Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Index of Realmsian NPCs for 3E?
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 18 Jul 2013 :  18:44:28  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Uh, you have me really confused with this reply. They are not organized by kits. The groupings that I used for the 1e/2e version are classes, that's how they are written up in the old PHB's and in the FR material. There are no kits included in that file since every tag I used is straight from sourcebooks. Plus they are organized by level, starting at 1st and going to the highest at the end unless a level wasn't listed.

So I am really confused on what you are talking about.

quote:
Originally posted by TBeholder

As a result, it's either you already know where, or auto-search. I.e. they effectively aren't organized in a meaningful way. A cool collection, but it ends up just spread into separate jars semi-randomly.
A worse problem is that you equal kits to classes, and that's plain wrong. Kits are not unambiguous - e.g. there can be Fighter (Swashbuckler) and Thief (Swashbuckler). And maybe even Paladin (Swashbuckler), who knows?

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium

Edited by - Kuje on 18 Jul 2013 18:49:30
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 19 Jul 2013 :  10:42:47  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Oh yea, I meant to say this earlier but got distracted. So, thanks for the compliment. :)

quote:
Originally posted by Delwa

That's some amazing work, Kuje. I now have a terrific offline resource for such things.
I am kind of surprised nobody mentioned this site. I found it in a Google search ages ago and is a great resource for all things Realms and 3E. As far as NPC's go, it doesn't list page numbers, but if you click the NPC name, it does list the sourcebook or magazine issue.

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium
Go to Top of Page

Delwa
Master of Realmslore

USA
1270 Posts

Posted - 19 Jul 2013 :  17:35:38  Show Profile  Visit Delwa's Homepage Send Delwa a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kuje

Oh yea, I meant to say this earlier but got distracted. So, thanks for the compliment. :)

You're welcome. It's already given me a few NPC ideas for next weekend's session. Now I just need to brush up on my Excel usage...

- Delwa Aunglor
I am off to slay yon refrigerator and spoil it's horde. Go for the cheese, Boo!

"The Realms change; seldom at the speed desired of those who strive, but far too quickly for those who resist." - The Simbul, taken from the Forgotten Realms Campaign Conspectus
Go to Top of Page

Knightfall
Learned Scribe

Canada
148 Posts

Posted - 28 Jul 2013 :  18:08:01  Show Profile  Visit Knightfall's Homepage Send Knightfall a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Next question: Has anyone attempted to come up with exact ages for the most important NPCs, as of 1372 DR?
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36798 Posts

Posted - 28 Jul 2013 :  18:44:01  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Knightfall

Next question: Has anyone attempted to come up with exact ages for the most important NPCs, as of 1372 DR?

For a lot of them, we don't have anything approximately a date of birth, or anything approaching a specifically designated age. It was only by doing the relevant math, for example, that I determined that 1370s Mirt was at least 120 -- and THO and Ed indicated he was well past that.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Knightfall
Learned Scribe

Canada
148 Posts

Posted - 28 Jul 2013 :  19:31:44  Show Profile  Visit Knightfall's Homepage Send Knightfall a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:

For a lot of them, we don't have anything approximately a date of birth, or anything approaching a specifically designated age. It was only by doing the relevant math, for example, that I determined that 1370s Mirt was at least 120 -- and THO and Ed indicated he was well past that.

I did notice that the FR wiki has some birth and death dates listed for the various NPCs, but I wasn't sure how accurate those numbers are.

By its listing, Elminster is 1,160 years old as of 1372 DR; Drizzt is 75 years old; Wulfgar is 33 years old; Khelben is 958 years old; Laeral is 607 years old; Alusair Obarskyr is 37 years old; etc, etc.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36798 Posts

Posted - 28 Jul 2013 :  23:04:20  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

quote:

I did notice that the FR wiki has some birth and death dates listed for the various NPCs, but I wasn't sure how accurate those numbers are.

By its listing, Elminster is 1,160 years old as of 1372 DR; Drizzt is 75 years old; Wulfgar is 33 years old; Khelben is 958 years old; Laeral is 607 years old; Alusair Obarskyr is 37 years old; etc, etc.

Those all seem about right -- most that handful of NPCs were given years of birth. I don't think Drizzt was given a year of birth (I could be wrong); his age (which was retconned, by the way) is inferred from the fact his life his highly detailed.

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Knightfall
Learned Scribe

Canada
148 Posts

Posted - 29 Jul 2013 :  01:21:26  Show Profile  Visit Knightfall's Homepage Send Knightfall a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yeah, I figured some of what is there are estimates at best, but it's a good starting point for me. One sourcebook I want to get a handle on regarding ages (and age ranges) is the AD&D 2E Heroes' Lorebook. I know that a few of the NPCs are given exact ages, but it doesn't give a in-game year to go along with the book (that I could find). If the info on the wiki is correct, then the corresponding Dale Reckoning year should be equal to 1371 DR.

How did I get this? Well, I only looked at the entry for Alicia Kendrick (so far), which states that she is 25 years old at the present date. Looking at the entry for the wiki shows she was born in 1346 DR. So I just added 25 years... 1371 DR.

But Drizzt is listed as being around 140 years old, which would not match what is on the wiki, so I can't say for certain that 1371 DR is the canonical date for Heroes' Lorebook. It might not even be possible to come up with semi-official ruling for the ages ranges in the book.

Edited by - Knightfall on 29 Jul 2013 01:28:10
Go to Top of Page

Knightfall
Learned Scribe

Canada
148 Posts

Posted - 29 Jul 2013 :  01:46:21  Show Profile  Visit Knightfall's Homepage Send Knightfall a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Given exact ages in Heroes' Lorebook...

Alicia Kendrick = 25
Alusair Obarskyr = 35 *
Gwydion = 32
Zaranda Star = 38

*Age is one year off, as given on the FR wiki, if the book is set at 1371 DR.

Edited by - Knightfall on 29 Jul 2013 01:49:00
Go to Top of Page

Xnella Moonblade-Thann
Learned Scribe

USA
234 Posts

Posted - 29 Jul 2013 :  07:31:39  Show Profile Send Xnella Moonblade-Thann a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Heroes' Lorebook seems to be "written" around 1364 DR...I found a reference in Arilyn Moonblade's bio and again the same reference in Danilo Thann's bio...call me biased if you must but those are the two examples in the Heroes' Lorebook that stand out to me as the reference to the Realms year it was written in.

"Sweet water and light laughter until next we meet." - traditional elven farewell

Please forgive any spelling and grammer errors, as my android touch-screen phone has no spellchecker. If I do make a grammer mistake, please let me know and I'll try to fix it.

New laptop, still trying to sort my "scrolls" on its shelves...and when will this cursed thing stop doing things I tell it not to?
Go to Top of Page

Knightfall
Learned Scribe

Canada
148 Posts

Posted - 29 Jul 2013 :  07:42:09  Show Profile  Visit Knightfall's Homepage Send Knightfall a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Xnella Moonblade-Thann

Heroes' Lorebook seems to be "written" around 1364 DR...I found a reference in Arilyn Moonblade's bio and again the same reference in Danilo Thann's bio...call me biased if you must but those are the two examples in the Heroes' Lorebook that stand out to me as the reference to the Realms year it was written in.

To what reference are you referring

New Olamn

Edited by - Knightfall on 29 Jul 2013 07:57:11
Go to Top of Page

Xnella Moonblade-Thann
Learned Scribe

USA
234 Posts

Posted - 29 Jul 2013 :  08:44:19  Show Profile Send Xnella Moonblade-Thann a Private Message  Reply with Quote
From Arilyn's bio, pg 18 of the Heroes' Lorebook:
History: "...She and Danilo remained partners for two years and engaged in a variety of tasks for the Harpers. Their last assignment together was in Tethyr, where Arilyn penetrated an assassin's guild and saved Danilo's life."
Motivations/Goals: "...Before Danilo left her to return to Waterdeep, he confided in her that he loved her."

From Danilo's bio, pg 37 of the Heroes' Lorebook:
History: "...For two years he and Arilyn worked together as partners, and they were last together in Tethyr. When an assassin's guild marked Danilo as a target, however, Arilyn forced him to teleport back to Waterdeep.

Aye, I found a reference to New Olamn in Danilo's bio...and totally by surprise! Plus the little tidbits of some of the fellow members of Music and Mayhem just added to my belief that Heroes' Lorebook was written around 1364 DR. And the info on Arilyn's moonblade and the power she first gave it (that of Danilo being able to wield it without getting zapped) is still active, not the power she gave it after aiding the elves of Tethir (that of always being summoned to help them when her skills are needed).

"Sweet water and light laughter until next we meet." - traditional elven farewell

Please forgive any spelling and grammer errors, as my android touch-screen phone has no spellchecker. If I do make a grammer mistake, please let me know and I'll try to fix it.

New laptop, still trying to sort my "scrolls" on its shelves...and when will this cursed thing stop doing things I tell it not to?

Edited by - Xnella Moonblade-Thann on 29 Jul 2013 09:54:04
Go to Top of Page

Knightfall
Learned Scribe

Canada
148 Posts

Posted - 30 Jul 2013 :  00:57:53  Show Profile  Visit Knightfall's Homepage Send Knightfall a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

History: "...She and Danilo remained partners for two years and engaged in a variety of tasks for the Harpers. Their last assignment together was in Tethyr, where Arilyn penetrated an assassin's guild and saved Danilo's life."
Motivations/Goals: "...Before Danilo left her to return to Waterdeep, he confided in her that he loved her."

History: "...For two years he and Arilyn worked together as partners, and they were last together in Tethyr. When an assassin's guild marked Danilo as a target, however, Arilyn forced him to teleport back to Waterdeep.

I'll have to trust that you know more about the characters' history.

quote:

Aye, I found a reference to New Olamn in Danilo's bio...and totally by surprise! Plus the little tidbits of some of the fellow members of Music and Mayhem just added to my belief that Heroes' Lorebook was written around 1364 DR. And the info on Arilyn's moonblade and the power she first gave it (that of Danilo being able to wield it without getting zapped) is still active, not the power she gave it after aiding the elves of Tethir (that of always being summoned to help them when her skills are needed).

I guess it depends on whether or not you consider the info on the Forgotten Realms wiki to be 100% accurate or not. I found a reference under its 1366 DR page.

"The city's old bardic college in Waterdeep is rebuilt and named New Olamn."

The source for this is The Grand History of the Realms, which is a book I really want to get at some point.
Go to Top of Page

Xnella Moonblade-Thann
Learned Scribe

USA
234 Posts

Posted - 30 Jul 2013 :  02:06:35  Show Profile Send Xnella Moonblade-Thann a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

I'll have to trust that you know more about the characters' history.

Of course...they are my favorite Realms characters and I have almost every book that even mentions either one

quote:

quote:

I guess it depends on whether or not you consider the info on the Forgotten Realms wiki to be 100% accurate or not. I found a reference under its 1366 DR page.

"The city's old bardic college in Waterdeep is rebuilt and named New Olamn."

The source for this is The Grand History of the Realms, which is a book I really want to get at some point.

To me, the Forgotten Realms wiki is like Wikipedia: a place to start but not a concrete resource to use. As far as I'm concerned, the Wiki is unreliable. I'd rather use my lorebooks and official material, and of course Candlekeep, as my references when doing research on the Realms.

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31727 Posts

Posted - 30 Jul 2013 :  03:20:50  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Those all seem about right -- most that handful of NPCs were given years of birth. I don't think Drizzt was given a year of birth (I could be wrong); ...
I'm certainly no Drizzt-expert when it comes to pertinent facts about the dark elf, but for whatever reason, I'm suddenly recalling something I read in a book, once, about Drizzt's birth year being 1254 DR.

Can any of our more dedicated Drizzt-scribes confirm or deny this?

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Knightfall
Learned Scribe

Canada
148 Posts

Posted - 30 Jul 2013 :  07:11:51  Show Profile  Visit Knightfall's Homepage Send Knightfall a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

To me, the Forgotten Realms wiki is like Wikipedia: a place to start but not a concrete resource to use. As far as I'm concerned, the Wiki is unreliable. I'd rather use my lorebooks and official material, and of course Candlekeep, as my references when doing research on the Realms.

Well, I was going more by its citation of the Grand History of the Realms. Since I don't have that book, I can't confirm that the FR-wiki has it right.

Now, if some who does have it can confirm that it lists the rebuilding/renaming of Waterdeep's old bardic college New Olamn at 1366 DR, I'd appreciate it.

At the very least, I think we can say that the AD&D 2E Heroes' Lorebook is most likely set somewhere between 1364 to 1371 DR.

Edited by - Knightfall on 30 Jul 2013 07:13:53
Go to Top of Page

Knightfall
Learned Scribe

Canada
148 Posts

Posted - 30 Jul 2013 :  07:16:44  Show Profile  Visit Knightfall's Homepage Send Knightfall a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hmm, Thomas M. Reid was the project coordinator for HL. Is there a thread dedicated to him on Candlekeep? Does he ever visit here?

And Kim Mohan was in charge of development and editing.
Go to Top of Page

Xnella Moonblade-Thann
Learned Scribe

USA
234 Posts

Posted - 30 Jul 2013 :  07:16:59  Show Profile Send Xnella Moonblade-Thann a Private Message  Reply with Quote
New Olamn was begun as a bardic college in 1364 DR, but the building itself was not begun until 1366 DR, IIRC. I am away from my books ATM, but give me an hour and I'll look it up once I get home.

Go to Top of Page

Knightfall
Learned Scribe

Canada
148 Posts

Posted - 30 Jul 2013 :  07:25:21  Show Profile  Visit Knightfall's Homepage Send Knightfall a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

New Olamn was begun as a bardic college in 1364 DR, but the building itself was not begun until 1366 DR, IIRC. I am away from my books ATM, but give me an hour and I'll look it up once I get home.

I do have the 3E Waterdeep book, so if it noted in there, I should be able to find something on my end.

And I found the thread for Mr. Reid. I'm going to ask there if he knows if Heroes' Lorebook can be tied directly to one specific year or if it is more fluid than that.
Go to Top of Page

Xnella Moonblade-Thann
Learned Scribe

USA
234 Posts

Posted - 30 Jul 2013 :  08:26:59  Show Profile Send Xnella Moonblade-Thann a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I will admit I may be wrong on the possible year Heroes' Lorebook was written...GHotR tells me that New Olamn was indeed refounded towards the end of 1366 DR...so Heroes' Lorebook could have been written late 1366 DR or early 1367 DR...plus it mentions Zaranda Star as gathering support for the Reclamation Wars in Tethyr which goes along with what's written in her bio in Heroes's Lorebook as being a queen down there...

Go to Top of Page

Ze
Learned Scribe

Italy
147 Posts

Posted - 30 Jul 2013 :  09:02:06  Show Profile Send Ze a Private Message  Reply with Quote
In my notes, Villains' Lorebook is "written" in 1367 DR.
Could it be that Heroes' Lorebook is set in the same year?
Go to Top of Page

Xnella Moonblade-Thann
Learned Scribe

USA
234 Posts

Posted - 30 Jul 2013 :  09:14:51  Show Profile Send Xnella Moonblade-Thann a Private Message  Reply with Quote
possible...what is the year of publication in our world?

Go to Top of Page

Ze
Learned Scribe

Italy
147 Posts

Posted - 30 Jul 2013 :  09:27:06  Show Profile Send Ze a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Go to Top of Page

Xnella Moonblade-Thann
Learned Scribe

USA
234 Posts

Posted - 30 Jul 2013 :  09:33:38  Show Profile Send Xnella Moonblade-Thann a Private Message  Reply with Quote
that sounds about right...so that would put the Heroes's Lorebook around the same time since it was published in 1996

Go to Top of Page

Ashe Ravenheart
Great Reader

USA
3243 Posts

Posted - 30 Jul 2013 :  13:16:14  Show Profile Send Ashe Ravenheart a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

quote:

Those all seem about right -- most that handful of NPCs were given years of birth. I don't think Drizzt was given a year of birth (I could be wrong); ...
I'm certainly no Drizzt-expert when it comes to pertinent facts about the dark elf, but for whatever reason, I'm suddenly recalling something I read in a book, once, about Drizzt's birth year being 1254 DR.

From Grand History of the Realms, p. 132:

quote:
1297: DR Year of the Singing Skull

The son of Malice and Zaknafein Do’Urden, Drizzt of House Daermon Na’Shezbaeron, is born in Menzoberranzan. Using the power of the birth of Drizzt, his mother Malice was able to create a spell capable of defeating House Devir, and as a result House Do’Urden became the Ninth House of Menzoberranzan.

I actually DO know everything. I just have a very poor index of my knowledge.

Ashe's Character Sheet

Alphabetized Index of Realms NPCs
Go to Top of Page

Knightfall
Learned Scribe

Canada
148 Posts

Posted - 30 Jul 2013 :  22:17:44  Show Profile  Visit Knightfall's Homepage Send Knightfall a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

I will admit I may be wrong on the possible year Heroes' Lorebook was written...GHotR tells me that New Olamn was indeed refounded towards the end of 1366 DR...so Heroes' Lorebook could have been written late 1366 DR or early 1367 DR...plus it mentions Zaranda Star as gathering support for the Reclamation Wars in Tethyr which goes along with what's written in her bio in Heroes's Lorebook as being a queen down there...

quote:
Originally posted by Ze

In my notes, Villains' Lorebook is "written" in 1367 DR.
Could it be that Heroes' Lorebook is set in the same year?

Hmm, it sounds like 1367 DR might be a good date to place the two books in the world's timeline.

Ze, what's the reasoning for you placing Villains Lorebook at 1367 DR in your notes? Is it mentioned in the book? Did a TSr/WotC author give you an official answer for that date? Or was it through your own reasoning?

Edited by - Knightfall on 30 Jul 2013 22:18:28
Go to Top of Page

Ze
Learned Scribe

Italy
147 Posts

Posted - 30 Jul 2013 :  23:04:36  Show Profile Send Ze a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Ze, what's the reasoning for you placing Villains Lorebook at 1367 DR in your notes? Is it mentioned in the book? Did a TSr/WotC author give you an official answer for that date? Or was it through your own reasoning?

No official answer, sorry.
I've been slowly building my list of in-setting publication dates of sourcebooks by adding up pieces from Candlekeep, from other sites, and from an old link on WotC (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=books/fr/fictionlist) - that link is not working any more, but in the Wayback Archive it shoul work smoothly.
The dates I have double-checked personally, unfortunately, are not many, and the Villains' Lorebook was not among them.
Now, trying to answer to you, I have gone through that book in order to verify its in-setting year, and... 1367 was wrong!

The Villains' Lorebook actually mentions 1368 DR a few times, so we can't place it before that date. But it does mention Xeno Mirrormane as if he were still alive, and we know he died in Nightal of 1368 DR. So I would say late 1368 DR, but not at the end of the year - and with a little more time it might also be possible to identify a more specific timeframe.
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31727 Posts

Posted - 31 Jul 2013 :  03:06:52  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ashe Ravenheart

quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

quote:

From Grand History of the Realms, p. 132:

quote:
1297: DR Year of the Singing Skull

The son of Malice and Zaknafein Do’Urden, Drizzt of House Daermon Na’Shezbaeron, is born in Menzoberranzan. Using the power of the birth of Drizzt, his mother Malice was able to create a spell capable of defeating House Devir, and as a result House Do’Urden became the Ninth House of Menzoberranzan.

Thanks Ashe.

I couldn't remember whether it was in GHotR that I read Drizzt's birth year. [Though, I still seem to vaguely remember some reference prior to Grand History that mentioned the dark elf's birth year. Hmmm.]

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Ashe Ravenheart
Great Reader

USA
3243 Posts

Posted - 31 Jul 2013 :  12:55:20  Show Profile Send Ashe Ravenheart a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The SageThanks Ashe.

I couldn't remember whether it was in GHotR that I read Drizzt's birth year. [Though, I still seem to vaguely remember some reference prior to Grand History that mentioned the dark elf's birth year. Hmmm.]

I believe it's one of those items that was bandied about and argued over for years until it was made official in the GHotR. I know that, for a while, the timeline of the books was "out of whack" with the timeline of other Realms novels.

I actually DO know everything. I just have a very poor index of my knowledge.

Ashe's Character Sheet

Alphabetized Index of Realms NPCs
Go to Top of Page

Xnella Moonblade-Thann
Learned Scribe

USA
234 Posts

Posted - 31 Jul 2013 :  22:56:52  Show Profile Send Xnella Moonblade-Thann a Private Message  Reply with Quote
As I saw quoted somewhere around the forums, "even small details can slip through the cracks when the books go to the editors" Take for example Queen Amlaruil, in two books by two different authors and published at roughly the same tine, she had red-gold hair in one book and blue hair in another. I think both books had the same editors, but somehow that tiny detail slipped through.

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000