Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms Novels
 What are you reading? (2013)
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 47

Artemas Entreri
Great Reader

USA
3131 Posts

Posted - 21 Jan 2013 :  22:57:11  Show Profile Send Artemas Entreri a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Clad In Shadows

quote:
Originally posted by Entreri3478

Finished Toll the Hounds by Steven Erikson. I enjoyed this book but thought Erikson's inner monologues were laid on a bit thick in this volume. The first 1000 pages were decent for me, but I thought the last 300 pages were phenomenal and well worth the wait. I gave it 4 out of 5 stars on Goodreads.

I'm about halfway through at the moment. Without knowing anything about the second half of the book, I've read theories that these inner monologues are written in the voice of Kruppe. And some of them definitely sound like something that would come out of his mouth.

But either way, I'm still enjoying the hell out of this book.

Yeah I can see that for most of them. They kind of reminded me of some type of Shakespearean refrain where a narrator is trying to set the tone for things to come.

Some people have a way with words, and other people...oh, uh, not have way. -Steve Martin

Amazon "KindleUnlimited" Free Trial: http://amzn.to/2AJ4yD2

Try Audible and Get 2 Free Audio Books! https://amzn.to/2IgBede

Edited by - Artemas Entreri on 22 Jan 2013 03:06:04
Go to Top of Page

skychrome
Senior Scribe

713 Posts

Posted - 22 Jan 2013 :  02:36:18  Show Profile  Visit skychrome's Homepage Send skychrome a Private Message
Taking a short break from the realms and currently reading The Fifth Elephant from Pratchett. There is just nothing like the Watch and Commander Vimes, isnt't it?

"You make an intriguing offer, one that is very tempting. It would seem that I have little alternative than to answer thusly: DISINTEGRATE!" Vaarsuvius, Order of the Stick 625
Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7989 Posts

Posted - 22 Jan 2013 :  02:37:29  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message
Forget those guys. Rincewind is the only character who really matters.

[Edit]

I like Cohen, too.

[/Ayrik]

Edited by - Ayrik on 22 Jan 2013 02:41:51
Go to Top of Page

skychrome
Senior Scribe

713 Posts

Posted - 22 Jan 2013 :  02:54:28  Show Profile  Visit skychrome's Homepage Send skychrome a Private Message
Ok, you have a point, but still for me it's the Watch, especially Vimes, Vetinari and Detrius.

"You make an intriguing offer, one that is very tempting. It would seem that I have little alternative than to answer thusly: DISINTEGRATE!" Vaarsuvius, Order of the Stick 625
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31727 Posts

Posted - 22 Jan 2013 :  04:08:34  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by skychrome

Taking a short break from the realms and currently reading The Fifth Elephant from Pratchett. There is just nothing like the Watch and Commander Vimes, isnt't it?

I love that book.

I'm still tinkering with an idea of organising a campaign session that will see me run the City Watch of Waterdeep like the Watch of Ankh-Morpork.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage

Edited by - The Sage on 22 Jan 2013 04:09:51
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36798 Posts

Posted - 22 Jan 2013 :  05:02:05  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message
quote:

That's the only Discworld book I've read... I made the mistake of believing a couple of friends of mine who are Pratchett fans, and who told me repeatedly "oh, don't worry about it, you can jump in anywhere, you'll be fine!"

I won't say I disliked it, but while reading the book, I constantly felt like I was missing the joke or not catching the reference, because I'd not read any of the previous books. It was because of that experience that I've not picked up any other Discworld books.

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31727 Posts

Posted - 22 Jan 2013 :  06:09:53  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:

That's the only Discworld book I've read... I made the mistake of believing a couple of friends of mine who are Pratchett fans, and who told me repeatedly "oh, don't worry about it, you can jump in anywhere, you'll be fine!"

I won't say I disliked it, but while reading the book, I constantly felt like I was missing the joke or not catching the reference, because I'd not read any of the previous books. It was because of that experience that I've not picked up any other Discworld books.

I'd never recommend to any new readers of the DISCWORLD books that they just jump in anywhere. There are several long-established story-arcs running across multiple books, and they can be extraordinarily hard to follow if you've not previously read any of the books leading up to the one you've jumped into.

If [and maybe when] you get back into them, Wooly, I'd suggest you start with The Colour of Magic. If that doesn't grab you after the first read, then I'd say you probably won't like much of what comes after.

Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7989 Posts

Posted - 22 Jan 2013 :  06:44:09  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message
My approach to Discworld has been entirely random. In fact, I do pick and choose whatever just happens to be available today on the library shelf.

True, I'm probably missing "inside jokes" and story arcs and overarching silliness I would appreciate more by reading the series in their natural sequence. But I'm not really enough of a Pratchett fan to make such an effort, I just read and enjoy each book and character and bizarre gauche prolixity as it comes along, and I find the books enjoyable enough to sometimes check out that particular library shelf for something new.

I would say it's comparable in this regard to books by Douglas Adams. Yes, they make a whole lot more sense (if you can call it sensible) when read in proper order, but much humour can still be gained from reading each one in isolation.

[/Ayrik]
Go to Top of Page

LastStand
Learned Scribe

130 Posts

Posted - 22 Jan 2013 :  09:02:33  Show Profile Send LastStand a Private Message
I have about 100 pages left to finish up Mistborn, and am I glad I bought the boxset with all three books! I'm completely invested in the story and would hate if I would have had to wait for the the other books.

Out of curiosity let me pose a question to the scribes who are familiar with the Mistborn books...if you were in the fictional world and you are a misting, what type of allomancy or feruchemy would you prefer? To be a pewterarm seems to be one of the most useful.

"Don't. The battlegrounds that you and I have returned from alive are too different."

~ Claymore ch106
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36798 Posts

Posted - 22 Jan 2013 :  11:13:48  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

If [and maybe when] you get back into them, Wooly, I'd suggest you start with The Colour of Magic. If that doesn't grab you after the first read, then I'd say you probably won't like much of what comes after.

I have a copy of that one available... Another person lent it to me -- it was the same guy who lent me The Golden Compass. One of these days I'll actually read the Discworld book...

Edited by - Wooly Rupert on 22 Jan 2013 11:17:06
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 23 Jan 2013 :  10:10:38  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by LastStand

Out of curiosity let me pose a question to the scribes who are familiar with the Mistborn books...if you were in the fictional world and you are a misting, what type of allomancy or feruchemy would you prefer? To be a pewterarm seems to be one of the most useful.
Heh. Why be just a Misting if you can choose to be a Mistborn? Mistings need other Mistings to be sufficiently effective. If you're a Pewterarm, well, good, as long as you don't face a Coinshot (or a Mistborn). Otherwise, consider yourself dead.

Kind of a spolier: Vin will show you in Books 2 and 3 how a Mistborn battles against all Mistings.

Every beginning has an end.
Go to Top of Page

LastStand
Learned Scribe

130 Posts

Posted - 23 Jan 2013 :  11:08:18  Show Profile Send LastStand a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Dennis

quote:
Originally posted by LastStand

Heh. Why be just a Misting if you can choose to be a Mistborn? Mistings need other Mistings to be sufficiently effective. If you're a Pewterarm, well, good, as long as you don't face a Coinshot (or a Mistborn). Otherwise, consider yourself dead.

Kind of a spolier: Vin will show you in Books 2 and 3 how a Mistborn battles against all Mistings.

I agree that being a Mistborn is much better, but considering they are relatively rare, it's more feasible to ask what specific allomancy you would want.

"Don't. The battlegrounds that you and I have returned from alive are too different."

~ Claymore ch106
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 23 Jan 2013 :  12:16:02  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message

Like Breeze, I like people doing things for me (things I'm too lazy to do myself). So, yes, I'd be a Soother. But of course, it'd be way cooler if I can soothe (and riot) like the Lord Ruler. Effortlessly soothing thousands with nary an effort...That's something.

I agree LastStand, that being a Thug/Pewterarm is useful. However, you need to have a complete awareness of yourself like the obligators in order to guard yourself against Soothers and Rioters. Otherwise, you'd end up being their puppets. Also, as I pointed out earlier, Thugs are pretty helpless against Coinshots, who are like gunmen with invisible guns and "recyclable" and nearly unlimited bullets. One coin through the head is all it would take to kill a Thug.

Edited by - Dennis on 23 Jan 2013 12:24:01
Go to Top of Page

Thauranil
Master of Realmslore

India
1591 Posts

Posted - 23 Jan 2013 :  12:45:57  Show Profile Send Thauranil a Private Message
quote:

Ok, you have a point, but still for me it's the Watch, especially Vimes, Vetinari and Detrius.

You have my support for that. I love reading about the Watch though the Rincewind series was also pretty good.
Go to Top of Page

DragonReader
Senior Scribe

USA
371 Posts

Posted - 23 Jan 2013 :  20:17:35  Show Profile  Visit DragonReader's Homepage Send DragonReader a Private Message
Finished reading A Feast for Crows by George R.R. Martin.

Will take a short break from A Song of Fire and Ice to read Legion by Brandon Sanderson.

Then on to A Dance with Dragons

Edited by - DragonReader on 23 Jan 2013 20:18:00
Go to Top of Page

Artemas Entreri
Great Reader

USA
3131 Posts

Posted - 23 Jan 2013 :  20:51:57  Show Profile Send Artemas Entreri a Private Message
Finished Paul Kearney's The Ten Thousand. Fun military fantasy story set in a zero-magic world....so Dennis won't like it.

Continuing with book 2 of this series Corvus.

Some people have a way with words, and other people...oh, uh, not have way. -Steve Martin

Edited by - Artemas Entreri on 23 Jan 2013 21:17:10
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36798 Posts

Posted - 23 Jan 2013 :  22:00:03  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by DragonReader

Finished reading A Feast for Crows by George R.R. Martin.

Will take a short break from A Song of Fire and Ice to read Legion by Brandon Sanderson.

Then on to A Dance with Dragons

My short break from George R.R. Martin is going on several months, now, and I've no idea when it will end. I read the first three books at once, and after that, I had to get away from the charnel house Westeros for a while.

Go to Top of Page

DragonReader
Senior Scribe

USA
371 Posts

Posted - 23 Jan 2013 :  23:58:03  Show Profile  Visit DragonReader's Homepage Send DragonReader a Private Message
quote:
My short break from George R.R. Martin is going on several months, now, and I've no idea when it will end. I read the first three books at once, and after that, I had to get away from the charnel house Westeros for a while.

I can definitely understand that. I took a one book break between books 2 and 3 and am now taking a break between 4 and 5, but the way 4 ended makes me want to dive back in :)

Legion is short (88 pages) so I expect to start Dance tomorrow :)
Go to Top of Page

skychrome
Senior Scribe

713 Posts

Posted - 24 Jan 2013 :  01:49:43  Show Profile  Visit skychrome's Homepage Send skychrome a Private Message
quote:

quote:

Hi Wooly, actually you are totally right. You did not only feel like missing the jokes. Because effectively there are some kind of "running gag" situations that have established themselves over a series of books. And when Vimes is at Vetinari's office, one already starts to chuckle because during several previous novels, the communications process of those meetings has become what it is.

It makes sense to start into certain Pratchett characters when they show up in the first novels. Lateron it is difficult to get all the context. But I believe it is worth it to give it a shot.

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31727 Posts

Posted - 24 Jan 2013 :  02:09:35  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by DragonReader

quote:

I can definitely understand that. I took a one book break between books 2 and 3 and am now taking a break between 4 and 5, but the way 4 ended makes me want to dive back in :)

Legion is short (88 pages) so I expect to start Dance tomorrow :)

I'm on the Part 1 of the third book now, but I'm finding that I'll also have to start reading other books at the same time, because the various GoT books can be quite demanding on my reading time.

I was also experiencing the same with my reading of "The Wheel of Time." I'd often have two or three other books going at the same time I was reading any one of the several 1000+ page volumes of that series.

Go to Top of Page

DragonReader
Senior Scribe

USA
371 Posts

Posted - 24 Jan 2013 :  02:56:32  Show Profile  Visit DragonReader's Homepage Send DragonReader a Private Message
Finished Legion by Brandon Sanderson

Now will read A Dance with Dragons by George R.R. Martin
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36798 Posts

Posted - 24 Jan 2013 :  05:24:38  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message
I'm on the last book of the Codex Alera, right now. I'm still planning to read Ready Player One after that, and then I think it may be time to delve into that epic I've heard so much about: Dune.

Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 24 Jan 2013 :  11:06:33  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message
quote:

I'm reading The Wizards Conclave by Douglas Niles. I find it interesting, so far. Jenna is your classic powerful and don't-mess-with-me granny. Coryn, while innocent with a promise for greatness, kinda seems too convenient a character to me. And Kalkarin... I hope he's not totally mad. Why do many mage-villains have to be mad? {Sigh}

As I understand, this book is supposed to address the "return" of magic in Krynn, one of the most fundamental issues in the Dragonlance universe. Yet said book has 320 pages only?! Okay, so it's part of a series (The Age of Mortals). However, if I'm not mistaken, each book in the series has a stand-alone plot.

[Now on Chapter 6, A Master for the Tower of Magic]
I'm halfway through. I have relatively more free time today, so I'd likely finish it.

On the Master of the White Robes, Palin: I find it hard to believe that the second most powerful wizard in all of Krynn, the very wizard who devoted his entire life to magecraft, would so easily give up that life and chose that of an ordinary yokel. Besides, if he's so determined to be the leader/mayor of their (insignificant) little village, I see no reason why he should do so without being a wizard at the same time. Leadership and magecraft aren't exactly opposites. Perhaps Palin has simply gone senile. A shame.

I guess Coryn is designed to replace Palin, but I still fail to see the need to throw Palin away like a toy you've grown tired of playing with.

On the Tower of High Sorcery of Wayreth: It literally stood the test of times (and the twins, if you know what I mean). Gods come and go, and it remains still. Wars ravaged Krynn, practically changing the whole map, and still, the Tower remains. Now enter a doltish wizard of wild magic, and the whole Tower is seriously threatened. What's Douglas thinking? I know he's a great author. He didn't receive literary awards for nothing. In my opinion, he could have come up with a better way to treat the Tower and the eradication/alteration of wild magic...Hopefully the other half of the book will make up for this atrocity.

Edited by - Dennis on 24 Jan 2013 11:11:56
Go to Top of Page

Artemas Entreri
Great Reader

USA
3131 Posts

Posted - 24 Jan 2013 :  14:04:00  Show Profile Send Artemas Entreri a Private Message
quote:

I'm on the last book of the Codex Alera, right now. I'm still planning to read Ready Player One after that, and then I think it may be time to delve into that epic I've heard so much about: Dune.

I will DEFINITELY be reading the Dune series this year.

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36798 Posts

Posted - 24 Jan 2013 :  16:12:39  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message
quote:

quote:

At this time, I'm only planning on reading Dune, and that's it. That may change after reading it, of course, but it will also depend on who wrote the other books -- I stick with the original author, on things like that, and don't pay attention to anyone else picking up the series and running with it.

Go to Top of Page

Artemas Entreri
Great Reader

USA
3131 Posts

Posted - 24 Jan 2013 :  16:27:51  Show Profile Send Artemas Entreri a Private Message
quote:

quote:

quote:

At this time, I'm only planning on reading Dune, and that's it. That may change after reading it, of course, but it will also depend on who wrote the other books -- I stick with the original author, on things like that, and don't pay attention to anyone else picking up the series and running with it.

I know for sure that Frank Herbert wrote the original 5 Dune books. I probably won't bother reading the ones his son wrote.

Edited by - Artemas Entreri on 24 Jan 2013 20:18:22
Go to Top of Page

Clad In Shadows
Learned Scribe

Canada
158 Posts

Posted - 24 Jan 2013 :  19:46:08  Show Profile Send Clad In Shadows a Private Message
quote:

quote:

Same. Not sure when I'll get to it. But at the very least, I will have started the series this year.
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31727 Posts

Posted - 25 Jan 2013 :  02:22:52  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message
quote:

quote:

I'm reading The Wizards Conclave by Douglas Niles. I find it interesting, so far. Jenna is your classic powerful and don't-mess-with-me granny. Coryn, while innocent with a promise for greatness, kinda seems too convenient a character to me. And Kalkarin... I hope he's not totally mad. Why do many mage-villains have to be mad? {Sigh}

As I understand, this book is supposed to address the "return" of magic in Krynn, one of the most fundamental issues in the Dragonlance universe. Yet said book has 320 pages only?! Okay, so it's part of a series (The Age of Mortals). However, if I'm not mistaken, each book in the series has a stand-alone plot.

[Now on Chapter 6, A Master for the Tower of Magic]
I'm halfway through. I have relatively more free time today, so I'd likely finish it.

On the Master of the White Robes, Palin: I find it hard to believe that the second most powerful wizard in all of Krynn, the very wizard who devoted his entire life to magecraft, would so easily give up that life and chose that of an ordinary yokel. Besides, if he's so determined to be the leader/mayor of their (insignificant) little village, I see no reason why he should do so without being a wizard at the same time. Leadership and magecraft aren't exactly opposites. Perhaps Palin has simply gone senile. A shame.

I guess Coryn is designed to replace Palin, but I still fail to see the need to throw Palin away like a toy you've grown tired of playing with.

On the Tower of High Sorcery of Wayreth: It literally stood the test of times (and the twins, if you know what I mean). Gods come and go, and it remains still. Wars ravaged Krynn, practically changing the whole map, and still, the Tower remains. Now enter a doltish wizard of wild magic, and the whole Tower is seriously threatened. What's Douglas thinking? I know he's a great author. He didn't receive literary awards for nothing. In my opinion, he could have come up with a better way to treat the Tower and the eradication/alteration of wild magic...Hopefully the other half of the book will make up for this atrocity.

There's more to Palin and his relationship with magic than what you've read in this novel, Dennis. I really would recommend you seek out the rest of his notable appearances in the DL canon, and see for yourself. [If you've not already done so, that is. ]

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31727 Posts

Posted - 25 Jan 2013 :  02:23:36  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message
quote:

quote:

quote:

The rest of the core DUNE series is written by Frank Herbert. So you shouldn't have any difficulty following on from the first book if you so wish.

The Prequels written by Kevin J Anderson and Brian Herbert are somewhat different books -- in both tone and style, from that of the Frank Herbert core books. But, fortunately, you really only need to read one of the Prequels books to determine whether you'll wish to continue, because the joint-writing style of both contributing authors is very much consistent throughout the series of books they've written to support the DUNE universe.

Go to Top of Page

Thauranil
Master of Realmslore

India
1591 Posts

Posted - 25 Jan 2013 :  11:11:32  Show Profile Send Thauranil a Private Message
Finished Tome of Fire, a collection of short stories about the Salamanders chapter set in Warhammer 40k universe.
A good book, but only if you have the already read the Tome of Fire trilogy otherwise you will be left wondering what is going on.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 47 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000