 Apr 2011 :  19:57:29  Show Profile  Visit Hoondatha's Homepage Send Hoondatha a Private Message  Reply with Quote
This is pure speculation, but iirc LoD is one of the earlier, 3.0 FR products. There are some cases of things or people (Sarya's son being the one that comes instantly to mind) that got removed simply because the then-new 3e system hadn't developed enough to support it. Sarya's son, for instance, was a psionicist in 2e, but the Dlargrageths' first appearance in 3e was before the 3e psionics handbook was published. Rather than convert him to something else, or hold off until psionics had been statted out, he was killed off-camera.

I'm afb right now, and can't check, but I think that happened in LoD. Maybe something similar happened with the Flying Fangs: there was something about them that couldn't get easily translated into 3e mechanics, so they were just written out.

Not much help, and a little depressing, but it's the best I've got for the moment. I'll do some more checking once I get home.

Doggedly converting 3e back to what D&D should be...
Sigh... And now 4e as well.
Go to Top of Page

Lirdolin
Learned Scribe

Germany
198 Posts

Posted - 19 Apr 2011 :  20:01:38  Show Profile  Visit Lirdolin's Homepage Send Lirdolin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Will look into this matter, but maybe someone who plays Neverwinter Nights might know if this happend in NWN2: Mysteries of Westgate where the player fight the Nightmasks and Manshoon /Night King?

After having read pg 40 of Lords of Darkness, it could be speculated, that after his research showed Manshoon that the artifacts were affecting his mind, he might have destroyed them himself. The text mentions that he didn't destroy the vampires he already created, because they were usefull minions. sounds to me that he wasn't happy with the artifacts and himself being forced to create vampires.

Edited by - Lirdolin on 19 Apr 2011 20:15:27
Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 19 Apr 2011 :  20:34:32  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hoondatha, that's exactly what I suspect happened. I'm just hoping for a canonical explanation somehow, so I don't get it wrong. (Particularly if I mention it in the book.)

Lirdolin, that explanation is rather compelling to me, and sounds very Manshoonish. Unless we find an actual textual reference, I'll probably do something like that. Though keep in mind that destroying an artifact isn't always as easy as you'd hope--and a "destroyed" artifact isn't always as destroyed as it seems.

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

Author of a number of Realms novels (GHOSTWALKER, DEPTHS OF MADNESS, and the SHADOWBANE series), contributor to the NEVERWINTER CAMPAIGN GUIDE and SHADOWFELL: GLOOMWROUGHT AND BEYOND, Twitch DM of the Dungeon Scrawlers, currently playing "The Westgate Irregulars"
Go to Top of Page

Brimstone
Great Reader

USA
3287 Posts

Posted - 20 Apr 2011 :  03:51:39  Show Profile Send Brimstone a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Sounds like you are up to something Evil Erik!

"These things also I have observed: that knowledge of our world is
to be nurtured like a precious flower, for it is the most precious
thing we have. Wherefore guard the word written and heed
words unwritten and set them down ere they fade . . . Learn
then, well, the arts of reading, writing, and listening true, and they
will lead you to the greatest art of all: understanding."
Alaundo of Candlekeep
Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 20 Apr 2011 :  15:18:48  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Brimstone

Sounds like you are up to something Evil Erik!
Aren't I always?

Anything, sages?

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31727 Posts

Posted - 20 Apr 2011 :  16:19:18  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hmmm. I'll admit, you've piqued my curiosity with the fate of the Argraal now, friend Erik.

Time to peruse my older books.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Quale
Master of Realmslore

1757 Posts

Posted - 21 Apr 2011 :  12:02:05  Show Profile Send Quale a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It's a waste to destroy such an artifact, Orbakh can't even cast Mordy's Disjunction
Go to Top of Page

Arioch
Learned Scribe

Italy
222 Posts

Posted - 26 Apr 2011 :  10:26:19  Show Profile  Visit Arioch's Homepage Send Arioch a Private Message  Reply with Quote
In my last campaign, as a way to destroy the vampiric Manshoon, one of my PGs (Maister Evans, the mage-thief) travelled in the past (just before the clones activation), stole and hid the items to prevent Manshoon, once awakened as a vampire, to use them. He also substituted the original objects with magical copies, capable of replicating some of the lesser powers of the originals (I do not remember exactly why the player chooses to act this way [:-)] ).

When Evans returned to his own time, the vampiric infestation of Westgate was no more, as the church of Torm/Tyr (again, I do not reemember exactly which church was installed in the city at the time with this task in the agenda) was able to handle ut with less problems.

Evans then retrieved the items from their hiding place and departed for Sigil (too many enemies were on his trails). He planned to sell the artifacts to some planar merchant there... (an incredibly intelligent mage, but not sage at all!!)

I know this is absolutely non-canon but I think that in a discussion everything can help in the end
Go to Top of Page

Icelander
Master of Realmslore

1864 Posts

Posted - 12 Nov 2011 :  15:33:36  Show Profile  Visit Icelander's Homepage Send Icelander a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Very good question.

Orbakh/Orlak II appears in my campaign and I did a double take at that line too. I cannot tell you how and why these items were destroyed, but I can say with reasonable certainty that if it did not happen in a computer game, it most likely happened off-screen.

I found no 2e or 3e source that had anything more than the LoD reference.

Za uspiekh nashevo beznadiozhnovo diela!

Forgotten Realms fans, please sign a petition to re-release the FR Interactive Atlas
Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6361 Posts

Posted - 01 Nov 2013 :  15:18:12  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I havent got DDI, but i wonder if this was the beginnings of Erik's Westgate article that was published in the last dragon magazine (428 or something).

Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions Candlekeep Archive
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 1
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 2
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 3
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 4
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 5
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 6
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 7
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 8
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 9

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 01 Nov 2013 :  15:27:21  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Not exactly, but I won't deny the relevance. I go to Candlekeep for lore all the time.

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 01 Nov 2013 :  15:52:53  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Also, neither 'death' nor 'destruction' means anything in D&D - both can easily be reversed.

Not something I like about the setting(s), but something that is true.

I guess what I am saying is, just because an artifact is destroyed, doesn't mean it can't come back anyway - artifacts are notoriously hard to destroy for good.

I cite both the Crystal Shard and the Crown of Horns as examples of 'restored' artifacts. Thus, if you want The Flying Fangs in your game or novel, you can have them.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Edited by - Markustay on 01 Nov 2013 15:53:32
Go to Top of Page

hashimashadoo
Master of Realmslore

United Kingdom
1150 Posts

Posted - 02 Nov 2013 :  16:31:20  Show Profile  Visit hashimashadoo's Homepage Send hashimashadoo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm fairly sure there's no canon mention of either the argraal or the biting blade after Lords of Darkness was published. Mysteries of Westgate is about a cursed domino mask and doesn't mention either of the others. Interestingly though, Manshoon's 4e incarnation, although not noted as possessing either artifact, is served by a group of vampire lords, who help him run the Zhentarim. There are a variety of arguments that could be made about why or how this is the case but the compulsions of the flying fangs is one of them.

When life turns it's back on you...sneak attack for extra damage.

Head admin of the FR wiki:

https://forgottenrealms.fandom.com/
Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 02 Nov 2013 :  17:02:59  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Manshoon and his vampiric servants are addressed in my Westgate article in October's Dragon. I highly suggest checking it out.

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

Go to Top of Page

hashimashadoo
Master of Realmslore

United Kingdom
1150 Posts

Posted - 02 Nov 2013 :  17:59:26  Show Profile  Visit hashimashadoo's Homepage Send hashimashadoo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I don't have a subscription these days or I would have already read it.

When life turns it's back on you...sneak attack for extra damage.

Head admin of the FR wiki:

https://forgottenrealms.fandom.com/
Go to Top of Page

Eilserus
Master of Realmslore

USA
1446 Posts

Posted - 03 Nov 2013 :  23:01:56  Show Profile Send Eilserus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The Westgate backdrop was great! I only wish wizards would have included one of those new beautiful maps, much like the Suzail and Daggerdale backdrops. Then again I'm a map-aholic. hehehe
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000