Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Concept art for 5th ed Forgotten Realms
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

Jeremy Grenemyer
Great Reader

USA
2717 Posts

Posted - 13 Feb 2013 :  16:16:22  Show Profile Send Jeremy Grenemyer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Let no controversy die out!

Which is to say the halfling is back up for discussion on the WotC website, complete with diagrams and new (well, that I've not seen yet) artwork.

The lightfoot halfling on the extreme right in the piece at the bottom of the article looks to me like a miniature Mirt the Moneylender.

Or a miniature Matt James, come to think of it.

Look for me and my content at EN World (user name: sanishiver).

Edited by - Jeremy Grenemyer on 13 Feb 2013 16:17:07
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 13 Feb 2013 :  16:46:35  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
More like a heavyfoot halfling.

I've used all types, from all editions, and even borrow some from other sources (Munchkins, Warrows, Oompa-Loompas, Kender) - they are just different (subracial) groups of the same race. ATM (in my current campaign) they are probably closest to the 4e take, and the 3e take from Races of the Wild.

I don't know why they are so hung-up on them not looking like short humans - if anything, they are making them look even more like that (because a proportionately correct tiny human is strange... one that looks like a midget/dwarf is NOT). They are supposed to look just like 'small people' (and therefor proportionately correct).

I'm just going to stick with the racial sizes/proportions from 3e, and the 'chubby' halflings are the ones that have retired from a life of adventuring (or never bothered to to be an adventurer in the first place). They have exceptionally efficient anatomies which burns enormous amounts of energy (calories). When they become sedentary they gain weight rapidly (probably for similar reasons humans do - they go into an evolutionary 'hibernation mode'). I like PF's racial illustration as well, but I'm not a big fan of (normal) elves being taller then humans. Fey YES, Elves, just no (It was like that in T&T as well).

And while trying to find racial pics, I came across this interesting article (although not directly related to the topic - sorry). The guy makes a really good point about pigeon-holing PCs (second article, after the trailer).
quote:
Originally posted by Jeremy Grenemyer

Glad YOU said that, not me. Like someone pushed down on his head really hard and squashed him.

Anyhow, that first pic actually looks just like my Ex's cousin when she was about 16.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Edited by - Markustay on 13 Feb 2013 16:50:01
Go to Top of Page

Laeknir
Seeker

68 Posts

Posted - 13 Feb 2013 :  16:54:54  Show Profile  Visit Laeknir's Homepage Send Laeknir a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I think it's funny (and a bit of a talking-down-to) with the Halflings part 2 article. Of course halflings aren't real, but when people talk about wanting realism I think it's pretty clear what they want.

I still really don't like the halfling art at the end of that article. What's with the frayed clothing, straps poking out, useless tiny pouches, and the like? It makes them look plodding and slow, like they're dirt poor and begging for scraps and handouts. I think they DO need to understand halflings from a more realistic perspective. They might not be real from our world, but they have to realistically fit into the Realms. They're every bit as well-off as humans, and often are wealthier, certainly more comfortable. Realms halflings are also very agile, not dumpy or slow-looking.

Unless everyone in the post-spellplague Realms is destitute and rootless, this just isn't a good art set.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36797 Posts

Posted - 13 Feb 2013 :  18:03:30  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Jeremy Grenemyer

Let no controversy die out!

Which is to say the halfling is back up for discussion on the WotC website, complete with diagrams and new (well, that I've not seen yet) artwork.

The lightfoot halfling on the extreme right in the piece at the bottom of the article looks to me like a miniature Mirt the Moneylender.

That artwork looks a lot better, though I'm not keen on the rightmost halfling. His head still looks a little too large for me.

I've always pictured halflings as scaled-down humans. Same proportions, only smaller.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Victor_ograygor
Master of Realmslore

Denmark
1073 Posts

Posted - 14 Feb 2013 :  16:57:12  Show Profile  Visit Victor_ograygor's Homepage Send Victor_ograygor a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I don't like it at all... honestly.. I hope that they take this more seriously... I loved the art in 2end edition (forgotten realms) and the material in 1 edition.. great work that described everything that you needed to know.... everything after this..has been full of mistakes..missing martial information and so one.. I am old school.. I want quality for the money I use.. I will not pay any money for cartoon pictures and unfinished material..

Yours

Victor Ograygor

Victor Ograygor The Assassin and Candel keeps cellar master

Everything I need to know about life I learned from killing smart people.

Links related to Forgotten Realms
http://forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=9571

Adventuring / Mercenary Companies / Orders / The chosen from official sources
http://forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=11047

Priests in Forgotten Realms.
http://forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=9609&whichpage=1

Edited by - Victor_ograygor on 14 Feb 2013 16:59:08
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic