Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms Novels
 What are you reading? (2013)
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 47

Artemas Entreri
Great Reader

USA
3131 Posts

Posted - 18 Feb 2013 :  16:07:26  Show Profile Send Artemas Entreri a Private Message
Finished the final book of the Malazan Book of the Fallen, The Crippled God. I would love to get your opinion on how the series ended if you have read the entire 10 book series; so please PM me with your thoughts on the conclusion.

Some people have a way with words, and other people...oh, uh, not have way. -Steve Martin

Amazon "KindleUnlimited" Free Trial: http://amzn.to/2AJ4yD2

Try Audible and Get 2 Free Audio Books! https://amzn.to/2IgBede
Go to Top of Page

Artemas Entreri
Great Reader

USA
3131 Posts

Posted - 18 Feb 2013 :  16:08:54  Show Profile Send Artemas Entreri a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Dennis

quote:
Originally posted by Entreri3478

Is there any time separation between the Demonwars and Chaoswars series or does Chaoswars pick up immediately after At the Gates of Darkness?
I don't think it was ever mentioned how many months or years. But it's not that long. My own yardstick is the fate of a certain significant character from Demonwar--and since you hate spoilers, I wouldn't say who and what happened to him/her/it.

The events in Demonwar were but some of the ripples involving the mega-plot of Chaoswar. That's why I mentioned they shouldn't, IMO, have been split.

Anyway, how did you find Amirantha and Laromendis?

They're my new favorites. They maybe novices if compared to the conjurors of pre-Szass Tam Thay, but I did like their personalities, specially the former.

I definitely liked both of those characters and will hopefully get to see plenty of both of them in the Chaoswar books.

Some people have a way with words, and other people...oh, uh, not have way. -Steve Martin

Edited by - Artemas Entreri on 18 Feb 2013 16:09:34
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 18 Feb 2013 :  16:52:04  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message
quote:

Finished the final book of the Malazan Book of the Fallen, The Crippled God. I would love to get your opinion on how the series ended if you have read the entire 10 book series; so please PM me with your thoughts on the conclusion.
That can take awhile. You see, I'm a very "moody" reader. Even if I have all the books in a certain series, I don't always feel compelled to read them consecutively, and it's not because I don't like one or any of them. Just like how I've found WotSQ. I bought all six long ago, but read only three (out of order, actually--books 5, 1, and 2), and liked those three. However, I just haven't felt yet the pull to go back to it. Right now, I'm in the mood for epic but intimate sort of fantasy (you know, The Name of the Wind-type). That's why I'm mostly doing re-reads of Rothfuss, Feist, Canavan, and Miller these days.

Every beginning has an end.
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 19 Feb 2013 :  15:22:06  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message

I'm reading Dragon Forge, Book 2 of The Draconic Prophecies trilogy by James Wyatt.

I'm now on Chapter 35.

[Spoilers]

I hate to write some part-scathing comments on a book whose predecessor I so loved; however, in this case, it can't be helped.

There's a profusion of cardboard, boring characters here, specially the paladin Vor. I hate paladins (and knights), but with Vor, I can't even summon the feeling of dislike. [It's as though he simply exists so Wyatt could fill in his word count.] Yes, that's how boring he is.

Ever wonder what's the most powerful being in Khorvaire? More powerful than the omnipotent dragons of creation? Changeling. Yes, you heard me right: changeling. What on earth was Wyatt thinking—ruining a perfect death with a flimsy resurrection? Darraun is supposed to stay dead, and his master is to get a new spy. No more changeling. What I feared upon reading Book 1, Storm Dragon, happened, unfortunately: the blatant overuse of changeling. It's way too convenient, and cheapens parts of the novel that could otherwise have stayed as pristine as its predecessor.

How many times have Gaven been captured, only to be released again, either by a daunting rescue or because his “warden” is just too stupid? I'd just be more annoyed if I do count the times myself, so I won't. But the point is, even though this is an adventure/epic series, it shouldn't be used as an excuse to keep repeating almost the same adventure.

The second book in a trilogy, usually treated as the “bridge,” is often the weakest in the series. Hopefully this generalization is true, and hopefully we get to see the concluding book salvage whatever this rough rock of a novel managed to single-handedly triturate.

On Argonnessen: A land of dragons is supposed to evoke a sense of surreal wonder, of either palpable magnificence or soul-crushing scourge. Contrary to this assumption, Argonnessen is as boring as the dragons' puny factotums.

On the Labyrinth: It is virtually a layer of hell that spilled into the mortal world. And I'm glad Wyatt sheds some light to some on its defining characteristics. It serves its purpose well—it unveils the characters' true colors. (In a quandary and on the fringes of death is where one truly sheds his skin to reveal the flesh within.)

Will I read on? Yes. Because I haven't given up on Gaven yet. And there are promises in the middle of the book that I'd like to see fulfilled—if not in the end, at least in the next installment.

Go to Top of Page

Artemas Entreri
Great Reader

USA
3131 Posts

Posted - 19 Feb 2013 :  19:38:33  Show Profile Send Artemas Entreri a Private Message
Started The Last Unicorn by Peter S. Beagle.

Edited by - Artemas Entreri on 19 Feb 2013 19:38:50
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36798 Posts

Posted - 19 Feb 2013 :  21:24:15  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message
Reading Unholy Night, right now. It's by the same author as Abraham Lincoln, Vampire Hunter, which I quite enjoyed.

Not sure what's going to be next. I want to read Dune, but I just don't feel like hitting it right now... I may go with one or two of the Pathfinder novels; I'm way behind, there. Island of the Sequined Love Nun looks good, too. I've decided I need to read two more new reads, and then I can read all of the Weis & Hickman Dragonlance books and still stay on my resolution to read more new books than re-reads.

Just finished The Rook, which was quite enjoyable. It was kind of a X-Files/X-Men-style mashup, with a bunch of super-powered folks working for a secret British intelligence agency.

I found one of the characters, Gestalt, to be quite interesting -- Gestalt was a set of four siblings (two were identical twins) with one mind. Not a hive mind, but one consciousness in four bodies (three male, one female). Gestalt could control one or all four bodies at once, to the point of having three bodies engaging in martial arts.

It starts with the main character discovering she has amnesia. In fact, her whole personality was wiped, and it was done by a traitor in her organization. Luckily, she'd been warned well in advance, by psychics -- so she had time to write a series of letters to herself, explaining everything (including the pronunciation of her Welsh first name!). So the "new" person had enough info to be able to fake it, while investigating the treachery (the "original" wasn't able to discover who the traitor was until it was too late). It makes for an interesting, enjoyable read, and the letters functioned quite well as info-dumps without impacting the flow of the story, the way a normal info-dump would.

There is some humor to the book, too, and a fair degree of weirdness in the things the organization handled.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31727 Posts

Posted - 20 Feb 2013 :  01:19:13  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message
quote:

I'm reading Dragon Forge, Book 2 of The Draconic Prophecies trilogy by James Wyatt.
I really need to finish Storm Dragon, so I'm desperately trying not to read what you've spoiled about the second book of the trilogy.

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 20 Feb 2013 :  12:18:29  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

quote:

I really need to finish Storm Dragon, so I'm desperately trying not to read what you've spoiled about the second book of the trilogy.

Haha. Which was good for you, because one of those spoilers bears great significance to the plots of both Storm Dragon and Dragon Forge--in other words, major.

Anyway, the former is way, way better than the latter; though so far, it's improving. I'll try to write a spoiler-free review of DF once I'm done with it.

Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 20 Feb 2013 :  12:22:31  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message
quote:

quote:

quote:

Is there any time separation between the Demonwars and Chaoswars series or does Chaoswars pick up immediately after At the Gates of Darkness?
I don't think it was ever mentioned how many months or years. But it's not that long. My own yardstick is the fate of a certain significant character from Demonwar--and since you hate spoilers, I wouldn't say who and what happened to him/her/it.

The events in Demonwar were but some of the ripples involving the mega-plot of Chaoswar. That's why I mentioned they shouldn't, IMO, have been split.

Anyway, how did you find Amirantha and Laromendis?

They're my new favorites. They maybe novices if compared to the conjurors of pre-Szass Tam Thay, but I did like their personalities, specially the former.
I definitely liked both of those characters and will hopefully get to see plenty of both of them in the Chaoswar books.
They came at the perfect time, for me. Before I read Rides a Dread Legion, I was hungry to see a magic-user outside Pug's immediate and extended family and unrelated to the Conclave of Shadows. And it was a bonus that both hail from two schools (disciplines) of magic that I favor most: necromancy and conjuration.

Go to Top of Page

Thauranil
Master of Realmslore

India
1591 Posts

Posted - 20 Feb 2013 :  13:45:08  Show Profile Send Thauranil a Private Message
Well I have started on book two of the Serpentwar saga, Rise of a Merchant Prince.
Go to Top of Page

Artemas Entreri
Great Reader

USA
3131 Posts

Posted - 20 Feb 2013 :  15:56:13  Show Profile Send Artemas Entreri a Private Message
Now that I've finished the Malazan Book of the Fallen series, I want to read the Malazan empire books to hopefully fill in some missing information for me. Doing a quick re-read of Night of Knives now.

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36798 Posts

Posted - 20 Feb 2013 :  18:27:26  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Thauranil

Well I have started on book two of the Serpentwar saga, Rise of a Merchant Prince.

That one is surprisingly enjoyable, considering that most of its focus is on Roo's merchantile endeavors.

Go to Top of Page

DragonReader
Senior Scribe

USA
371 Posts

Posted - 20 Feb 2013 :  20:37:10  Show Profile  Visit DragonReader's Homepage Send DragonReader a Private Message
Finished "A Dance with Dragons" by George R.R. Martin. Great series so far. Now I must endure the long wiat until the next book :)

Not sure what to read next. Will decuse when I get home.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36798 Posts

Posted - 20 Feb 2013 :  21:15:17  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by DragonReader

Finished "A Dance with Dragons" by George R.R. Martin. Great series so far. Now I must endure the long wiat until the next book :)

My son is almost 2. I figure that by the time the last book of the Song of Ice and Fire comes out, he and I will be reading it together.

Go to Top of Page

Artemas Entreri
Great Reader

USA
3131 Posts

Posted - 20 Feb 2013 :  21:28:59  Show Profile Send Artemas Entreri a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:

My son is almost 2. I figure that by the time the last book of the Song of Ice and Fire comes out, he and I will be reading it together.

...in a retirement home!

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31727 Posts

Posted - 21 Feb 2013 :  00:43:16  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message
quote:

I finished the entire nine-book "Fate of the Jedi" series for the SWU between individual GoT releases. That's one positive with Martin's writing technique... it gives me a lot of time to work through my backlog.

Go to Top of Page

DragonReader
Senior Scribe

USA
371 Posts

Posted - 21 Feb 2013 :  03:15:34  Show Profile  Visit DragonReader's Homepage Send DragonReader a Private Message
quote:
I finished the entire nine-book "Fate of the Jedi" series for the SWU between individual GoT releases. That's one positive with Martin's writing technique... it gives me a lot of time to work through my backlog.

Well I figure the TV series will have caught up, so I won't need to reread the entire series when book #6 come out :)

But, based on ending of book #5, I have a feeling book #6 will be well worth the wait.
Go to Top of Page

DragonReader
Senior Scribe

USA
371 Posts

Posted - 21 Feb 2013 :  03:17:13  Show Profile  Visit DragonReader's Homepage Send DragonReader a Private Message
Oh and I decided to read The Dark Tower: The Man in Black graphic novel. I am a huge fan of the novels and am really enjoying the graphic novels as well.
Go to Top of Page

Thauranil
Master of Realmslore

India
1591 Posts

Posted - 21 Feb 2013 :  10:09:20  Show Profile Send Thauranil a Private Message
quote:

quote:

That one is surprisingly enjoyable, considering that most of its focus is on Roo's merchantile endeavors.

I have almost finished it and I agree with you.
It makes for a refreshing change of pace from his usual fare and helped me appreciate Roo more , though I wish there was a bit more time spent on the other characters.
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 21 Feb 2013 :  12:12:23  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message
quote:

quote:

quote:

I have almost finished it and I agree with you. It makes for a refreshing change of pace from his usual fare and helped me appreciate Roo more , though I wish there was a bit more time spent on the other characters.
We have to agree to disagree. I found that to be the weakest in the series. Most of the events in that book have little to do with the development of the overarching plot of the series. One can even consider it a stand-alone (or a sidetrack). It's only the last part that has some semblance of significance. IMO, of course.

Go to Top of Page

Artemas Entreri
Great Reader

USA
3131 Posts

Posted - 22 Feb 2013 :  00:32:00  Show Profile Send Artemas Entreri a Private Message
Finished up a re-read of Night of Knives, much more enjoyable after reading the Malazan Book of the Fallen and I even bumped it up 1 star on Goodreads.

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36798 Posts

Posted - 22 Feb 2013 :  05:00:37  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message
quote:

quote:

...and to write your own novel... and to clear out a volume or two of the To-Do List... and for the trees that will eventually become the pages of his next novel to be planted...

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31727 Posts

Posted - 22 Feb 2013 :  07:10:29  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message
quote:

quote:

quote:

...and to write your own novel...
Oh, I'm already on that. But hopeful readers shouldn't expect anything until after I've finished with my "To-Do" List.

Go to Top of Page

DragonReader
Senior Scribe

USA
371 Posts

Posted - 22 Feb 2013 :  14:13:54  Show Profile  Visit DragonReader's Homepage Send DragonReader a Private Message
OK, finished The Dark Tower: The Man in Black graphic novel and read The Paladins of Shannara: The Weapons Master's Choice, a short story by Terry Brooks.

Now reading The Bride Wore Black Leather, the 12th and final book in the Nightside series by Simon R. Green.
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31727 Posts

Posted - 22 Feb 2013 :  15:39:15  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message
quote:

Now reading The Bride Wore Black Leather, the 12th and final book in the Nightside series by Simon R. Green.
I keep meaning to get in on this series, as I really like Green's fiction.

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36798 Posts

Posted - 22 Feb 2013 :  17:05:55  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message
quote:

quote:

I keep meaning to get in on this series, as I really like Green's fiction.

I've enjoyed some of Green's other stuff, but the one Nightside book I read wasn't enough to make me want to read more. It simply didn't grab me.

Go to Top of Page

DragonReader
Senior Scribe

USA
371 Posts

Posted - 22 Feb 2013 :  18:35:34  Show Profile  Visit DragonReader's Homepage Send DragonReader a Private Message
quote:
I've enjoyed some of Green's other stuff, but the one Nightside book I read wasn't enough to make me want to read more. It simply didn't grab me.

This series ahs been up and down for me. Some books were quite good, other's not so much. Overall I have enjoyed it, but I would not rank it among my favorites.
Go to Top of Page

Clad In Shadows
Learned Scribe

Canada
158 Posts

Posted - 22 Feb 2013 :  19:40:41  Show Profile Send Clad In Shadows a Private Message
quote:

I don't want to know details, obviously, but did you like it?
Go to Top of Page

Artemas Entreri
Great Reader

USA
3131 Posts

Posted - 23 Feb 2013 :  00:06:51  Show Profile Send Artemas Entreri a Private Message
Started Steven Pressfield's Gates of Fire. Love it so far!

Go to Top of Page

Artemas Entreri
Great Reader

USA
3131 Posts

Posted - 23 Feb 2013 :  00:07:52  Show Profile Send Artemas Entreri a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Clad In Shadows

quote:

I don't want to know details, obviously, but did you like it?

It was just ok for me but sadly my least favorite book in the series. I'll tell you exactly why after you have finished it.

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 47 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000