Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms Novels
 What are you reading? (2013)
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 47

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 18 Jan 2013 :  10:56:42  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Entreri3478

quote:
Originally posted by Valmour

I just finished Elminster Making of a Mage, which was pretty good, but I thought the ending could have been a bit better. There were so many characters being brought up without any development that I thought that I should have been taking notes throughout the book.

Who is this person again????

Reading Waterdeep now to finish the trilogy. I have so far enjoyed this series, but not sure if I should continue on with that series or start another??? Any thoughts?
If you enjoyed the first 3 Avatar books then you will probably LOVE Prince of Lies and Crucible.
I highly recommend Crucible. The first original trilogy I couldn't stand. I read Books 1 and 2, and half of Waterdeep. [Or maybe I finished/skimmed through the last one; I just couldn't remember what happened at the end.]

Every beginning has an end.
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 18 Jan 2013 :  11:06:14  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Dennis

quote:
Originally posted by Thauranil

quote:

Well, at least you guys read them in order. I didn't. So just imagine my confusion. Hehe. For its deceptive simplicity and for being a explosive opening to a 'big' series, [Deadhouse Gates Gardens of the Moon continues to be favorite (so far), and Dust of Dreams, the least.

I wholeheartedly agree with that. After reading Dust of Dreams I had to take a year long break from this series in spite of the fact that I read each book back to back before.
I suppose it's because of the sheer size of it and the inclusion of so many characters I'd rather see die or get mutilated, and Erikson's barrage of (redundant) philosophical musings. I didn't hate it, though. There's still enough fun sprinkled all throughout. But unlike the first book, it just didn't grab me that much.

Edit: Oops. Not Deadhouse Gates, but Gardens of the Moon, for setting up the stage so neatly and effectively. The Bonehunters comes as second, for sheer action that makes up for Erikson's (occasionally annoying?) verbal flux.

Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 18 Jan 2013 :  11:13:27  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message
quote:

Finished Prince of the Blood by Raymond Feist. I read the authors preferred edition , in which he made some changes to the original such as making the twins more likable. Has anyone read the original and know how does it compare to the new edition?
I only read the original edition, which was just okay. But unlike many other works of Ray, it didn't really grab me that much. 'Tis one of his few books that I haven't re-read in years. Needless to say, I didn't bother getting the Author’s Preferred (15th Anniversary) Edition.

Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 18 Jan 2013 :  11:16:10  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message

I recently finished Things I'll Never Say by M.J. O'Shea. A sugar-sweet coming-of-age story of two best friends falling for each other. Typical, yes. But the 'telling' makes it shine above a few others of the same theme.

Go to Top of Page

Valmour
Acolyte

27 Posts

Posted - 18 Jan 2013 :  11:39:15  Show Profile Send Valmour a Private Message
Just finished the Avatar Trilogy and starting the Prince of Lies... prologue was pretty good!!!

Avatar trilogy was a rather entertaining. I must say though that I really, really hated Cyric's crying and moaning in the second book, almost to the point where I about quit reading it, LOL.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36798 Posts

Posted - 18 Jan 2013 :  11:54:09  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message
quote:

Finished Prince of the Blood by Raymond Feist.
I read the authors preferred edition , in which he made some changes to the original such as making the twins more likable.
Has anyone read the original and know how does it compare to the new edition?

I've not read it in a long time, but I don't recall any significant differences between the two.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Artemas Entreri
Great Reader

USA
3131 Posts

Posted - 18 Jan 2013 :  16:26:24  Show Profile Send Artemas Entreri a Private Message
Have any of the scribes read Kevin J. Parker's Engineer trilogy? The first book is called Devices and Desires. It looks pretty interesting and I wanted to get a few opinions before picking it up.

Some people have a way with words, and other people...oh, uh, not have way. -Steve Martin

Amazon "KindleUnlimited" Free Trial: http://amzn.to/2AJ4yD2

Try Audible and Get 2 Free Audio Books! https://amzn.to/2IgBede
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 18 Jan 2013 :  16:37:44  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message

Sometime ago it hit the No. 1 spot of our local bookstores' Bestseller list. I got curious and read the first forty pages or so, and just like the blurb itself, it didn't really grab me. Well, as you know, I'm not exactly into low-magic setting.

Go to Top of Page

Artemas Entreri
Great Reader

USA
3131 Posts

Posted - 18 Jan 2013 :  16:44:06  Show Profile Send Artemas Entreri a Private Message
quote:

Sometime ago it hit the No. 1 spot of our local bookstores' Bestseller list. I got curious and read the first forty pages or so, and just like the blurb itself, it didn't really grab me. Well, as you know, I'm not exactly into low-magic setting.

Yeah I would imagine that the entire story is low-magic or zero magic. It sounds interesting to me though because the main character is an exiled torturer out for revenge.

Some people have a way with words, and other people...oh, uh, not have way. -Steve Martin

Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 18 Jan 2013 :  17:59:05  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message

I'm reading Siege, Book 1 of The Mutant Empire Trilogy by Christopher Golden. The blurb is a bit misleading. The plot does not just involve Magneto's grab for mutant domination on earth. It's also focused on Cyclops (and four other X-Men)'s mission to save his father, Corsair, from the (literal) claws of the megalomaniac and incurably insane Deathbird in Hala, millions of galaxies away. In fact, the chapters alternate between the scenes in the Kree home world and the Sentinel crisis in Colorado. The “empire” in the title does not refer to Magneto's mutant empire agenda only, but also to the Shi'ar Empire, which will undoubtedly face another crisis now that Deathbird is appointed Viceroy of Hala.

Iceman's insecurity is rather unexpected. I never thought of him as the weakest X-Man.

While Rogue, Gambit, Cyclops, Jean, Warren (Archangel), Gladiator, and Starbolt provide 'quality' entertainment in Hala, I still think that it would have been way better if Golden provided Magneto more face time. Frankly, I could hardly care for what happens in Hala, or the entire Shi'ar empire for that matter. The immediate threat (Magneto) to the world must have been addressed more seriously.

Rogue occasionally provides comic relief in this novel, just like in Chapter 9, page 179:

quote:
It wouldn't last long, Rogue knew. They had to make the best of it. Pushing away the fear of using her hated power, she pulled off one of her gloves, and reached for Starbolt's face.

"No offense, hon', but I really don't feel like kissin' you, okay?"

Golden effectively made Deathbird and Gyrich (her male human counterpart) the villains you'd so love to hate. They may be predictable, but in no way are they less effective antagonists.

Now on Chapter 12, page 222.

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31727 Posts

Posted - 19 Jan 2013 :  02:14:05  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message
If you want a great example of Iceman really standing on his own and showing what he's truly capable of, I'd recommend you track down the trade-paperback editions of the Operation: Zero Tolerance storyline from the late 90's. It features Bobby leading what remains of the X-Men [both new and old characters] in hide-and-seek battle with the mutant-hunting forces of Bastion and his initially US/SHIELD-government backed 'Zero Tolerance' initiative.

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 19 Jan 2013 :  05:31:30  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message

Thanks, Sage. But it's okay. Iceman's not exactly a fave of mine. The primary reason I'm reading this series is because of Magneto. That's why as I mentioned above, I couldn't care less for what happens in Hala.

Go to Top of Page

Thauranil
Master of Realmslore

India
1591 Posts

Posted - 19 Jan 2013 :  10:16:28  Show Profile Send Thauranil a Private Message
Starting on the Kings Buccaneers by Raymond Feist.
Good book so far. I love Ghuda and Nakor.
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 19 Jan 2013 :  10:32:51  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message

I also love Nakor. And his travel sack that never runs out of oranges.

Go to Top of Page

Thauranil
Master of Realmslore

India
1591 Posts

Posted - 19 Jan 2013 :  11:17:27  Show Profile Send Thauranil a Private Message
Blue riders forever!
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36798 Posts

Posted - 19 Jan 2013 :  15:47:56  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message
I love The King's Buccaneer. It's one of my fave books, out of all of the Kelewan/Midkemia books.

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36798 Posts

Posted - 19 Jan 2013 :  15:51:08  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message
I finished Captain's Fury last night -- actually, very early this morn. Princeps' Fury is next.

I think, once I'm done with the Codex Alera, that the next book will be Ready Player One.

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31727 Posts

Posted - 20 Jan 2013 :  02:49:36  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message
I'm going back through some old BATTLETECH novels at the moment... and revisiting Impetus of War.

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36798 Posts

Posted - 20 Jan 2013 :  05:36:53  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

I'm going back through some old BATTLETECH novels at the moment... and revisiting Impetus of War.

Several months ago, I made a point of re-buying that one and Highlander Gambit so I could re-read them.

Go to Top of Page

Thauranil
Master of Realmslore

India
1591 Posts

Posted - 20 Jan 2013 :  10:45:36  Show Profile Send Thauranil a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

I love The King's Buccaneer. It's one of my fave books, out of all of the Kelewan/Midkemia books.

I think its my favorite one so far, I couldn't put it down once starting.
But i cant believe Ghuda got killed off. Does Raymond Feist not like mercenaries or something.
Go to Top of Page

Thauranil
Master of Realmslore

India
1591 Posts

Posted - 20 Jan 2013 :  10:47:27  Show Profile Send Thauranil a Private Message
Taking a break from fantasy and reading Halo Primordium by Greg Bear now.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36798 Posts

Posted - 20 Jan 2013 :  14:18:41  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message
quote:

quote:

But i cant believe Ghuda got killed off. Does Raymond Feist not like mercenaries or something.

Feist has never been afraid to kill off characters, though he doesn't do it oft (and certainly not as oft as Martin!). Ghuda had a good run, and I thought his death was handled well.

Go to Top of Page

Artemas Entreri
Great Reader

USA
3131 Posts

Posted - 20 Jan 2013 :  14:23:30  Show Profile Send Artemas Entreri a Private Message
quote:

quote:

quote:

Feist has never been afraid to kill off characters, though he doesn't do it oft (and certainly not as oft as Martin!). Ghuda had a good run, and I thought his death was handled well.

Personally I like authors who aren't afraid to kill off characters. Love it or hate it, it definitely adds some tension to a story when you don't know how long your favorite character will be around.

Edited by - Artemas Entreri on 20 Jan 2013 17:06:49
Go to Top of Page

Artemas Entreri
Great Reader

USA
3131 Posts

Posted - 21 Jan 2013 :  01:37:03  Show Profile Send Artemas Entreri a Private Message
Finished Toll the Hounds by Steven Erikson. I enjoyed this book but thought Erikson's inner monologues were laid on a bit thick in this volume. The first 1000 pages were decent for me, but I thought the last 300 pages were phenomenal and well worth the wait. I gave it 4 out of 5 stars on Goodreads.

Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 21 Jan 2013 :  07:19:37  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message
quote:

quote:

quote:

I think its my favorite one so far, I couldn't put it down once starting. But i cant believe Ghuda got killed off. Does Raymond Feist not like mercenaries or something.
Agreed. Even characters that have been around for a very, very long time (surviving various series-shift) aren't guaranteed to stay till the end. [I'm tempted to drop names, Thauranil, but that would be too much of a spoiler for you, right?]

Go to Top of Page

Thauranil
Master of Realmslore

India
1591 Posts

Posted - 21 Jan 2013 :  10:59:25  Show Profile Send Thauranil a Private Message
quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

I think its my favorite one so far, I couldn't put it down once starting. But i cant believe Ghuda got killed off. Does Raymond Feist not like mercenaries or something.
Agreed. Even characters that have been around for a very, very long time (surviving various series-shift) aren't guaranteed to stay till the end. [I'm tempted to drop names, Thauranil, but that would be too much of a spoiler for you, right?]

La la la. I am not listening, ehh reading any spoilers.
Ghuda did have a good run and his death was touching but I never like to see a favorite character bite it , after just 2 novels anyway.
Go to Top of Page

Artemas Entreri
Great Reader

USA
3131 Posts

Posted - 21 Jan 2013 :  15:18:44  Show Profile Send Artemas Entreri a Private Message
Reading The Ten Thousand by Paul Kearney.

Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 21 Jan 2013 :  15:35:53  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message

I'm reading The Wizards Conclave by Douglas Niles. I find it interesting, so far. Jenna is your classic powerful and don't-mess-with-me granny. Coryn, while innocent with a promise for greatness, kinda seems too convenient a character to me. And Kalkarin... I hope he's not totally mad. Why do many mage-villains have to be mad? {Sigh}

As I understand, this book is supposed to address the "return" of magic in Krynn, one of the most fundamental issues in the Dragonlance universe. Yet said book has 320 pages only?! Okay, so it's part of a series (The Age of Mortals). However, if I'm not mistaken, each book in the series has a stand-alone plot.

Has anyone read this book yet?

[Now on Chapter 6, A Master for the Tower of Magic]

Go to Top of Page

Clad In Shadows
Learned Scribe

Canada
158 Posts

Posted - 21 Jan 2013 :  17:46:54  Show Profile Send Clad In Shadows a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Entreri3478

Finished Toll the Hounds by Steven Erikson. I enjoyed this book but thought Erikson's inner monologues were laid on a bit thick in this volume. The first 1000 pages were decent for me, but I thought the last 300 pages were phenomenal and well worth the wait. I gave it 4 out of 5 stars on Goodreads.

I'm about halfway through at the moment. Without knowing anything about the second half of the book, I've read theories that these inner monologues are written in the voice of Kruppe. And some of them definitely sound like something that would come out of his mouth.

But either way, I'm still enjoying the hell out of this book.
Go to Top of Page

Captain Grafalcon
Learned Scribe

Brazil
129 Posts

Posted - 21 Jan 2013 :  22:14:26  Show Profile Send Captain Grafalcon a Private Message
Starting Evermeet: Island of the Elves.

"Surely you recognize that armies carrying banners are almost always thieves—until they win."
Jarlaxle, mercenary leader of Bregan D'aerthe.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 47 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000