Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 An Interesting Find: Krakens are REAL

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]
Rolling Eyes [8|] Confused [?!:] Help [?:] King [3|:]
Laughing [:OD] What [W] Oooohh [:H] Down [:E]

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Dennis Posted - 08 Jan 2013 : 11:09:04
The Japanese found one, and named it Architeuthis. Okay, so krakens are way bigger, but Architeuthis is surely not small either.

What other gigantic "mythical" creatures would be discovered in the future? Maybe a dragon actually sleeps in one of the mountains in China.

Mod edit: Edited to remove offensive term.
30   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Thauranil Posted - 21 Jan 2013 : 11:36:56
quote:
Originally posted by Alystra Illianniis

quote:
Originally posted by Thauranil

As someone who has seen both I have to say that I prefer the original one, albeit by a small margin.
Brotherhood was a lot more fun to watch but the original had a more heartfelt storyline.

I'm with Thauranil on that one. From what I've heard of Brotherhood, it was basically a retelling of the original series with some minor differences. From Previews I've seen, though, there is hardly any difference in animation. Apparently, Nina's transmutation must have been in both series, however, as I own the episodes of the original FMA where that story arc takes place. That shot was of Nina just after Ed an Al discovered what he'd done and confronted him in his lab, if I'm not mistaken. And she was later killed by Scar in that same episode. So I KNOW it was in the original. I've not seen the Brotherhood series, so if it was also there, it was simply a redeux of the same scene.

On a more on-topic note- that pic of the "sea monster" looked more like one of the Mystics from the Dark Crystal, as some of the commenters on that site pointed out. Most were saying Skeksis, but they had a longer and sharper looking beak.

Ahh actually the plot in Brotherhood widely divurges from the original at around the time of Hughes death. Its a very good series in its own right.
The Sage Posted - 21 Jan 2013 : 08:03:35
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

quote:
Originally posted by BEAST

Are there any Transformers Unicron-like monsters out there that we should know about?

I've heard others try to qualify the Tarrasque as a possible answer to this kind of Unicron-level threat for the Realms.

Does that mean the tarrasque can be defeated with a nifty glowing doohickey, so long as the bard is playing "The Touch"?

"Arise Bardimus Prime."
Ayrik Posted - 21 Jan 2013 : 05:21:32
I suppose the Tarrasque could be cloned. Enough iterations would suffice as a planet-level threat. No need to involve some fancy talking robot.
Wooly Rupert Posted - 21 Jan 2013 : 04:56:41
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

quote:

Are there any Transformers Unicron-like monsters out there that we should know about?

I've heard others try to qualify the Tarrasque as a possible answer to this kind of Unicron-level threat for the Realms.

Does that mean the tarrasque can be defeated with a nifty glowing doohickey, so long as the bard is playing "The Touch"?
The Sage Posted - 21 Jan 2013 : 02:08:45
quote:

Alystra Illianniis Posted - 20 Jan 2013 : 21:55:55
quote:

As someone who has seen both I have to say that I prefer the original one, albeit by a small margin.
Brotherhood was a lot more fun to watch but the original had a more heartfelt storyline.

I'm with Thauranil on that one. From what I've heard of Brotherhood, it was basically a retelling of the original series with some minor differences. From Previews I've seen, though, there is hardly any difference in animation. Apparently, Nina's transmutation must have been in both series, however, as I own the episodes of the original FMA where that story arc takes place. That shot was of Nina just after Ed an Al discovered what he'd done and confronted him in his lab, if I'm not mistaken. And she was later killed by Scar in that same episode. So I KNOW it was in the original. I've not seen the Brotherhood series, so if it was also there, it was simply a redeux of the same scene.

On a more on-topic note- that pic of the "sea monster" looked more like one of the Mystics from the Dark Crystal, as some of the commenters on that site pointed out. Most were saying Skeksis, but they had a longer and sharper looking beak.
Mirtek Posted - 20 Jan 2013 : 20:21:58
quote:
Originally posted by Dennis

So this is proof that dragons exist.
Isn't that picture straight from the "Dragons a fantasy made real" mockumentary?

PS: If you haven't already seen it, you can watch the whole mockumentary on Youtube. I found it very entertaining
BEAST Posted - 18 Jan 2013 : 05:27:30
My understanding is that the Biblical Leviathan creature was probably modeled after Nile crocodiles or something similar, only to be then be blown up into something monstrous, on the scale of a dragon.

But that pales in comparison to the Norse myths' Jormangandr, who was a sea serpent who supposedly grew long enough to circle the entire globe.

Old Man Harpell Posted - 18 Jan 2013 : 04:42:22
quote:

What could possibly be bigger than a kraken!

Leviathan, perhaps?
Thauranil Posted - 15 Jan 2013 : 13:47:46
Dennis Posted - 15 Jan 2013 : 03:53:03

It's from Brotherhood. I watched all the episodes, so I know. I only watched the pilot episode of the original one, though. For animation alone, Brotherhood is better. As for the story, I can't really compare, for obvious reason.
Alystra Illianniis Posted - 14 Jan 2013 : 21:11:06
quote:

It reminds me of Nina Tucker from Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood. That poor little girl who was transmuted by her own father into a big, furry dog.

Actually, that scene was from the original FMA series. I don't know if they ever used that storyline in Brotherhood, as it had a somewhat different storyline from the original series. Nina's transformation was from episode 6, IIRC. Her dad was a total jerk for doing that to her.... It was the only episode that actually made me cry.
Markustay Posted - 12 Jan 2013 : 15:44:30
quote:
Originally posted by Ayrik

Already debunked on the same page, lol.
Of course it was... Gov'ts don't want us to know 'the truth'.

(just messin' around - I knew that one was fake).
Dennis Posted - 12 Jan 2013 : 05:04:39

It reminds me of Nina Tucker from Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood. That poor little girl who was transmuted by her own father into a big, furry dog.
Ayrik Posted - 11 Jan 2013 : 23:17:35
Already debunked on the same page, lol.
Markustay Posted - 11 Jan 2013 : 23:12:40
What about the Russian sea Monster?
Ayrik Posted - 10 Jan 2013 : 14:28:19
Here's some online chatter about that particular image.

My guess is that it is not photoshopped. But it seems far more likely a discarded movie prop than an archeological find, especially since it appears to still have flesh. I mean, just look at this. Who just litters a one-of-a-kind paleo treasure onto a workshop floor? A workshop which appears to have plasters, paints, and propmaking tools rather than shovels and toothbrushes and precision measuring tools. Why has nothing about dragon finds been announced in the academic papers? You'd think it would merit a lot more attention than a few obscure websites echoing each other.

And why does it look like the archetypical D&D version of a European dragon instead of like a mythical Eastern dragon?

I call that report a hoax, not proof.
Dennis Posted - 10 Jan 2013 : 14:26:44

Proof might be too strong a word. It's possible that ancient Chinese found same fossils of that dinosaur and started fabricating the legends about dragons.
Wooly Rupert Posted - 10 Jan 2013 : 14:08:26
quote:

So this is proof that dragons exist. But did they get as big as the ones portrayed in legends?

Why is gargantuan size often associated with with angry, violent beasts, when Earth's biggest animal (bigger than Argentinosaurus) is non-aggressive?

I wouldn't call a dinosaur that had horns proof that dragons existed. That's like North Korea's proof that unicorns exist.
Dennis Posted - 10 Jan 2013 : 13:11:11

So this is proof that dragons exist. But did they get as big as the ones portrayed in legends?

Why is gargantuan size often associated with with angry, violent beasts, when Earth's biggest animal (bigger than Argentinosaurus) is non-aggressive?
Dennis Posted - 10 Jan 2013 : 11:14:10

Ah. I forgot about that. Yes, you're right, of course.
Thauranil Posted - 10 Jan 2013 : 10:48:40
Plus Manshoon's ego makes Telemont look humble.
He would never acknowledge anyone as his superior, they are just luckier or more favoured by Mystra or whatever is the excuse of the day.
Alystra Illianniis Posted - 09 Jan 2013 : 21:29:57
That would depend. Which ONE? (There've been so MANY Manshoons- somhow I think that only one or two may have ever learned that lesson...)
Dennis Posted - 09 Jan 2013 : 12:52:40
quote:

@Dennis Good point . If you get thrashed in a fight you have to acknowledge the superior strength of your opponent.
A lesson that Manshoon should have learned long, long ago.
Thauranil Posted - 09 Jan 2013 : 12:42:44
@Dennis
Good point .
If you get thrashed in a fight you have to acknowledge the superior strength of your opponent.
Kilvan Posted - 09 Jan 2013 : 12:24:13
I didn't want to start a PC war over this, or play moderator. I just wanted to point out that while it seems like a simple abbreviation, it actually has an history as a derogatory term since the second world war. When possible, it is best to refer to them as another term, but you are all free to do as you please. The more you know, right?
Dennis Posted - 09 Jan 2013 : 12:09:41
quote:
quote:
quote:

I begin to wonder if intelligent kraken in the Realms are offended by people calling them squids.
Perhaps. But if bigger, superior creatures call them that, I doubt they'd complain.
Telamont's ego. Duh.

quote:

And I doubt they would ever acknowledge anything else as superior.
Not willingly, maybe. But if they're controlled by one [like what Rivalen did to Ssessimyth], they really have no choice.
Thauranil Posted - 09 Jan 2013 : 11:17:12
quote:

quote:

I begin to wonder if intelligent kraken in the Realms are offended by people calling them squids.
Perhaps. But if bigger, superior creatures call them that, I doubt they'd complain.

And I doubt they would ever acknowledge anything else as superior.
Firestorm Posted - 09 Jan 2013 : 10:03:02
quote:
Originally posted by Kilvan

Not really on topic, but I'm pretty sure "Japs" is an ethnic slur.

As for the squid, that's pretty cool.

As a half jap, ill tell you neither I nor my father consider that an ethnic slur. Now I guess it depends on the context of how the person is saying it as well.
There are words for us which are undeniably offensive but that is not one I think of. And I kinda grew up in a racist environment where a lot of people were out to get me :p
Dennis Posted - 09 Jan 2013 : 08:44:31
quote:

Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000