Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms Novels
 What are you reading? (2013)
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 47

Euranna
Learned Scribe

USA
219 Posts

Posted - 14 Jan 2013 :  03:26:56  Show Profile Send Euranna a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Dennis

I saw this at a used bookstore. I browsed through a couple of pages, and I thought it's an okay gift to the gamers' female friends or girlfriends.

This is a fun book. I have a copy and have given a few copies out myself.
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 14 Jan 2013 :  03:37:41  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by jornan

Just started the Night Angel Trilogy by Brent Weeks. Really enjoying it so far.
That's a great series. Fast-paced action, almost-unpredictable twists, and characters you'd love and love to hate. Kylar's near the top of my list of favorite characters.

Every beginning has an end.
Go to Top of Page

Artemas Entreri
Great Reader

USA
3131 Posts

Posted - 14 Jan 2013 :  03:44:51  Show Profile Send Artemas Entreri a Private Message
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by jornan

Just started the Night Angel Trilogy by Brent Weeks. Really enjoying it so far.
That's a great series. Fast-paced action, almost-unpredictable twists, and characters you'd love and love to hate. Kylar's near the top of my list of favorite characters.

Yep, great easy to follow series. I also enjoy Weeks' Lightbringer series just as much.

Some people have a way with words, and other people...oh, uh, not have way. -Steve Martin

Amazon "KindleUnlimited" Free Trial: http://amzn.to/2AJ4yD2

Try Audible and Get 2 Free Audio Books! https://amzn.to/2IgBede
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 14 Jan 2013 :  03:45:48  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message
quote:

I just finished I Want To Be Naughty, I'm A Bad Kid, But That's Okay Isn't It?, and I Don't Dislike You by Mei Sakuraga. Towa and Mikado's story is cute. But Shinonome and Yukimura's is way better. The seemingly opposite poles actually share so many things in common. I'm now on Volume 4, If It Isn't Love...
Done with the entire series (ten volumes). The plots are predictable (well, in this genre, nothing is unpredictable), but the characters are likeable and the artwork, tasteful.

Edited by - Dennis on 14 Jan 2013 03:46:54
Go to Top of Page

Artemas Entreri
Great Reader

USA
3131 Posts

Posted - 14 Jan 2013 :  17:02:14  Show Profile Send Artemas Entreri a Private Message
Starting the 6th Amber book: Trumps of Doom.

Some people have a way with words, and other people...oh, uh, not have way. -Steve Martin

Go to Top of Page

LastStand
Learned Scribe

130 Posts

Posted - 14 Jan 2013 :  18:22:14  Show Profile Send LastStand a Private Message
About 300 pages into Mistborn and greatly enjoying it. Brandon Sanderson is steadily becoming one of my go-to authors for good, unique fantasy.

"Don't. The battlegrounds that you and I have returned from alive are too different."

~ Claymore ch106
Go to Top of Page

Artemas Entreri
Great Reader

USA
3131 Posts

Posted - 14 Jan 2013 :  19:44:41  Show Profile Send Artemas Entreri a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by LastStand

About 300 pages into Mistborn and greatly enjoying it. Brandon Sanderson is steadily becoming one of my go-to authors for good, unique fantasy.

Elantris is the only full sized book of his that I have read but I did really enjoy it. Mistborn is nestled comfortably in my "To Read" stack.

Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 15 Jan 2013 :  03:57:13  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by LastStand

The Final Empire starts a bit slow. But when you persevere, you'll be rewarded. It's a great book, so as the whole series.

You'll likely find it way better than Alloy of Law.

Go to Top of Page

Tyrant
Senior Scribe

USA
586 Posts

Posted - 15 Jan 2013 :  07:13:15  Show Profile  Visit Tyrant's Homepage Send Tyrant a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Tyrant
Now I think I am going to finish the short stories in When The Hero Comes Home. I concentrated on Realms authors when I first picked up so now I will finish it. After that it will either be back to Realms back log or I will buy a copy of When The VIllain Comes Home. Somewhere in our lack of new Realms novels I will possibly attempt to tackle the SW:NJO series as it is one of the major chunks of Star Wars that I haven't touched at all.

I ended up finishing When The Hero Comes Home. The stories by the Realms authors did seem to stand out more (to me) than most of the others, but none were bad in my opinion. I will pick up When The Villain Comes Home either on my next trip to the book store or in my next Amazon order. For now I am reading Dust by Joan Frances Turner. I picked it up at a Borders that was going out of business a couple years ago because it was a zombie book set in Indiana. Since I like zombie movies and I live in Indiana I thought it was worth a shot. I'm about 50 pages in and I regret not getting to it sooner. It isn't great, but it does have some interesting ideas (like the zombies still being "aware" and being able to communicate with one another) and the 50 pages I read so far went by pretty quick.

Peace is a lie, there is only passion. Through passion, I gain strength. Through strength, I gain power. Through power, I gain victory. Through victory, my chains are broken. The Force shall free me.
-The Sith Code

Teenage Sith zombies, Tulkh thought-how in the moons of Bogden had it all started? Every so often, the universe must just get bored and decide to really cut loose. -Star Wars: Red Harvest
Go to Top of Page

Entromancer
Senior Scribe

USA
388 Posts

Posted - 15 Jan 2013 :  20:43:06  Show Profile Send Entromancer a Private Message
I just finished A Cure for Cancer by Michael Moorcock. The book is split into four sections, each one being titled after a medical procedure: First Incision, Transfusion etc. Overall, ACFC is a delightfully nihilistic romp through England and American in a world where each nation is at war with the other. The chapter headings--inflammatory beauties such as "Rape Goon Takes a Nap with a Corpse!"--are, well, interesting but don't seem much related to the plot.

The plot sort of meanders in and out; it boils down to a photonegative Jerry Cornelius (pitch-black skin with starkly white hair vs. white skin with black hair as in The Final Programme) racing against a gluttonous Bishop Beesley to procure a machine which increases the entropy levels throughout the universe. Jerry is, at best, an amoral protagonist who is trying to save the world by bringing about its dissolution into Chaos, so that it can be reborn with a greater sense of equilibrium between Law and Chaos. He's got no qualms about turning his vibragun on his allies and lovers once he's done with them.

The Bishop, of course, wishes to destroy the entropy machine to preserve the word, even though its basically gone to pot.

I give it a 8.5/10

"...the will is everything. The will to act."--Ra's Al Ghul

"Suffering builds character."--Talia Al Ghul
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36798 Posts

Posted - 15 Jan 2013 :  21:22:09  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message
I started Captain's Fury last night. Late last night. Far too late, actually -- I should have been in bed long before then, but I was so close to the end of book 3!

I actually dozed off at my computer this morn. Oops!

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31726 Posts

Posted - 16 Jan 2013 :  01:26:01  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

I started Captain's Fury last night. Late last night. Far too late, actually -- I should have been in bed long before then, but I was so close to the end of book 3!
I've heard some interesting things about this book from friends. Time for me to check it out for myself, I think.

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36798 Posts

Posted - 16 Jan 2013 :  04:53:17  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

quote:

I've heard some interesting things about this book from friends. Time for me to check it out for myself, I think.

I decided to try the books because I've so thoroughly enjoyed the Dresden Files, and I'm far more likely to try new stuff by an author I like than I am to try an "untested" author. Plus, my friend Gino recommended them -- he and I usually have very similar interests in books, and there's a fair amount of stuff each of us has read because the other talked it up.

I am quite enjoying the books, and they're making me wish -- more than usual -- that I had more time to sit and read them!

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31726 Posts

Posted - 16 Jan 2013 :  05:46:25  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

quote:

I decided to try the books because I've so thoroughly enjoyed the Dresden Files, and I'm far more likely to try new stuff by an author I like than I am to try an "untested" author. Plus, my friend Gino recommended them -- he and I usually have very similar interests in books, and there's a fair amount of stuff each of us has read because the other talked it up.

I am quite enjoying the books, and they're making me wish -- more than usual -- that I had more time to sit and read them!

I'm always hesitant when a friend recommends a book. Not that I won't read it, but I can't help thinking that I'll probably end up liking the new book so much that I'll have to go out and buy the rest of the series!

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Clad In Shadows
Learned Scribe

Canada
158 Posts

Posted - 16 Jan 2013 :  18:21:39  Show Profile Send Clad In Shadows a Private Message
I'm about 100 pages into Toll The Hounds by Steven Erikson.
Go to Top of Page

Thauranil
Master of Realmslore

India
1591 Posts

Posted - 17 Jan 2013 :  10:35:30  Show Profile Send Thauranil a Private Message
I ll started on Prince of the Blodd.
How did Arthura give birth to such a pair of brats.
Go to Top of Page

Valmour
Acolyte

27 Posts

Posted - 17 Jan 2013 :  11:07:33  Show Profile Send Valmour a Private Message
I just finished Elminster Making of a Mage, which was pretty good, but I thought the ending could have been a bit better. There were so many characters being brought up without any development that I thought that I should have been taking notes throughout the book.

Who is this person again????

Reading Waterdeep now to finish the trilogy. I have so far enjoyed this series, but not sure if I should continue on with that series or start another??? Any thoughts?

Edited by - Valmour on 17 Jan 2013 11:28:00
Go to Top of Page

Artemas Entreri
Great Reader

USA
3131 Posts

Posted - 17 Jan 2013 :  14:15:51  Show Profile Send Artemas Entreri a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Valmour

I just finished Elminster Making of a Mage, which was pretty good, but I thought the ending could have been a bit better. There were so many characters being brought up without any development that I thought that I should have been taking notes throughout the book.

Reading Waterdeep now to finish the trilogy. I have so far enjoyed this series, but not sure if I should continue on with that series or start another??? Any thoughts?

If you enjoyed the first 3 Avatar books then you will probably LOVE Prince of Lies and Crucible.

Go to Top of Page

Artemas Entreri
Great Reader

USA
3131 Posts

Posted - 17 Jan 2013 :  14:16:52  Show Profile Send Artemas Entreri a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Clad In Shadows

I'm about halfway through right now. What are your thoughts so far on this book?

Edited by - Artemas Entreri on 17 Jan 2013 14:17:16
Go to Top of Page

Valmour
Acolyte

27 Posts

Posted - 17 Jan 2013 :  14:20:19  Show Profile Send Valmour a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Entreri3478

quote:

If you enjoyed the first 3 Avatar books then you will probably LOVE Prince of Lies and Crucible.

Yeah, I have both of those books on my shelf ready to read, along with the Cale series, Elminster #2 and 3, and all the Harper series...

Where should I begin...
Go to Top of Page

Clad In Shadows
Learned Scribe

Canada
158 Posts

Posted - 17 Jan 2013 :  15:22:26  Show Profile Send Clad In Shadows a Private Message
quote:

quote:

I'm about halfway through right now. What are your thoughts so far on this book?

Just for clarification, I'm reading the hardcover (900 pages). So being on page 160 in my book is different from page 160 in the 1300 page paperback.

I'm definitely enjoying it so far. It's nice to see characters/settings that I haven't seen since the first and third books. Took me a while to get into the swing of things, and remembering who was who, and where we left off with them. But yeah, great read so far.
Go to Top of Page

Artemas Entreri
Great Reader

USA
3131 Posts

Posted - 17 Jan 2013 :  15:37:02  Show Profile Send Artemas Entreri a Private Message
quote:

quote:

quote:

Just for clarification, I'm reading the hardcover (900 pages). So being on page 160 in my book is different from page 160 in the 1300 page paperback.

I'm definitely enjoying it so far. It's nice to see characters/settings that I haven't seen since the first and third books. Took me a while to get into the swing of things, and remembering who was who, and where we left off with them. But yeah, great read so far.

I am sort of mixed on the book so far. I think it's mainly because all of the characters I am really interested in are not mentioned or mentioned only briefly. Hopefully it will pick up for me for the second half of the book.

Edited by - Artemas Entreri on 17 Jan 2013 15:37:30
Go to Top of Page

9thChapter
Learned Scribe

Canada
110 Posts

Posted - 17 Jan 2013 :  15:49:59  Show Profile  Visit 9thChapter's Homepage Send 9thChapter a Private Message
quote:

quote:

quote:

Yeah, I have both of those books on my shelf ready to read, along with the Cale series, Elminster #2 and 3, and all the Harper series...

Where should I begin...

My vote is for the Cale series. Start with Halls of Stormweather short story by Paul Kemp first and then Shadow's Witness before books 1-3 of Cale. Important backstory tie in.

Hope that helps.

Fantasy author of The Rithhek Cage series

http://darrentpatrick.com/the-rithhek-cage-trilogy/
Go to Top of Page

Clad In Shadows
Learned Scribe

Canada
158 Posts

Posted - 17 Jan 2013 :  16:13:16  Show Profile Send Clad In Shadows a Private Message
quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

I am sort of mixed on the book so far. I think it's mainly because all of the characters I am really interested in are not mentioned or mentioned only briefly. Hopefully it will pick up for me for the second half of the book.

I've accepted the fact that with a cast of character so large, there will be periods of time where my favourite characters aren't mentioned, even for several books (Rake, anyone?). But I go with the flow and usually discover new favourite characters.

Some have said that this book does drag, though. I'm not noticing it yet, but that seems to be a common opinion.
Go to Top of Page

Artemas Entreri
Great Reader

USA
3131 Posts

Posted - 17 Jan 2013 :  16:47:24  Show Profile Send Artemas Entreri a Private Message
quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

I've accepted the fact that with a cast of character so large, there will be periods of time where my favourite characters aren't mentioned, even for several books (Rake, anyone?). But I go with the flow and usually discover new favourite characters.

Some have said that this book does drag, though. I'm not noticing it yet, but that seems to be a common opinion.

I have noticed that for Toll the Hounds Steven Erikson's verbal diarrhea seems especially runny. It seems a prerequisite for each character to spew forth an inner monologue before they proceed with the plot.

Go to Top of Page

Clad In Shadows
Learned Scribe

Canada
158 Posts

Posted - 17 Jan 2013 :  18:32:47  Show Profile Send Clad In Shadows a Private Message
quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

I have noticed that for Toll the Hounds Steven Erikson's verbal diarrhea seems especially runny. It seems a prerequisite for each character to spew forth an inner monologue before they proceed with the plot.

Yeah, I've noticed that a few times. It's nothing that bothers me though. It's gotten a few chuckles out of me as well.
Go to Top of Page

Artemas Entreri
Great Reader

USA
3131 Posts

Posted - 17 Jan 2013 :  19:10:14  Show Profile Send Artemas Entreri a Private Message
quote:
Yeah, I've noticed that a few times. It's nothing that bothers me though. It's gotten a few chuckles out of me as well.

Which has been your favorite Malazan book so far? I am not sure that I could pick just one because for me House of Chains, Midnight Tides, The Bonehunters, and Reaper's Gale were all equally amazing.

Edited by - Artemas Entreri on 17 Jan 2013 19:10:33
Go to Top of Page

Artemas Entreri
Great Reader

USA
3131 Posts

Posted - 17 Jan 2013 :  21:18:40  Show Profile Send Artemas Entreri a Private Message
Finished Blood of Amber by Roger Zelazny.

Edited by - Artemas Entreri on 17 Jan 2013 21:19:03
Go to Top of Page

Clad In Shadows
Learned Scribe

Canada
158 Posts

Posted - 17 Jan 2013 :  21:34:19  Show Profile Send Clad In Shadows a Private Message
quote:

quote:

Which has been your favorite Malazan book so far? I am not sure that I could pick just one because for me House of Chains, Midnight Tides, The Bonehunters, and Reaper's Gale were all equally amazing.

Yeah, that's a tough one. Memories of Ice deserves a nod for being the book where I "got it". I was still confused prior to that one. But yeah, HoC, MT, tBH, and RG all seemed to get better and better with each volume.

I'm guessing either Midnight Tides or Reaper's Gale, with a solid nod towards House of Chains as well.
Go to Top of Page

Thauranil
Master of Realmslore

India
1591 Posts

Posted - 18 Jan 2013 :  07:38:46  Show Profile Send Thauranil a Private Message
Finished Prince of the Blood by Raymond Feist.
I read the authors preferred edition , in which he made some changes to the original such as making the twins more likable.
Has anyone read the original and know how does it compare to the new edition?
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 47 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000