Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms Novels
 What are you reading? (2013)
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 47

Valmour
Acolyte

27 Posts

Posted - 25 Jan 2013 :  11:32:46  Show Profile Send Valmour a Private Message
Finished the whole Avatar series, which I throughly enjoyed. I am going to take a stab at the Pools series... wish me luck
Go to Top of Page

Artemas Entreri
Great Reader

USA
3131 Posts

Posted - 25 Jan 2013 :  21:09:29  Show Profile Send Artemas Entreri a Private Message
Finished Book 2 of Paul Kearney's "The Macht," Corvus.. Excellent gritty military fantasy.

Some people have a way with words, and other people...oh, uh, not have way. -Steve Martin

Amazon "KindleUnlimited" Free Trial: http://amzn.to/2AJ4yD2

Try Audible and Get 2 Free Audio Books! https://amzn.to/2IgBede
Go to Top of Page

Tyrant
Senior Scribe

USA
586 Posts

Posted - 25 Jan 2013 :  22:23:44  Show Profile  Visit Tyrant's Homepage Send Tyrant a Private Message
I just finished reading Blind God's Bluff by Richard Lee Byers. I enjoyed the book and I would pick up any follow ups. I haven't read a lot of Urban Fantasy so I don't really have much to compare it to on that front, other than to say that I enjoyed the overall set up. I particularly liked the ideas that these beings enjoy gambling to pass the time and that there were similar yet different forms of magic that even the big wigs couldn't fully comprehend/exploit due to their own bias for their own system of magic.

I have been reading The New Cold War (providing depth to Vladimir Putin's rise to power and what it means for Russia and the West) off and on. I think I am going to read Wayne of Gotham next while I read The New Cold War.

Peace is a lie, there is only passion. Through passion, I gain strength. Through strength, I gain power. Through power, I gain victory. Through victory, my chains are broken. The Force shall free me.
-The Sith Code

Teenage Sith zombies, Tulkh thought-how in the moons of Bogden had it all started? Every so often, the universe must just get bored and decide to really cut loose. -Star Wars: Red Harvest
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31727 Posts

Posted - 26 Jan 2013 :  01:45:08  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Thauranil

Finished Tome of Fire, a collection of short stories about the Salamanders chapter set in Warhammer 40k universe.
A good book, but only if you have the already read the Tome of Fire trilogy otherwise you will be left wondering what is going on.

Confound it! I picked this up the other day, but I haven't read the 'Salamanders' trilogy yet. Looks like I'll have to track them down as well.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 26 Jan 2013 :  11:13:07  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

There's more to Palin and his relationship with magic than what you've read in this novel, Dennis. I really would recommend you seek out the rest of his notable appearances in the DL canon, and see for yourself. [If you've not already done so, that is. ]
Yes, I've (more or less) followed through his history, from his birth, education, death, and resurrection. I know even Raistlin was proud of his nephew's choice. But for me, it's so trite and corny.

Every beginning has an end.

Edited by - Dennis on 26 Jan 2013 11:13:55
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 26 Jan 2013 :  11:15:53  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Dennis

quote:
Originally posted by Dennis

I'm reading The Wizards Conclave by Douglas Niles. I find it interesting, so far. Jenna is your classic powerful and don't-mess-with-me granny. Coryn, while innocent with a promise for greatness, kinda seems too convenient a character to me. And Kalkarin... I hope he's not totally mad. Why do many mage-villains have to be mad? {Sigh}

As I understand, this book is supposed to address the "return" of magic in Krynn, one of the most fundamental issues in the Dragonlance universe. Yet said book has 320 pages only?! Okay, so it's part of a series (The Age of Mortals). However, if I'm not mistaken, each book in the series has a stand-alone plot.

[Now on Chapter 6, A Master for the Tower of Magic]
I'm halfway through. I have relatively more free time today, so I'd likely finish it.

On the Master of the White Robes, Palin: I find it hard to believe that the second most powerful wizard in all of Krynn, the very wizard who devoted his entire life to magecraft, would so easily give up that life and chose that of an ordinary yokel. Besides, if he's so determined to be the leader/mayor of their (insignificant) little village, I see no reason why he should do so without being a wizard at the same time. Leadership and magecraft aren't exactly opposites. Perhaps Palin has simply gone senile. A shame.

I guess Coryn is designed to replace Palin, but I still fail to see the need to throw Palin away like a toy you've grown tired of playing with.

On the Tower of High Sorcery of Wayreth: It literally stood the test of times (and the twins, if you know what I mean). Gods come and go, and it remains still. Wars ravaged Krynn, practically changing the whole map, and still, the Tower remains. Now enter a doltish wizard of wild magic, and the whole Tower is seriously threatened. What's Douglas thinking? I know he's a great author. He didn't receive literary awards for nothing. In my opinion, he could have come up with a better way to treat the Tower and the eradication/alteration of wild magic...Hopefully the other half of the book will make up for this atrocity.
God, it goes downhill...Such degree of inanity, heightened by the antagonist's ramblings, is sheer torture.

Every beginning has an end.
Go to Top of Page

Thauranil
Master of Realmslore

India
1591 Posts

Posted - 27 Jan 2013 :  10:43:16  Show Profile Send Thauranil a Private Message
quote:

quote:

Finished Tome of Fire, a collection of short stories about the Salamanders chapter set in Warhammer 40k universe.
A good book, but only if you have the already read the Tome of Fire trilogy otherwise you will be left wondering what is going on.

Confound it! I picked this up the other day, but I haven't read the 'Salamanders' trilogy yet. Looks like I'll have to track them down as well.

While the stories are interesting enough by themselves , the characters and the plot lines are all established in the novels so I would suggest that you at least read the first book ,Salamander, before starting on this anthology.
Go to Top of Page

Artemas Entreri
Great Reader

USA
3131 Posts

Posted - 27 Jan 2013 :  17:38:38  Show Profile Send Artemas Entreri a Private Message
Finished Book 3 of Paul Kearney's "The Macht," Kings of Morning. I would recommend this whole trilogy to anyone who enjoys realistic (gritty) military fantasy, especially greek style warfare.

*zero magic setting which is reminiscent of our own planet's conflicts between the Greeks and Persians.

Some people have a way with words, and other people...oh, uh, not have way. -Steve Martin

Go to Top of Page

LastStand
Learned Scribe

130 Posts

Posted - 27 Jan 2013 :  18:20:43  Show Profile Send LastStand a Private Message
Finished Mistborn and started The well of Ascension. So far Sanderson keeps delivering. Vin is kicking ass 10 pages in already.

"Don't. The battlegrounds that you and I have returned from alive are too different."

~ Claymore ch106
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31727 Posts

Posted - 28 Jan 2013 :  01:07:09  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message
quote:

quote:

quote:

While the stories are interesting enough by themselves , the characters and the plot lines are all established in the novels so I would suggest that you at least read the first book ,Salamander, before starting on this anthology.

I've found the three books from an online distributor -- one of which has been signed by Nick Kyme. So, woot!

Go to Top of Page

realmsrider
Acolyte

USA
48 Posts

Posted - 28 Jan 2013 :  02:39:35  Show Profile Send realmsrider a Private Message
(SPOILER HEAVY)
I've been lax about posting since the new thread went up but I've read quite a bit this month.

The Parched Sea by Troy Denning
Meh. I liked Lancer. Too bad he didn't make it. Ruha was just not that interesting to me. I don't look forward to the sequel.

Beyond the Moons by David Cook
I'm going to treat this series like a fine wine and take my time with it. Six books then it's gone. Loved the antagonists and the scenes at Palanthas and Mount Nevermind were priceless. Krynn really came alive for me way more than the actual Dragonlance series. Does anyone know if the 15 issue comic series is worth reading? It goes for quite a bit on Amazon.

Elfshadow by Elaine Cunningham
My first read of this if you can believe it. Good God, does she nail it or what? I can't wait to read the rest of this series. I love when I read an older FR novel and it feels new and fresh. I wanted to know the entire history of every side character. Like it was published yesterday. This is like Lethal Weapon 3 with magic...in a good way.

Vampire of the Mists by Christie Golden
I half liked it. I thought as a vampire story it was average. I liked Jander's back story and the history of Daggerdale. I didn't like that Strahd has zero redeeming value. He's not even close to an anti hero. He's just a jock war dick. I'll give Ravenloft a fair shake though.

The Verdant Passage by Troy Denning
I thought the first half was dark, gritty and reeked of the severe hopelessness of Athas. By the second half my brain went on autopilot. When the group hit the Halfling tribe in the jungle I just wanted to give up on this mess. I hope this Pentad gets better.

Into the Void by Nigel Findley
Seamless transition. Would have liked to see a little more mainland Toril but that's a minor quibble. Great characters. The sad thing is Nigel passed away at the young age of 35. He's an awesome author.

The Cleric Quintet book 1 by R.A. Salvatore
Great action and spot on humor. I love this series so far.

Go to Top of Page

Artemas Entreri
Great Reader

USA
3131 Posts

Posted - 28 Jan 2013 :  03:09:17  Show Profile Send Artemas Entreri a Private Message
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by realmsrider

I didn't like that Strahd has zero redeeming value. He's not even close to an anti hero. He's just a jock war dick. I'll give Ravenloft a fair shake though.
I'd recommend you try reading I, Strahd by P N Elrod. You might find yourself having a little sympathy for Strahd and his "curse" then.

or Stoker's Dracula.

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31727 Posts

Posted - 28 Jan 2013 :  03:13:27  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message
quote:

I'm going to treat this series like a fine wine and take my time with it. Six books then it's gone. Loved the antagonists and the scenes at Palanthas and Mount Nevermind were priceless. Krynn really came alive for me way more than the actual Dragonlance series. Does anyone know if the 15 issue comic series is worth reading? It goes for quite a bit on Amazon.
It is. But, then, I think that only because I'm already really devoted to DRAGONLANCE as a reading experience. Your tastes may vary.

On the plus side, the comic book publisher IDW is supposedly releasing two compilation volumes which collect and reprint the original Dragonlance comic book series published by DC Comics. Just as they've done with both the Advanced Dungeons & Dragons and Forgotten Realms comic book series. If price is an issue for you, it might be more financially sensible to wait for these compilation volumes to be released.
quote:

I didn't like that Strahd has zero redeeming value. He's not even close to an anti hero. He's just a jock war dick. I'll give Ravenloft a fair shake though.
I'd recommend you try reading I, Strahd by P N Elrod. You might find yourself having a little sympathy for Strahd and his "curse" then.

Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7989 Posts

Posted - 28 Jan 2013 :  03:42:51  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message
Second recommendation for I, Strahd: The Memoirs of a Vampire.

Far better literary quality than most D&D fiction of the time, in my opinion. But not to be confused with the "sequel" I Strahd: The War Against Azalin by the same author, which I thought simply cast Strahd as a front for selling Ravenloft products.

[/Ayrik]
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31727 Posts

Posted - 28 Jan 2013 :  04:14:18  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Ayrik

Far better literary quality than most D&D fiction of the time, in my opinion. But not to be confused with the "sequel" I Strahd: The War Against Azalin by the same author, which I thought simply cast Strahd as a front for selling Ravenloft products.

Agreed.

Though, it did have some cool parts with Azalin. He really should have had a book of his own, I think.

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36798 Posts

Posted - 28 Jan 2013 :  05:48:20  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message
quote:

quote:

It is. But, then, I think that only because I'm already really devoted to DRAGONLANCE as a reading experience. Your tastes may vary.

On the plus side, the comic book publisher IDW is supposedly releasing two compilation volumes which collect and reprint the original Dragonlance comic book series published by DC Comics. Just as they've done with both the Advanced Dungeons & Dragons and Forgotten Realms comic book series. If price is an issue for you, it might be more financially sensible to wait for these compilation volumes to be released.

15 comic series? Is this another Dragonlance comic that I'm not aware of? I ask because the DC/TSR series I'm familiar with was a lot more than 15 issues.

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31727 Posts

Posted - 28 Jan 2013 :  06:22:02  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:

quote:

15 comic series? Is this another Dragonlance comic that I'm not aware of? I ask because the DC/TSR series I'm familiar with was a lot more than 15 issues.

I might be misremembering things [since I only got the first compilation volume of the following referenced series], but the Devil's Due Dragonlance comic book series [in the early 2000's] ran for about 15 or so issues.

Maybe realmsrider looked up the wrong series on Amazon?

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36798 Posts

Posted - 28 Jan 2013 :  06:55:06  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message
quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

I might be misremembering things [since I only got the first compilation volume of the following referenced series], but the Devil's Due Dragonlance comic book series [in the early 2000's] ran for about 15 or so issues.

Ah, so there was a series I wasn't familiar with. Did it have any of the same characters from the original DC/TSR title?

I liked the original series, but I thought it suffered from a lack of focus, early on. They bounced around among characters, before settling on the one I didn't like as much. Riva was cool, but I liked Myrella better.

Go to Top of Page

Thauranil
Master of Realmslore

India
1591 Posts

Posted - 28 Jan 2013 :  09:28:11  Show Profile Send Thauranil a Private Message
quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

I've found the three books from an online distributor -- one of which has been signed by Nick Kyme. So, woot!

Lucky you!
I enjoyed this series about 'benevolent' space marines and I hope you do as well.
Go to Top of Page

Thauranil
Master of Realmslore

India
1591 Posts

Posted - 28 Jan 2013 :  09:38:08  Show Profile Send Thauranil a Private Message
Currently reading The Air War by Adrian Tchaikovsky, the latest book in the Shadows of the apt series.
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31727 Posts

Posted - 28 Jan 2013 :  15:10:22  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message
quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Ah, so there was a series I wasn't familiar with. Did it have any of the same characters from the original DC/TSR title?
Not really. It was an entirely new series. There were also some limited series which adapted classic DL novels for the comic book -- like Legend of Huma and such.

Go to Top of Page

Artemas Entreri
Great Reader

USA
3131 Posts

Posted - 28 Jan 2013 :  17:21:21  Show Profile Send Artemas Entreri a Private Message
Started K.J. Parker's Devices and Desires, book 1 of the Enigneer Trilogy.

Go to Top of Page

The Masked Mage
Great Reader

USA
2420 Posts

Posted - 28 Jan 2013 :  18:01:18  Show Profile Send The Masked Mage a Private Message
I'm curently re-reading the Song of Ice and Fire because its time for a new season of Game of Thrones.
Go to Top of Page

Artemas Entreri
Great Reader

USA
3131 Posts

Posted - 28 Jan 2013 :  19:45:48  Show Profile Send Artemas Entreri a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by The Masked Mage

I'm curently re-reading the Song of Ice and Fire because its time for a new season of Game of Thrones.

I can't wait to purchase Season 2 in a few weeks!

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36798 Posts

Posted - 29 Jan 2013 :  03:43:49  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message
Just finished First Lord's Fury. Next is Ready Player One.

Go to Top of Page

realmsrider
Acolyte

USA
48 Posts

Posted - 29 Jan 2013 :  03:58:36  Show Profile Send realmsrider a Private Message

[/quote]

Spelljammer had a 15 issue dc run in the nineties. This is what I was referring to.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36798 Posts

Posted - 29 Jan 2013 :  05:34:56  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message
quote:

Spelljammer had a 15 issue dc run in the nineties. This is what I was referring to.

Ah, okay. I always thought that one was a shame -- just when they were starting to go in an interesting direction, the plug got pulled.

Go to Top of Page

realmsrider
Acolyte

USA
48 Posts

Posted - 29 Jan 2013 :  08:27:14  Show Profile Send realmsrider a Private Message
Knight of the Black Rose by James Lowder
This is what I was looking for. Bloody mayhem, memorable characters, epic fights, time travel-alternate dimensions and a proper standoff. The meat and potatoes of what I feel a good horror setting such as Ravenloft should embody.
I can't say I'm a Dragonlance fan. Originally I planned to read about 7 DL books before this novel because I'm a sucker for tie-ins and world building. I barely made it through the first trilogy(see previous posts in the old thread)when I said I've had and know enough, it's time to move on. That being said,I have no loyalty to the DL characters. Maybe Lord Soth falls out of the continuity/personality track here but man I really like this version of the dreaded Death Knight.
There's a half chapter where Azrael tells a story about his life. He's from Brigaluare. The Dwarven perspective of a world never to be seen or written about in TSR or WotC again. That really got me thinking about my younger tabletop gaming days. Taking snippets of what I was reading at the time and creating whole campaigns out of just a few random ideas. It really got me reminiscing about my love for the genre as a whole. I'll take that as a win and my worm on a hook for the Ravenloft series.

Go to Top of Page

Valmour
Acolyte

27 Posts

Posted - 29 Jan 2013 :  14:26:11  Show Profile Send Valmour a Private Message
Just finished all the precusor books and short stories before Twilight Falling, but going to take a detour though before I read more about Cale. I have decided to start reading Evermeet: Island of Elves and then possibly read the Cormyr trilogy after that before going back to Cale.

Good idea??

Edited by - Valmour on 29 Jan 2013 14:29:52
Go to Top of Page

Artemas Entreri
Great Reader

USA
3131 Posts

Posted - 29 Jan 2013 :  14:30:41  Show Profile Send Artemas Entreri a Private Message
quote:

Knight of the Black Rose by James Lowder
This is what I was looking for. Bloody mayhem, memorable characters, epic fights, time travel-alternate dimensions and a proper standoff. The meat and potatoes of what I feel a good horror setting such as Ravenloft should embody.
I can't say I'm a Dragonlance fan. Originally I planned to read about 7 DL books before this novel because I'm a sucker for tie-ins and world building. I barely made it through the first trilogy(see previous posts in the old thread)when I said I've had and know enough, it's time to move on. That being said,I have no loyalty to the DL characters. Maybe Lord Soth falls out of the continuity/personality track here but man I really like this version of the dreaded Death Knight.
There's a half chapter where Azrael tells a story about his life. He's from Brigaluare. The Dwarven perspective of a world never to be seen or written about in TSR or WotC again. That really got me thinking about my younger tabletop gaming days. Taking snippets of what I was reading at the time and creating whole campaigns out of just a few random ideas. It really got me reminiscing about my love for the genre as a whole. I'll take that as a win and my worm on a hook for the Ravenloft series.

It's been a long time since I read it but IIRC Spectre of the Black Rose was equally as good as Knight of the Black Rose.

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 47 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000