Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms Novels
 What are you reading? (2013)
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 47

Clad In Shadows
Learned Scribe

Canada
158 Posts

Posted - 31 Jan 2013 :  22:35:54  Show Profile Send Clad In Shadows a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Entreri3478

quote:
Originally posted by Clad In Shadows

quote:
Originally posted by Dennis

quote:

quote:

quote:

Finished Toll the Hounds by Steven Erikson. I enjoyed this book but thought Erikson's inner monologues were laid on a bit thick in this volume. The first 1000 pages were decent for me, but I thought the last 300 pages were phenomenal and well worth the wait. I gave it 4 out of 5 stars on Goodreads.

Wow, you weren't kidding about the last 3rd of the book. So many "Holy poop" moments!

Glad you enjoyed the ending too! I'll probably dive into Dust of Dreams this weekend.
Dust of Dreams...well, good luck to that.

What was your problem with Dust of Dreams, by the way? I'm about a 10th of the way through it at the moment. Very easy and flowing read so far.

A few of the scribes have mentioned that Dust of Dreams is one of their least favorite Malazan books.

Yeah, I remember reading that somewhere, but I don't remember if reasons were given. Or if they were, I don't remember them. So I'm just curious.
Go to Top of Page

Thauranil
Master of Realmslore

India
1591 Posts

Posted - 01 Feb 2013 :  10:35:56  Show Profile Send Thauranil a Private Message
quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Finished Toll the Hounds by Steven Erikson. I enjoyed this book but thought Erikson's inner monologues were laid on a bit thick in this volume. The first 1000 pages were decent for me, but I thought the last 300 pages were phenomenal and well worth the wait. I gave it 4 out of 5 stars on Goodreads.

Wow, you weren't kidding about the last 3rd of the book. So many "Holy poop" moments!

Glad you enjoyed the ending too! I'll probably dive into Dust of Dreams this weekend.
Dust of Dreams...well, good luck to that.

What was your problem with Dust of Dreams, by the way? I'm about a 10th of the way through it at the moment. Very easy and flowing read so far.

A few of the scribes have mentioned that Dust of Dreams is one of their least favorite Malazan books.

Yeah, I remember reading that somewhere, but I don't remember if reasons were given. Or if they were, I don't remember them. So I'm just curious.

As one of those who dont like Dust of Dreams , let me first say that I had read all the Malazan books back to back without any problems so far, but once I got to Dust of Dreams I found that I could no longer continue with the series until a year had passed. The book is very hard to read and there is just too much pontificating by the characters. This problem is exacerbated by Eriksons use of the same old themes and you feel as if you have heard the same monologues a hundred times before.
Of course I might be being overly harsh here, perhaps I just needed a break from the series. Which is one of my favorites by the way.
Go to Top of Page

Thauranil
Master of Realmslore

India
1591 Posts

Posted - 01 Feb 2013 :  10:40:19  Show Profile Send Thauranil a Private Message
Have returned to the magical world of Midkemia with Raymond Feists Shadow of a Dark Queen.
Was a bit surprised by the time jump but am enjoying the book so far.
Go to Top of Page

Artemas Entreri
Great Reader

USA
3131 Posts

Posted - 01 Feb 2013 :  13:56:39  Show Profile Send Artemas Entreri a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Thauranil

Have returned to the magical world of Midkemia with Raymond Feists Shadow of a Dark Queen.

Have you not read the Serpentwar Saga before? If not then you are in for a treat. Definitely one of my favorite Feist series.

Some people have a way with words, and other people...oh, uh, not have way. -Steve Martin

Amazon "KindleUnlimited" Free Trial: http://amzn.to/2AJ4yD2

Try Audible and Get 2 Free Audio Books! https://amzn.to/2IgBede
Go to Top of Page

Artemas Entreri
Great Reader

USA
3131 Posts

Posted - 01 Feb 2013 :  13:57:45  Show Profile Send Artemas Entreri a Private Message
Starting Dust of Dreams. Fingers crossed

Some people have a way with words, and other people...oh, uh, not have way. -Steve Martin

Go to Top of Page

realmsrider
Acolyte

USA
48 Posts

Posted - 01 Feb 2013 :  16:57:47  Show Profile Send realmsrider a Private Message
(spoiler light)
Red Magic by Jean Rabe
The criticism of Jean Rabe on many forums led me to believe I would be writhing in mental anguish trying to finish this book. I ended up really enjoying it. I thought, even from a technical standpoint, she's got her ducks in a row. She handled Szass Tam rather eloquently and Thay really came to life for me. Is it a perfect novel? No, but it was pretty good, if not a little anti climactic.
I wonder, has anyone done a tally of how many Harper's die in the Harper series? It seems it's gotta be at least in the triple digits.
Go to Top of Page

Artemas Entreri
Great Reader

USA
3131 Posts

Posted - 01 Feb 2013 :  19:50:12  Show Profile Send Artemas Entreri a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by realmsrider

(spoiler light)
Red Magic by Jean Rabe
The criticism of Jean Rabe on many forums led me to believe I would be writhing in mental anguish trying to finish this book. I ended up really enjoying it. I thought, even from a technical standpoint, she's got her ducks in a row. She handled Szass Tam rather eloquently and Thay really came to life for me. Is it a perfect novel? No, but it was pretty good, if not a little anti climactic.
I wonder, has anyone done a tally of how many Harper's die in the Harper series? It seems it's gotta be at least in the triple digits.

I enjoyed Red Magic too when I first read it years ago. At the time I believe it was the first Realms novel where Thay was featured. Great cover too!

Go to Top of Page

swifty
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
517 Posts

Posted - 01 Feb 2013 :  21:21:33  Show Profile  Visit swifty's Homepage Send swifty a Private Message
Was jean rage the first person to flesh out tams character or was he already well known in the source books.for me red magic will be known only for introducing one of the realms most iconic characters.

go back to sleep america.everything is under control.heres american gladiators.watch this.shuttup. BILL HICKS.
Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7989 Posts

Posted - 01 Feb 2013 :  21:29:58  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message
Szass Tam was originally Ed's character, and was detailed in every edition of many FR game products.

But yes, Red Magic was probably his first appearance in the novels. I didn't like this novel but in fairness I do agree that depicted Szass Tam fairly well.

[/Ayrik]
Go to Top of Page

swifty
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
517 Posts

Posted - 01 Feb 2013 :  21:55:43  Show Profile  Visit swifty's Homepage Send swifty a Private Message
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by swifty

finally finished crystal mountain which was an absolute drag to get through.started reading prince of ravens and unclean.

I'm not a fan of the Empyrean Odyssey series either. I have read the first 2 books and can't seem to summon the courage to attempt the last one.

is it just me or is kael one of the most mind numbingly dull characters in realms history.he's half drow half fiend for gods sake.

go back to sleep america.everything is under control.heres american gladiators.watch this.shuttup. BILL HICKS.
Go to Top of Page

realmsrider
Acolyte

USA
48 Posts

Posted - 01 Feb 2013 :  22:12:11  Show Profile Send realmsrider a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Ayrik

Szass Tam was originally Ed's character, and was detailed in every edition of many FR game products.

But yes, Red Magic was probably his first appearance in the novels. I didn't like this novel but in fairness I do agree that depicted Szass Tam fairly well.

That is incorrect! FTW-Szass Tam's first appearance in a FR novel was at the end of Dragonwall. The forces of Kahan were turned south towards Cormyr when Szass showed him in an illusion what would happen if they were to attack Thay.
Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7989 Posts

Posted - 01 Feb 2013 :  22:41:17  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message
I haven't read Dragonwall

Although it was published before Red Magic, in which Szass was basically a minor character but major plot device.

[/Ayrik]
Go to Top of Page

LastStand
Learned Scribe

130 Posts

Posted - 02 Feb 2013 :  07:17:31  Show Profile Send LastStand a Private Message
quote:

(spoiler light)
Red Magic by Jean Rabe

I personally couldn't finish the book - gave up halfway through. A lot of the character interaction just seemed so illogical and forced. I remember one scene in particular. The druid was carrying the woman/wizard over his shoulder and she was struggling - losing her shoe in the process...and the druid just kept on walking, only to later get angry when she couldn't walk in the wilderness without shoes. They were supposedly allies. *frown* Kinda should have picked up the shoe eh?

"Don't. The battlegrounds that you and I have returned from alive are too different."

~ Claymore ch106

Edited by - LastStand on 02 Feb 2013 07:19:44
Go to Top of Page

Thauranil
Master of Realmslore

India
1591 Posts

Posted - 02 Feb 2013 :  13:41:43  Show Profile Send Thauranil a Private Message
quote:

quote:

Have you not read the Serpentwar Saga before? If not then you are in for a treat. Definitely one of my favorite Feist series.

I just started reading books by Feist somewhat recently , but I am definitely a fan now. So I am reading the books in the order they were written.
Shadow of a Dark queen is indeed a very good novel, kind of a Dirty Dozen vibe.
Go to Top of Page

Artemas Entreri
Great Reader

USA
3131 Posts

Posted - 02 Feb 2013 :  14:20:49  Show Profile Send Artemas Entreri a Private Message
quote:

quote:

quote:

I just started reading books by Feist somewhat recently , but I am definitely a fan now. So I am reading the books in the order they were written.

I think Feist's earlier series were definitely his best work. His last few series really seem to blend together (in a bad way) and it just feels like the same old thing repeated...IMHO of course.

Go to Top of Page

Quale
Master of Realmslore

1757 Posts

Posted - 03 Feb 2013 :  22:17:48  Show Profile Send Quale a Private Message
That's true, I don't know why Feist forgot about certain characters from Serpentwar.
Go to Top of Page

Thauranil
Master of Realmslore

India
1591 Posts

Posted - 04 Feb 2013 :  13:42:34  Show Profile Send Thauranil a Private Message
quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

I think Feist's earlier series were definitely his best work. His last few series really seem to blend together (in a bad way) and it just feels like the same old thing repeated...IMHO of course.

Hmm thats not really making me enthusiastic about his later works but still I have plenty of good books left till then.
BTW at what point do you feel his work takes a turn for the worse?
Go to Top of Page

Thauranil
Master of Realmslore

India
1591 Posts

Posted - 04 Feb 2013 :  13:44:07  Show Profile Send Thauranil a Private Message
Got my hands on the second Space Wolf omnibus.
Gonna be busy reading about one of my favorite Space Marine chapters for the next few days.
Go to Top of Page

Artemas Entreri
Great Reader

USA
3131 Posts

Posted - 04 Feb 2013 :  14:21:39  Show Profile Send Artemas Entreri a Private Message
quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Hmm thats not really making me enthusiastic about his later works but still I have plenty of good books left till then.

The Feist series that I really enjoyed were the Riftwar Saga, the Serpentwar Saga, the Conclave of Shadows trilogy, and Prince of the Blood/King's Buccanneer. The Krondor trilogy was mediocre and I disliked his 3 book series where he had a co-author (Riftwar legacy?). His last few series are the ones that just seemed to be repetitive to me and I think they were called the Darkwar and Chaoswar series.

Go to Top of Page

Thauranil
Master of Realmslore

India
1591 Posts

Posted - 04 Feb 2013 :  15:26:39  Show Profile Send Thauranil a Private Message
quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

The Feist series that I really enjoyed were the Riftwar Saga, the Serpentwar Saga, the Conclave of Shadows trilogy, and Prince of the Blood/King's Buccanneer. The Krondor trilogy was mediocre and I disliked his 3 book series where he had a co-author (Riftwar legacy?). His last few series are the ones that just seemed to be repetitive to me and I think they were called the Darkwar and Chaoswar series.

Yeah my friend , the one who introduced me to Feist, who said that he didnt enjoy the last few series that much. He was just reading them to keep up with the story. Apparently they are too 'talky' and the action is not ' thrilling' . His words. Anyway , thanks for the response, I still have some time before i have to deal with this downturn.
Go to Top of Page

Artemas Entreri
Great Reader

USA
3131 Posts

Posted - 04 Feb 2013 :  17:01:53  Show Profile Send Artemas Entreri a Private Message
The books are still ok but at that point the series just started to feel a little long winded...which is totally understandable since there are 20+ Midkemia books out there. I am going through something similar with Terry Brooks, whom I love, but at least Brooks is spacing out the time frame for the Shannara novels: releasing some pre-Shannara stuff and then releasing books that continue the latest plotline.

Go to Top of Page

Artemas Entreri
Great Reader

USA
3131 Posts

Posted - 04 Feb 2013 :  21:30:58  Show Profile Send Artemas Entreri a Private Message
Finished Weapons Master's Choice, and eBook short story by Terry Brooks. As with the previous Terry Brooks short story; my only complaint is that it wasn't long enough! I could read an entire book about Garet Jax and not get bored but I thought this short story offered a nice window into a different side of a beloved character from Shannara. This story makes me want to re-read Wishsong of Shannara....for the 6th time.

Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 05 Feb 2013 :  14:10:50  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message
quote:

Primarily Erikson's verbal flux. He's got it starting Book 3, Memories of Ice, but it just got worse in Dust of Dreams. And he recycled a couple of themes and pointless soliloquies that were hard to digest. I didn't hate the book, but it's at the bottom of my list.

Note: I haven't yet read all the Malazan novels. And those I did, I did so out of order.

Every beginning has an end.
Go to Top of Page

Artemas Entreri
Great Reader

USA
3131 Posts

Posted - 05 Feb 2013 :  14:15:43  Show Profile Send Artemas Entreri a Private Message
quote:
Note: I haven't yet read all the Malazan novels. And those I did, I did so out of order.

The plotline of the Malazan books is complicated and confusing enough when reading them in order, so I can't even imagine trying to read them out of order. Out of curiosity, which ones have you read?

Go to Top of Page

Thauranil
Master of Realmslore

India
1591 Posts

Posted - 05 Feb 2013 :  14:21:09  Show Profile Send Thauranil a Private Message
quote:

[quote][t.

I read books out of order as well. Heck I am reading the second Space wolf omnibus first right now. But how on earth where you able to understand what was going on in the heavily convoluted world of the Malazan series?
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 06 Feb 2013 :  13:22:27  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message
quote:

Have returned to the magical world of Midkemia with Raymond Feist's Shadow of a Dark Queen.
Hmm. It's one of the Riftwar novels that I haven't yet re-read...because I was underwhelmed when I read it some years ago. There's more exposition than real action. [If there's anything I won't forget about that book, though, it's what Nakor did towards the end.]

If I were to rank the Serpentwar saga, it's going to be like this:

1st: Rage of a Demon King
2nd: Shadows of a Broken Crown (though this is the book that made me question Pug's "intelligence")
3rd: Shadow of a Dark Queen
4th: Rise of a Merchant Prince (which I mostly skimmed through)

quote:

quote:

(spoiler light)
Red Magic by Jean Rabe

I enjoyed Red Magic too when I first read it years ago. At the time I believe it was the first Realms novel where Thay was featured. Great cover too!
Agreed on the cover part. As for the story, well, I hated the pesky Harpers. But Szass Tam and Maligor, and Thay itself, were well-fleshed out. The ending was rather anti-climactic, though.

quote:

quote:

Have returned to the magical world of Midkemia with Raymond Feists Shadow of a Dark Queen. Was a bit surprised by the time jump but am enjoying the book so far.
If I treat it as a "series," it'll be my least fave. If as individual books, Book 3, Rage of a Demon King, is near the top.

Eventually, Thauranil, you'll get used to Feist's utilization of time-jumps, as this is not the first. But fret not, there's nothing as drastic as the Realms' 100-year (SP) time jump.

quote:
Originally posted by LastStand

quote:

(spoiler light)
Red Magic by Jean Rabe

I personally couldn't finish the book - gave up halfway through. A lot of the character interaction just seemed so illogical and forced. I remember one scene in particular. The druid was carrying the woman/wizard over his shoulder and she was struggling - losing her shoe in the process...and the druid just kept on walking, only to later get angry when she couldn't walk in the wilderness without shoes. They were supposedly allies. *frown* Kinda should have picked up the shoe eh?
If I weren't a Szass Tam/Thay fan, I probably would have given up on it as well. Still, I believe Jean Rabe compensated for her "shortcomings" by fleshing out Szass Tam and Maligor well, and by giving colors to Thay.

quote:

quote:

Which last series exactly? I loved both the Demonwar and Chaoswar series. Yes, Feist 'recycled' a few themes and some subplots, but he always managed to blend them with something relatively new and put his characters (old and new alike) in situations that brought out the best and worst in them.

quote:

The Darkwar gets props primarily for showing the "darker" sides of "reality"--a departure from Feist's usual handling of themes.

quote:

quote:
Originally posted by Ayrik

That is incorrect! FTW-Szass Tam's first appearance in a FR novel was at the end of Dragonwall. The forces of Kahan were turned south towards Cormyr when Szass showed him in an illusion what would happen if they were to attack Thay.
True, that was his first "appearance." However, it was more like an afterthought. He never appeared again after that silly encounter with the brainless barbarians. [I was kinda hoping he'd materialize out of nowhere and rip Azoun's heart just for the fun of it.] In Red Magic, he was more involved in the plot.

Every beginning has an end.
Go to Top of Page

Rofocale
Acolyte

USA
23 Posts

Posted - 08 Feb 2013 :  12:51:43  Show Profile Send Rofocale a Private Message
Reading my way through the Demonwars saga. Read the first 5 or so books like a decade ago, never finished the series (second saga if we're being technical).
Started over, currently in The Demon Spirit.
Go to Top of Page

Artemas Entreri
Great Reader

USA
3131 Posts

Posted - 08 Feb 2013 :  15:01:22  Show Profile Send Artemas Entreri a Private Message
Anyone know of some good E-book only fantasy short stories? I am borrowing a Kindle to read two of Terry Brook's E-book only shorts and wanted to take advantage if there are some other good ones out there which I am unaware of.

Go to Top of Page

Clad In Shadows
Learned Scribe

Canada
158 Posts

Posted - 08 Feb 2013 :  15:37:58  Show Profile Send Clad In Shadows a Private Message
If you've read the Coldfire Trilogy by CS Friedman, there's a recent e-book novella released called Dominion.

If you haven't read Coldfire, read it. Then read Dominion.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36798 Posts

Posted - 08 Feb 2013 :  15:57:14  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message
Reading Scoundrels now. I had stopped to read a couple of Simon R Green's Secret Histories books that I was behind on.

Not sure what is next... I'm really wanting to revisit Krynn; I've not read thru the Chronicles and Legends in a long time -- several years, perhaps. At the same time, I'm also wanting to stick to my resolution of reading more new books than re-read old books. I've only read new books, thus far, for 2013, but reading thru all of the DL books (I only have the Weis & Hickman books) will skew the total back towards re-reads...

I'll prolly read the DL books next, anyway, and then make a point of balancing things out through the rest of the year. It's not like there isn't plenty of 2013 left...

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 47 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000