Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms Novels
 What are you reading? (2013)
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 47

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31727 Posts

Posted - 07 Mar 2013 :  00:53:03  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by DragonReader

quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

That's good news. But I'd be more interested in hearing about when the second volume of his "Stormlight Archive" receives a definitive release date.

Well at least it has a definite titel now: Words of Radiance.

Tor is still saying release date is "tentatively Fall 2013". I am hoping we see it before the end of the year. The first book was great.

Ah, that's good to hear. And the title certainly reaffirms my fascination with the overall system of magic that Sanderson has built into this world. Words do truly have "power."

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Thauranil
Master of Realmslore

India
1591 Posts

Posted - 07 Mar 2013 :  10:34:19  Show Profile Send Thauranil a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Dennis

I'm reading Magestorm, a stand-alone Warhammer novel by Jonathan Green. It's quite interesting so far. I'm starting to love Gerhart Brennend.

i didn't know you were a Warhammer fan. I primarily read warhammer 40k novels but its still good to see a fellow Imperial
Go to Top of Page

Thauranil
Master of Realmslore

India
1591 Posts

Posted - 07 Mar 2013 :  10:40:11  Show Profile Send Thauranil a Private Message
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by Thauranil

I finished this book today and already I feel like picking up the next one in the series.
What order are you following? Publication or chronological in terms of the events in the series?

Hmm publication I guess. A lot of references in the serpent war saga were to apparently earlier books which i have not read yet. So I will start on the krondor series next I guess.
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 08 Mar 2013 :  15:33:10  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message
quote:

quote:

I'm reading Magestorm, a stand-alone Warhammer novel by Jonathan Green. It's quite interesting so far. I'm starting to love Gerhart Brennend.

I didn't know you were a Warhammer fan. I primarily read warhammer 40k novels but its still good to see a fellow Imperial
I haven't yet tried Warhammer 40k, as I'm not really into sci-fi. But who knows, someday I will . . .

I read a couple of Warhammer novels, but not all. The last I read had been a disappointment: Nagash the Sorcerer. I stopped right in the middle part. My fave remains the same: Masters of Magic by Chris Wraight. It's relatively shorter than most Warhammer novels, but it's full of interesting wizards, and Chris paints the setting quite fine.

I'm loving Magestorm too. Almost done with it. Gerhart is like Khelben, Jhesri, and Aoth rolled into one.

And oh, did you know Richard Lee Byers also wrote a Warhammer novel? It's called The Enemy Within. I already have it, and it's next on my To-Read pile.

Every beginning has an end.
Go to Top of Page

Thauranil
Master of Realmslore

India
1591 Posts

Posted - 08 Mar 2013 :  15:40:27  Show Profile Send Thauranil a Private Message
quote:

quote:

quote:

I didn't know you were a Warhammer fan. I primarily read warhammer 40k novels but its still good to see a fellow Imperial
I haven't yet tried Warhammer 40k, as I'm not really into sci-fi. But who knows, someday I will . . .

I read a couple of Warhammer novels, but not all. The last I read had been a disappointment: Nagash the Sorcerer. I stopped right in the middle part. My fave remains the same: Masters of Magic by Chris Wraight. It's relatively shorter than most Warhammer novels, but it's full of interesting wizards, and Chris paints the setting quite fine.

I'm loving Magestorm too. Almost done with it. Gerhart is like Khelben, Jhesri, and Aoth rolled into one.

And oh, did you know Richard Lee Byers also wrote a Warhammer novel? It's called The Enemy Within. I already have it, and it's next on my To-Read pile.
Really, I didnt know that. I ll be sure to check that out. Like I said I am mostly a warhammer 40k fan but that doesn't stop me from reading outstanding books form warhammer.

Go to Top of Page

Artemas Entreri
Great Reader

USA
3131 Posts

Posted - 08 Mar 2013 :  23:36:14  Show Profile Send Artemas Entreri a Private Message
Finished Terry Goodkind's Wizard's First Rule. Smooth flowing linear story line. Nothing fantastic but still enjoyed it enough to continue the series.

Some people have a way with words, and other people...oh, uh, not have way. -Steve Martin

Amazon "KindleUnlimited" Free Trial: http://amzn.to/2AJ4yD2

Try Audible and Get 2 Free Audio Books! https://amzn.to/2IgBede
Go to Top of Page

Yoss
Learned Scribe

USA
259 Posts

Posted - 10 Mar 2013 :  07:01:16  Show Profile Send Yoss a Private Message
Ok, starting The Blade Itself for real this time. Cos I know I've said at least a half dozen times I was going to start reading it and didn't.

I swear, since i caught up to real-time release dates on Drizzt books, I've felt compelled to re-read servant of the shard after each new one. And now I want to re-read it again. Damn thing, it's already tied with my most times read book, which would be Catcher in the Rye. Too many books, too little time...too many books....

Edited by - Yoss on 10 Mar 2013 07:01:53
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 10 Mar 2013 :  13:58:46  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message

I'm reading Van Horstmann, a Warhammer Heroes novel by Ben Counter. Egrimm is such an interesting character. Not your typical cackling, crazed villain. He possesses the disciplined mind of a scholar, the patience of an immovable mountain, and a seemingly unending thirst for magical lore. He deems reality as what it maybe, and shapes it to what he thinks it should be. I am uncertain yet whether the Fell Gods, or at least the God of Lies, has a tight grip on him, or he's simply letting him to so he could continue with his agenda. He's Nagash in the making, and hopefully better.

This he said, albeit only meant half of it:

quote:
“What we do,” said van Horstmann, “is necessary. Without the wizards of the colleges of Altdorf, the Empire is lost. Perhaps the world itself. The agents of the Fell Powers can be met only by the combination of the sword and the spell. Our work is as necessary as the maintenance of soldiers or the rule of the emperors. There can be little room for wonders when we must devote every moment to the survival of our people.”

Go to Top of Page

Artemas Entreri
Great Reader

USA
3131 Posts

Posted - 10 Mar 2013 :  15:26:00  Show Profile Send Artemas Entreri a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Yoss

Ok, starting The Blade Itself for real this time. Cos I know I've said at least a half dozen times I was going to start reading it and didn't.

I swear, since i caught up to real-time release dates on Drizzt books, I've felt compelled to re-read servant of the shard after each new one. And now I want to re-read it again. Damn thing, it's already tied with my most times read book, which would be Catcher in the Rye. Too many books, too little time...too many books....

Hope you enjoy The Blade Itself!. Awesome book

Some people have a way with words, and other people...oh, uh, not have way. -Steve Martin

Go to Top of Page

Artemas Entreri
Great Reader

USA
3131 Posts

Posted - 10 Mar 2013 :  18:51:56  Show Profile Send Artemas Entreri a Private Message
Reading Stone of Tears by Terry Goodkind

Go to Top of Page

Thauranil
Master of Realmslore

India
1591 Posts

Posted - 12 Mar 2013 :  10:47:38  Show Profile Send Thauranil a Private Message
I finally finished Prophet of the Dead, a very enjoyable book. I just wish more novels were set in Rashemen. Though it was originally supposed to be a trilogy the book did not feel rushed except for the possibly the ending where the bad guys got massacred. But it was a well written climax so I am not complaining. Hope it doesn't take long for the next Brotherhood of the Griffon book to come out.
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 13 Mar 2013 :  13:18:05  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message
quote:

I'm reading Van Horstmann, a Warhammer Heroes novel by Ben Counter. Egrimm is such an interesting character. Not your typical cackling, crazed villain. He possesses the disciplined mind of a scholar, the patience of an immovable mountain, and a seemingly unending thirst for magical lore. He deems reality as what it maybe, and shapes it to what he thinks it should be. I am uncertain yet whether the Fell Gods, or at least the God of Lies, has a tight grip on him, or he's simply letting him to so he could continue with his agenda. He's Nagash in the making, and hopefully better.

This he said, albeit only meant half of it:

quote:
“What we do,” said van Horstmann, “is necessary. Without the wizards of the colleges of Altdorf, the Empire is lost. Perhaps the world itself. The agents of the Fell Powers can be met only by the combination of the sword and the spell. Our work is as necessary as the maintenance of soldiers or the rule of the emperors. There can be little room for wonders when we must devote every moment to the survival of our people.”

I'm almost done with this.

Van Horstmann's introspection reminds me of Tezzeret's from Matthew Stover's Test of Metal. His dichotomous world view is not surprising for readers who are rather well-versed in this type of theme in fantasy, yet he tweaked some notions that might in one way or another truly surprise readers.

His view on fate or chance is best encapsulated in his thoughts about how an emperor is chosen and remains on his throne:

quote:
It was entirely up to chance. That was how the world worked, if it was permitted. Chance. "I will not permit it," whispered van Horstmann. "Chance will not rule me."

The battles are depicted quite well, both large scale and gladiator-type. At some point, though, you might find yourself quite torn between wanting the protagonists win or having the villains slaughtered.

I'm starting to like this more than Chris Wraight's Masters of Magic.

Edited by - Dennis on 15 Mar 2013 15:45:36
Go to Top of Page

Entromancer
Senior Scribe

USA
388 Posts

Posted - 13 Mar 2013 :  18:27:33  Show Profile Send Entromancer a Private Message
Actually, Matt Stover wrote Test of Metal. What did you think of it, Dennis? I enjoyed Stover's take on Nicol Bolas; the greater community seems to despise the novel.

"...the will is everything. The will to act."--Ra's Al Ghul

"Suffering builds character."--Talia Al Ghul
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31727 Posts

Posted - 14 Mar 2013 :  02:34:20  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message
I really need to track down a copy of that book [remembering back to when Dennis first mentioned it to me]. Matt Stover's long been one of my favourite authors...

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Yoss
Learned Scribe

USA
259 Posts

Posted - 14 Mar 2013 :  11:17:42  Show Profile Send Yoss a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Entreri3478

quote:
Originally posted by Yoss

Hope you enjoy The Blade Itself!. Awesome book

I'm liking it so far, but when my Internet went down yesterday and cut short my video game playing plans, I opted to re-read some James Joyce instead. What jerk reads Ulysses for fun? Me. Only cos I couldn't find my copy of Dubliners, though. I'm not that much of a jerk...

Edited by - Yoss on 14 Mar 2013 11:18:17
Go to Top of Page

Artemas Entreri
Great Reader

USA
3131 Posts

Posted - 15 Mar 2013 :  00:14:54  Show Profile Send Artemas Entreri a Private Message
Finished Terry Goodkind's Stone of Tears, book 2 of the Sword of Truth series. Pretty solid sequel to the first book.

Go to Top of Page

realmsrider
Acolyte

USA
48 Posts

Posted - 15 Mar 2013 :  03:14:51  Show Profile Send realmsrider a Private Message
quote:

quote:

quote:

I'm glad to hear you liked this. Sword of Justice and Sword of Vengeance are kind of sequels to this book.
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 15 Mar 2013 :  15:26:50  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Entromancer

Actually, Matt Stover wrote Test of Metal. What did you think of it, Dennis? I enjoyed Stover's take on Nicol Bolas; the greater community seems to despise the novel.
You're right. I had them mixed up, most likely because they're my two fave "new" MtG authors. Test of Metal and Agents of Artifice are simply awesome.

I posted my review on the former in the long-ago-sealed "What are you reading? 2011" thread. Here it is:

Test of Metal by The New York Times best-selling author Matthew Stover is the third book in the Planeswalker series set in the captivating worlds of Magic: The Gathering (MtG). The artificer Tezzeret has been left “brain-dead” by the mind mage Jace Belleren after their battle (which is detailed in the novel Agents of Artifice by Ari Marmell). Nicol Bolas, whom Tezzeret worked for a long time ago, undoes Jace's spells and revives the wily artificer. Then the dragon sets Tezzeret to a mission: find the sphinx Crucius the Mad, the creator of the mana-channeling metal, etherium, so he may learn how to create such extremely valuable metal. Will Tezzeret do the dragon's bidding? Does he have a choice?

Before you grab this book, be sure to read its prequel, Agents of Artifice by Ari Marmell, because there are so many events in this novel that alludes to Marmell's (one and only) MtG work.

Brilliant and provocative story-telling, evocative settings that are artistically splashed with a myriad of colors, strong characterization, well-thought dialogs with a dash of humor, and very engaging battle scenes, Test of Metal is a sure winner in every way. It shows what a fantasy novel should be like.

Stover uses time in some quite interesting ways, albeit at times perplexing. Time travel in the book is referred to as “clockworking.” There are several realities presented in every given time line. Clockworkers (or mages who can travel through time) can jump from one reality to another and can therefore affect or cancel that reality. In this regard, some battles are won not only by sheer power, but by cunning as well.

The characters in this book are as 3-D as they can possibly be, particularly Tezzeret. Now, for those who have already read Agents of Artifice, you may find many of Tezzeret's actions here quite contrary to his “former” self. But fret not, for he himself says that he has changed, and admits that what he does are probably opposite to what his former self would have done. If there is one thing he is able to retain, it is his cunning and ingenuity. I am fascinated by his present view of himself. He says, “I am not a name, and no word truly names me. Who I am is a fluid concept.” He refuses to be put in a box, to be restrained by a name or a label which he may or may not be.

His giftedness also captivates me. He says, “The normal progress through the Mechanists’ Guild from student to master is seventeen years; seven years as a student—essentially an apprentice, save that one must pay for the privilege—and ten years as a journeyman. I was a master in five.” Despite his high regard of himself, he never throws caution to the air, nor deludes himself that no being could ever be above and beyond him. He simply acknowledges his gifts and puts them to optimum use.

He does not want to be sentimental, and strives to be as emotionally adamant as he can be. And I guess that very want is what makes his actions deeply moving – some scenes would pierce the heart of even the toughest reader. Tezzeret realized his mistake and says, “To take from people who already have nothing is too vile, even for me. I am not known for honesty, nor for fidelity. I don’t think I’ve ever made a promise I haven’t broken. Except, apparently, this one.” I will not spoil the scene for you. But I must say that for one who, without showing a tiny shred of conscience, killed hundreds of people, either by necessity or as a collateral damage, to admit to himself the folly of his deeds and to feel for the people he has so selfishly done wrong, is utterly touching...

The conflict of Bolas and Tezzeret can be best summarized by these words from the latter: “I know it’s a shock. But at your age, you should have learned that many truths we regard as immutable are, in fact, surprisingly context dependent. For example, when I acknowledged earlier that you are the most powerful being in the Multiverse, it would have been more precise to say: in the rest of the Multiverse.” The ending might leave you somewhat dissatisfied, as it does me. But I understand the need for it. The reestablishment of power of one of the main characters in the book is simply for continuity's sake.

Overall, it's an amazing novel that I highly recommend to all fantasy readers. It even makes me consider trying the author's other (non-MtG) books.

Out of 10 possible stars, I give it 9.

Edited by - Dennis on 15 Mar 2013 15:47:40
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 15 Mar 2013 :  15:31:00  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

I really need to track down a copy of that book [remembering back to when Dennis first mentioned it to me]. Matt Stover's long been one of my favourite authors...
I couldn't recommend it high enough.

Go to Top of Page

Entromancer
Senior Scribe

USA
388 Posts

Posted - 16 Mar 2013 :  01:43:31  Show Profile Send Entromancer a Private Message
Rereading Hawkmoon: The Jewel in the Skull by Michael Moorcock. My headcanon for the Dark Empire of Granbretan is firing nonstop, having read some of his other works.

Dennis, was it you who asked me about The Twilight Reign in the old thread?

If so, I'd say try to make it to the second book. The Twilight Herald is more indicative of the rest of the series than The Stormcaller. It looks at fanaticism and individuality through an epic sword and sorcery lens. Lloyd knocks Isak down by a few pegs and weaves an intriguing moral dilema for the heroes.

Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 16 Mar 2013 :  12:49:34  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Entromancer

Dennis, was it you who asked me about The Twilight Reign in the old thread?

If so, I'd say try to make it to the second book. The Twilight Herald is more indicative of the rest of the series than The Stormcaller. It looks at fanaticism and individuality through an epic sword and sorcery lens. Lloyd knocks Isak down by a few pegs and weaves an intriguing moral dilema for the heroes.
Yes, it was I.

I'm not sure if I'll be revisiting The Stormcaller or if I'll give any of the sequels a try. Isak annoyed me, and it would have been bearable if only a quarter of the book is devoted to him. Unfortunately, he's in almost every damn page. It's okay to have impulsive anti-heroes or villains, but I also prefer them to show a-cut-above-the-rest intelligence. Isak, in my opinion, stands close to being stupid, if not truly stupid.

Go to Top of Page

Thauranil
Master of Realmslore

India
1591 Posts

Posted - 16 Mar 2013 :  13:33:50  Show Profile Send Thauranil a Private Message
A bit of a dry spell currently so I am just reading a lot of manga like Sket Dance right now.
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 16 Mar 2013 :  13:47:35  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message
quote:

A bit of a dry spell currently so I am just reading a lot of manga like Sket Dance right now.
Try reading some yaoi manga, it'll definitely end the dry spell.

Go to Top of Page

Thauranil
Master of Realmslore

India
1591 Posts

Posted - 16 Mar 2013 :  14:53:08  Show Profile Send Thauranil a Private Message
quote:

quote:

Try reading some yaoi manga, it'll definitely end the dry spell.

Sure but only if you try out some Yuri manga first.
Go to Top of Page

Entromancer
Senior Scribe

USA
388 Posts

Posted - 16 Mar 2013 :  17:34:42  Show Profile Send Entromancer a Private Message
Read Kentaro Miura's manga, Berserk. It'll end your dry spell just like yaoi/yuri, only it has a better plot and more fascinating characters than the other garbage.

Go to Top of Page

Artemas Entreri
Great Reader

USA
3131 Posts

Posted - 16 Mar 2013 :  19:37:48  Show Profile Send Artemas Entreri a Private Message
Started R. Scott Bakker's The Darkness That Comes Before.

Go to Top of Page

Clad In Shadows
Learned Scribe

Canada
158 Posts

Posted - 18 Mar 2013 :  17:27:33  Show Profile Send Clad In Shadows a Private Message
Started Steven Erikson's The Crippled God a few days ago. My reading has been pretty sparse in the last few weeks due to some heavy travelling. I'm back in the swing of things now though.
Go to Top of Page

Artemas Entreri
Great Reader

USA
3131 Posts

Posted - 18 Mar 2013 :  22:10:13  Show Profile Send Artemas Entreri a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Clad In Shadows

Started Steven Erikson's The Crippled God a few days ago. My reading has been pretty sparse in the last few weeks due to some heavy travelling. I'm back in the swing of things now though.

Be sure to let me know what you think when you are finished! PM so we can talk specifics without spoiling it for anyone else.

Go to Top of Page

Thauranil
Master of Realmslore

India
1591 Posts

Posted - 19 Mar 2013 :  13:02:18  Show Profile Send Thauranil a Private Message
Just got my hands on Faith and fire, warhammer 40000 novel about the sisters of battle. As there aren't that many novels that focus on them I hope this book doesn't disappoint.
Go to Top of Page

Artemas Entreri
Great Reader

USA
3131 Posts

Posted - 19 Mar 2013 :  22:27:12  Show Profile Send Artemas Entreri a Private Message
Finished The Darkness that Comes Before. I did enjoy this book and thought it was a pretty solid opening for a trilogy. However, those of you who do not have more tolerance or patience for the build-up of a story might not enjoy this book. There are several major events that begin to unfold at the same time and they are clearly going to come to climax in the latter books. There were also a few portions where I really wish the author would have provided more information.

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 47 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000