Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Sages of Realmslore
 Coins of vanished realms
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Faraer
Great Reader

3308 Posts

Posted - 01 Feb 2004 :  21:14:28  Show Profile  Visit Faraer's Homepage Send Faraer a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
A great way to make treasure memorable is to describe or name the coins. This is what I've got for the relics of past nations:

Cormanthyr: ... [Cormanthyr p. 63]
Athalantar: crown (gold) [Hand of Fire p. 2]
Waterdeep (ancient): toal (gold) [Campaign Guide to Undermountain p. 69]

Let's try a Realmslore hunt.

Shadowlord
Master of Realmslore

USA
1298 Posts

Posted - 01 Feb 2004 :  21:18:19  Show Profile  Visit Shadowlord's Homepage Send Shadowlord a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hmmm, lets see, I can't remember the book I got it from, but Sembia has ravens, suns, and the like.....

The Chosen of Vhaeraun
"Nature is governed by certain immutable rules. By virtue of claw and fang, the lion will always triumph over the goat.Given time, the pounding of the sea will wear away the stone. And when dark elves mingle with the lighter races, the offspring invariably take after the dark parent. It is all much the same. That which is greater shall prevail. Our numbers increase steadily, both through birth and conquest. The dark elves are the dominant race, so ordained by the gods." Ka'Narlist of the Ilythiiri.
Go to Top of Page

Faraer
Great Reader

3308 Posts

Posted - 01 Feb 2004 :  21:29:50  Show Profile  Visit Faraer's Homepage Send Faraer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yup -- I'm thinking of ancient coins, though, not the mints of existing states. That's its own thread, though, and my notes on modern coins are relatively complete. For instance, the copper/silver/electrum/gold/platinum currency of Sembia is steelpense/hawk/electrum/[various]/[none], while the mint of Selgaunt produces penny/raven/ring/fivestar/sun.
Go to Top of Page

Elrond Half Elven
Learned Scribe

United Kingdom
322 Posts

Posted - 01 Feb 2004 :  21:30:22  Show Profile  Visit Elrond Half Elven's Homepage Send Elrond Half Elven a Private Message  Reply with Quote
While this is not Ancient Nations this may be useful here:

In Cormyr, coinage is as follows:
Copper pieces= Copper thumbs
Silver pieces= Silver Falcons
Electrum Pieces= Blue eyes
Gold pieces= Golden lions
Platinum Pieces= Tricrowns

In Amn, coinage is as follows:
Copper pieces= Fandars
Silver pieces= tarans
Electrum Pieces= Centaurs or Decimes
Gold pieces= Dantars
Platinum Pieces= Roldons or pearls

In Calimport, coinage is as follows:
Copper pieces= unarches
Silver pieces= decarches
Electrum Pieces= centarches
Gold pieces= bicentas
Platinum Pieces= kilarches

In Waterdeep, coinage is as follows:
Copper pieces= Copper nibs
Silver pieces= Shards
Electrum Pieces= Moons
Gold pieces= Dragons
Platinum Pieces= Suns

Plus Waterdeep has two specials coins the Toal (2 gold piece value) and the Harbor Moon (50 gold piece value).

The Conversion Rates are as follows:
100cp= 100 copper pieces
= 10 silver pieces
= 2 Electrum pieces
= 1 gold piece
= 1/5 Platinum Piece.

From FRCS- A grand tour of the Realms page 26. Hope this is useful!
Hanx
Elrond

Once upon a midnight dreary, while i pondered, weak and weary,
Over many a quaint and curious volume of forgotten lore-
While i nodded, nearly napping, suddenly there came a tapping,
As of some one gently rapping, rapping at my chamber door.
-The Raven by Edgar Allan Poe
Go to Top of Page

Shadowlord
Master of Realmslore

USA
1298 Posts

Posted - 01 Feb 2004 :  21:39:52  Show Profile  Visit Shadowlord's Homepage Send Shadowlord a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Faraer

Yup -- I'm thinking of ancient coins, though, not the mints of existing states. That's its own thread, though, and my notes on modern coins are relatively complete. For instance, the copper/silver/electrum/gold/platinum currency of Sembia is steelpense/hawk/electrum/[various]/[none], while the mint of Selgaunt produces penny/raven/ring/fivestar/sun.

Oh, ancient coins....... Hmmm, I could give you drow coins, but I hardly think that's what you want, hmm?

The Chosen of Vhaeraun
"Nature is governed by certain immutable rules. By virtue of claw and fang, the lion will always triumph over the goat.Given time, the pounding of the sea will wear away the stone. And when dark elves mingle with the lighter races, the offspring invariably take after the dark parent. It is all much the same. That which is greater shall prevail. Our numbers increase steadily, both through birth and conquest. The dark elves are the dominant race, so ordained by the gods." Ka'Narlist of the Ilythiiri.
Go to Top of Page

Faraer
Great Reader

3308 Posts

Posted - 03 Feb 2004 :  15:28:01  Show Profile  Visit Faraer's Homepage Send Faraer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
This information is surprisingly obscure, but I'm sure I've missed some.
Go to Top of Page

Bookwyrm
Great Reader

USA
4740 Posts

Posted - 03 Feb 2004 :  20:40:24  Show Profile  Visit Bookwyrm's Homepage Send Bookwyrm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The toal is a current Waterdeep coin, though, not a 'vanished' one.

Hell hath no fury like all of Candlekeep rising in defense of one of its own.

Download the brickfilm masterpiece by Leftfield Studios! See this page for more.
Go to Top of Page

Faraer
Great Reader

3308 Posts

Posted - 03 Feb 2004 :  20:53:28  Show Profile  Visit Faraer's Homepage Send Faraer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The modern toal is a brass coin, the ancient one is electrum one side, gold the other, three inches across, now considered good luck pieces.
Go to Top of Page

Bookwyrm
Great Reader

USA
4740 Posts

Posted - 03 Feb 2004 :  21:25:10  Show Profile  Visit Bookwyrm's Homepage Send Bookwyrm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ah. Okay, I didn't know that.

Hell hath no fury like all of Candlekeep rising in defense of one of its own.

Download the brickfilm masterpiece by Leftfield Studios! See this page for more.
Go to Top of Page

Dracandos the Spellsage
Senior Scribe

466 Posts

Posted - 03 Feb 2004 :  22:55:30  Show Profile  Visit Dracandos the Spellsage's Homepage Send Dracandos the Spellsage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Yup -- I'm thinking of ancient coins, though, not the mints of existing states. That's its own thread, though, and my notes on modern coins are relatively complete.

is the list u posted above ur "notes on modern coins?" or do u have anything more?

Death strips away the masks men don to hide their true nature - The Slayer's Guide to Undead

The Lord of Murder shall perish, but in his doom he shall spawn a score of mortal progeny. Chaos shall be sown from their passage - So Sayeth the Wise Alaundo

Whenever magic one doth weave, 'tis never ever wise to deceive - Elminster

Strength and power come from knowing and controlling what others do not, but never reveal all that you know - Vecna

I have been known to cast a blue mage spell now and again - Dracandos the Spellsage
Go to Top of Page

cpthero2
Great Reader

USA
2285 Posts

Posted - 28 Sep 2018 :  15:43:23  Show Profile  Visit cpthero2's Homepage Send cpthero2 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Great Reader Faraer,

I believe this includes a pretty comprehensive list of currency for the Realms:

http://forgottenrealms.wikia.com/wiki/Currency

Best regards,

quote:

A great way to make treasure memorable is to describe or name the coins. This is what I've got for the relics of past nations:

Cormanthyr: ... [Cormanthyr p. 63]
Athalantar: crown (gold) [Hand of Fire p. 2]
Waterdeep (ancient): toal (gold) [Campaign Guide to Undermountain p. 69]

Let's try a Realmslore hunt.

Higher Atlar
Spirit Soaring
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To: