Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 Running the Realms
 The Unmaking Campaign
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Lothlos
Learned Scribe

USA
111 Posts

Posted - 23 Jun 2013 :  03:11:26  Show Profile Send Lothlos a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
In my Realms I am going to bave the PC's work with Szass Tam to complete the unmaking. Then they would be god's in the new realm with Szass being the over god of the new Forgotten Realms. It will be a world that is plenty dark enough for any good deed to matter. In fact the only force of good in the entire place will be the new character that my player roll up.

I am strongly considering that Halaster (who is alive and well in my Realms) would let Szass put one of his towers in Undermountain secretly in exchange for a place as a greater deity in the remade Forgotten Realms.

Killing off the Brotherhood of the Griffon will of course be part of the bargain with Szass Tam. Whether directly or indirectly. The pc's of course will have to keep how close Szass really is to being able to complete the ritual a secret and foil the plans of those working against him.

Any ideas or criticisms

The Road goes ever on and on
Down from the door where it began.
Now far ahead the Road has gone,
And I must follow, if I can,
Pursuing it with eager feet,
Until it joins some larger way
Where many paths and errands meet.
And whither then? I cannot say.
-J.R.R. Tolkien

xaeyruudh
Master of Realmslore

USA
1853 Posts

Posted - 23 Jun 2013 :  03:41:47  Show Profile  Visit xaeyruudh's Homepage Send xaeyruudh a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I haven't read the novels that this idea is based on, so I don't have an opinion about the overall plot.

Halaster's role is a tough cookie for me to swallow. I think Halaster should be at least Szass' equal (the world just doesn't make sense otherwise), and if I were one of your players I would have a tough time accepting the idea of Halaster (1) believing that Szass would succeed at something big enough to allow him to promote anyone to godhood, (2) trusting that Szass would keep his word and follow through on his promise, (3) trusting that Szass would continue to keep his word forever and not destroy him while/after elevating him to godhood, (4) trusting Szass to make an acceptable overgod, ... ya know what I mean?

This could be addressed by either (A) removing Halaster from the campaign and putting one of his apprentices (Trobriand maybe) in charge of Undermountain or (B) handwaving a declaration that Halaster is much-diminished in power and has some pressing reason to help Szass.

Just my two cents. I do like the drama of the idea, and the exploring an alternate scenario where something decidedly different from canon happens. My own thinking has been on those lines for a while now.
Go to Top of Page

Lothlos
Learned Scribe

USA
111 Posts

Posted - 23 Jun 2013 :  03:50:01  Show Profile Send Lothlos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I like the Trobriand idea thanks. It would not take much to make Halaster dead and Trobriand in charge of Undermountain pretending to be Halaster.

Plus constructs would shore up one of Szass Tam's weaknesses they can fight in daylight so Trobriand would actually be even better than Halaster.

-J.R.R. Tolkien

Edited by - Lothlos on 23 Jun 2013 03:56:11
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 23 Jun 2013 :  13:57:17  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
You know, that's actually a rather excellent way to use the FR material, and yet branch-off into a new (homebrew) direction with all of it, and still have that based in the canon. A "What if?" scenario.

Not a fan of the whole dread-ring thing, but I really like this idea for using that lore.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Go to Top of Page

The Arcanamach
Master of Realmslore

1847 Posts

Posted - 24 Jun 2013 :  14:19:42  Show Profile Send The Arcanamach a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Although this isnt something I would do in my homebrew I still think it a cool way to do your own thing. Hope it works well for ya.

I have a dream that one day, all game worlds will exist as one.
Go to Top of Page

Lothlos
Learned Scribe

USA
111 Posts

Posted - 24 Jun 2013 :  18:22:57  Show Profile Send Lothlos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks for all the feedback thus far.

I am looking forward to the characters input in the design of the new Dark Forgotten Realms.

I was also toying with the idea that instead of remaking the Forgotten Realms that it would instead create the Dark Realms in an alternate reality/dimension then both would exist together (due to some unforeseen effect of the spell) kind of like in Sliders (old TV show) but only the two worlds would exist.

I am thinking that spelljamming (they are all slaves on a spelljamming craft being delivered the boat is wrecked before it gets to its destination and they are the only survivors), the characters get sent through some sort of dimensional rift would be two easy ways to start a good campaign in the New Dark Realms.

I was also thinking that misdirection would be a better way to deal with the Brotherhood of the Griffon.

-J.R.R. Tolkien

Edited by - Lothlos on 24 Jun 2013 21:32:15
Go to Top of Page

The Arcanamach
Master of Realmslore

1847 Posts

Posted - 26 Jun 2013 :  11:20:12  Show Profile Send The Arcanamach a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Have you seen any of the episodes of Star Trek: Deep Space 9 involving the Mirror Universe? You may find some great ideas in there to help flesh out your Dark Realms. Basically, things are virtually identical in the Mirror Universe but always slanted toward evil. I also think your idea of an alternate reality (which is what the Mirror Universe is, btw) is better than an actual remaking.

An alternate timeline would work as well (as in the new Star Trek movies). For some decent reading on this topic you should procure a copy of of Legends of the Twins (game book, not the novel) by Sovereign Press. It's a Dragonlance campaign accessory.

I can see a great story arc in which the PCs discover the standard Realms and seek to travel there...only to be hindered by your Dark Gods and their clergies. To even speak of such a place is heresy!

I have a dream that one day, all game worlds will exist as one.
Go to Top of Page

Lothlos
Learned Scribe

USA
111 Posts

Posted - 26 Jun 2013 :  18:23:46  Show Profile Send Lothlos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks I will check those resources out.

I think I will combine the two have the party help Szass Tam with the Unmaking but instead of the spell unmaking the current Forgotten Realms it actually makes the Dark Realms with the characters and Szass Tam as god's

Maybe this was the secret Bane knew when he made the deal with Szass Tam cause now Szass and the characters are in both realms (kind of like the spell cloned them) and left them wondering why the spell did not work in one and celebrating their success in the other.

Then I will be able to have two worlds to adventure in and the core Forgotten Realms were/are not Unmade.

-J.R.R. Tolkien

Edited by - Lothlos on 26 Jun 2013 20:06:49
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic