Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Sages of Realmslore
 Seeking Psions
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Sourcemaster2
Senior Scribe

USA
361 Posts

Posted - 25 Jan 2004 :  21:13:40  Show Profile  Visit Sourcemaster2's Homepage Send Sourcemaster2 a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Excluding Salvatore's novels, are there any other books in which psionic characters play a significant role?

But what have all the passing years/Done, but breed new angers, fears?/Show me now an equal worth/To innocence I earned at birth.

Yasraena
Senior Scribe

USA
388 Posts

Posted - 25 Jan 2004 :  21:35:28  Show Profile  Visit Yasraena's Homepage Send Yasraena a Private Message  Reply with Quote
OK, this answer isn't FR based, but I thik it's relevant nonetheless.

I can't think of any other FR novels that feature Psionicists in them, but all the Dark Sun novels do.
Considering that Psionics are used to some extent by even the lowliest creatures (and even some plants) in that world, it's not a big surprise.

"Nindyn vel'uss malar verin z'klaen tlu kyone ulu naut doera nindel vel'bolen nind malar."
Yasraena T'Sarran
Harper of Silverymoon
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31726 Posts

Posted - 26 Jan 2004 :  05:44:18  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
This isn't an FR answer either (sorry Alaundo ), but a number of the earlier Planescape novels also had Psions as supporting characters...

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Dracandos the Spellsage
Senior Scribe

466 Posts

Posted - 27 Jan 2004 :  01:38:25  Show Profile  Visit Dracandos the Spellsage's Homepage Send Dracandos the Spellsage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

This isn't an FR answer either (sorry Alaundo ), but a number of the earlier Planescape novels also had Psions as supporting characters...

i know Planescape is separate from the FR, but it is entertwined in some ways, a prime example of this would be Vecna. so how would this be explained sages?

Death strips away the masks men don to hide their true nature - The Slayer's Guide to Undead

The Lord of Murder shall perish, but in his doom he shall spawn a score of mortal progeny. Chaos shall be sown from their passage - So Sayeth the Wise Alaundo

Whenever magic one doth weave, 'tis never ever wise to deceive - Elminster

Strength and power come from knowing and controlling what others do not, but never reveal all that you know - Vecna

I have been known to cast a blue mage spell now and again - Dracandos the Spellsage
Go to Top of Page

Faraer
Great Reader

3308 Posts

Posted - 27 Jan 2004 :  02:12:25  Show Profile  Visit Faraer's Homepage Send Faraer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Psionics is called the Invisible Art in the Realms, and it's well established in the setting, albeit as a very rare talent -- Steven Schend guessed in 1998 that there were 25 to 200 people in Toril with standard psionics. Elminster and Illistyl Elventree are so gifted, as are several kinds of monsters. The Invisible Art doesn't crop up much in novels apart from House Oblodra -- no bad thing.

Vecna has nothing to do with the Realms except for a dubious reference in a computer game. Still, the Realms' connection to many alternate worlds and planes is one of the setting's key premises (and one that persists in 3E, despite what some will tell you, with connections to Sigil and Limbo).

Edited by - Faraer on 27 Jan 2004 02:13:14
Go to Top of Page

Dracandos the Spellsage
Senior Scribe

466 Posts

Posted - 27 Jan 2004 :  22:15:01  Show Profile  Visit Dracandos the Spellsage's Homepage Send Dracandos the Spellsage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
but Vecna is found in D&D FR based source books. not planescape, so its not just computer games

Death strips away the masks men don to hide their true nature - The Slayer's Guide to Undead

The Lord of Murder shall perish, but in his doom he shall spawn a score of mortal progeny. Chaos shall be sown from their passage - So Sayeth the Wise Alaundo

Strength and power come from knowing and controlling what others do not, but never reveal all that you know - Vecna

I have been known to cast a blue mage spell now and again - Dracandos the Spellsage
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31726 Posts

Posted - 28 Jan 2004 :  02:30:51  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Vecna has appeared in almost every setting (excepting DL, for obvious reasons) TSR/WotC has published using the AD&D/D&D rules. Die Vecna Die, and Vecna Reborn being two prime examples. Both adventures took place in settings alternate to the standard 'Greyhawk' setting put forth by the core rulebooks. The first was a Planescape adventure in which the demigod challenged the power of the Lady of Pain, and the second took place in the Ravenloft setting, with Vecna seeking to restore some of his lost (due to the Dark Powers) abilities, among other things.

Go to Top of Page

Dracandos the Spellsage
Senior Scribe

466 Posts

Posted - 28 Jan 2004 :  19:56:26  Show Profile  Visit Dracandos the Spellsage's Homepage Send Dracandos the Spellsage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
what about the brief description in the Diety and Demigods book? that could be placed in the FR setting. so is it possible that Vecna could be placed on Faerun or somewhere on Toril? not Greyhawk or another setting but the FR on Toril?

Go to Top of Page

Faraer
Great Reader

3308 Posts

Posted - 28 Jan 2004 :  20:45:59  Show Profile  Visit Faraer's Homepage Send Faraer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Dracandos the Spellsage

but Vecna is found in D&D FR based source books. not planescape, so its not just computer games

Which?
Go to Top of Page

Dracandos the Spellsage
Senior Scribe

466 Posts

Posted - 29 Jan 2004 :  02:11:27  Show Profile  Visit Dracandos the Spellsage's Homepage Send Dracandos the Spellsage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
which what? which D&D books? look at Sages n my last post

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31726 Posts

Posted - 29 Jan 2004 :  08:38:43  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I didn't mention any other FR sourcebooks Dracandos...?

Go to Top of Page

Dracandos the Spellsage
Senior Scribe

466 Posts

Posted - 29 Jan 2004 :  22:23:35  Show Profile  Visit Dracandos the Spellsage's Homepage Send Dracandos the Spellsage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
i was refering 2 Faraer's post, i didnt know what he meant

Go to Top of Page

cpthero2
Great Reader

USA
2285 Posts

Posted - 28 Sep 2018 :  15:41:58  Show Profile  Visit cpthero2's Homepage Send cpthero2 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Senior Scribe Sourcemaster2,

Night Masks, which I am assuming you are referring too has it of course, but so does the book, Dissolution, which includes an Alhoon/Illithilich, that conspires to overthrow Menzobarranzan.

Best regards,

quote:
Originally posted by Sourcemaster2

Excluding Salvatore's novels, are there any other books in which psionic characters play a significant role?

Higher Atlar
Spirit Soaring
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000