Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms Novels
 What are you reading? (2013)
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 47

Clad In Shadows
Learned Scribe

Canada
158 Posts

Posted - 28 Feb 2013 :  17:29:37  Show Profile Send Clad In Shadows a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Entreri3478

It's amazing how some author's (Sanderson) can turn out multiple large books each year while others (Martin) turn out a book every 3-5 years.

Yeah, I thought the size and scope of Martin's books were a valid excuse, until I started reading stuff like Malazan, which is much more complex, yet gets released once a year.

If you read his blog, you'll realize Martin spends all his time at conventions, watching football, and basically doing everything but working on his Ice and Fire series.
Go to Top of Page

Aulduron
Learned Scribe

USA
343 Posts

Posted - 28 Feb 2013 :  19:00:32  Show Profile Send Aulduron a Private Message
Just started Brimstone Angels.

"Those with talent become wizards, Those without talent spend their lives praying for it"

-Procopio Septus
Go to Top of Page

Artemas Entreri
Great Reader

USA
3131 Posts

Posted - 28 Feb 2013 :  23:13:34  Show Profile Send Artemas Entreri a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Clad In Shadows

quote:

It's amazing how some author's (Sanderson) can turn out multiple large books each year while others (Martin) turn out a book every 3-5 years.

Yeah, I thought the size and scope of Martin's books were a valid excuse, until I started reading stuff like Malazan, which is much more complex, yet gets released once a year.

If you read his blog, you'll realize Martin spends all his time at conventions, watching football, and basically doing everything but working on his Ice and Fire series.

It will be VERY interesting to see what happens when HBO wants to shoot Season 6 of Game of Thrones when Martin hasn't released the book yet.

Some people have a way with words, and other people...oh, uh, not have way. -Steve Martin

Amazon "KindleUnlimited" Free Trial: http://amzn.to/2AJ4yD2

Try Audible and Get 2 Free Audio Books! https://amzn.to/2IgBede

Edited by - Artemas Entreri on 28 Feb 2013 23:14:02
Go to Top of Page

Artemas Entreri
Great Reader

USA
3131 Posts

Posted - 28 Feb 2013 :  23:15:12  Show Profile Send Artemas Entreri a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Clad In Shadows

quote:

quote:

It was just ok for me but sadly my least favorite book in the series. I'll tell you exactly why after you have finished it.

quote:

It'll be a bit for me. Things have popped up in my personal life that has taken away some of my reading time. I'll also be reading Stonewielder before The Crippled God.

I believe the events in Orb Sceptre Thone also take place at the same time as The Crippled God.

How would you compare Esslemont's Malazan books to Erikson's? Do you enjoy them as much?

I'm about halfway through, but I can say Stonewielder is much more enjoyable read so far than Return of the Crimson Guard. Esslemont is not putting so much energy into trying to sound like Erikson and more into developing his own style. Lots of great storylines too.

Good to know. I'm glad Esslemont is trying to have his own style as well.

Some people have a way with words, and other people...oh, uh, not have way. -Steve Martin

Go to Top of Page

Artemas Entreri
Great Reader

USA
3131 Posts

Posted - 28 Feb 2013 :  23:43:20  Show Profile Send Artemas Entreri a Private Message
Finished Erikson's First Collected Tales of Bauchelain & Korbal Broach. I enjoyed this collection of short stories and would recommend them to fans who have all ready read a few of his Malazan books. To me these stories didn't really feel like they were set in the same world, but they did offer a nice change of pace to Erikson's usual massive volumes. The humor was nice, if a bit morbid. The hardest thing to get used to was the small chapters! Some were only 1/2 a page long. I remember one chapter in "The Crippled God" that was 120 pages!

Edited by - Artemas Entreri on 28 Feb 2013 23:44:59
Go to Top of Page

LastStand
Learned Scribe

130 Posts

Posted - 01 Mar 2013 :  04:52:21  Show Profile Send LastStand a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Dennis

Fans of Brandon Sanderson and the Mistbon series, be happy:

He's written a Mistborn-themed novel due for release this September. It's called Steelheart. Different setting, different characters, but the blurb makes it sound Mistborn-ish. Though the target audience are YA this time.

I will buy it!
Before the 2nd Mistborn book was finished I order everything he wrote so far - except the WoT book (I never bothered to read WoT).

"Don't. The battlegrounds that you and I have returned from alive are too different."

~ Claymore ch106
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 01 Mar 2013 :  15:32:55  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message
quote:

Most of Sanderson's "new" books are old manuscripts he wrote years ago just recently polished. And they're in different genre targeted at different audiences, so I guess that made the multiple releases relatively easier and faster.

Every beginning has an end.
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 01 Mar 2013 :  15:41:55  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Thauranil

Basically in the old version Marcos was immortal because his father was cursed with immortality by a prophet who he mocked as he was being lead to his death. Kind of biblical.

In the new version he basically says sorry but that's just a lie I told you I am the chosen of the god of magic. Hmm that sounds familiar for some reason. Him being Miranda's father was not really that surprising.
Ah, I see. Well, when I read about the first version, I already had an idea that there's so much more to it, or nothing at all. A wizard who had gone into seclusion for so many years would hardly reveal his "roots" right away, don't you think? Also, I always imagine Macros to be someone with a perpetual aura of mystery and obfuscation, that you'd think twice before trusting anything that comes from his mouth.

Go to Top of Page

The Red Walker
Great Reader

USA
3567 Posts

Posted - 01 Mar 2013 :  15:53:06  Show Profile Send The Red Walker a Private Message
quote:

Not really when it comes down to it. Martin is a bit of an egomaniac who loves all the attention he gets(loves spending time with fans too, so dont think I'm saying he is rotten!), and really prefers film/TV to writing novels. He spends alot of time doing various other things as well. I quit reading his blog long ago, for the frustrations of him not working on his books!

A little nonsense now and then, relished by the wisest men - Willy Wonka

"We need men who can dream of things that never were." -

John F. Kennedy, speech in Dublin, Ireland, June 28, 1963

Edited by - The Red Walker on 01 Mar 2013 18:12:12
Go to Top of Page

Artemas Entreri
Great Reader

USA
3131 Posts

Posted - 01 Mar 2013 :  23:20:13  Show Profile Send Artemas Entreri a Private Message
Started Terry Brooks' Wards of Faerie!

Go to Top of Page

Artemas Entreri
Great Reader

USA
3131 Posts

Posted - 01 Mar 2013 :  23:22:02  Show Profile Send Artemas Entreri a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by The Red Walker

quote:

I quit reading his blog long ago, for the frustrations of him not working on his books!

I agree. Every time I saw him blogging about the NY Jets I thought to myself: "Couldn't he be spending this time killing off characters his his books?"

Go to Top of Page

Yoss
Learned Scribe

USA
259 Posts

Posted - 02 Mar 2013 :  05:31:39  Show Profile Send Yoss a Private Message
Lately, been reading too much Dragonball Z. I've decided I have less an issue with manga than I always have with comics, because its much easier for me to locate the beginning of a series and then go from there. I don't plan on sinking the kind of time and money that Naruto (although I did like the first few chapters of it) or Bleach (didnt like it so much, but i hardly gave it much of a chance), or something else massive or still ongoing would require. But at least I have that sense of linear-ness.

Also picked up Game of Thrones with the Barnes &Noble gift card my brother gave me for Christmas, but I've got at minimum finish Riptide (i tell you, that dbz has been really distracting) the new Drizzt book and the First Law trilogy before I break into that.
Go to Top of Page

Thauranil
Master of Realmslore

India
1591 Posts

Posted - 02 Mar 2013 :  13:11:44  Show Profile Send Thauranil a Private Message
quote:

quote:

Basically in the old version Marcos was immortal because his father was cursed with immortality by a prophet who he mocked as he was being lead to his death. Kind of biblical.

In the new version he basically says sorry but that's just a lie I told you I am the chosen of the god of magic. Hmm that sounds familiar for some reason. Him being Miranda's father was not really that surprising.
Ah, I see. Well, when I read about the first version, I already had an idea that there's so much more to it, or nothing at all. A wizard who had gone into seclusion for so many years would hardly reveal his "roots" right away, don't you think? Also, I always imagine Macros to be someone with a perpetual aura of mystery and obfuscation, that you'd think twice before trusting anything that comes from his mouth.

Good point. I suppose as I am a LOTR fan I tend to take what the irascible old wizards say at face value.
Go to Top of Page

Thauranil
Master of Realmslore

India
1591 Posts

Posted - 02 Mar 2013 :  13:13:20  Show Profile Send Thauranil a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Currently I am halfway through Rage of a Demon King, I am enjoying reading about the actual war and large scale battles after all the skirmishing and planning in the previous books.
Indeed. Books 1 and 2 were just "setting up the stage." Rage of a Demon King has a lot of surprises in store for you. And Pug learned a very valuable lesson he would never forget.
I just finished the book.Pug did learn a lot of lessons that's true enough. Though I preferred Marcus the Black original back story, the new one seemed kind of contrived.
Hmm. Care to share what is it exactly? I only recall his being a magician good, willing, and kind enough to help the Tsuranni magicians drive out the "Enemy" (whose true identity by the way you wouldn't learn until the newer series) as his "back story." Or are you referring to him being Miranda's father?

Until we got the new backstory, I thought Macros was Merlin. When we first meet him, he mentions a king who died but will return... Then, when he gives his backstory the first time, he mentions the condemned prophet, his father searching for an artifact, and his mother claiming that Macros's father was a demon.

The king who will return and the demonic father sound a lot like Arthurian legends concerning Merlin.

Hmm I hadnt thought of it that way but it v=certainly seems like an interesting possibility now that you mention it. Too bad it doesnt work out that way.
Go to Top of Page

Artemas Entreri
Great Reader

USA
3131 Posts

Posted - 02 Mar 2013 :  13:57:40  Show Profile Send Artemas Entreri a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Yoss

Lately, been reading too much Dragonball Z. I've decided I have less an issue with manga than I always have with comics, because its much easier for me to locate the beginning of a series and then go from there. I don't plan on sinking the kind of time and money that Naruto (although I did like the first few chapters of it) or Bleach (didnt like it so much, but i hardly gave it much of a chance), or something else massive or still ongoing would require. But at least I have that sense of linear-ness.

Also picked up Game of Thrones with the Barnes &Noble gift card my brother gave me for Christmas, but I've got at minimum finish Riptide (i tell you, that dbz has been really distracting) the new Drizzt book and the First Law trilogy before I break into that.

First Law Trilogy! Enjoy my friend.

Go to Top of Page

Artemas Entreri
Great Reader

USA
3131 Posts

Posted - 03 Mar 2013 :  03:40:04  Show Profile Send Artemas Entreri a Private Message
Finished Wards of Faerie by Terry Brooks. Great read and I can't wait for Book 2 to be released in 2 weeks!

Go to Top of Page

Artemas Entreri
Great Reader

USA
3131 Posts

Posted - 03 Mar 2013 :  15:47:59  Show Profile Send Artemas Entreri a Private Message
Starting Terry Goodkind's Wizard's First Rule.

Go to Top of Page

Thauranil
Master of Realmslore

India
1591 Posts

Posted - 04 Mar 2013 :  12:54:42  Show Profile Send Thauranil a Private Message
Started Shards of a Broken Crown, the last book of the Serpentwar series.
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 04 Mar 2013 :  13:35:01  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message
quote:

That's heavy on politics.

By the way, how did you find Pug's "comatose state" in Rage of the Demon King? In an interview, Ray said he had to limit Pug's powers and involvement so other protagonists (who are less powerful but equally interesting) can share the limelight. Some commented that how he handled it was way too convenient, while others (including myself) said it's just okay, as there's not easy way to put a very prominent character at the backstage.

Go to Top of Page

DragonReader
Senior Scribe

USA
371 Posts

Posted - 04 Mar 2013 :  14:48:52  Show Profile  Visit DragonReader's Homepage Send DragonReader a Private Message
I finished The Bride Wore Black Leather by Simon R. Green. Nothing earth shattering for the final book in the seres, but still it was satsfying, fun end to the series.

Then I read Swift, Brutal Retaliation a Nebula nominated short story by Meghan McCarron (you can read it free at http://www.tor.com/stories/2012/01/swift-brutal-retaliation). Very good story.

Now reading Just After Sunset by Stephen King
Go to Top of Page

DragonReader
Senior Scribe

USA
371 Posts

Posted - 04 Mar 2013 :  15:51:10  Show Profile  Visit DragonReader's Homepage Send DragonReader a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

That's good news. But I'd be more interested in hearing about when the second volume of his "Stormlight Archive" receives a definitive release date.

Well at least it has a definite titel now: Words of Radiance.

Tor is still saying release date is "tentatively Fall 2013". I am hoping we see it before the end of the year. The first book was great.
Go to Top of Page

Thauranil
Master of Realmslore

India
1591 Posts

Posted - 05 Mar 2013 :  10:58:07  Show Profile Send Thauranil a Private Message
quote:

quote:

By the way, how did you find Pug's "comatose state" in Rage of the Demon King? In an interview, Ray said he had to limit Pug's powers and involvement so other protagonists (who are less powerful but equally interesting) can share the limelight. Some commented that how he handled it was way too convenient, while others (including myself) said it's just okay, as there's not easy way to put a very prominent character at the backstage.

Yes indeed it is, at least so far. I found the character of general Duko to be very interesting.
As for Pug I too felt that his apparent helplessness seemed a bit contrived, he seems to be getting weaker rather than stronger but I understand that as an author its very difficult to handle a character like that I mean if he just swept in magic blazing form his fingertips and wiped out all the bad guys it would a much less interesting series. So overall I think Pugs character was handled well.
Go to Top of Page

artificial_sunlight
Acolyte

Netherlands
14 Posts

Posted - 05 Mar 2013 :  11:04:24  Show Profile Send artificial_sunlight a Private Message
I'm almost finished Darkwell right now. After that I will read Lord of Lowhill (short story about Pwaldo).

I'm thinking of reading the Druidhome trilogy or I go on where i left with Elminster (temptation)

Dutch FR Story Collector
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 05 Mar 2013 :  13:31:18  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message
quote:

quote:

quote:

Yes indeed it is, at least so far. I found the character of general Duko to be very interesting.
Agreed. He's one of the few from the "enemy" camp whom I liked because he always used his brain. One of my favorite lines from that book was from him. But I don't know how far you are now so I won't say it, in case it'd spoil something for you.

quote:

As for Pug I too felt that his apparent helplessness seemed a bit contrived, he seems to be getting weaker rather than stronger but I understand that as an author its very difficult to handle a character like that I mean if he just swept in magic blazing form his fingertips and wiped out all the bad guys it would a much less interesting series. So overall I think Pugs character was handled well.
Pug's decision in SoaBC really bothered me. I began to question his intelligence. Maybe Ray ran out of ideas on how to handle his favorite character when Midkemia's threat was just mundane as opposed to arcane, demonic, or otherworldly.

Go to Top of Page

Thauranil
Master of Realmslore

India
1591 Posts

Posted - 06 Mar 2013 :  13:58:28  Show Profile Send Thauranil a Private Message
quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Agreed. He's one of the few from the "enemy" camp whom I liked because he always used his brain. One of my favorite lines from that book was from him. But I don't know how far you are now so I won't say it, in case it'd spoil something for you.

quote:

Pug's decision in SoaBC really bothered me. I began to question his intelligence. Maybe Ray ran out of ideas on how to handle his favorite character when Midkemia's threat was just mundane as opposed to arcane, demonic, or otherworldly.

I finished this book today and already I feel like picking up the next one in the series.
I understand what you mean about Pug, his abandoning his kingdom and family seemed to be a extreme response to Prince Patrick's rashness.
A middle ground could have been found, I put it done to all the trauma he had recently suffered including the death of several family members and friends.
Go to Top of Page

Thauranil
Master of Realmslore

India
1591 Posts

Posted - 06 Mar 2013 :  14:00:44  Show Profile Send Thauranil a Private Message
Just got my hands on Prophet of the Dead.
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 06 Mar 2013 :  14:54:56  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message
quote:

I finished this book today and already I feel like picking up the next one in the series.
What order are you following? Publication or chronological in terms of the events in the series?

Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 06 Mar 2013 :  14:59:58  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message
quote:

Just got my hands on Prophet of the Dead.
You'd love that.

I'm itching to start a new thread about the future of the Eminence of Aurant. But it's going to be full of spoilers and in some point requires that the interested scribes should have already read Prophet of the Dead. In fact, I already wrote the whole thing. I'll just wait for maybe a month or two before posting it. By then, I guess many have already read the book.

Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 06 Mar 2013 :  15:09:53  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message

I'm reading Magestorm, a stand-alone Warhammer novel by Jonathan Green. It's quite interesting so far. I'm starting to love Gerhart Brennend.

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36798 Posts

Posted - 06 Mar 2013 :  20:04:52  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message
Finished May Contain Traces of Magic. It's another Tom Holt book that I'll put into the "meh" category. It would have worked better had the events happening to the main character been less jarring, and if the author hadn't again played his game of stating something was A, then saying it was B, then saying it was something else...

He's been a hit-or-miss author, for me. I was introduced to his works by Flying Dutch, which remains a general fave. Faust Among Equals was just as hilarious. Blonde Bombshell had some bits of weirdness, but was overall enjoyable. Falling Sideways lost me with all the flip-flops going on. Little People had potential, but lost it and had a depressing ending.

Starting There Will Be Dragons, now.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 47 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000