Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 An Interesting Find: Krakens are REAL
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 08 Jan 2013 :  11:09:04  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
The Japanese found one, and named it Architeuthis. Okay, so krakens are way bigger, but Architeuthis is surely not small either.

What other gigantic "mythical" creatures would be discovered in the future? Maybe a dragon actually sleeps in one of the mountains in China.

Mod edit: Edited to remove offensive term.

Every beginning has an end.

Edited by - Wooly Rupert on 08 Jan 2013 20:42:26

Lord Bane
Senior Scribe

Germany
479 Posts

Posted - 08 Jan 2013 :  12:00:21  Show Profile Send Lord Bane a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Of course the "Kraken" was copied from the species of Architeuthis, when you look at the design done by WotC you clearly see it and the "legends" people talk of are encounters with such creatures. Mind you, they typically live in deeper water and their natural enemy is the pot whale who sees them as food.

The driving force in the multiverse is evil, for it forces good to act.
Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7969 Posts

Posted - 08 Jan 2013 :  13:36:12  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I think if you were to look in my neighbour's windows you'd see a tribe of ogres.

[/Ayrik]
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 08 Jan 2013 :  15:30:39  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
First, your OP is rather un-PC.

Second, this info has been around for quite Awhile. They've discovered much more amazing things like the Prehistoric Shark and the Mimic Octopus. There are also the offshoots of humanity/sapiens known as 'hobbits' (Homo floresiensis) and Gigantopithecus.

ALL folklore is rooted in fact. We know far less about our own planet and history then we think. They discover new species everyday, including ones thought extinct for millions of years (like the Coelacanth). Giant squids are old news.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Edited by - Markustay on 08 Jan 2013 15:32:48
Go to Top of Page

Kilvan
Senior Scribe

Canada
894 Posts

Posted - 08 Jan 2013 :  16:33:05  Show Profile Send Kilvan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Not really on topic, but I'm pretty sure "Japs" is an ethnic slur.

As for the squid, that's pretty cool.

Edited by - Kilvan on 08 Jan 2013 16:47:17
Go to Top of Page

Thieran
Learned Scribe

Germany
293 Posts

Posted - 08 Jan 2013 :  17:34:13  Show Profile Send Thieran a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I agree with both points made by Kilvan.
Go to Top of Page

Chosen of Asmodeus
Master of Realmslore

1221 Posts

Posted - 08 Jan 2013 :  19:35:18  Show Profile  Visit Chosen of Asmodeus's Homepage Send Chosen of Asmodeus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kilvan

It can be used as an ethnic slur when combined with hostile intent, but it's occasionally used as simple shorthand for Japanese.

"Then I saw there was a way to Hell even from the gates of Heaven"
- John Bunyan, Pilgrim's Progress

Fatum Iustum Stultorum. Righteous is the destiny of fools.

The Roleplayer's Gazebo;
http://theroleplayersgazebo.yuku.com/directory#.Ub4hvvlJOAY
Go to Top of Page

Arcanus
Senior Scribe

485 Posts

Posted - 08 Jan 2013 :  20:01:07  Show Profile  Visit Arcanus's Homepage Send Arcanus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Would you consider the term Brits as a slur? How about Aussie? They are used by millions of people every day and no one complains.
The world is PC mad!
Go to Top of Page

Artemas Entreri
Great Reader

USA
3131 Posts

Posted - 08 Jan 2013 :  20:42:13  Show Profile Send Artemas Entreri a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Arcanus

quote:

Would you consider the term Brits as a slur? How about Aussie? They are used by millions of people every day and no one complains.
The world is PC mad!

Does anyone use "Brits" or "Aussies" as a derogatory comment?

Some people have a way with words, and other people...oh, uh, not have way. -Steve Martin

Amazon "KindleUnlimited" Free Trial: http://amzn.to/2AJ4yD2

Try Audible and Get 2 Free Audio Books! https://amzn.to/2IgBede
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 08 Jan 2013 :  20:45:06  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
As I understand it, with the advent of World War II, that became an derogatory term, and that it is considered offensive to those of Japanese descent.

I'm sure Dennis intended no offense, and I've changed the word in his post. Perhaps we can move on, from this point.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Alystra Illianniis
Great Reader

USA
3750 Posts

Posted - 08 Jan 2013 :  21:34:08  Show Profile Send Alystra Illianniis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
There is a similar creature, known as the Humbolt Squid or "red devil", in the waters near the Baha Peninsula below California (part of Mexico) It lives at about the same depth, and is food for some whales and large sharks. Giant squids are nothing new, they've been known in legend (and are now commercially fished) for hundreds of years.

Link: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Humboldt_squid

The Goddess is alive, and magic is afoot.

"Where Science ends, Magic begins" -Spiral, Uncanny X-Men #491

"You idiots! You've captured their STUNT doubles!" -Spaceballs

Lothir's character background/stats: http://forum.candlekeep.com/pop_profile.asp?mode=display&id=5469

My stories:
http://z3.invisionfree.com/Mickeys_Comic_Tavern/index.php?showforum=188

Lothir, courtesy of Sylinde (Deviant Art)/Luaxena (Chosen of Eilistraee)
http://sylinde.deviantart.com/#/d2z6e4u
Go to Top of Page

BEAST
Master of Realmslore

USA
1714 Posts

Posted - 08 Jan 2013 :  23:48:08  Show Profile  Visit BEAST's Homepage Send BEAST a Private Message  Reply with Quote
There is also the <mesonychoteuthis, or colossal squid>. Whereas the giant only has suckers and teeth on its tentacles, the colossal's tentacles bear suckers, teeth, and meathooks!

<comparative image>

Beaks found inside sperm whale stomachs suggest that colossals might grow much, much larger than giants...

Both are troublesome to measure in size, because their bodies are so soft and stretchy. When brought aboard ship, their long tentacles have a tendency to curl up and tangle. When fishermen/scientists pull on the tentacles to straighten them, that affects the measurement process. Who wouldn't be tempted to pull just a little harder on the tentacles of a specimen in order to claim having found the longest squid on record? And then when they bring the specimens back to the lab, the durn things shrivel up and shrink on them!

The Humboldt is particularly cool because it is aggressive, and it glows in red pulses when hunting prey.

"'You don't know my history,' he said dryly."
--Drizzt Do'Urden (The Pirate King, Part 1: Chapter 2)

<"Comprehensive Chronology of R.A. Salvatore Forgotten Realms Works">
Go to Top of Page

Arcanus
Senior Scribe

485 Posts

Posted - 08 Jan 2013 :  23:58:57  Show Profile  Visit Arcanus's Homepage Send Arcanus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
So much for freedom of speech.
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 09 Jan 2013 :  00:52:05  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

The world is PC mad!

Just because you've not heard of complaints... doesn't necessarily mean there haven't been any. And while "Aussie" isn't usually regarded as a slur, it can be considered "uncomfortable/inappropriate" in some sections of the community -- especially those which relate heavily with our indigenous population.

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Old Man Harpell
Senior Scribe

USA
495 Posts

Posted - 09 Jan 2013 :  02:56:15  Show Profile Send Old Man Harpell a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

So much for freedom of speech.

Eh, not really. I am insanely, violently allergic to PC (as well as being a militant First Amendment sort), but that's a contraction I wouldn't use (though I am of the opinion that it was just being used as quick shorthand). I'm part 'Native American', but I consider that term to be both PC and infantile - I prefer 'Amerind' (not PC, apparently) or the Canadian 'First Nations' (something which American-based tribal councils don't use). YMMV.

Regardless, back on topic, let's all admit that the ones we want to see are the plesiosaurs from either Loch Ness or Okanagan Lake ('Ogopogo'). Don't even say Bigfoot - I live in Bigfoot country, and unless you play Shadowrun, Bigfoot is sorely lacking in proof of existence. After you've seen footage of some smartaleck with fake wooden Bigfoot-feet making prints in the dirt in the lower Cascades, it's really difficult to muster any sort of belief.
Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7969 Posts

Posted - 09 Jan 2013 :  03:14:11  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I begin to wonder if intelligent kraken in the Realms are offended by people calling them squids.

[/Ayrik]
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 09 Jan 2013 :  08:32:38  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ayrik

I think if you were to look in my neighbour's windows you'd see a tribe of ogres.
One of the organizations we dealt with had a fossilized illithid brain.

Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 09 Jan 2013 :  08:36:12  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

When you use it derogatorily, yes. And I didn't. For the record, our organization has Japanese associates, and my father and I are wont to call them 'Japs' and they're fine with it, as we're fine being called 'Pinoys.'

Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 09 Jan 2013 :  08:44:31  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

I begin to wonder if intelligent kraken in the Realms are offended by people calling them squids.
Perhaps. But if bigger, superior creatures call them that, I doubt they'd complain.

Go to Top of Page

Firestorm
Senior Scribe

Canada
826 Posts

Posted - 09 Jan 2013 :  10:03:02  Show Profile Send Firestorm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

As a half jap, ill tell you neither I nor my father consider that an ethnic slur. Now I guess it depends on the context of how the person is saying it as well.
There are words for us which are undeniably offensive but that is not one I think of. And I kinda grew up in a racist environment where a lot of people were out to get me :p
Go to Top of Page

Thauranil
Master of Realmslore

India
1591 Posts

Posted - 09 Jan 2013 :  11:17:12  Show Profile Send Thauranil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Dennis

quote:

Perhaps. But if bigger, superior creatures call them that, I doubt they'd complain.

What could possibly be bigger than a kraken!
And I doubt they would ever acknowledge anything else as superior.
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 09 Jan 2013 :  12:09:41  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Thauranil
quote:
quote:

What could possibly be bigger than a kraken!
Telamont's ego. Duh.

quote:

And I doubt they would ever acknowledge anything else as superior.
Not willingly, maybe. But if they're controlled by one [like what Rivalen did to Ssessimyth], they really have no choice.

Edited by - Dennis on 09 Jan 2013 12:13:14
Go to Top of Page

Kilvan
Senior Scribe

Canada
894 Posts

Posted - 09 Jan 2013 :  12:24:13  Show Profile Send Kilvan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I didn't want to start a PC war over this, or play moderator. I just wanted to point out that while it seems like a simple abbreviation, it actually has an history as a derogatory term since the second world war. When possible, it is best to refer to them as another term, but you are all free to do as you please. The more you know, right?
Go to Top of Page

Thauranil
Master of Realmslore

India
1591 Posts

Posted - 09 Jan 2013 :  12:42:44  Show Profile Send Thauranil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
@Dennis
Good point .
If you get thrashed in a fight you have to acknowledge the superior strength of your opponent.
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 09 Jan 2013 :  12:52:40  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

@Dennis Good point . If you get thrashed in a fight you have to acknowledge the superior strength of your opponent.
A lesson that Manshoon should have learned long, long ago.

Go to Top of Page

Alystra Illianniis
Great Reader

USA
3750 Posts

Posted - 09 Jan 2013 :  21:29:57  Show Profile Send Alystra Illianniis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
That would depend. Which ONE? (There've been so MANY Manshoons- somhow I think that only one or two may have ever learned that lesson...)

The Goddess is alive, and magic is afoot.

"Where Science ends, Magic begins" -Spiral, Uncanny X-Men #491

"You idiots! You've captured their STUNT doubles!" -Spaceballs

Lothir's character background/stats: http://forum.candlekeep.com/pop_profile.asp?mode=display&id=5469

My stories:
http://z3.invisionfree.com/Mickeys_Comic_Tavern/index.php?showforum=188

Lothir, courtesy of Sylinde (Deviant Art)/Luaxena (Chosen of Eilistraee)
http://sylinde.deviantart.com/#/d2z6e4u
Go to Top of Page

Thauranil
Master of Realmslore

India
1591 Posts

Posted - 10 Jan 2013 :  10:48:40  Show Profile Send Thauranil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Plus Manshoon's ego makes Telemont look humble.
He would never acknowledge anyone as his superior, they are just luckier or more favoured by Mystra or whatever is the excuse of the day.
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 10 Jan 2013 :  11:14:10  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Ah. I forgot about that. Yes, you're right, of course.

Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 10 Jan 2013 :  13:11:11  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote

So this is proof that dragons exist. But did they get as big as the ones portrayed in legends?

Why is gargantuan size often associated with with angry, violent beasts, when Earth's biggest animal (bigger than Argentinosaurus) is non-aggressive?

Edited by - Dennis on 10 Jan 2013 13:13:50
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 10 Jan 2013 :  14:08:26  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

So this is proof that dragons exist. But did they get as big as the ones portrayed in legends?

Why is gargantuan size often associated with with angry, violent beasts, when Earth's biggest animal (bigger than Argentinosaurus) is non-aggressive?

I wouldn't call a dinosaur that had horns proof that dragons existed. That's like North Korea's proof that unicorns exist.

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 10 Jan 2013 :  14:26:44  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Proof might be too strong a word. It's possible that ancient Chinese found same fossils of that dinosaur and started fabricating the legends about dragons.

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000