Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 The Candlekeep Web Site
 Site Content
 Idle banter!
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Alaundo
Head Moderator
Admin

United Kingdom
5695 Posts

Posted - 21 Jan 2004 :  21:52:40  Show Profile  Visit Alaundo's Homepage Send Alaundo a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Well met

Idle banter indeed Of late there has been, in my humble opinion, a little too much meaningless and irrelevent banter within the library, (as well as "me too" responses as some call them).

This is very distracting to other scribes who are here to learn more of the Realms and share their collected Realmslore and knowledge with others.

I therefore urge you to contribute wisely and constructively herein.

Ill say no more

...... after all, 'actions speak louder than words'

Alaundo
Candlekeep Forums Head Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

An Introduction to Candlekeep - by Ed Greenwood
The Candlekeep Compendium - Tomes of Realmslore penned by Scribes of Candlekeep

Edited by - Alaundo on 29 Jan 2004 20:25:13

RogueAssassin
Learned Scribe

USA
207 Posts

Posted - 21 Jan 2004 :  22:47:31  Show Profile  Visit RogueAssassin's Homepage Send RogueAssassin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
me to man...

Props to my man Alaundo for keeping the Library running...your doing a great job!

-Rogue

"Spirit. Its a Heros strength, a mothers resiliance, and the poor mans armor. It cannot be broken and it cannot be taken away. This i must belive"---Drizzt Do'Urden
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31726 Posts

Posted - 22 Jan 2004 :  01:39:56  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm glad you've brought this up Alaundo. I know I have drawn attention to it several times before, but a general notice posted here like this, should prevent it from occuring more often .

I was becoming a little frustrated with the amount of 'idle chatter' that would sometimes 'clog' interesting and informative scrolls...even more so, when such discussion could be better served by starting a new scroll.

Oh well...as always, it is the Realmslore that is of prime importance here...

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Bookwyrm
Great Reader

USA
4740 Posts

Posted - 22 Jan 2004 :  03:34:29  Show Profile  Visit Bookwyrm's Homepage Send Bookwyrm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Such rules are what drove my brother, the Dragon of Justice, out of these calls. But then, he's perhaps too impatient, especially for a dragon.

Hell hath no fury like all of Candlekeep rising in defense of one of its own.

Download the brickfilm masterpiece by Leftfield Studios! See this page for more.
Go to Top of Page

Zacas
Learned Scribe

USA
261 Posts

Posted - 22 Jan 2004 :  03:47:18  Show Profile  Visit Zacas's Homepage Send Zacas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
but you have to admit... sometimes it's hard NOT to just chatter away... some people just can't help it... hence why i don't post a whole lot :P

I am like a superhero, with no powers or motivation.
I have gone to find myself. If I get back before I return, please keep me here.
People like you are the reason people like me are on medication.
Go to Top of Page

Shadowlord
Master of Realmslore

USA
1298 Posts

Posted - 22 Jan 2004 :  03:56:17  Show Profile  Visit Shadowlord's Homepage Send Shadowlord a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Everyone gets a bit off-topic now and then, but I don't think we should treat it like a crime or anything..... just use subtle reminders (like sword points ).

The Chosen of Vhaeraun
"Nature is governed by certain immutable rules. By virtue of claw and fang, the lion will always triumph over the goat.Given time, the pounding of the sea will wear away the stone. And when dark elves mingle with the lighter races, the offspring invariably take after the dark parent. It is all much the same. That which is greater shall prevail. Our numbers increase steadily, both through birth and conquest. The dark elves are the dominant race, so ordained by the gods." Ka'Narlist of the Ilythiiri.
Go to Top of Page

Trafaldi
Learned Scribe

264 Posts

Posted - 24 Jan 2004 :  16:55:59  Show Profile  Visit Trafaldi's Homepage Send Trafaldi a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The problem is people are getting TO off topic. Going completely the other way in a designated scroll.

Some believe there is something more after death, if you really want to find out... go kill yourself and stop pestering me.
Go to Top of Page

Yasraena
Senior Scribe

USA
388 Posts

Posted - 25 Jan 2004 :  05:23:59  Show Profile  Visit Yasraena's Homepage Send Yasraena a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ummmmmm, hasn't this been brought up before?
Apparently no matter what is said, or how many times it is said, there will be people who continue to ramble on.

I hate to say it Alaundo, but maybe you and the other admins should think about taking a more proactive stance concerning this little problem. You do have the power to edit/delete any post on here, correct? Maybe you should start doing just that.

IMHO, this problem was MUCH worse in the past than it is now. But I think the scribes in question have seen the error of their ways and have kept these type of posts to a minimum (much to my delight).
For those that don't, the afore mentioned proactive stance might be in order.

"Nindyn vel'uss malar verin z'klaen tlu kyone ulu naut doera nindel vel'bolen nind malar."
Yasraena T'Sarran
Harper of Silverymoon
Go to Top of Page

Bookwyrm
Great Reader

USA
4740 Posts

Posted - 25 Jan 2004 :  07:13:12  Show Profile  Visit Bookwyrm's Homepage Send Bookwyrm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
At the very least, a private scroll (such as through ethereal mail) would be better than an embarrasing public scroll -- not only is the scribe in question not humiliated, (s)he can't be confused as to who is being referred to. If that doesn't work, though, I'm all in favor of Yasraena's suggestion.

Hell hath no fury like all of Candlekeep rising in defense of one of its own.

Download the brickfilm masterpiece by Leftfield Studios! See this page for more.
Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 25 Jan 2004 :  16:22:51  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Bookwyrm

At the very least, a private scroll (such as through ethereal mail) would be better than an embarrasing public scroll -- not only is the scribe in question not humiliated, (s)he can't be confused as to who is being referred to. If that doesn't work, though, I'm all in favor of Yasraena's suggestion.

I agree. With a private scroll, there can be a clear line of communication that hopefully does not injure their pride like a public scroll would.

I can understand if a more proactive stance is needed if even after a private scroll, the problem persists with someone. Granted, everyone goes OT at some point/time, but even I noticed the last month or so, it happening more and more within the forum.

That being said, thanks again to everyone who contribues to this friendly place.
Go to Top of Page

Alaundo
Head Moderator
Admin

United Kingdom
5695 Posts

Posted - 25 Jan 2004 :  18:41:55  Show Profile  Visit Alaundo's Homepage Send Alaundo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well met

Indeed private scrolls do get issued......all too often! However, it does not hurt to send a general reminder to all herein to get back to the discussions of Realmslore... no matter how slightly off-topic some scribes may be, it gives a quick reminder to pick up that quill or tome and get back to the task at hand

Now get back to work!!!

Alaundo
Candlekeep Forums Head Moderator

An Introduction to Candlekeep - by Ed Greenwood
The Candlekeep Compendium - Tomes of Realmslore penned by Scribes of Candlekeep
Go to Top of Page

Zacas
Learned Scribe

USA
261 Posts

Posted - 25 Jan 2004 :  22:29:35  Show Profile  Visit Zacas's Homepage Send Zacas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
::blinks:: Get back to work? What are you talking about?
::He glances at the brooms and mops lying about:: Hmm... NOW look who's off topic

I am like a superhero, with no powers or motivation.
I have gone to find myself. If I get back before I return, please keep me here.
People like you are the reason people like me are on medication.
Go to Top of Page

Lina
Senior Scribe

Australia
469 Posts

Posted - 26 Jan 2004 :  05:26:33  Show Profile  Visit Lina's Homepage Send Lina a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I sometimes admit to going a little off the topic and blabber a bit, but the temptation is too much to reject.

Well if I do it in future a GENTLE reminder is welcome but take heed, don't take this as an invitation to ruffle my feathers as if you over do it I might have to take some drastic measures.

I do agree however that iddle banter should be kept out.

“Darkness beyond twilight, crimson beyond blood that flows! Buried in the flow of time. In thy great name. I pledge myself to darkness. All the fools who stand in our way shall be destroyed…by the power you and I possess! DRAGON SLAVE!!!”

"Thieves? Ah, such an ugly word... look upon them as the most honest sort of merchant."
-Oglar the Thieflord
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000