Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms Novels
 Multiple-Diety Cleric
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Sourcemaster2
Senior Scribe

USA
361 Posts

Posted - 25 Jan 2004 :  21:08:31  Show Profile  Visit Sourcemaster2's Homepage Send Sourcemaster2 a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
In the Starlight and Shadows trilogy, Shatki serves and recieves spells from both Lloth and Vhaeraun. I was wondering if this is a completely unique case, or if it is possible for any cleric to worship more than one god?(providing that the dieties agree, of course)

But what have all the passing years/Done, but breed new angers, fears?/Show me now an equal worth/To innocence I earned at birth.

Cherrn
Learned Scribe

Denmark
323 Posts

Posted - 25 Jan 2004 :  23:28:17  Show Profile Send Cherrn a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It is a special case. I remember there was a class in 2nd edition for Vhaeraunite priests that allowed them it appear as if they served Lolth when actually serving Vhaeraun. That way Vhaeraun could have a hand in what Lolth's clergy was doing.

A wise man from Calimport once told me: "If a merchant puts sand in the flask of oil he's trying to sell you, then he isn't trying to sell you sand..."
Go to Top of Page

Adrian Moonbow
Seeker

Denmark
64 Posts

Posted - 26 Jan 2004 :  15:25:49  Show Profile  Visit Adrian Moonbow's Homepage Send Adrian Moonbow a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Oh it is possible. More than that, I have the perfect example:

Quilue Veladorn (sp?)! She is a chosen of both Mystra and one of the 'good' drow gods (name escapes me at the moment).

"I would have wanted not to die.
I would have wanted never to grow up!"
-Quidam
Go to Top of Page

Cherrn
Learned Scribe

Denmark
323 Posts

Posted - 26 Jan 2004 :  16:05:25  Show Profile Send Cherrn a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It is Eilistraee. That's a special aggreement between Mystra and Eilistraee. But being chosen of Mystra isn't the same as being chosen of Eilistraee. The Chosen is what Eilistraee calls her clergy. It doesn't give them specials powers other than what a normal cleric would get.

A wise man from Calimport once told me: "If a merchant puts sand in the flask of oil he's trying to sell you, then he isn't trying to sell you sand..."
Go to Top of Page

Faraer
Great Reader

3308 Posts

Posted - 26 Jan 2004 :  17:17:01  Show Profile  Visit Faraer's Homepage Send Faraer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Although the D&D rules (imposed on the Realms from without) don't allow it, priests serving multiple gods isn't rare in the Realms qua the Realms -- the first sentence of Prayers from the Faithful is "It is the nature of even the most devout beings, if they possess an ounce of courage or intellect, to need to know more and better prayers to serve their deity (or deities, for there are many who serve more than one divine name)."
Go to Top of Page

Shadowlord
Master of Realmslore

USA
1298 Posts

Posted - 27 Jan 2004 :  02:38:01  Show Profile  Visit Shadowlord's Homepage Send Shadowlord a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The Vhaeraunite/Lolthites are called Traitor-Priestesses (or in unique cases, traitor-priests, though males don't tend to get very far in the Spider Queen's clergy.)

The Chosen of Vhaeraun
"Nature is governed by certain immutable rules. By virtue of claw and fang, the lion will always triumph over the goat.Given time, the pounding of the sea will wear away the stone. And when dark elves mingle with the lighter races, the offspring invariably take after the dark parent. It is all much the same. That which is greater shall prevail. Our numbers increase steadily, both through birth and conquest. The dark elves are the dominant race, so ordained by the gods." Ka'Narlist of the Ilythiiri.
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31722 Posts

Posted - 28 Jan 2004 :  02:43:23  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Larajin, from Heirs of Prophecy was also another example of this, in that she could accept spells from both Sune, and Hanali Celanil. Although she is, a very unique example of this type of worship and power.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Sourcemaster2
Senior Scribe

USA
361 Posts

Posted - 28 Jan 2004 :  03:22:28  Show Profile  Visit Sourcemaster2's Homepage Send Sourcemaster2 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
So basically it is possible if the two(or more) dieties agree to it, which is very rare as it grants unbalancing powers to the cleric.

But what have all the passing years/Done, but breed new angers, fears?/Show me now an equal worth/To innocence I earned at birth.
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31722 Posts

Posted - 29 Jan 2004 :  08:48:14  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Exactly...

That's why this occurence is sooo rare.

Go to Top of Page

Faraer
Great Reader

3308 Posts

Posted - 29 Jan 2004 :  14:26:13  Show Profile  Visit Faraer's Homepage Send Faraer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'd assume a priest worshipping two or three deities would divide her spell slots (and domains, etc.) between those gods, and not gain more power as such. Of course, the character might be hard to play if the gods she serves aren't allied. It isn't all that rare, at least in Ed's Realms or mine.
Go to Top of Page

Lord Rad
Great Reader

United Kingdom
2080 Posts

Posted - 29 Jan 2004 :  14:57:20  Show Profile  Visit Lord Rad's Homepage Send Lord Rad a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Faraer

I'd assume a priest worshipping two or three deities would divide her spell slots (and domains, etc.) between those gods, and not gain more power as such. Of course, the character might be hard to play if the gods she serves aren't allied. It isn't all that rare, at least in Ed's Realms or mine.

I see multi-deity worship sonmething that couldnt really happen with deities as active as they are in the Realms. Even though they might well be allied, surely they demand (might be too strong a word) that their worshippers DEVOTE their worship to them only. IF they do not do so, then the deity should not see fit to grant any powers to them as their worship isnt 100% true and is, in a way, disrespectful.

Lord Rad

"What? No, I wasn't reading your module. I was just looking at the pictures"
Go to Top of Page

Faraer
Great Reader

3308 Posts

Posted - 29 Jan 2004 :  15:37:55  Show Profile  Visit Faraer's Homepage Send Faraer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Except that as Ed wrote, 'there are many who serve more than one divine name', as I quoted above. Though what you say holds true in most cases. Our-world polytheism doesn't always demand priests to serve one deity alone, and the official Realms has been turned enough already to pseudo-monotheism (my opinion, Jim!).
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31722 Posts

Posted - 30 Jan 2004 :  01:50:59  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hmm...Well then, lets carry this theme to the final step...

What would happen to this cleric upon his body-death?. Which deity would come calling for his/her soul upon entering 'Death's Waiting Room' so to speak...?

I would assume that it would be the deity that the cleric has the most devotion for, although, the other deities that the cleric receives spells from, may wish to claim the cleric's soul for their own...

Any thoughts on this...?

Go to Top of Page

Shadowlord
Master of Realmslore

USA
1298 Posts

Posted - 30 Jan 2004 :  01:54:08  Show Profile  Visit Shadowlord's Homepage Send Shadowlord a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I suppose the gods could divide the soul in two, being gods and all, and take each part to a seperate plane. I doubt it, but its just a theory.

The Chosen of Vhaeraun
"Nature is governed by certain immutable rules. By virtue of claw and fang, the lion will always triumph over the goat.Given time, the pounding of the sea will wear away the stone. And when dark elves mingle with the lighter races, the offspring invariably take after the dark parent. It is all much the same. That which is greater shall prevail. Our numbers increase steadily, both through birth and conquest. The dark elves are the dominant race, so ordained by the gods." Ka'Narlist of the Ilythiiri.
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31722 Posts

Posted - 30 Jan 2004 :  02:00:12  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yes, I would assume that would not be the case either. Petitioners are whole souls taken from a body complete. They merge with their plane of alignment and function accordingly...I really can't see half petitioners floating around the planes...that would just be too weird...

Go to Top of Page

Shadowlord
Master of Realmslore

USA
1298 Posts

Posted - 30 Jan 2004 :  02:24:26  Show Profile  Visit Shadowlord's Homepage Send Shadowlord a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I agree, however, I can't concieve a better theory right now.

The Chosen of Vhaeraun
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000