Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms Novels
 What are you reading? (2013)
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 47

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31727 Posts

Posted - 29 Jan 2013 :  14:42:16  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by realmsrider

Knight of the Black Rose by James Lowder
This is what I was looking for. Bloody mayhem, memorable characters, epic fights, time travel-alternate dimensions and a proper standoff. The meat and potatoes of what I feel a good horror setting such as Ravenloft should embody.
I can't say I'm a Dragonlance fan. Originally I planned to read about 7 DL books before this novel because I'm a sucker for tie-ins and world building. I barely made it through the first trilogy(see previous posts in the old thread)when I said I've had and know enough, it's time to move on. That being said,I have no loyalty to the DL characters. Maybe Lord Soth falls out of the continuity/personality track here but man I really like this version of the dreaded Death Knight.
There's a half chapter where Azrael tells a story about his life. He's from Brigaluare. The Dwarven perspective of a world never to be seen or written about in TSR or WotC again. That really got me thinking about my younger tabletop gaming days. Taking snippets of what I was reading at the time and creating whole campaigns out of just a few random ideas. It really got me reminiscing about my love for the genre as a whole. I'll take that as a win and my worm on a hook for the Ravenloft series.

There are a couple of DL novels that deal solely with Soth, if you're interested in just tales focusing on the Knight of the Black Rose.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31727 Posts

Posted - 29 Jan 2013 :  14:44:00  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Entreri3478

quote:

Knight of the Black Rose by James Lowder
This is what I was looking for. Bloody mayhem, memorable characters, epic fights, time travel-alternate dimensions and a proper standoff. The meat and potatoes of what I feel a good horror setting such as Ravenloft should embody.
I can't say I'm a Dragonlance fan. Originally I planned to read about 7 DL books before this novel because I'm a sucker for tie-ins and world building. I barely made it through the first trilogy(see previous posts in the old thread)when I said I've had and know enough, it's time to move on. That being said,I have no loyalty to the DL characters. Maybe Lord Soth falls out of the continuity/personality track here but man I really like this version of the dreaded Death Knight.
There's a half chapter where Azrael tells a story about his life. He's from Brigaluare. The Dwarven perspective of a world never to be seen or written about in TSR or WotC again. That really got me thinking about my younger tabletop gaming days. Taking snippets of what I was reading at the time and creating whole campaigns out of just a few random ideas. It really got me reminiscing about my love for the genre as a whole. I'll take that as a win and my worm on a hook for the Ravenloft series.

It's been a long time since I read it but IIRC Spectre of the Black Rose was equally as good as Knight of the Black Rose.

Actually, I thought it was better. But that may be because it was wholly a RAVENLOFT tale. This was the first [and, sadly, only] time we get Soth "unleashed," so to speak.

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31727 Posts

Posted - 29 Jan 2013 :  14:53:06  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message
quote:

quote:

15 comic series? Is this another Dragonlance comic that I'm not aware of? I ask because the DC/TSR series I'm familiar with was a lot more than 15 issues.

Spelljammer had a 15 issue dc run in the nineties. This is what I was referring to.

Aye. And so far as I've managed to piece together, IDW will eventually be reprinting these comics in a compilation volume as well. Eventually.

Go to Top of Page

Clad In Shadows
Learned Scribe

Canada
158 Posts

Posted - 29 Jan 2013 :  18:17:01  Show Profile Send Clad In Shadows a Private Message
quote:

Finished Toll the Hounds by Steven Erikson. I enjoyed this book but thought Erikson's inner monologues were laid on a bit thick in this volume. The first 1000 pages were decent for me, but I thought the last 300 pages were phenomenal and well worth the wait. I gave it 4 out of 5 stars on Goodreads.

Wow, you weren't kidding about the last 3rd of the book. So many "Holy poop" moments!

Mod edit: Language, please.

Edited by - Wooly Rupert on 29 Jan 2013 22:01:17
Go to Top of Page

9thChapter
Learned Scribe

Canada
110 Posts

Posted - 29 Jan 2013 :  20:03:03  Show Profile  Visit 9thChapter's Homepage Send 9thChapter a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Valmour

Just finished all the precusor books and short stories before Twilight Falling, but going to take a detour though before I read more about Cale. I have decided to start reading Evermeet: Island of Elves and then possibly read the Cormyr trilogy after that before going back to Cale.

Good idea??

quote:
Originally posted by Valmour

Just finished all the precusor books and short stories before Twilight Falling, but going to take a detour though before I read more about Cale. I have decided to start reading Evermeet: Island of Elves and then possibly read the Cormyr trilogy after that before going back to Cale.

Good idea??

Absolutely.

I did the same thing you did...read all of the short stories but actually went on and read the Cale series (three books). I've taken a break too before I jump into Cale and Drasek again in the Twilight Wars series.

Elfshadow and Elfsong are on my to read list too. However, I took a bit of a bigger detour and jumped into the Star Wars universe for a change of pace. Kemp writes in the SW (reading Zahn right now). Glad I did. You may like it too, not sure.

Fantasy author of The Rithhek Cage series

http://darrentpatrick.com/the-rithhek-cage-trilogy/
Go to Top of Page

swifty
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
517 Posts

Posted - 29 Jan 2013 :  20:19:56  Show Profile  Visit swifty's Homepage Send swifty a Private Message
finally finished crystal mountain which was an absolute drag to get through.started reading prince of ravens and unclean.

go back to sleep america.everything is under control.heres american gladiators.watch this.shuttup. BILL HICKS.
Go to Top of Page

Artemas Entreri
Great Reader

USA
3131 Posts

Posted - 29 Jan 2013 :  20:20:56  Show Profile Send Artemas Entreri a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by swifty

finally finished crystal mountain which was an absolute drag to get through.started reading prince of ravens and unclean.

I'm not a fan of the Empyrean Odyssey series either. I have read the first 2 books and can't seem to summon the courage to attempt the last one.

Some people have a way with words, and other people...oh, uh, not have way. -Steve Martin

Amazon "KindleUnlimited" Free Trial: http://amzn.to/2AJ4yD2

Try Audible and Get 2 Free Audio Books! https://amzn.to/2IgBede
Go to Top of Page

Artemas Entreri
Great Reader

USA
3131 Posts

Posted - 29 Jan 2013 :  20:22:28  Show Profile Send Artemas Entreri a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Clad In Shadows

quote:

Finished Toll the Hounds by Steven Erikson. I enjoyed this book but thought Erikson's inner monologues were laid on a bit thick in this volume. The first 1000 pages were decent for me, but I thought the last 300 pages were phenomenal and well worth the wait. I gave it 4 out of 5 stars on Goodreads.

Wow, you weren't kidding about the last 3rd of the book. So many "Holy poop" moments!

Glad you enjoyed the ending too! I'll probably dive into Dust of Dreams this weekend.

Mod edit: Editted for language.

Some people have a way with words, and other people...oh, uh, not have way. -Steve Martin

Edited by - Wooly Rupert on 29 Jan 2013 22:02:16
Go to Top of Page

Clad In Shadows
Learned Scribe

Canada
158 Posts

Posted - 29 Jan 2013 :  21:48:05  Show Profile Send Clad In Shadows a Private Message
quote:

quote:

quote:

Glad you enjoyed the ending too! I'll probably dive into Dust of Dreams this weekend.

I'll be starting it tonight, I'm guessing. I've got so much Malazan momentum after Toll the Hounds that I can't stop now.

Mod edit: Editted for language.

Edited by - Wooly Rupert on 29 Jan 2013 22:01:53
Go to Top of Page

Clad In Shadows
Learned Scribe

Canada
158 Posts

Posted - 29 Jan 2013 :  21:51:05  Show Profile Send Clad In Shadows a Private Message
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by swifty

I'm not a fan of the Empyrean Odyssey series either. I have read the first 2 books and can't seem to summon the courage to attempt the last one.

I enjoyed it, though not as much as the Lady Penitent trilogy.
Go to Top of Page

Tyrant
Senior Scribe

USA
586 Posts

Posted - 29 Jan 2013 :  22:57:04  Show Profile  Visit Tyrant's Homepage Send Tyrant a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by 9thChapter
[Elfshadow and Elfsong are on my to read list too. However, I took a bit of a bigger detour and jumped into the Star Wars universe for a change of pace. Kemp writes in the SW (reading Zahn right now). Glad I did. You may like it too, not sure.

Kemp's SW books are worth reading. One is a standalone (so far at least) set during the Old Republic and the other 2 are set right around the most recent 9 books series Fate of the Jedi and has a very minor tie to that series. I believe he is going to be writing more SW books in the future as well.

At least one other author who has written for the Realms (aside from Troy Denning, who has written a number of SW books), Jeff Grubb, has recently written a SW book called Scourge. I liked his book as well. I thought he did a good job with the villain and I felt a level of pity for him in the end. The hero is a Jedi but he is an archivist and not a front line, big time, hero like most of the other Jedi in the books.

Peace is a lie, there is only passion. Through passion, I gain strength. Through strength, I gain power. Through power, I gain victory. Through victory, my chains are broken. The Force shall free me.
-The Sith Code

Teenage Sith zombies, Tulkh thought-how in the moons of Bogden had it all started? Every so often, the universe must just get bored and decide to really cut loose. -Star Wars: Red Harvest
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31727 Posts

Posted - 30 Jan 2013 :  02:11:56  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Tyrant

quote:
[Elfshadow and Elfsong are on my to read list too. However, I took a bit of a bigger detour and jumped into the Star Wars universe for a change of pace. Kemp writes in the SW (reading Zahn right now). Glad I did. You may like it too, not sure.

Kemp's SW books are worth reading. One is a standalone (so far at least) set during the Old Republic and the other 2 are set right around the most recent 9 books series Fate of the Jedi and has a very minor tie to that series. I believe he is going to be writing more SW books in the future as well.

At least one other author who has written for the Realms (aside from Troy Denning, who has written a number of SW books), Jeff Grubb, has recently written a SW book called Scourge. I liked his book as well. I thought he did a good job with the villain and I felt a level of pity for him in the end. The hero is a Jedi but he is an archivist and not a front line, big time, hero like most of the other Jedi in the books.

Kemp has also had several SW short stories which have often revolved around his novel-tales. They've all been published in Star Wars Insider. They're well worth the read if you're looking for a comprehensive exploration of Paul's SW fiction.

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36798 Posts

Posted - 30 Jan 2013 :  03:40:27  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

Just finished First Lord's Fury. Next is Ready Player One.

Almost done with Ready Player One. It's a short book, and I had another graveyard shift this morn... I'd finish tonight, but I go back on my normal schedule tomorrow and my sleep patterns are already wonky from these graveyard shifts.

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Thauranil
Master of Realmslore

India
1591 Posts

Posted - 30 Jan 2013 :  09:57:40  Show Profile Send Thauranil a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Tyrant

quote:

Its been confirmed that Kemp will be writing another duology in the SW universe which is great news for me as I am a SW and Kemp fan and no doubt for many other people as well.
I enjoyed Scrouge as well , it always good to once in a while find a good Sw book that has no Solos or Skywalkers in it.
Go to Top of Page

Artemas Entreri
Great Reader

USA
3131 Posts

Posted - 30 Jan 2013 :  14:06:31  Show Profile Send Artemas Entreri a Private Message
Finished KJ Parker's Devices and Desires, book 1 of the Engineer Trilogy. I REALLY wanted to like this book and was excited to start it. I even purchased all 3 books of the series before even reading the first one; big mistake. To be fair to the author: there was nothing really bad about this book but at the same time there was nothing for me that stood out or really interested me. I never felt that hook which sucks the reader into the story. This might have been tolerable for a shorter book, but at 706 pages this book demanded a little to much without giving me back anything in return. 2 out of 5 starts on Goodreads.

Edited by - Artemas Entreri on 30 Jan 2013 14:10:40
Go to Top of Page

Clad In Shadows
Learned Scribe

Canada
158 Posts

Posted - 30 Jan 2013 :  17:18:24  Show Profile Send Clad In Shadows a Private Message
Whoops, sorry about the cuss word. I'll use "Holy crap" from now on.

Also, I'm experiencing a dilema. For those who have read the Malazan books, should I read Stonewielder or Dust of Dreams first? The OCD in me suggests Dust of Dreams mainly because of the publication order (Dust of Dreams, then Stonewielder, then Crippled God). But many state (on the Malzan forums, as well as the foreward in Dust Of Dreams) that Dust of Dreams and The Crippled God are two parts of the same novel.

I've read almost 50 pages of Dust of Dreams so far but I have no issues with putting it aside and starting over again later.
Go to Top of Page

Artemas Entreri
Great Reader

USA
3131 Posts

Posted - 30 Jan 2013 :  17:26:20  Show Profile Send Artemas Entreri a Private Message
Started Steven Pressfield's The Afghan Campaign.

Go to Top of Page

Artemas Entreri
Great Reader

USA
3131 Posts

Posted - 30 Jan 2013 :  17:28:29  Show Profile Send Artemas Entreri a Private Message
quote:

Also, I'm experiencing a dilema. For those who have read the Malazan books, should I read Stonewielder or Dust of Dreams first? The OCD in me suggests Dust of Dreams mainly because of the publication order (Dust of Dreams, then Stonewielder, then Crippled God). But many state (on the Malzan forums, as well as the foreward in Dust Of Dreams) that Dust of Dreams and The Crippled God are two parts of the same novel.

I've read almost 50 pages of Dust of Dreams so far but I have no issues with putting it aside and starting over again later.

I plan on finishing the Malazan Book of the Fallen series then reading the Malazan Empire books followed by the Kharkanas Trilogy.

Go to Top of Page

Clad In Shadows
Learned Scribe

Canada
158 Posts

Posted - 30 Jan 2013 :  17:46:26  Show Profile Send Clad In Shadows a Private Message
quote:

quote:

I plan on finishing the Malazan Book of the Fallen series then reading the Malazan Empire books followed by the Kharkanas Trilogy.

I've already mixed the Esslemont books in. So I read Night of Knives after Midnight Tides, and Return of the Crimson Guard after Reaper's Gale. These books contain major (and I mean MAJOR) plot points and are considered just as canonical as the Book of the Fallen series.

I've relied on publication date so far, but so many people on the Malazan forums say to read Stonewielder first. I think I might give in and put Dust of Dreams aside.

Edited by - Clad In Shadows on 30 Jan 2013 17:47:20
Go to Top of Page

Artemas Entreri
Great Reader

USA
3131 Posts

Posted - 30 Jan 2013 :  18:13:07  Show Profile Send Artemas Entreri a Private Message
quote:

quote:

quote:

I've already mixed the Esslemont books in. So I read Night of Knives after Midnight Tides, and Return of the Crimson Guard after Reaper's Gale. These books contain major (and I mean MAJOR) plot points and are considered just as canonical as the Book of the Fallen series.

I've relied on publication date so far, but so many people on the Malazan forums say to read Stonewielder first. I think I might give in and put Dust of Dreams aside.

Do the Esslemont books reference what is going on in the other series or do you have to just remember it?

Go to Top of Page

Clad In Shadows
Learned Scribe

Canada
158 Posts

Posted - 30 Jan 2013 :  18:42:47  Show Profile Send Clad In Shadows a Private Message
quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Do the Esslemont books reference what is going on in the other series or do you have to just remember it?

Generally they take place the same time as another book in the series, but on a different continent. Crimson Guard took place immediately after Bonehunters, and extended into Reaper's Gale's timeline. And one character introduced in that book went on to do major things in Toll the Hounds. Stonewielder, Orb Sceptre Throne, and Blood and Bone all take place around the timeframe of Toll/Dust/Crippled. No idea how much of it is referenced though. But I'm told that Stonewielder has spoilers pertaining to Toll, so I assume at least something major is referred to.
Go to Top of Page

Artemas Entreri
Great Reader

USA
3131 Posts

Posted - 30 Jan 2013 :  20:36:03  Show Profile Send Artemas Entreri a Private Message
Interesting. I read Night of Knives before reading any of Erikson's books, but honestly I was so confused that it didn't spoil anything for me. I might do a re-read of that then read Return of the Crimson Guard before moving on.

Edited by - Artemas Entreri on 30 Jan 2013 20:36:36
Go to Top of Page

Clad In Shadows
Learned Scribe

Canada
158 Posts

Posted - 30 Jan 2013 :  22:40:46  Show Profile Send Clad In Shadows a Private Message
Yeah, that probably wasn't the best book to start with. Things should make a lot more sense now.

Also, definitely read Crimson Guard. There's a major event in the book that may or may not be referenced in subsequent Erikson books. It wasn't mentioned in Toll the Hounds, but it could be in DoD and/or tCG.

I've decided to continue with Dust of Dreams and will read Stonewielder in between that and Crippled God.
Go to Top of Page

Artemas Entreri
Great Reader

USA
3131 Posts

Posted - 30 Jan 2013 :  23:27:50  Show Profile Send Artemas Entreri a Private Message
I checked the suggested timeline/reading order on Wiki and might follow that.

Go to Top of Page

Entromancer
Senior Scribe

USA
388 Posts

Posted - 31 Jan 2013 :  03:58:52  Show Profile Send Entromancer a Private Message
I've finished a Moorcock double feature; "The Eternal Champion" and "The Skrayling Tree."

TEC was interesting. A genocidal protagonist was different. TST actually managed to add a Lovecraftian air to your basic dragon, which was cool. If you enjoy party-based fantasy, I recommend The Skrayling Tree; it is about three parties journeying through different time periods to the heart of the Multiverse, where a disgraced Knight of the Balance seeks to find eternal peace, which doesn't bode well for the Multiverse at large.

"...the will is everything. The will to act."--Ra's Al Ghul

"Suffering builds character."--Talia Al Ghul
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 31 Jan 2013 :  13:56:14  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message
quote:

quote:

quote:

Dust of Dreams...well, good luck to that.

Every beginning has an end.
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 31 Jan 2013 :  14:04:07  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message

I finished reading The Prince Who Never Smiled by Pepper Espinoza. A (gay) fairy tale in almost every sense of the word. Recommended.

I'd probably be spending less and less time for reading. My long-due novel now needs a big push.

Every beginning has an end.
Go to Top of Page

Clad In Shadows
Learned Scribe

Canada
158 Posts

Posted - 31 Jan 2013 :  16:43:18  Show Profile Send Clad In Shadows a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Dennis

quote:

quote:

quote:

What was your problem with Dust of Dreams, by the way? I'm about a 10th of the way through it at the moment. Very easy and flowing read so far.
Go to Top of Page

Artemas Entreri
Great Reader

USA
3131 Posts

Posted - 31 Jan 2013 :  21:23:05  Show Profile Send Artemas Entreri a Private Message
Finished The Afghan Campaign. Great book! Steven Pressfield has a unique gift for writing historical/military fiction. He seamlessly blended one soldier's tale with that of the entire campaign without having one overshadow the other. Probably my favorite aspect of this book is that the only difference between the way Alexander the Great and the Afghans fight compared to our modern day war in Afghanistan is the weapons used. I thought that was pretty fascinating considering the amount of time that has lapsed since the Macedonians marched through that part of the world.

Edited by - Artemas Entreri on 31 Jan 2013 23:29:07
Go to Top of Page

Artemas Entreri
Great Reader

USA
3131 Posts

Posted - 31 Jan 2013 :  21:30:23  Show Profile Send Artemas Entreri a Private Message
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by Dennis

quote:

quote:

quote:

What was your problem with Dust of Dreams, by the way? I'm about a 10th of the way through it at the moment. Very easy and flowing read so far.

A few of the scribes have mentioned that Dust of Dreams is one of their least favorite Malazan books.

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 47 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000