Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Index of Realmsian NPCs for 3E?
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

Knightfall
Learned Scribe

Canada
148 Posts

Posted - 15 Jul 2013 :  16:51:31  Show Profile  Visit Knightfall's Homepage Send Knightfall a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Does anyone have an index of all the Forgotten Realms NPCs that appear in officially published sourcebooks for D&D v.3.0 and v.3.5? I'm mainly concerned with NPCs that have full write-ups, as the one for Elminster on p. 7 of the FRCS.

Ashe Ravenheart
Great Reader

USA
3243 Posts

Posted - 15 Jul 2013 :  17:21:59  Show Profile Send Ashe Ravenheart a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Check my signature.

I actually DO know everything. I just have a very poor index of my knowledge.

Ashe's Character Sheet

Alphabetized Index of Realms NPCs
Go to Top of Page

Knightfall
Learned Scribe

Canada
148 Posts

Posted - 16 Jul 2013 :  18:45:24  Show Profile  Visit Knightfall's Homepage Send Knightfall a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks.
Go to Top of Page

Joebing
Learned Scribe

USA
202 Posts

Posted - 16 Jul 2013 :  18:56:05  Show Profile Send Joebing a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Started work on compiling all of these into a pdf awhile ago...along with older FR NPCs that were not brought forward. Once it is done, I will let you know.

Now plugging away on mass conversion to 5e, as well as my imprint J. Halk Games.

http://www.facebook.com/JHalkGames

First adventure on DM Guild: Lair of Elaacrimalicros
Go to Top of Page

Ashe Ravenheart
Great Reader

USA
3243 Posts

Posted - 16 Jul 2013 :  20:40:49  Show Profile Send Ashe Ravenheart a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Joebing

Started work on compiling all of these into a pdf awhile ago...along with older FR NPCs that were not brought forward. Once it is done, I will let you know.

I made screenshot PDFs of the Realms NPC threads on WotC (after they started "archiving" stuff to make sure I didn't lose them). I could send you copies, if you want.

Ashe's Character Sheet

Go to Top of Page

Joebing
Learned Scribe

USA
202 Posts

Posted - 16 Jul 2013 :  20:43:16  Show Profile Send Joebing a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ashe Ravenheart

quote:
Originally posted by Joebing

I made screenshot PDFs of the Realms NPC threads on WotC (after they started "archiving" stuff to make sure I didn't lose them). I could send you copies, if you want.

Let me go through my files and make a list of what I have from there...I'll get back to you. Thanks.

Now plugging away on mass conversion to 5e, as well as my imprint J. Halk Games.

Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 16 Jul 2013 :  23:24:19  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Uh, I did this years ago and Alaundo should have posted the file I made, but it only had NPC's from sourcebooks/Dragon/Dungeon.

If it never did get posted, I still have a copy of the Excel file if anyone wants it. :) Plus the 1e/2e version.

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium

Edited by - Kuje on 16 Jul 2013 23:26:39
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36798 Posts

Posted - 16 Jul 2013 :  23:44:54  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kuje

Uh, I did this years ago and Alaundo should have posted the file I made, but it only had NPC's from sourcebooks/Dragon/Dungeon.

If it never did get posted, I still have a copy of the Excel file if anyone wants it. :) Plus the 1e/2e version.

I'd not mind getting that file again, friend Kuje. I can even post it on me own website to share out, if you no longer have that option yourself.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!

Edited by - Wooly Rupert on 16 Jul 2013 23:45:38
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 17 Jul 2013 :  00:59:07  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

I'd not mind getting that file again, friend Kuje. I can even post it on me own website to share out, if you no longer have that option yourself.

Sure, that would work. I could probably host it but meh, I don't have much time to code up a web page again or find a hosting site.

Sent you a PM also. :)

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Go to Top of Page

Joebing
Learned Scribe

USA
202 Posts

Posted - 17 Jul 2013 :  04:02:52  Show Profile Send Joebing a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

I wouldn't mind that either Kuje...would help a lot.

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36798 Posts

Posted - 17 Jul 2013 :  06:06:49  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Kuje's index of 3.x NPCs is online once more. Click here!

Go to Top of Page

Knightfall
Learned Scribe

Canada
148 Posts

Posted - 17 Jul 2013 :  07:31:39  Show Profile  Visit Knightfall's Homepage Send Knightfall a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Someone provided me that link over on The Piazza. It's a great looking file.
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 17 Jul 2013 :  12:03:58  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks. :) Wooly also has my 1e/2e version, so maybe he'll throw that up as well. :)

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36798 Posts

Posted - 17 Jul 2013 :  12:54:15  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Indeed!

pre-3E NPCs
And both files in a zip file

Go to Top of Page

TBeholder
Great Reader

2421 Posts

Posted - 17 Jul 2013 :  14:20:46  Show Profile Send TBeholder a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It's kind of weirdly organized, though - no headers, but with identical entries from different sources and every kit taken to a separate page.

People never wonder How the world goes round -Helloween
And even I make no pretense Of having more than common sense -R.W.Wood
It's not good, Eric. It's a gazebo. -Ed Whitchurch
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 17 Jul 2013 :  17:57:05  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Which one the 1e/2e one? It was the easiest way for me to figure out how to organize those hundreds of NPC's. It's by class and level... The 3e one is alphabetical.... And yes, the 3e one has all the sources listed since many NPC's changed from sourcebook to sourcebook.

quote:
Originally posted by TBeholder

It's kind of weirdly organized, though - no headers, but with identical entries from different sources and every kit taken to a separate page.

Edited by - Kuje on 17 Jul 2013 17:58:45
Go to Top of Page

Knightfall
Learned Scribe

Canada
148 Posts

Posted - 17 Jul 2013 :  18:07:58  Show Profile  Visit Knightfall's Homepage Send Knightfall a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

And yes, the 3e one has all the sources listed since many NPC's changed from sourcebook to sourcebook.

The only thing else I wish it had are source page numbers.
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 17 Jul 2013 :  18:22:41  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Oh. Yea. I could have put those in. Never crossed my mind to do that when I made it about seven years ago now. :)

quote:
Originally posted by Knightfall

quote:

And yes, the 3e one has all the sources listed since many NPC's changed from sourcebook to sourcebook.

Go to Top of Page

Emma Drake
Learned Scribe

USA
206 Posts

Posted - 17 Jul 2013 :  19:31:57  Show Profile  Visit Emma Drake's Homepage Send Emma Drake a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I was having a discussion recently about where the "blind spots" are in terms of FR products and I brought up that the world is so rich with NPCs, but you often have to have read all of the source books (and remember exactly where to find which NPCs!) or you don't realize (or recall) what you have to work with, as a DM. We threw around the idea of hosting a website where we would, over time, hope to build an encyclopedic resource of Realms NPCs. Then I brought up the idea of copyright and the conversation died, since no one really seemed to know if such a thing was possible when most of the material is copyrighted. I know, for example, that wikipedia has to be careful to paraphrase and cite material. But Ashe's signature leads to an index that references forum posts on the wizards website with what I thought would be copyrighted NPC builds (though some are unofficial builds, I think?).

Does anyone know how this works? What is allowed and what isn't?

"I am always here, all about you. You are never truly alone. I flow wherever life flows, wherever winds blow and water runs and the sun and moon chase each other, for there is magic in all things."

- Mystra (Ed Greenwood, Silverfall)

Edited by - Emma Drake on 17 Jul 2013 19:34:26
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 17 Jul 2013 :  21:08:25  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
To be honest, this always worried me when I created those documents and it still does. Wizards could have a large problem with those excel files if they wanted to since it contains almost every NPC up to 4e, except for the material I don't own (which isn't that much). It was another reason why I kind of summarized instead of putting in a lot of information.

So really, I don't have an answer but it's always been something I've worried over.

quote:
Originally posted by Emma Drake

I was having a discussion recently about where the "blind spots" are in terms of FR products and I brought up that the world is so rich with NPCs, but you often have to have read all of the source books (and remember exactly where to find which NPCs!) or you don't realize (or recall) what you have to work with, as a DM. We threw around the idea of hosting a website where we would, over time, hope to build an encyclopedic resource of Realms NPCs. Then I brought up the idea of copyright and the conversation died, since no one really seemed to know if such a thing was possible when most of the material is copyrighted. I know, for example, that wikipedia has to be careful to paraphrase and cite material. But Ashe's signature leads to an index that references forum posts on the wizards website with what I thought would be copyrighted NPC builds (though some are unofficial builds, I think?).

Does anyone know how this works? What is allowed and what isn't?

Go to Top of Page

Delwa
Master of Realmslore

USA
1270 Posts

Posted - 18 Jul 2013 :  03:30:39  Show Profile  Visit Delwa's Homepage Send Delwa a Private Message  Reply with Quote
That's some amazing work, Kuje. I now have a terrific offline resource for such things.
I am kind of surprised nobody mentioned this site. I found it in a Google search ages ago and is a great resource for all things Realms and 3E. As far as NPC's go, it doesn't list page numbers, but if you click the NPC name, it does list the sourcebook or magazine issue.

- Delwa Aunglor
I am off to slay yon refrigerator and spoil it's horde. Go for the cheese, Boo!

"The Realms change; seldom at the speed desired of those who strive, but far too quickly for those who resist." - The Simbul, taken from the Forgotten Realms Campaign Conspectus
Go to Top of Page

Green Giant
Seeker

USA
63 Posts

Posted - 18 Jul 2013 :  16:06:40  Show Profile Send Green Giant a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I had forgotten about Ashe's work in creating a linked index to those threads. If I haven't said it, thanks for all the work.

I kinda wish I had the time now to go back and update some of the old stats. Maybe convert them to Pathfinder. But I doubt I'd be able to post them.

Go to Top of Page

Emma Drake
Learned Scribe

USA
206 Posts

Posted - 18 Jul 2013 :  16:13:24  Show Profile  Visit Emma Drake's Homepage Send Emma Drake a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Green Giant

I had forgotten about Ashe's work in creating a linked index to those threads. If I haven't said it, thanks for all the work.

I kinda wish I had the time now to go back and update some of the old stats. Maybe convert them to Pathfinder. But I doubt I'd be able to post them.

This is a little off-topic, but I clicked on the first link in your signature and noticed that you preface with saying that WoTC banned the discussion of novels on their boards? Is that because there was just too much flaming? Is that still the case?

"I am always here, all about you. You are never truly alone. I flow wherever life flows, wherever winds blow and water runs and the sun and moon chase each other, for there is magic in all things."

Go to Top of Page

Ashe Ravenheart
Great Reader

USA
3243 Posts

Posted - 18 Jul 2013 :  16:15:21  Show Profile Send Ashe Ravenheart a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

This is a little off-topic, but I clicked on the first link in your signature and noticed that you preface with saying that WoTC banned the discussion of novels on their boards? Is that because there was just too much flaming? Is that still the case?

Heh... old quotes. No one is really sure WHY they banned novel discussions, but there were a lot of people that would complain about RSE's and such.

Ashe's Character Sheet

Go to Top of Page

Ashe Ravenheart
Great Reader

USA
3243 Posts

Posted - 18 Jul 2013 :  16:17:26  Show Profile Send Ashe Ravenheart a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

*cough*my current project*cough*

I'm actually putting them into Hero Labs so I can get "Stock Hero" files together for download. Although, because there's no Epic-level in Pathfinder, I'm waiting on the release of there Mythic rules to update characters like Elminster, the Seven Sisters, and Szass Tam.

Ashe's Character Sheet

Go to Top of Page

Emma Drake
Learned Scribe

USA
206 Posts

Posted - 18 Jul 2013 :  16:20:38  Show Profile  Visit Emma Drake's Homepage Send Emma Drake a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

I'm actually putting them into Hero Labs so I can get "Stock Hero" files together for download. Although, because there's no Epic-level in Pathfinder, I'm waiting on the release of there Mythic rules to update characters like Elminster, the Seven Sisters, and Szass Tam.

I posted earlier a question about copyright issues. Since this seems to be a big hobby for you, what do you know about that?

Go to Top of Page

Green Giant
Seeker

USA
63 Posts

Posted - 18 Jul 2013 :  16:40:29  Show Profile Send Green Giant a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

WizO Big Sister put in that preface. And yes, there was a lot of flaming and attacks on the authors going on in the novel forum. It got so bad they closed that forum and banned any novel discussions. I'm not sure if the ban is still in effect but I wouldn't take the chance.

Besides the CK forum is a better place to have a discussion on FR novels and sometimes the authors post themselves.

Go to Top of Page

TBeholder
Great Reader

2421 Posts

Posted - 18 Jul 2013 :  17:01:52  Show Profile Send TBeholder a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Which one the 1e/2e one? It was the easiest way for me to figure out how to organize those hundreds of NPC's. It's by class and level...
As a result, it's either you already know where, or auto-search. I.e. they effectively aren't organized in a meaningful way. A cool collection, but it ends up just spread into separate jars semi-randomly.
A worse problem is that you equal kits to classes, and that's plain wrong. Kits are not unambiguous - e.g. there can be Fighter (Swashbuckler) and Thief (Swashbuckler). And maybe even Paladin (Swashbuckler), who knows?
quote:
Originally posted by Knightfall

Can be supplemented with Candlekeep's FR Index, though.

quote:
Originally posted by Delwa

I am kind of surprised nobody mentioned this site.
It's helpful sometimes, but it got a lot of material on a few subjects, rather than a little on many.
Kuje's collection is an index, this one isn't.

People never wonder How the world goes round -Helloween
And even I make no pretense Of having more than common sense -R.W.Wood
It's not good, Eric. It's a gazebo. -Ed Whitchurch

Edited by - TBeholder on 18 Jul 2013 17:42:08
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36798 Posts

Posted - 18 Jul 2013 :  17:09:48  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

quote:

Heh... old quotes. No one is really sure WHY they banned novel discussions, but there were a lot of people that would complain about RSE's and such.

And they were very zealous in enforcing that ban -- even discussing the possibility of a particular person writing a novel was enough to get an official warning. I know this from personal experience.

It was so bad that I joked about "novel" being the "n-word" over there.

I believe the ban has long since been lifted, but I won't go back to those forums, so I don't know.

Edited by - Wooly Rupert on 18 Jul 2013 17:11:30
Go to Top of Page

Ashe Ravenheart
Great Reader

USA
3243 Posts

Posted - 18 Jul 2013 :  17:26:26  Show Profile Send Ashe Ravenheart a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

quote:

I posted earlier a question about copyright issues. Since this seems to be a big hobby for you, what do you know about that?

I know that I won't be distributing the files. I'm creating them for personal use and, if some friends would like a copy, I'll consider it. The portfolio NPCs in Hero Labs even have a section where you can list the source for the NPC, but I don't trust Wizbro's stance on copyright material to make them free to anyone that wants them. Heck, I stopped putting my Pathfinder versions of NPCs on the boards because they have it in the Terms of Service on the forums that any material posted there, unless copyrighted elsewhere, is their property that they can do with what they want (I don't know if this is still the case since it's been years since I've been on, though).

Ashe's Character Sheet

Go to Top of Page

Jeremy Grenemyer
Great Reader

USA
2717 Posts

Posted - 18 Jul 2013 :  17:32:36  Show Profile Send Jeremy Grenemyer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

We threw around the idea of hosting a website where we would, over time, hope to build an encyclopedic resource of Realms NPCs. Then I brought up the idea of copyright and the conversation died, since no one really seemed to know if such a thing was possible when most of the material is copyrighted.
The Forgotten Realms wiki is doing this in the form of category lists for all kinds of NPCs, along with citations where you can find the NPC.

Follow this link to Elminster's page on the wiki, then scroll down to the bottom for the list of categories he's a part of to get an idea of how they organize things.

This may not be quite what you're after, but it's close.

As for novels on the WotC forums, the WotC novels book club is going strong. You'll find established Realms authors posting there too.

Look for me and my content at EN World (user name: sanishiver).
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000