Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms Novels
 Curious...
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Avix
Acolyte

22 Posts

Posted - 01 Apr 2013 :  23:37:21  Show Profile Send Avix a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Well met fellow Candlekeepers

I'm curious how many FR novels each one of you has. As I'm a relative newcomer to the novels, I have just 4 of them so far.

I bet there are some real hardcore readers among you :)

Avix

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36793 Posts

Posted - 02 Apr 2013 :  00:04:25  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Avix

Well met fellow Candlekeepers

I'm curious how many FR novels each one of you has. As I'm a relative newcomer to the novels, I have just 4 of them so far.

I bet there are some real hardcore readers among you :)

Avix

Just over 200 novels. And every FR module, boxed set, or sourcebook printed and sold, plus a few things distributed thru other means.

And I've bought at least 90% of that stuff twice -- I lost my original collection in a fire, and built a bigger collection afterward.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Tanthalas
Senior Scribe

Portugal
508 Posts

Posted - 02 Apr 2013 :  00:38:58  Show Profile Send Tanthalas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I probably have about a little over 100 actual books. I think around 10 of them are Omnibus of trilogies. There are very few readily accessible physical books that I haven't bought yet.

I prefer buying physical books so my e-book collection only includes e-book only novels and older novels that are out of print. I have 10 so far but the collection is very likely to grow soon.

Sir Markham pointed out, drinking another brandy. "A chap who can point at you and say 'die' has the distinct advantage".
Go to Top of Page

Aulduron
Learned Scribe

USA
343 Posts

Posted - 02 Apr 2013 :  00:45:19  Show Profile Send Aulduron a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm not going to count them, but I have dozens. Maybe over 100. Even more if you count the books I've leant to a friend.

"Those with talent become wizards, Those without talent spend their lives praying for it"

-Procopio Septus
Go to Top of Page

Tyrant
Senior Scribe

USA
586 Posts

Posted - 02 Apr 2013 :  01:45:13  Show Profile  Visit Tyrant's Homepage Send Tyrant a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have a little over 190 novels and I've read almost 140 of them so far. I also have an assortment of RPG material (mostly 3.x and 4th, but a few older gems like Cloak and Dagger) but it's a drop in the bucket compared to the total amount available out there. I don't play the RPG so that material is just to get a better picture of the setting as well as the game since the game does impact the setting.

Peace is a lie, there is only passion. Through passion, I gain strength. Through strength, I gain power. Through power, I gain victory. Through victory, my chains are broken. The Force shall free me.
-The Sith Code

Teenage Sith zombies, Tulkh thought-how in the moons of Bogden had it all started? Every so often, the universe must just get bored and decide to really cut loose. -Star Wars: Red Harvest
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 02 Apr 2013 :  04:07:14  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Just over a hundred . . . because I avoid the elfy, priestly, “fightery”ones.

Every beginning has an end.
Go to Top of Page

Valmour
Acolyte

27 Posts

Posted - 02 Apr 2013 :  09:50:03  Show Profile Send Valmour a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have been reading FR books for just over 2 years and was buying them a book or two at a time, but I found a guy selling over 220+ FR books online for just about a $1 per book. That was a deal too good to pass up... I think I am closing in on just about 100 books read over the last few years.
Go to Top of Page

Mirtek
Senior Scribe

595 Posts

Posted - 02 Apr 2013 :  12:11:38  Show Profile Send Mirtek a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have 267 FR novels, already read 254 of them.

I buy only Paperbacks and prefer physical books whenever possible.

Thus I have every paperback that is currently available, the six e-book only novels (and only because they are e-book only, I would never buy an e-book of a novel when physical copies are available or announced to be available in X month) and I am currenlty waiting for the paperback releases of The Last Threshold and Elminster Enraged (two of three FR novels currently available that I do not already own due to currently being hardcover&ebook only with paperbacks announced for the future).

Than there's the sad case of Murder in Halruaa which I still refuse to believe is the only FR novel only available as hardcover (the paperback release was unfortunately lost in the transition when TSR went bankrupt). I am still holding on to the fantasy that some paperbacks were printed and waiting forgotten in some dusty warehouse

Edited by - Mirtek on 02 Apr 2013 12:18:42
Go to Top of Page

Avix
Acolyte

22 Posts

Posted - 02 Apr 2013 :  12:12:36  Show Profile Send Avix a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Wow! Some of the answers tell me that I am not crazy wanting to buy every single FR novel published (except the sourcebooks since I don't play)

Thanks guys!
Go to Top of Page

Avix
Acolyte

22 Posts

Posted - 02 Apr 2013 :  12:29:31  Show Profile Send Avix a Private Message  Reply with Quote
As for paperbacks, I can't buy them because there's not too many FR novels in Poland (except for R.A. Salvatore's books which is a fraction of the whole FR universe). Thankfully, many of the novels can be bought in e-book form :)
Go to Top of Page

Mirtek
Senior Scribe

595 Posts

Posted - 02 Apr 2013 :  12:40:20  Show Profile Send Mirtek a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Wow! Some of the answers tell me that I am not crazy wanting to buy every single FR novel published (except the sourcebooks since I don't play)

Thanks guys!

Took me 15 years from reading my first FR novel with a dictionary right next to it due to me hardly speaking english until me hopefully standing at the edge of the (paperback) release schedule by end of this year
Go to Top of Page

Avix
Acolyte

22 Posts

Posted - 02 Apr 2013 :  12:43:17  Show Profile Send Avix a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Mirtek

quote:

Thanks guys!

Took me 15 years from reading my first FR novel with a dictionary right next to it due to me hardly speaking english until me hopefully standing at the edge of the (paperback) release schedule by end of this year

I hope I can catch up too :)
Go to Top of Page

ElaineCunningham
Forgotten Realms Author

2396 Posts

Posted - 02 Apr 2013 :  12:53:14  Show Profile  Visit ElaineCunningham's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:

As for paperbacks, I can't buy them because there's not too many FR novels in Poland (except for R.A. Salvatore's books which is a fraction of the whole FR universe). Thankfully, many of the novels can be bought in e-book form :)

Avix, most of my books and nearly all of the anthologies are published in Polish translation, so I suspected that other authors have also been translated. I went to www.isa.pl , the website of the Polish publisher who published my books. If you do a search on "Forgotten Realms," what pops up are mostly game products, but I plugged a couple of writers' names into the search and sure enough, they have quite a few FR novels in translation. You can order them directly from the publisher's website.

Edited by - ElaineCunningham on 02 Apr 2013 12:55:18
Go to Top of Page

Avix
Acolyte

22 Posts

Posted - 02 Apr 2013 :  13:31:09  Show Profile Send Avix a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ElaineCunningham

quote:

Avix, most of my books and nearly all of the anthologies are published in Polish translation, so I suspected that other authors have also been translated. I went to www.isa.pl , the website of the Polish publisher who published my books. If you do a search on "Forgotten Realms," what pops up are mostly game products, but I plugged a couple of writers' names into the search and sure enough, they have quite a few FR novels in translation. You can order them directly from the publisher's website.

Thanks for the advice Elaine, although I like reading FR novels in the original. One of the reasons is my undying love for the language of Shakespeare :)
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31716 Posts

Posted - 03 Apr 2013 :  02:59:36  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, aside from the "Double Diamond Saga" books [which were very difficult to purchase here upon their initial release] and a few RAS novels that really haven't interested me all that much, I have every novel* published for the FORGOTTEN REALMS -- from 1987 to 2013.

*Which also now gratifyingly includes all e-books for entirely new FR novels.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Entromancer
Senior Scribe

USA
388 Posts

Posted - 03 Apr 2013 :  03:39:44  Show Profile Send Entromancer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Richard Lee Byers:
The Year of Rogue Dragons omnibus
The Haunted Lands Trilogy
The Brotherhood of the Griffon: 1-4

R.A. Salvatore:
Icewind Dale Trilogy
Dark Elf Trilogy
Cleric Quintet
Legacy of the Drow
Paths of Darkness
The Hunters' Blades
The Sellswords
Transitions
Neverwinter Saga 1-3

Erik Scott De Bie:
Ghostwalker
Shadowbane

Paul S. Kemp:
Shadow's Witness
Erevis Cale Trilogy
Twilight War Trilogy

"...the will is everything. The will to act."--Ra's Al Ghul

"Suffering builds character."--Talia Al Ghul
Go to Top of Page

jornan
Learned Scribe

Canada
256 Posts

Posted - 03 Apr 2013 :  04:04:34  Show Profile Send jornan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
All of them minus about 3 or 4 that were published in 2012 in paperback and ebook exclusive. I think that number must be climbing closer to the 300 mark.
Go to Top of Page

Avix
Acolyte

22 Posts

Posted - 03 Apr 2013 :  12:36:36  Show Profile Send Avix a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Looks like I've got a loooooooooooong road ahead of me before I catch up to you guys! I'm only buying e=books because they're readily available most of the time! :)
Go to Top of Page

Thauranil
Master of Realmslore

India
1591 Posts

Posted - 03 Apr 2013 :  12:43:29  Show Profile Send Thauranil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hmm not exactly sure but it must be close to a 100 at least. It would be more but they are a bit hard to get in India and I don't like e books much.
Go to Top of Page

Avix
Acolyte

22 Posts

Posted - 03 Apr 2013 :  12:51:25  Show Profile Send Avix a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Thauranil

Hmm not exactly sure but it must be close to a 100 at least. It would be more but they are a bit hard to get in India and I don't like e books much.

There certainly are a few advantages and disadvantages of e-books vs. paperbacks but I know what you mean :)
Go to Top of Page

charger_ss24
Learned Scribe

USA
108 Posts

Posted - 03 Apr 2013 :  21:19:21  Show Profile Send charger_ss24 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Good question. I really have no idea how many I have. I have maybe a dozen or so here with me now, while the rest are buried somewhere at my folks house a few states away. I started out with Dragon Lance, but quickly converted after reading my first FR book, Crypt of the Shadowking. The last FR book I read was the 24th book (I think) in the Drizzt series, The Last Threshold.

As I wait for the next book of that series to come out, I may start up the Elminster series again. I stopped at the Temptation of Elminster and I think there are three books after that one.
Go to Top of Page

Avix
Acolyte

22 Posts

Posted - 03 Apr 2013 :  21:39:15  Show Profile Send Avix a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by charger_ss24

Good question. I really have no idea how many I have. I have maybe a dozen or so here with me now, while the rest are buried somewhere at my folks house a few states away. I started out with Dragon Lance, but quickly converted after reading my first FR book, Crypt of the Shadowking. The last FR book I read was the 24th book (I think) in the Drizzt series, The Last Threshold.

As I wait for the next book of that series to come out, I may start up the Elminster series again. I stopped at the Temptation of Elminster and I think there are three books after that one.

I am waaaaay behind you man! Just finished my first outing with Drizzt in the Crystsl Shard (I'm reading according to the PubOrder) and I am already hooked not only on the drow but the whole Forgotten Realms world :)
Go to Top of Page

Clad In Shadows
Learned Scribe

Canada
158 Posts

Posted - 03 Apr 2013 :  22:07:52  Show Profile Send Clad In Shadows a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I currently own 117 FR novels. I have read 61 so far. My first FR novel was Streams of Silver in 1996.
Go to Top of Page

CorellonsDevout
Great Reader

USA
2708 Posts

Posted - 03 Apr 2013 :  23:31:19  Show Profile Send CorellonsDevout a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Haven't counted. Probably in the 200 range

Sweet water and light laughter
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11806 Posts

Posted - 04 Apr 2013 :  00:11:38  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
3 book shelves, 2 deep, 31 books per row plus some laying about, plus about 10-20 hardbacks and a small handful of digital versions.... so something over 200. That's just novels. Been reading them since the realms came out. However, even with all that, I know I'm only reading like half or less of them. Of all those, there's probably 20 or so that I've bought and not read yet.

Alavairthae, may your skill prevail

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

Mirtek
Senior Scribe

595 Posts

Posted - 04 Apr 2013 :  01:53:17  Show Profile Send Mirtek a Private Message  Reply with Quote
For those interested, here's my attempt to create a handy excel-list of all FR novels.

http://dfiles.eu/files/qc86bs419

I started with the list from o-love.net and added the novels that were new since their last update,

Note I did only count individual novels, so there are no omnibuses in this list.
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11806 Posts

Posted - 04 Apr 2013 :  14:36:39  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

Well, aside from the "Double Diamond Saga" books [which were very difficult to purchase here upon their initial release] and a few RAS novels that really haven't interested me all that much, I have every novel* published for the FORGOTTEN REALMS -- from 1987 to 2013.

*Which also now gratifyingly includes all e-books for entirely new FR novels.

I never did get the double diamond saga. I know it involved Waterdeep and the Utter East area, but not sure what else.

Alavairthae, may your skill prevail

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

Artemas Entreri
Great Reader

USA
3131 Posts

Posted - 04 Apr 2013 :  23:07:29  Show Profile Send Artemas Entreri a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I've got 205 that I own and have read plus another 16 that I own but have not read yet.

Some people have a way with words, and other people...oh, uh, not have way. -Steve Martin

Amazon "KindleUnlimited" Free Trial: http://amzn.to/2AJ4yD2

Try Audible and Get 2 Free Audio Books! https://amzn.to/2IgBede
Go to Top of Page

Delwa
Master of Realmslore

USA
1269 Posts

Posted - 05 Apr 2013 :  03:54:44  Show Profile  Visit Delwa's Homepage Send Delwa a Private Message  Reply with Quote
149 novels owned. At the moment, I've only read 48 of them. I have all of 3E's sourcebooks, read most of them (but have a horrible mental index, so I'm constantly giving myself refresher courses) recently aquired all to Volo's Guides, read two of them, working on the others, and I have several other 2E books and boxed sets I recently got for my birthday that I'm going through bit by bit, starting with the 2E Campaign Setting.

- Delwa Aunglor
I am off to slay yon refrigerator and spoil it's horde. Go for the cheese, Boo!

"The Realms change; seldom at the speed desired of those who strive, but far too quickly for those who resist." - The Simbul, taken from the Forgotten Realms Campaign Conspectus
Go to Top of Page

realmsrider
Acolyte

USA
48 Posts

Posted - 05 Apr 2013 :  13:20:05  Show Profile Send realmsrider a Private Message  Reply with Quote

I have about 90 but that also includes Dark Sun, Ravenloft, Eberron and Spelljammer.
Go to Top of Page

Jeremy Grenemyer
Great Reader

USA
2717 Posts

Posted - 05 Apr 2013 :  16:09:56  Show Profile Send Jeremy Grenemyer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I sold and gave away a bunch of old Realms novels that I don't read anymore. Some I'd owned for years and carried around in large blue plastic stacking crates.

After awhile it seemed like a better idea to let some kid new to the Realms discover them in a used book store than to keep them on bookshelves that ran out of room a long time ago.

Look for me and my content at EN World (user name: sanishiver).
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000