Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 The Weave (SPOILERS! BE WARNED!)
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Xar Zarath
Senior Scribe

Malaysia
552 Posts

Posted - 28 Mar 2013 :  04:17:10  Show Profile Send Xar Zarath a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Hello everyone, recently with learning about the Rise of the Underdark, i also learned its stunning conclusion. SPOILERS BELOW! YOU ARE CONSIDERED WARNED!

The Demon Weave was no more as Mystra(or possible some vestige of her) defeated Lolth. Meaning Mystra is back but not yet a divine power. She is slowly edging her way though.

Thoughts on what could happen to the Weave and Mystra's return and how magic will be affected are welcomed...

Everything ends where it begins. Period.

Gyor
Master of Realmslore

1624 Posts

Posted - 28 Mar 2013 :  13:36:32  Show Profile Send Gyor a Private Message  Reply with Quote
That plotline will probably blend into the Sundering.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36797 Posts

Posted - 28 Mar 2013 :  15:20:44  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
So the stunning conclusion is the status quo?

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

The Red Walker
Great Reader

USA
3567 Posts

Posted - 28 Mar 2013 :  15:57:47  Show Profile Send The Red Walker a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

A little nonsense now and then, relished by the wisest men - Willy Wonka

"We need men who can dream of things that never were." -

John F. Kennedy, speech in Dublin, Ireland, June 28, 1963
Go to Top of Page

Euranna
Learned Scribe

USA
219 Posts

Posted - 28 Mar 2013 :  18:38:12  Show Profile Send Euranna a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I am curious as to where you learned the defeat of Lloth and the Demon Weave?
Go to Top of Page

CorellonsDevout
Great Reader

USA
2708 Posts

Posted - 28 Mar 2013 :  23:09:25  Show Profile Send CorellonsDevout a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Wizards claimed they won't be doing anything with the drow in 5e that isn't tied to Lolth (in other words no V or E, which doesn't make much sense), yet Lolth is defeated...where does that leave the drow?

Sweet water and light laughter
Go to Top of Page

Euranna
Learned Scribe

USA
219 Posts

Posted - 28 Mar 2013 :  23:13:20  Show Profile Send Euranna a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Remember that Corellon took the non-tainted drow/dark elves.
I think that the plan is to make drow evil again and have dark elves be either?
Go to Top of Page

CorellonsDevout
Great Reader

USA
2708 Posts

Posted - 28 Mar 2013 :  23:20:31  Show Profile Send CorellonsDevout a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yes, I remember, but there was a post by Matt James (and I apologize if I misquote him) said that WotC wasn't interested in doing anything with the drow that wasn't tied to Lolth, which meant no follow-up to LP. This, however, doesn't make much sense, considering E and V ARE tied to Lolth, not to mention the end of those novels.

Go to Top of Page

Euranna
Learned Scribe

USA
219 Posts

Posted - 29 Mar 2013 :  00:43:55  Show Profile Send Euranna a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I am okay with dark elves returning to Corellon. I am okay with him putting Lolth in her place again if need be. heehee.
Go to Top of Page

Irennan
Great Reader

Italy
3805 Posts

Posted - 29 Mar 2013 :  01:14:15  Show Profile Send Irennan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Remember that Corellon took the non-tainted drow/dark elves.
I think that the plan is to make drow evil again and have dark elves be either?

Eilistraee and Vhaeraun just add something Corellon doesn't have (even if they are back as less that deities): it's the fight of a race to forge their own way and conquer their freedom from nonsensical constraints, they are the embodiment of this (not to mention that the ending of all this stuff makes very little sense, considering the motivation and actions of the deities involved; and having the dark elves simply return to Corellon -without even considering that, you know, some/many of them would've liked to keep worshiping E or V- is simply ugly IMO. Besides, dark elves followed the siblings even before the descent, so there's no real 'return', only Corellon wishing to take them).

Also, having a race conforming to a single stereotype with 1 or 2 guys being the exception, makes it flat, predictable and ''unrealistic''. This ''all people who belong to X-race are evil/good'' thingy is just plain boring and depth-less.

Meh, too many threads about this matter. Sorry for the OT.

On topic, I'm kinda glad that the Demon Weave was destroyed. 2 weaves are more than enough, and Lolth is too vain and lacking of motivations to be the main villain of the setting IMO.

Mathematics is the art of giving the same name to different things.

Edited by - Irennan on 29 Mar 2013 03:30:25
Go to Top of Page

CorellonsDevout
Great Reader

USA
2708 Posts

Posted - 29 Mar 2013 :  03:14:01  Show Profile Send CorellonsDevout a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Euranna

I am okay with dark elves returning to Corellon. I am okay with him putting Lolth in her place again if need be. heehee.

Oh, I'm okay with them returning to Corellon and Lolth being put in her place. I hate her, but I like Vhaeraun and Eilistaee, and I'd like to see more of the the "dark elves".

Go to Top of Page

Lilianviaten
Senior Scribe

489 Posts

Posted - 29 Mar 2013 :  06:23:34  Show Profile Send Lilianviaten a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Xar Zarath

Hello everyone, recently with learning about the Rise of the Underdark, i also learned its stunning conclusion. SPOILERS BELOW! YOU ARE CONSIDERED WARNED!

The Demon Weave was no more as Mystra(or possible some vestige of her) defeated Lolth. Meaning Mystra is back but not yet a divine power. She is slowly edging her way though.

Thoughts on what could happen to the Weave and Mystra's return and how magic will be affected are welcomed...

I'm not sure how that would work. Lolth is a greater goddess, and while I'm sure Mystra at her peak was more powerful, a vestige of Mystra shouldn't be able to defeat Lolth.

As per the conversation about Lolth, she is an awesome goddess! However, her having unchallenged rule of the drow is a bit boring. I could enjoy it more if she had defeated the other drow gods through cunning maneuvers, but it was more just luck.
Go to Top of Page

Lilianviaten
Senior Scribe

489 Posts

Posted - 29 Mar 2013 :  06:26:25  Show Profile Send Lilianviaten a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Btw TS, where did you gather this info? I have been trying to piece together just what happened in the Rise of the Underdark. It was such a heavily marketed RSE, but nobody seems to be in an uproar (positively or negatively) about the results. So, exactly what was accomplished?
Go to Top of Page

Xar Zarath
Senior Scribe

Malaysia
552 Posts

Posted - 29 Mar 2013 :  14:42:11  Show Profile Send Xar Zarath a Private Message  Reply with Quote
@Euranna and Lilianviaten: Actually I searched online and found a few websites with weekly on postings on their runs through the adventure itself. I dont know whether I can do this but I will post the website for your perusal as well as the synopsis.

http://dungeonsmaster.com/2012/12/dd-encounters-war-of-everlasting-darkness-week-8/

"When the PCs defeated Lolth’s Avatar for the second time her lower body transformed into a spider. As the massive form of Lolth began to approach the PCs again the Demon Weave changes from dark to light as Lolth’s power weakened. From the glowing Weave the voice of Mystra called out. “Only one shall be called the goddess of magic. It shall not be you, wretched Spider Queen. Never you.” The light engulfed Lolth’s avatar and destroyed her before her form utterly disappeared.

With Lolth defeated and the Demon Weave a thing of the past the world began returning to normal. The Darkening dissipated and the forces of evil lead by the Drow began to falter. The champions of the surface world rallied and pushed back the Orcs, Trolls, and Drow attackers.

Mystra, the goddess of magic, long believed dead had returned to the Realms. However, it will be some time before her power was fully restored."

Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11808 Posts

Posted - 29 Mar 2013 :  16:20:35  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Just wondering, what the hell WAS the demon weave. I mean, did they ever get into the nuts and bolts of what it was? Was it some new magical weave based on Abyssal energy (which it shouldn't have been because she pulled her domain OUT of the abyss)?

Alavairthae, may your skill prevail

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

Euranna
Learned Scribe

USA
219 Posts

Posted - 29 Mar 2013 :  20:44:06  Show Profile Send Euranna a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have not paid much attention to the D&D Encounters. Thank you Xar Zareth.
Interesting.

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31726 Posts

Posted - 29 Mar 2013 :  23:20:13  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Query for those "more in the know" about matters drow and Demon Weave:- Has there actually been any officially published detailing by WotC of the events surrounding the Rise of the Underdark and the Demon Weave?

I'm not really all that interested. I simply would wish to peruse the information so that I can better comprehend how [and why] this event will [or has] impact[ed] upon the Realms.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Euranna
Learned Scribe

USA
219 Posts

Posted - 30 Mar 2013 :  00:35:31  Show Profile Send Euranna a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I know there was a novel planned called Demon Weave, but it did not come to be. I have not read the Spider and Stone book. I know Ed touched on it during the Elminister Enraged.
There is also a budding alliance between the Shade and the drow of Menzo.
Go to Top of Page

Lilianviaten
Senior Scribe

489 Posts

Posted - 30 Mar 2013 :  02:21:03  Show Profile Send Lilianviaten a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

@Euranna and Lilianviaten: Actually I searched online and found a few websites with weekly on postings on their runs through the adventure itself. I dont know whether I can do this but I will post the website for your perusal as well as the synopsis.

http://dungeonsmaster.com/2012/12/dd-encounters-war-of-everlasting-darkness-week-8/

"When the PCs defeated Lolth’s Avatar for the second time her lower body transformed into a spider. As the massive form of Lolth began to approach the PCs again the Demon Weave changes from dark to light as Lolth’s power weakened. From the glowing Weave the voice of Mystra called out. “Only one shall be called the goddess of magic. It shall not be you, wretched Spider Queen. Never you.” The light engulfed Lolth’s avatar and destroyed her before her form utterly disappeared.

With Lolth defeated and the Demon Weave a thing of the past the world began returning to normal. The Darkening dissipated and the forces of evil lead by the Drow began to falter. The champions of the surface world rallied and pushed back the Orcs, Trolls, and Drow attackers.

Mystra, the goddess of magic, long believed dead had returned to the Realms. However, it will be some time before her power was fully restored."

If they had put all this into a trilogy, that would have been a great read and probably profitable as well. I just don't understand why they tacked drow on seemingly at random in the unrelated works of a few authors.
Go to Top of Page

silverwolfer
Senior Scribe

789 Posts

Posted - 30 Mar 2013 :  02:58:36  Show Profile Send silverwolfer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It was probably one of those things best left to the background, as they were focused with 5e, and did not want to tangle it with creative efforts on this end.
Go to Top of Page

CorellonsDevout
Great Reader

USA
2708 Posts

Posted - 30 Mar 2013 :  03:54:34  Show Profile Send CorellonsDevout a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Maybe Rise of the Underdark could have been part of 5e. I know it's not, though.

Go to Top of Page

Xar Zarath
Senior Scribe

Malaysia
552 Posts

Posted - 30 Mar 2013 :  04:21:39  Show Profile Send Xar Zarath a Private Message  Reply with Quote
@Euranna: Your welcome

Well anyway, i had tried earlier maybe it was a year or so back, to wheedle answers from Ed and THO, but of course at the time it was just about to start and everything so i ran into the N'DA demon.

Besides that I would have liked to learn what the Demon Weave was...as we all know the main lore on how Mystryl came about, we know that the Weave was the potent force of magic that crisscrossed Toril.

Lolth hardly had the capability to be able to spin a new Weave, even though she had artifacts across worlds to be brought to her altars.
Perhaps the artifacts were "sacrificed" and this rejuvenated parts of the Weave, enough for her to start weaving her threads into it?

Go to Top of Page

silverwolfer
Senior Scribe

789 Posts

Posted - 30 Mar 2013 :  06:36:03  Show Profile Send silverwolfer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
She was a spider goddess, she may have had the capacity to "spin " such
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 30 Mar 2013 :  08:42:05  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote

I think you guys are interpreting it way too literally. I’m not saying it’s wrong; it’s just that I’m kinda tired of Lloth and Shar and Mystra.

Every beginning has an end.
Go to Top of Page

Aulduron
Learned Scribe

USA
343 Posts

Posted - 30 Mar 2013 :  19:22:26  Show Profile Send Aulduron a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Why play up such a big RSE and not publish a single book about it in print?

And before Lolth became a spider demon, she was known as The Weaver.

"Those with talent become wizards, Those without talent spend their lives praying for it"

-Procopio Septus
Go to Top of Page

Irennan
Great Reader

Italy
3805 Posts

Posted - 30 Mar 2013 :  19:54:57  Show Profile Send Irennan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by silverwolfer

She was a spider goddess, she may have had the capacity to "spin " such

IMO it's more likely that things are as Xar Zarath proposed. Lolth was merely attempting to repair what was left of the old weave using those relics and the dead primordial (I have no idea about how the harnessing of the energies in the primordial's ''corpse'' ended up, tho) in order to build up a 'skeleton' to start from, or something like that.

If a deity is somehow related to the act of weaving, it won't automatically be able to craft a fabric of magic. If it was that way, every deity having 'crafts' (and thus tailoring) in its portfolio would be able to do so, and that clearly is not the case (and would be kind of stupid if it was).

Mathematics is the art of giving the same name to different things.

Edited by - Irennan on 30 Mar 2013 20:28:21
Go to Top of Page

silverwolfer
Senior Scribe

789 Posts

Posted - 30 Mar 2013 :  21:42:54  Show Profile Send silverwolfer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
we need more one off books that expand on the smaller known gods/goddess. To me FR has more to with gods and the super heros that worship them, than anything else.
Go to Top of Page

rjfras
Learned Scribe

261 Posts

Posted - 01 Apr 2013 :  04:31:13  Show Profile  Visit rjfras's Homepage Send rjfras a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

They defeated Lolth's avatar, not Lolth....
Go to Top of Page

Thauranil
Master of Realmslore

India
1591 Posts

Posted - 01 Apr 2013 :  15:38:53  Show Profile Send Thauranil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yeah but is says quite clearly that the Demon weave was destroyed.
And good riddance Lolth would make a terrible Goddess of magic.
After all this is a deity so unhinged she cant even "spin" a new dress for herself but has to have her servitors do it as anything she creates ends up crooked and malformed.
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 01 Apr 2013 :  16:50:34  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Goodbye, Demonweave... we hardly knew ye.

Another fizzled RSE. Whatever. Probably better the latest ones all fizzle then continue with the 'Michael Bay-ish' escalation 3rd edition was plagued with (quite literally).

Bring on The Sundering, and let that be the end of it. I am looking forward to what 5e may bring to the table.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Go to Top of Page

Mournblade
Master of Realmslore

USA
1287 Posts

Posted - 01 Apr 2013 :  17:36:17  Show Profile Send Mournblade a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

No it brought back the weave. Status quo would be keeping the spellplague.

Going back is a very WELCOME change.

A wizard is Never late Frodo Baggins. Nor is he Early. A wizard arrives precisely when he means to...
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000