Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms Novels
 What are you reading? (2013)
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 47

Artemas Entreri
Great Reader

USA
3131 Posts

Posted - 08 Feb 2013 :  16:14:09  Show Profile Send Artemas Entreri a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Clad In Shadows

If you've read the Coldfire Trilogy by CS Friedman, there's a recent e-book novella released called Dominion.

If you haven't read Coldfire, read it. Then read Dominion.

The Coldfire trilogy is on my "Too Read" list and I plan on reading it in 2013.

Some people have a way with words, and other people...oh, uh, not have way. -Steve Martin

Amazon "KindleUnlimited" Free Trial: http://amzn.to/2AJ4yD2

Try Audible and Get 2 Free Audio Books! https://amzn.to/2IgBede
Go to Top of Page

Artemas Entreri
Great Reader

USA
3131 Posts

Posted - 08 Feb 2013 :  20:43:14  Show Profile Send Artemas Entreri a Private Message
Finished Dust of Dreams by Steven Erikson! This was definitely not one of my favorite Malazan books, but I still enjoyed it. I didn't find the inner monologues to be as lengthly as I expected and thought they were more bearable than those found in Toll the Hounds. This book wasn't nearly as packed with earth-shattering action as most of the previous Malazan books, but the author clearly stated in the beginning of the book that this was really just part of a much larger book and that the end would have a bit of a cliffhanger. I am glad for Erikson's warning becuase otherwise I might have rated it a bit lower, even though it was a rather smooth read for me. That being said, I gave it 4 out of 5 stars on Goodreads.

Now reading a quick Terry Brooks short story called Imaginary Friends while I decide on what to read next.

Some people have a way with words, and other people...oh, uh, not have way. -Steve Martin

Edited by - Artemas Entreri on 08 Feb 2013 20:44:40
Go to Top of Page

Clad In Shadows
Learned Scribe

Canada
158 Posts

Posted - 08 Feb 2013 :  23:36:47  Show Profile Send Clad In Shadows a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Entreri3478

Finished Dust of Dreams by Steven Erikson! This was definitely not one of my favorite Malazan books, but I still enjoyed it. I didn't find the inner monologues to be as lengthly as I expected and thought they were more bearable than those found in Toll the Hounds. This book wasn't nearly as packed with earth-shattering action as most of the previous Malazan books, but the author clearly stated in the beginning of the book that this was really just part of a much larger book and that the end would have a bit of a cliffhanger. I am glad for Erikson's warning becuase otherwise I might have rated it a bit lower, even though it was a rather smooth read for me. That being said, I gave it 4 out of 5 stars on Goodreads.

Now reading a quick Terry Brooks short story called Imaginary Friends while I decide on what to read next.

Man how do you read these books so fast?
Go to Top of Page

Artemas Entreri
Great Reader

USA
3131 Posts

Posted - 09 Feb 2013 :  00:44:14  Show Profile Send Artemas Entreri a Private Message
quote:

quote:

I like to read at least 100 pages per day, but average about 150. Plus some books just flow better because of the author's writing style, and Erikson is one of those authors who is easier to read for me.

How are you enjoying Dust of Dreams?

Go to Top of Page

Clad In Shadows
Learned Scribe

Canada
158 Posts

Posted - 09 Feb 2013 :  01:28:05  Show Profile Send Clad In Shadows a Private Message
quote:

quote:

quote:

I like to read at least 100 pages per day, but average about 150. Plus some books just flow better because of the author's writing style, and Erikson is one of those authors who is easier to read for me.

How are you enjoying Dust of Dreams?

I'm about 2/3 of the way through it. Averaging about 50-60 (hardcover) pages per day. I was getting more pages per day with Toll the Hounds, but the font was considerably bigger in that book.

I'm enjoying it. Though some parts (like the random tribes and characters popping up...so many names) dragged a little more than others. Not really seeing any philosophical rants or anything. I was just stumbling a little and trying to grasp what was actually happening during the first half during those chapters. I've got a grasp on things now though and things are going a little more smoothly. But yeah, I'm still enjoying it and loving where quite a few of the story arcs are going.

And I can finally say I know who is on the front cover. That's always a little goal I have for every book, since the covers are usually pretty vague. Your mileage may vary if you are reading the books with all the new covers, but the old US and UK books had considerably different artwork.
Go to Top of Page

Artemas Entreri
Great Reader

USA
3131 Posts

Posted - 09 Feb 2013 :  01:56:10  Show Profile Send Artemas Entreri a Private Message
I am reading all of the Malazan books in the Tor mass market paperbacks and the cover I had for Dust of Dreams can be seen at the link below featuring who I hope is Toc the Younger.

http://encyclopediamalazica.pbworks.com/w/page/24886223/Dust%20of%20Dreams

Go to Top of Page

Valmour
Acolyte

27 Posts

Posted - 09 Feb 2013 :  07:30:34  Show Profile Send Valmour a Private Message
Got about 2/3 of the way through Evermeet and it is getting hard to choke down. It seems like the elves history just keeps repeating over and over and over. I think the book is ok, but I need a to read something else for a bit before I finish this.

So, I finished Pools of Radiance... I think an editor left half of what was supposed to be in that book on the floor somewhere. Not forgetting to mention that pages 1-32 were repeated in this book, so that I was missing pages 33- 64... ouch... had to buy it on my kindle to just read those missing pages.

Almost finished with The Rage - The Year of the Dragons, I think Byers is a pretty decent writer for Forgotten Realms. I am throughly enjoying this book.
Go to Top of Page

Valmour
Acolyte

27 Posts

Posted - 09 Feb 2013 :  11:34:36  Show Profile Send Valmour a Private Message
Just finished The Rage and I rather enjoyed the book.

Shall I finish Evermeet... or continue on with The Rite.
Go to Top of Page

Artemas Entreri
Great Reader

USA
3131 Posts

Posted - 09 Feb 2013 :  15:05:44  Show Profile Send Artemas Entreri a Private Message
Starting the final book of the "Malazan Book of the Fallen", The Crippled God.

Go to Top of Page

Artemas Entreri
Great Reader

USA
3131 Posts

Posted - 09 Feb 2013 :  15:07:03  Show Profile Send Artemas Entreri a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Valmour

So, I finished Pools of Radiance... I think an editor left half of what was supposed to be in that book on the floor somewhere. Not forgetting to mention that pages 1-32 were repeated in this book, so that I was missing pages 33- 64... ouch... had to buy it on my kindle to just read those missing pages.

I had this happen with my paperback copy of Arabian Nights, only it was 300 pages which I was missing right in the middle of the book. I was more than a little irritated.

Go to Top of Page

Entromancer
Senior Scribe

USA
388 Posts

Posted - 09 Feb 2013 :  18:20:45  Show Profile Send Entromancer a Private Message
Hawkmoon: The Jewel in the Skull

The story takes place in Europe after the Tragic Millenium. The countries have all been renamed, some fragmented by the events of the Tragic Millenium and reorganized under new nations and alliances.

The plot focuses on the Dark Empire of Granbretan, who have blended science with sorcery to become a major military power. The Dark Empire is looking to engulf the whole of Europe before turning to Amarekh across the sea.

There are two protagonists: Count Brass, who does not wish to directly oppose or antagonise Granbretan while maintaining guardianship of his lands and people. Not even the alleged crucifixtion of girl children, castration of the male children, and deprave acts performed on the adult citizens in the cities conquered by Granbretan can sway Brass into action.

Enter Duke Dorian Hawkmoon, a prince turned freedom fighter against Granbretan, who has struck a deal with Granbretan: give the Dark Empire a firm foothold in Count Brass's domain in exchange for a position as regent in Kolhn, Dorian's homeland, which has been taken over by the Dark Empire.

If you enjoy science fantasy you would like this. The setting is reminscent of the Warhammer 40K stuff; I wouldn't be surprised if they looked to the Hawkmoon series for inspiration.

"...the will is everything. The will to act."--Ra's Al Ghul

"Suffering builds character."--Talia Al Ghul
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 10 Feb 2013 :  07:13:56  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message

I'm reading Prophet of the Dead by Richard Lee Byers. I'm postponing all my appointments today so I could devour it without any distraction.

The blurb on the physical book is way better than what's currently on Amazon. (Doesn't WotC care?)

Every beginning has an end.

Edited by - Dennis on 10 Feb 2013 07:54:05
Go to Top of Page

Thauranil
Master of Realmslore

India
1591 Posts

Posted - 10 Feb 2013 :  10:15:45  Show Profile Send Thauranil a Private Message
Reading the Scar by China Melville.
I just love his New Crobuzon books.
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 10 Feb 2013 :  16:43:23  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Dennis

I'm reading Prophet of the Dead by Richard Lee Byers. I'm postponing all my appointments today so I could devour it without any distraction.

The blurb on the physical book is way better than what's currently on Amazon. (Doesn't WotC care?)
I'm now on page 69, Chapter 3. I'm loving it so far. I didn't know Sarshethrian is that important. For those of you seeking more lore on Lod and the Eminence of Aurant, this is a perfect book. For fans of Richard and the Brotherhood, a must.

This had me smiling:

quote:
From page 46:

Jhesri cocked her head. "It's poor and backward, certainly, and those qualities ought to make it an easy conquest. But the Thayans have never found it so."

Sarshethrian smiled. "What I was getting at is that it's the country where the mortal and fey worlds mingle more than any other. I don't know why, and at this point, neither does Lod. But he no doubt believes that given time and free rein, he can wring unique and potent magic from the land, and I imagine he's right.

"It's also a country that shares a border with those Thayans you mentioned, folk governed by necromancers and undead grandees who have good reason to be content with the world as it is. Lod will never free any zombie and wraith from bondage or persuade every vampire and lich to join him as long Thay stands as an alternative to his vision. Control of a neighboring land will help him pursue the task of bringing it down."

Remembering what it was like to fight the legions of Thay with their well-trained troops, formidable mages, and tamed demons, Jhesri smiled a crooked smile. "I wish him luck with that."

Every beginning has an end.

Edited by - Dennis on 10 Feb 2013 16:44:51
Go to Top of Page

Entromancer
Senior Scribe

USA
388 Posts

Posted - 11 Feb 2013 :  02:15:09  Show Profile Send Entromancer a Private Message
I need to reread The Masked Witches. Dennis, does the situation in Prophet of the Dead feel as desperate, or stacked against our heroes, as in Unholy?

Go to Top of Page

Artemas Entreri
Great Reader

USA
3131 Posts

Posted - 11 Feb 2013 :  21:15:21  Show Profile Send Artemas Entreri a Private Message
Hmmm, I'm 500 pages into The Crippled God and definitely think I need to take a break and read something else before finishing up. The final book in the "Malazan Book of the Fallen" series has me a little worried so far.

Go to Top of Page

Thauranil
Master of Realmslore

India
1591 Posts

Posted - 12 Feb 2013 :  14:25:17  Show Profile Send Thauranil a Private Message
quote:

Hmmm, I'm 500 pages into The Crippled God and definitely think I need to take a break and read something else before finishing up. The final book in the "Malazan Book of the Fallen" series has me a little worried so far.

It starts out really slow, in fact you wonder when the action is gonna start but the ending is really climatic. It really redeemed the whole book for me.
Go to Top of Page

Thauranil
Master of Realmslore

India
1591 Posts

Posted - 12 Feb 2013 :  14:29:42  Show Profile Send Thauranil a Private Message
I finally finished Halo Primodium, I ve been reading snippets of it between other books mostly because I did not care ofr it too much.
While its an interesting book, I really dont think Greg Bear is capable of conveying the whole Halo ethos. His books just dont feel like Halo books, I know he has to work with completely new characters and even the story is set way back in ancient days but still it just dont feel like Halo, especially this particular one.
Makes me wonder if he has ever played any of the games or even read the other novels in the series.
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31727 Posts

Posted - 12 Feb 2013 :  14:37:16  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Thauranil

I finally finished Halo Primodium, I ve been reading snippets of it between other books mostly because I did not care ofr it too much.
While its an interesting book, I really dont think Greg Bear is capable of conveying the whole Halo ethos. His books just dont feel like Halo books, I know he has to work with completely new characters and even the story is set way back in ancient days but still it just dont feel like Halo, especially this particular one.
Makes me wonder if he has ever played any of the games or even read the other novels in the series.

I felt kind of the same way... until I began to fully comprehend that Greg Bear isn't really writing about HALO. Instead, these books are focused almost exclusively on the Forerunners. Once I started reading them in that way, I found both of the books to be a great deal more enjoyable. There's a rich but untapped history to the HALO-verse, and I really do think Bear is only just beginning to get a handle on it.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Artemas Entreri
Great Reader

USA
3131 Posts

Posted - 12 Feb 2013 :  14:40:58  Show Profile Send Artemas Entreri a Private Message
quote:

quote:

It starts out really slow, in fact you wonder when the action is gonna start but the ending is really climatic. It really redeemed the whole book for me.

I'm glad to hear that because many main characters haven't even been mentioned and I am worried that Erikson is going to leave some plotlines incomplete...of course that would leave room for some follow up books in the future too.

Go to Top of Page

Artemas Entreri
Great Reader

USA
3131 Posts

Posted - 12 Feb 2013 :  14:42:55  Show Profile Send Artemas Entreri a Private Message
Jumping back into Midkemia with Feist's At the Gates of Darkness during my brief Malazan hiatus. This is book 2 of a small series which I thought I had all ready read.

Go to Top of Page

Thauranil
Master of Realmslore

India
1591 Posts

Posted - 12 Feb 2013 :  14:55:17  Show Profile Send Thauranil a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

quote:

I felt kind of the same way... until I began to fully comprehend that Greg Bear isn't really writing about HALO. Instead, these books are focused almost exclusively on the Forerunners. Once I started reading them in that way, I found both of the books to be a great deal more enjoyable. There's a rich but untapped history to the HALO-verse, and I really do think Bear is only just beginning to get a handle on it.

Maybe, but that's a charitable way of looking at it. I didnt want to buy a Greg Bear novel, I wanted a Halo book.
I mean there are Star Wars novels set thousands of years apart, many of them having no Jedi in them at all and written by a varied cast of authors. But despite this i have never felt this strongly that a novel does not belong in this specific universe before. If SW can do it why not Halo, which has a miniscule amount of novels in comparison.
Go to Top of Page

Clad In Shadows
Learned Scribe

Canada
158 Posts

Posted - 12 Feb 2013 :  16:00:07  Show Profile Send Clad In Shadows a Private Message
quote:

I am reading all of the Malazan books in the Tor mass market paperbacks and the cover I had for Dust of Dreams can be seen at the link below featuring who I hope is Toc the Younger.

I'm about 99% sure it's Toc. Either when he prevents Tool from dying, or when he saves Tool's kids.

Here are the books I read (a combination of Bantam and Tor hardcovers):

http://www.sfsite.com/grc/1001/gm10lg.jpg
http://www.stevenerikson.com/covers/02-deadhouse-tor340.jpg
http://www.stevenerikson.com/covers/03-memories-pb-tor340.jpg - Gruntle and Stonny
http://www.stevenerikson.com/covers/04-chains-tor340.jpg - Karsa...in a scene that did not take place at all.
http://www.stevenerikson.com/covers/05-midnight-tor340.jpg - Trull and brothers
http://www.stevenerikson.com/covers/06-bonehunters-tor340.jpg - The wagon chase scene. Paran is on the back cover.
http://www.stevenerikson.com/covers/07-reapers-tor340.jpg - Silchas Ruin, Udinas, and Seren
http://www.stevenerikson.com/covers/08-toll-bp340.jpg - This is the bantam version. The TOR version has Barathol Mekhar out in the streets of Darujhistan.

I also know roughly who (and what scene) is on the cover of the versions I did not read. It MIGHT be Whiskeyjack on the cover of the TOR version of Gardens of the Moon, but it is a pretty generic looking cover.

But Dust of Dreams was the first book I ever saw in the series, when I saw it in the science fiction book club as a pick of the month. So when I finally started the series, I was always wondering who was on that cover, and it took me this long to finally know. It's a bit of a milestone for me.
Go to Top of Page

Clad In Shadows
Learned Scribe

Canada
158 Posts

Posted - 12 Feb 2013 :  16:07:49  Show Profile Send Clad In Shadows a Private Message
quote:

quote:

quote:

I'm glad to hear that because many main characters haven't even been mentioned and I am worried that Erikson is going to leave some plotlines incomplete...of course that would leave room for some follow up books in the future too.

There are countless characters that I am wondering if their plotlines will be resolved. Characters I haven't heard from in...5-6 books. I honestly can't see them all being resolved. Of course, some characters may shift to the Esslemont books too.
Go to Top of Page

Artemas Entreri
Great Reader

USA
3131 Posts

Posted - 12 Feb 2013 :  16:19:52  Show Profile Send Artemas Entreri a Private Message
quote:

quote:

I'm about 99% sure it's Toc. Either when he prevents Tool from dying, or when he saves Tool's kids.

http://www.stevenerikson.com/covers/03-memories-pb-tor340.jpg - Gruntle and Stonny
http://www.stevenerikson.com/covers/04-chains-tor340.jpg - Karsa...in a scene that did not take place at all.
http://www.stevenerikson.com/covers/06-bonehunters-tor340.jpg - The wagon chase scene. Paran is on the back cover.
http://www.stevenerikson.com/covers/07-reapers-tor340.jpg - Silchas Ruin, Udinas, and Seren
http://www.stevenerikson.com/covers/08-toll-bp340.jpg - This is the bantam version. The TOR version has Barathol Mekhar out in the streets of Darujhistan.

I also know roughly who (and what scene) is on the cover of the versions I did not read. It MIGHT be Whiskeyjack on the cover of the TOR version of Gardens of the Moon, but it is a pretty generic looking cover.

But Dust of Dreams was the first book I ever saw in the series, when I saw it in the science fiction book club as a pick of the month. So when I finally started the series, I was always wondering who was on that cover, and it took me this long to finally know. It's a bit of a milestone for me.

Here is a link showing the cover art of the ones I have read. Great art by Steve Stone!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Malazan-Book-of-the-Fallen-Series-Complete-Collection-Set-1-10-by-Steven-Erikson-/140881600527?pt=US_Nonfiction_Book&hash=item20cd32a00f

Go to Top of Page

Clad In Shadows
Learned Scribe

Canada
158 Posts

Posted - 12 Feb 2013 :  16:36:11  Show Profile Send Clad In Shadows a Private Message
quote:

quote:

quote:

Here is a link showing the cover art of the ones I have read. Great art by Steve Stone!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Malazan-Book-of-the-Fallen-Series-Complete-Collection-Set-1-10-by-Steven-Erikson-/140881600527?pt=US_Nonfiction_Book&hash=item20cd32a00f

Yeah, I like his art. His is more new school, while the stuff I have is more stereotypical fantasy art. I believe he did some of the original Bantam stuff too. Many of these books (up to and including Bonehunters) have 3 pieces of artwork associated with them, with many internet arguments about which is best.
Go to Top of Page

Entromancer
Senior Scribe

USA
388 Posts

Posted - 12 Feb 2013 :  18:28:55  Show Profile Send Entromancer a Private Message
I am a big fan of Steve Stone's Dark Tower covers, especially for Wolves of the Calla and the final volume, The Dark Tower. As far as Malazan goes, I prefer Lockwood's covers.

Go to Top of Page

Artemas Entreri
Great Reader

USA
3131 Posts

Posted - 12 Feb 2013 :  19:13:05  Show Profile Send Artemas Entreri a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Entromancer

I am a big fan of Steve Stone's Dark Tower covers, especially for Wolves of the Calla and the final volume, The Dark Tower. As far as Malazan goes, I prefer Lockwood's covers.

I usually enjoy Steve Stone's book covers when they are more simplistic as seen in the Malazan books. His buys Feist covers aren't too my liking. I don't prefer Lockwood's art style for book covers at all. Too cartoony for me.

Go to Top of Page

Clad In Shadows
Learned Scribe

Canada
158 Posts

Posted - 12 Feb 2013 :  19:55:20  Show Profile Send Clad In Shadows a Private Message
Lockwood's Malazan covers are a little hit and miss. Considering that the Malazan series is not about "sword and sorcery" type situations, his use of that particular archetype doesn't seem to fit. Like the Gruntle/Stonny cover of MoI (not that I like the british version much either), or the Ruin cover of Reaper's Gale. Rhulad on the cover was much better, imo. I do love his House of Chains cover, despite it being an inaccurate cover.
Go to Top of Page

Artemas Entreri
Great Reader

USA
3131 Posts

Posted - 12 Feb 2013 :  20:34:36  Show Profile Send Artemas Entreri a Private Message
quote:

Lockwood's Malazan covers are a little hit and miss. Considering that the Malazan series is not about "sword and sorcery" type situations, his use of that particular archetype doesn't seem to fit. Like the Gruntle/Stonny cover of MoI (not that I like the british version much either), or the Ruin cover of Reaper's Gale. Rhulad on the cover was much better, imo. I do love his House of Chains cover, despite it being an inaccurate cover.

Yeah most of his Malazan covers looked too "D&D" for me, though I did like the House of Chains cover better than Steve Stone's which looked tooooooo computer generated. Lockwood also did the poster insert for Terry Brooks' Wards of Faerie and again, it just looked too D&D.

Edited by - Artemas Entreri on 12 Feb 2013 20:35:13
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 47 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000