Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 What Gods would be tolerant of a Flesh Grafter?
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

silverwolfer
Senior Scribe

789 Posts

Posted - 31 Mar 2013 :  20:31:37  Show Profile Send silverwolfer a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
What sort of good aligned or neutral aligned gods, would be tolerant towards someone that grafts body parts from other creatures, in a sort of mad scientist sort of way?

Bladewind
Master of Realmslore

Netherlands
1280 Posts

Posted - 31 Mar 2013 :  20:32:54  Show Profile Send Bladewind a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Sune. If it looks pleasing to the eye somehow, it definately would get her support.

My campaign sketches

Druidic Groves

Creature Feature: Giant Spiders
Go to Top of Page

Gyor
Master of Realmslore

1624 Posts

Posted - 31 Mar 2013 :  20:38:31  Show Profile Send Gyor a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It depends on how and why your doing.

If it invovles torture, murder, cruelty nearly none.

Sharess has greater tolerance for evil, but approval of evil will never come. Forgiveness is the best you can hope for.
Go to Top of Page

silverwolfer
Senior Scribe

789 Posts

Posted - 31 Mar 2013 :  20:53:42  Show Profile Send silverwolfer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Proably be more along the lines of body harvesting from whatever you killed during adventuring, and flesh grafts are almost never pretty.
Go to Top of Page

Kentinal
Great Reader

4687 Posts

Posted - 31 Mar 2013 :  21:25:27  Show Profile Send Kentinal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well at best you need a chaotic deity, evil better. Loth comes to mind because she makes driders. She also desire worshipers on the surface.

"Small beings can have small wisdom," the dragon said. "And small wise beings are better than small fools. Listen: Wisdom is caring for afterwards."
"Caring for afterwards ...? Ker repeated this without understanding.
"After action, afterwards," the dragon said. "Choose the afterwards first, then the action. Fools choose action first."
"Judgement" copyright 2003 by Elizabeth Moon
Go to Top of Page

Bladewind
Master of Realmslore

Netherlands
1280 Posts

Posted - 31 Mar 2013 :  21:29:00  Show Profile Send Bladewind a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Probably be more along the lines of body harvesting from whatever you killed during adventuring, and flesh grafts are almost never pretty.

I beg to differ. It all in the eye of the beholderstalk, heh. In this case the deity itself might find beauty in the composition the fleshgrafter has made.

I believe I read that in 15th century Amn fleshsculpting shoppes have become very popular. A good knowledge of grafting could make a good fleshsculpter better.

Lathander might see it as a good idea, if it nurtured somekind of new growth, albeit physical or spiritual.

My campaign sketches

Druidic Groves

Creature Feature: Giant Spiders

Edited by - Bladewind on 31 Mar 2013 21:30:59
Go to Top of Page

Aldrick
Senior Scribe

909 Posts

Posted - 01 Apr 2013 :  01:32:56  Show Profile Send Aldrick a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It's difficult to say. Here are a list of potential candidates.

Mystra (as a deity of magic)
Azuth (as a deity of magic users)
Gond (as a deity of craft and artifice)
Oghma (as a deity of knowledge)
Finder Wybernspur (as a deity of transformation of art)
Garagos (as a deity of war)

My personal three favorites would be Garagos, Finder, or Gond.

Garagos is a bit nuts as a war deity, and if you're grafting on the flesh of the fallen as trophies, I think he'd very much approve. He's Chaotic Neutral.

Finder is a bit tricky, but if you see your body as a work of living art then you could probably get away with it. He's Chaotic Neutral.

Gond as the deity of craft, construction, and artifice might approve. If you see your body as constantly under construction, and you're seeking new ways to improve upon it...then you might find support with Gond. He's Neutral.

In the end, pretty much everyone is going to think you're nuts and more than a little bit insane. You'd be considered an abomination, at best, and out-and-out monster at worst.

So, my personal opinion is that Garagos perhaps provides the best opportunity. It allows you to play into the crazy aspect of things, and he'd be more than a little pleased at the idea of you grafting war trophies onto your body. Bonus points if your character comes from a rather barbaric culture.

Potential background story: You are from a now defunct Uthgardt barbarian tribe who has had their beast totem slain. You were just a young boy when this happened, and you watched as your tribe fell into civil war before fragmenting completely. You've spent some years as a bandit, where you studied the forbidden art of magic from one of your own people. During this time the bandits you were with fell under the sway of a cleric of Garagos, a deity to which you converted. From here, you could just fill in whatever additional details you need to make your character compatible with the rest of the group.

quote:
"Garagos is associated more with the rampaging destruction and plundering of war than tactics, strategies, or armies. The Reaver is linked with the mad bloodlust that overtakes some warriors, resulting in horrifying carnage. ... The scarlet cloak he is portrayed as wearing in religious art is made of the blood of his foes, and in recent times he is often shown wading through a blood-red sea - again, the blood of his slain enemies.

The Reaver also has become something of a fashionable god among brigands, outcasts, and those who regularly raid other peoples or settlements for plunder.

The Garagathan faith is not really organized overall. It exists as a number of independent churches with individual hierarchies. Two rival churches fight each other for dominance in Amn and Tethyr. Another in the Sword Coast North is seeking to expand its sway over the Sword Coast and the trade routes that connect to it, and ultimately into Cormyr.

Garagathans believe that peace is for weak fools. War makes all who fight strong, and only in head-to-head conflict is honor satisfied. Only cowards avoid battle. Any who strike down a foe from ambush or from behind are to be scorned as the cowards they are. Retreat is never an option, even in the face of a greater foe, for if a warrior's heart is focused on Garagos, he will provide the strength to conquer any foe. Diplomatic solutions are for fools, the soft, and the dishonorable; the only true answer lies in battle. A warrior's words is his or her bond to a friend, and no one can be trusted more than a shield companion, but warriors should not concern themselves with keeping a pledge to cowardly dogs or the enemy. Battlelust is a gift from Garagos; with it the faithful find the focus and the strength to defeat any enemy and refuge from the confusion and pain of the battlefield."

-- Power and Pantheons pg. 18 & 20

Edited by - Aldrick on 01 Apr 2013 01:37:25
Go to Top of Page

Artemas Entreri
Great Reader

USA
3131 Posts

Posted - 01 Apr 2013 :  03:14:46  Show Profile Send Artemas Entreri a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Gyor

If it invovles torture, murder, cruelty nearly none.

Except for Loviatar, Bhaal, Cyric, Bane, & Ilmater.

Some people have a way with words, and other people...oh, uh, not have way. -Steve Martin

Amazon "KindleUnlimited" Free Trial: http://amzn.to/2AJ4yD2

Try Audible and Get 2 Free Audio Books! https://amzn.to/2IgBede
Go to Top of Page

Dark Wizard
Senior Scribe

USA
830 Posts

Posted - 01 Apr 2013 :  04:19:04  Show Profile Send Dark Wizard a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Taking the key word and archetype to be "mad scientist", best bets are Mystra, Azuth, or Gond with Oghma a bit less so. The focus on magic and experimentation of the first three's dogma can easily override the character's sense of self. Flesh grafting becomes an identity onto itself with the support of the philosophies Mystra, Azuth or Gond embody. They're all neutral to some extent. We've seen more graphic self-experimentations and mishaps from mages of one sort or another, like those crazy, curious folk from Halruaa.
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 01 Apr 2013 :  12:44:44  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Short answer: all. It's important to qualify what constitute the grafts and how exactly they are made. If it’s (as you put it) “along the lines of body harvesting from whatever you killed during adventuring,” then we would have to consider whose body it is. If it’s of someone relatively insignificant, then you’re safe to use it however you want. However, if it’s of someone whom a certain deity favored when she/he still lived, it’s likely that deity would never allow you to mess with the corpse, as said deity might have something planned for that corpse (e.g., future resurrection to serve him again, petrification to be a reminder to all his followers, and so on).

Another consideration is what you intend to do with the grafts. If it is for magical use (like the patchwork man from the Brotherhood of the Griffon series did), then the gods who have affinity to magic would tolerate (if not encourage) it—Mystra, Selune, and Shar.

Every beginning has an end.
Go to Top of Page

Mapolq
Senior Scribe

Brazil
466 Posts

Posted - 05 Apr 2013 :  05:15:50  Show Profile Send Mapolq a Private Message  Reply with Quote
That's a curious question. With the help of other people I RP with, I'm developing a concept that sounds similar to yours. He doesn't make grafts on himself, but he does study dead people an animals and develops "bio-magical" augmentations which he gives to other people, or makes it on corpses and then raises them to make them more capable, and complete the missions they failed to in their "previous life". He truly believes that is a good thing to do. And the odd thing is, the guy's a Kelemvorite.

I think some people will think "no way", but I'll offer a justification. Kelemvor's been a god since 1368 DR, and that is not a lot of time for most people playing pre-Spellplague. One would wonder where did his clerics come from. Well, Cyric was the god of the Dead for ten years, and Myrkul before him. Sure, many Kelemvorites are bound to be new disciples and converts from other faiths, but there ought to be a fair share of old Myrkul worshippers who converted (that's not even going through the Cyricists). I bet these guys are still going through a really trying period to change their mindset. Imagine a guy who worsips Myrkul due to his domain over the dead, then finds himself having to convert to Cyric, and then later, to Kelemvor. I think there's more Kelemvorite nutcases than they'd like to let people know. Now, these guys can't go directly against Kelemvor's dogma (such as by creating undead, and extending people's lives without good reason) or they'll lose their power and be expelled or even killed, but they're probably a very strange and macabre sort.

That's the background of this guy. And he's not the worst of these troubled souls. There are some who'll end up losing their faith or converting to the likes of Velsharoon. In his case, he walks a fine line between worship of Kelemvor and heresy... but he is still a Kelemvorite, and he treats his test subjects and patients with utmost respect.

So yeah, Kelemvor. At least in my Realms. He wouldn't very much like those people, mind you, but I think he'd tolerate them (rather do that than lose a lot of worshippers to Velsharoon and Cyric).

Never sleep under the jackfruit tree.

Tales of Moonsea - A Neverwinter Nights 2 Persistent World. Check out our website at http://www.talesofmoonsea.com and our video trailer at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=am304WqOAAo&feature=youtu.be, as well as our thread here at Candlekeep: http://www.forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=12955

My campaign thread: http://www.forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=16447
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000