Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms Novels
 What are you reading? (2013)
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 47

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31727 Posts

Posted - 23 Feb 2013 :  01:58:29  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

quote:
Originally posted by DragonReader

Now reading The Bride Wore Black Leather, the 12th and final book in the Nightside series by Simon R. Green.
I keep meaning to get in on this series, as I really like Green's fiction.

I've enjoyed some of Green's other stuff, but the one Nightside book I read wasn't enough to make me want to read more. It simply didn't grab me.

I've heard others say that same.

But, for me at least, I like what I've read from Green in the past. And I'll shamefully admit that the titles for most of his books often trigger happy little images in my own mind [The Bride Wore Black Leather being a prime example].

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Clad In Shadows
Learned Scribe

Canada
158 Posts

Posted - 23 Feb 2013 :  02:13:49  Show Profile Send Clad In Shadows a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Entreri3478

quote:
Originally posted by Clad In Shadows

quote:

Finished the final book of the Malazan Book of the Fallen, The Crippled God. I would love to get your opinion on how the series ended if you have read the entire 10 book series; so please PM me with your thoughts on the conclusion.

I don't want to know details, obviously, but did you like it?

It was just ok for me but sadly my least favorite book in the series. I'll tell you exactly why after you have finished it.

It'll be a bit for me. Things have popped up in my personal life that has taken away some of my reading time. I'll also be reading Stonewielder before The Crippled God.
Go to Top of Page

Thauranil
Master of Realmslore

India
1591 Posts

Posted - 23 Feb 2013 :  15:16:28  Show Profile Send Thauranil a Private Message
Starting Charon's Claw. I know it came out ages ago but i kind of needed a break from Drizzt.
Go to Top of Page

Artemas Entreri
Great Reader

USA
3131 Posts

Posted - 23 Feb 2013 :  15:22:15  Show Profile Send Artemas Entreri a Private Message

quote:

It was just ok for me but sadly my least favorite book in the series. I'll tell you exactly why after you have finished it.

quote:

It'll be a bit for me. Things have popped up in my personal life that has taken away some of my reading time. I'll also be reading Stonewielder before The Crippled God.

I believe the events in Orb Sceptre Thone also take place at the same time as The Crippled God.

How would you compare Esslemont's Malazan books to Erikson's? Do you enjoy them as much?

Some people have a way with words, and other people...oh, uh, not have way. -Steve Martin

Amazon "KindleUnlimited" Free Trial: http://amzn.to/2AJ4yD2

Try Audible and Get 2 Free Audio Books! https://amzn.to/2IgBede

Edited by - Artemas Entreri on 23 Feb 2013 15:23:57
Go to Top of Page

Thauranil
Master of Realmslore

India
1591 Posts

Posted - 23 Feb 2013 :  16:04:16  Show Profile Send Thauranil a Private Message
quote:

[quote]

How would you compare Esslemont's Malazan books to Erikson's? Do you enjoy them as much?

Just my two cents, but personally while I enjoyed Esslemonts work especially Night of Knives, his larger novels have failed to grip me, while is something Erikson's work almost always managed to do.
Go to Top of Page

Artemas Entreri
Great Reader

USA
3131 Posts

Posted - 23 Feb 2013 :  16:48:32  Show Profile Send Artemas Entreri a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Thauranil

quote:

[quote]

Just my two cents, but personally while I enjoyed Esslemonts work especially Night of Knives, his larger novels have failed to grip me, while is something Erikson's work almost always managed to do.

I too enjoyed Night of Knives, much more so on my second read through, and I'll be jumping into Return of the Crimson Guard and the others soon enough.

Some people have a way with words, and other people...oh, uh, not have way. -Steve Martin

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36798 Posts

Posted - 23 Feb 2013 :  17:50:27  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message
Finished Unholy Night, started City of the Fallen Sky -- did I mention I'm behind on Pathfinder books?

Next will be May Contain Traces of Magic, by Tom Holt. I loved his book Flying Dutch, but his other stuff has been hit or miss for me -- some has been quite enjoyable, some has been "meh", at best.

That will put me up to 14 new reads for this year, which means I can then start rereading the Weis & Hickman Dragonlance books. Man, I finally come up with a reasonable New Year's resolution, one with a worthy goal and one that I can stick to, and it gets in the way almost immediately! Maybe next year I should go back to my habit of either having no resolution at all, or forgetting about it within days, without ever having done anything!

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Entromancer
Senior Scribe

USA
388 Posts

Posted - 23 Feb 2013 :  22:17:17  Show Profile Send Entromancer a Private Message
The English Assassin: A Romance of Entropy by Michael Moorcock.

The nations of the world are at war with one another. The novel contains seemingly unrelated plot threads following various characters scheming to gain political and martial power, simply surive, or look back on the "good old days" which slowly come together at the conclusion.

This one has stronger, albeit subtle, hints at Jerry Cornelius' identity as an incarnation of the Eternal Champion.

"...the will is everything. The will to act."--Ra's Al Ghul

"Suffering builds character."--Talia Al Ghul
Go to Top of Page

Clad In Shadows
Learned Scribe

Canada
158 Posts

Posted - 24 Feb 2013 :  01:13:16  Show Profile Send Clad In Shadows a Private Message
quote:

quote:

quote:

I believe the events in Orb Sceptre Thone also take place at the same time as The Crippled God.

From what I can gather (and this tends to change depending on the source), Stonewielder, Orb Sceptre Throne, and Blood and Bone all take place at the same time. Roughly the same time as The Crippled God...maybe a little before. Then the final book will be the only book that actually extends beyond the end of Crippled God. But I'll still be reading them all in the order of publication. So Stonewielder, The Crippled God, Orb Sceptre Throne, Forge of Darkness, Blood and Bone, and then the final one and any further in the Karkhanas trilogy.

I'll say that Night of Knives is a completely different beast that any other book in this massive series. It's short and very action-packed. I enjoyed it a lot, but I can't really compare it in any way to the rest of the series. I enjoyed Return of the Crimson Guard, not as much as the main Malazan series. I just started Stonewielder, so I'll let you know what I think of that one when I get further in.

The general consensus on most forums is that Esslemont really comes into his own with Stonewielder. I'm curious to see if this is true.
Go to Top of Page

Jeremy Grenemyer
Great Reader

USA
2717 Posts

Posted - 24 Feb 2013 :  13:59:49  Show Profile Send Jeremy Grenemyer a Private Message
Just finished Elminster Enraged.

Wow. Just wow. I hope it's at least a thousand years before he gets angry again. He makes a sphere of annihilation look positively tame by comparison.

Look for me and my content at EN World (user name: sanishiver).
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 25 Feb 2013 :  19:11:45  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message

I'm halfway through Beautiful Creatures by Kami Garcia and Margaret Stohl. And I intend to finish it before I see the film.

It's fun, full of surprises, and with a narrator you can probably easily relate to.

I've read some reviews from Twilight fans and haters alike comparing this book to Meyer's. I fail to see the similarities (the ones that matter, that is). Beautiful Creatures is more like Charmed, except the female protagonist has the powers of all three sisters, plus Storm's and Jean Grey's. It's told in the male protagonist's POV, and is more a mystery type of fantasy than romance.

The revelation of the antagonist is kinda disappointing, though. I hope there's more to it. Otherwise, it'd feel like any soap opera featuring family feud/drama.

Every beginning has an end.
Go to Top of Page

Artemas Entreri
Great Reader

USA
3131 Posts

Posted - 26 Feb 2013 :  00:09:31  Show Profile Send Artemas Entreri a Private Message
Finished Steven Pressfield's Gates of Fire. Simply amazing. Anyone interested in ancient history or military history simply must read this book. Steven Pressfield has an amazing gift for bringing his stories into the present era.

Edited by - Artemas Entreri on 26 Feb 2013 00:09:56
Go to Top of Page

Aulduron
Learned Scribe

USA
343 Posts

Posted - 26 Feb 2013 :  04:39:50  Show Profile Send Aulduron a Private Message
Just finished Richard Bakers Blades of the Moonsea

"Those with talent become wizards, Those without talent spend their lives praying for it"

-Procopio Septus
Go to Top of Page

Thauranil
Master of Realmslore

India
1591 Posts

Posted - 26 Feb 2013 :  10:24:32  Show Profile Send Thauranil a Private Message
quote:

Finished Steven Pressfield's Gates of Fire. Simply amazing. Anyone interested in ancient history or military history simply must read this book. Steven Pressfield has an amazing gift for bringing his stories into the present era.

Sounds interesting , I ll keep an eye out for it.
The blurb kind of makes it sound like the movie 300.

Edited by - Thauranil on 26 Feb 2013 10:29:45
Go to Top of Page

Thauranil
Master of Realmslore

India
1591 Posts

Posted - 26 Feb 2013 :  10:27:43  Show Profile Send Thauranil a Private Message
Currently I am halfway through Rage of a Demon King, I am enjoying reading about the actual war and large scale battles after all the skirmishing and planning in the previous books.
Go to Top of Page

Artemas Entreri
Great Reader

USA
3131 Posts

Posted - 26 Feb 2013 :  23:12:33  Show Profile Send Artemas Entreri a Private Message
quote:

quote:

The book is similar to the movie the 300, but has much more backstory for certain characters.

Go to Top of Page

Artemas Entreri
Great Reader

USA
3131 Posts

Posted - 26 Feb 2013 :  23:15:44  Show Profile Send Artemas Entreri a Private Message
quote:

quote:

The book is similar to the 300 movie, but is much more solid and not JUST about the action.

Go to Top of Page

Artemas Entreri
Great Reader

USA
3131 Posts

Posted - 26 Feb 2013 :  23:57:47  Show Profile Send Artemas Entreri a Private Message
Started Erikson's First Collected Tales of Bauchelain & Korbal Broach.

Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 27 Feb 2013 :  13:24:56  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message
quote:

Currently I am halfway through Rage of a Demon King, I am enjoying reading about the actual war and large scale battles after all the skirmishing and planning in the previous books.
Indeed. Books 1 and 2 were just "setting up the stage." Rage of a Demon King has a lot of surprises in store for you. And Pug learned a very valuable lesson he would never forget.

Go to Top of Page

Thauranil
Master of Realmslore

India
1591 Posts

Posted - 27 Feb 2013 :  14:28:40  Show Profile Send Thauranil a Private Message
quote:

Started Erikson's First Collected Tales of Bauchelain & Korbal Broach.

This book is hilarious , in a weird kind of way, except for the last story which I found less than amusing being a vegetarian myself. You will know what I mean when you read it.
Go to Top of Page

Thauranil
Master of Realmslore

India
1591 Posts

Posted - 27 Feb 2013 :  14:31:17  Show Profile Send Thauranil a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Dennis

quote:

Indeed. Books 1 and 2 were just "setting up the stage." Rage of a Demon King has a lot of surprises in store for you. And Pug learned a very valuable lesson he would never forget.

I just finished the book.Pug did learn a lot of lessons that's true enough. Though I preferred Marcus the Black original back story , the new one seemed kind of contrived.
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 27 Feb 2013 :  14:51:25  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message
quote:

quote:

quote:

I just finished the book.Pug did learn a lot of lessons that's true enough. Though I preferred Marcus the Black original back story, the new one seemed kind of contrived.
Hmm. Care to share what is it exactly? I only recall his being a magician good, willing, and kind enough to help the Tsuranni magicians drive out the "Enemy" (whose true identity by the way you wouldn't learn until the newer series) as his "back story." Or are you referring to him being Miranda's father?

Edited by - Dennis on 27 Feb 2013 15:27:01
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 27 Feb 2013 :  15:39:46  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message

Fans of Brandon Sanderson and the Mistbon series, be happy:

He's written a Mistborn-themed novel due for release this September. It's called Steelheart. Different setting, different characters, but the blurb makes it sound Mistborn-ish. Though the target audience are YA this time.

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31727 Posts

Posted - 28 Feb 2013 :  00:45:42  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message
That's good news. But I'd be more interested in hearing about when the second volume of his "Stormlight Archive" receives a definitive release date.

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Artemas Entreri
Great Reader

USA
3131 Posts

Posted - 28 Feb 2013 :  01:51:38  Show Profile Send Artemas Entreri a Private Message
It's amazing how some author's (Sanderson) can turn out multiple large books each year while others (Martin) turn out a book every 3-5 years.

Go to Top of Page

Thauranil
Master of Realmslore

India
1591 Posts

Posted - 28 Feb 2013 :  10:01:43  Show Profile Send Thauranil a Private Message
quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

I just finished the book.Pug did learn a lot of lessons that's true enough. Though I preferred Marcus the Black original back story, the new one seemed kind of contrived.
Hmm. Care to share what is it exactly? I only recall his being a magician good, willing, and kind enough to help the Tsuranni magicians drive out the "Enemy" (whose true identity by the way you wouldn't learn until the newer series) as his "back story." Or are you referring to him being Miranda's father?

Basically in the old version Marcos was immortal because his father was cursed with immortality by a prophet who he mocked as he was being lead to his death. Kind of biblical.
In the new version he basically says sorry but that's just a lie I told you I am the chosen of the god of magic.
Hmm that sounds familiar for some reason.
Him being Miranda's father was not really that surprising.
Go to Top of Page

Thauranil
Master of Realmslore

India
1591 Posts

Posted - 28 Feb 2013 :  10:44:12  Show Profile Send Thauranil a Private Message
Just got my hand on the Sisterhood of Dune, good to read some sci fi for a change.
Go to Top of Page

Quale
Master of Realmslore

1757 Posts

Posted - 28 Feb 2013 :  10:53:00  Show Profile Send Quale a Private Message
Finished The Book of Imaginary Beings by Borges and The Castle of Crossed Destinies by Italo Calvino. And The Anome by Jack Vance.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36798 Posts

Posted - 28 Feb 2013 :  11:29:08  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message
quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Basically in the old version Marcos was immortal because his father was cursed with immortality by a prophet who he mocked as he was being lead to his death. Kind of biblical.

Until we got the new backstory, I thought Macros was Merlin. When we first meet him, he mentions a king who died but will return... Then, when he gives his backstory the first time, he mentions the condemned prophet, his father searching for an artifact, and his mother claiming that Macros's father was a demon.

The king who will return and the demonic father sound a lot like Arthurian legends concerning Merlin.

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!

Edited by - Wooly Rupert on 28 Feb 2013 11:30:08
Go to Top of Page

Clad In Shadows
Learned Scribe

Canada
158 Posts

Posted - 28 Feb 2013 :  17:26:10  Show Profile Send Clad In Shadows a Private Message
quote:

quote:

quote:

I'm about halfway through, but I can say Stonewielder is much more enjoyable read so far than Return of the Crimson Guard. Esslemont is not putting so much energy into trying to sound like Erikson and more into developing his own style. Lots of great storylines too.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 47 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000